Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash
    Blog Entries

Canada Around the CFL - 2020

Because I got tired of seeing "2019" in the other thread...

Main items of the new year, as previously posted:

- The usual NFL exodus, including Stanback, Begelton, Roberson, Usher, Addison, and Rose, to name a few.

- Als' situation still up in the air.

- Ottawa acquires rights to Nick Arbuckle.
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Ottawa pulls a Ed Hervey and gets the rights to Nick Arbuckle from the Stamps. A 3rd pick going to Calgary if Ottawa signs him before free agency.
    The way I read that they get the 3rd now whether Ottawa signs him or not. There is another conditional pick that will go to Calgary if Ottawa does sign him.

vCash

I hope they're not thinking of Arbuckle as a potential instant starter/saviour in Ottawa. Arbuckle's success is as much a product of the Calgary system as Bo's is. He's going to need a bit more time and development.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    The way I read that they get the 3rd now whether Ottawa signs him or not. There is another conditional pick that will go to Calgary if Ottawa does sign him.
    Yes, I also read something about how the compensation will increase (ie. in addition to the 3rd round pick) if he signs.

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I hope they're not thinking of Arbuckle as a potential instant starter/saviour in Ottawa. Arbuckle's success is as much a product of the Calgary system as Bo's is. He's going to need a bit more time and development.
    It sounds like the reason Marcel Desjardins made this trade is because he believes Arbuckle can/will be their starter, based on comments quoted on Twitter. He specifically mentioned the Cgy vs Ottawa game in which Arbuckle played. However, I agree with you. The Calgary system played a huge role.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Yes but LaPolice seems to have a high rep for his systems. I think Ottawa makes for a better situation than Toronto where Dinwiddie is making a big leap from QBC to HC. Veteran offensive coach with previous HC experience + inexperienced starter has a much better chance of succeeding versus rookie HC + inexperienced starter.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Agree re: Calgary's system. That O-line could make Steven Jyles look like an all-star.
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Agree re: Calgary's system. That O-line could make Steven Jyles look like an all-star.
    and NEVER getting called for holding....

vCash

Looks like new owners for the Als' will be announced today.

vCash

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

The CFL must be relieved this mess looks finally to be over. Hopefully this is the long term solution for the Als. I was hoping for a local ownership but nothing there seemed to satisfy the CFL. Maybe with a solid group in charge now some of the people that turned down the GM position might have a change of heart. Looks like they have someone in mind. Wonder if Wally takes the job on a short term basis. Just as long as the red Menace does not resurface there.

vCash

Stern also said the next Als president will be fluent in French and that he (ownership) will have a very hands off approach to the team allowing management to do what they do. Said he didn't expect a money maker out of the gate, but he has a lot of faith because of the longevity of the CFL. Also joked and said while he respects Caretaker Bob, he was wondering if he could get his draft picks back.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 01-06-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash
    Blog Entries

Looks like the Stamps would also get the 1st overall pick in the upcoming draft if the RBs actually sign Arbuckle in addition to the 3rd round pick for the right to negotiate with him before he reaches FA. Pretty good return if that scenario plays out...https://3downnation.com/2020/01/05/s...nick-arbuckle/
    Last edited by adb; 01-06-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Rick Campbell to do double duty as DC, so that still leaves Noel Thorpe available.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 01-06-2020 at 12:54 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Rick Campbell to do double duty as DC, so that still leaves Noel Thorpe available.
    Surprising that Thorpe is not joining Campbell. Maybe Thorpe is joining another CFL team. Hopefully a western one. Good to see Maksymic land on his feet. A lot of ex Esks on that staff.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Looks like the Stamps would also get the 1st overall pick in the upcoming draft if the RBs actually sign Arbuckle in addition to the 3rd round pick for the right to negotiate with him before he reaches FA. Pretty good return if that scenario plays out...https://3downnation.com/2020/01/05/s...nick-arbuckle/
    Apparently it would be a swap of 1sts with Calgary's 6th overall going to Ottawa. Would amount to a 3rd and moving up 6 spots for Calgary with Ottawa dropping 6 spots and surrendering their 3rd. If Arbuckle proves to be the long term QB solution in Ottawa that's a bargoon. Conversely Calgary does quite well getting the 3rd and upgrade for somebody who would be walking in 5 weeks. Win win for both sides IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Surprising that Thorpe is not joining Campbell. Maybe Thorpe is joining another CFL team. Hopefully a western one. Good to see Maksymic land on his feet. A lot of ex Esks on that staff.
    In his introductory press conference when he joined BC Campbell effectively announced that his DC would be Rick Campbell.

