Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Unfortunately, I see your point. If we moved the schedule up early enough for Mother's Day, I'd gladly have a Mother's Day game as well, but I can't see a league game being played as early as May 8th.
    Starting the season on Mother's Day means starting training camps around April 10th just in time for Canadian hockey fans to get emotionally involved in playoff hockey in what can be 3 to 5 CFL markets. I wonder how many sessions might get snowed out in the Prairies?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Starting the season on Mother's Day means starting training camps around April 10th just in time for Canadian hockey fans to get emotionally involved in playoff hockey in what can be 3 to 5 CFL markets. I wonder how many sessions might get snowed out in the Prairies?
    Exactly why I can't see it happening, unless they held training camps down south like Baseball does.