vCash

Apparently it would be a swap of 1sts with Calgary's 6th overall going to Ottawa. Would amount to a 3rd and moving up 6 spots for Calgary with Ottawa dropping 6 spots and surrendering their 3rd. If Arbuckle proves to be the long term QB solution in Ottawa that's a bargoon. Conversely Calgary does quite well getting the 3rd and upgrade for somebody who would be walking in 5 weeks. Win win for both sides IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

In his introductory press conference when he joined BC Campbell effectively announced that his DC would be Rick Campbell.
    Darn, must have missed out on that presser.

vCash
    Blog Entries

talk about bizarre...3downnation sure puts up some weird stuff from time to time...https://3downnation.com/2020/01/06/b...widdie-report/
    Last edited by adb; 01-06-2020 at 01:43 PM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Darn, must have missed out on that presser.
    Have to get out of bed earlier next time Jack.

vCash

oh dear god... I wouldn't wish that on any CFL club.

vCash

God I hope that prick stays far far away from the CFL!

vCash

Just as we think Montreal gets out of their mess, they may get pulled right back down with the hiring of Rhodes.

Let's hope that isn't the case at all for them.

vCash

Just as we think Montreal gets out of their mess, they may get pulled right back down with the hiring of Rhodes.

Rhodes is Chair at the AGLC, a pretty cushy part time gig that would pay 6 figures. It might be a nice semi retirement job that he is happy with; I'm not sure.

vCash

vCash

Instead of basking in a bright new light they’d be drowning in a sea of ketchup. One would hope the new owners are smarter than that. The one at the press conference seemed to know where it’s at.

vCash

Len Rhodes has just released a statement saying he will not be involved in the Montreal Als organization.

“I know my name has come up regarding the president’s role in Montreal. Many friends and family members have reached out to me,” Rhodes wrote in a text message Tuesday while vacationing in Jamaica. “I am staying in Edmonton. I love my role as chair of Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis.”

Aside from that, Postmedia has learned the 56-year-old is also a candidate in the upcoming Servus Credit Union board election.
    https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...-for-alouettes

Next batter up... Danny Maccocia?

vCash

Maciocia? Possibly for GM but absolutely not for Club President unless there something about his background I'm not aware of. Club President really needs to have some solid business chops.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Len Rhodes has just released a statement saying he will not be involved in the Montreal Als organization.

“I know my name has come up regarding the president’s role in Montreal. Many friends and family members have reached out to me,” Rhodes wrote in a text message Tuesday while vacationing in Jamaica. “I am staying in Edmonton. I love my role as chair of Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis.”

Aside from that, Postmedia has learned the 56-year-old is also a candidate in the upcoming Servus Credit Union board election.
    https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...-for-alouettes

Next batter up... Danny Maccocia?
    Maciocia? Possibly for GM but absolutely not for Club President unless there something about his background I'm not aware of. Club President really needs to have some solid business chops.
    Agreed. I think DM is better suited to GM than President. However, don’t really think that’s his wheelhouse either - at least not at the CFL level. (Canadian University head coaches are essentially GMs too, aren’t they?)

In my opinion, DM loves coaching. For his sake, I’d like to think Edmonton was a huge learning curve & experience & he (& a lot of others) suffered as a result & he applied it & that’s why the Carabins have done well.
    It’s kind of backwards (pro to uni)....but I do think he deserves another chance in the CFL in some capacity, at least as a co-ordinator. That can go 1 of 2 ways -you hope for John Harbaugh, but for DM in Edmonton it was too much too soon.

vCash

As GM I think he'd be the right hire for them. He's done REALLY well at the USports/CIS level. I think and hope he's learned from mistakes he made in Edmonton. Plus, he's got a French background, which the owners wanted.

vCash

As GM I think he'd be the right hire for them. He's done REALLY well at the USports/CIS level. I think and hope he's learned from mistakes he made in Edmonton. Plus, he's got a French background, which the owners wanted.
    And at the end of the day, as brutal as he was for the team standings wise, I've never wished him ill. He tried, but failed, but I never had any issue with DM the person or community member. He genuinely seemed like a good guy that you hope learned something from it all to become better.

If he did, he'd be a solid guy for a team like Montreal.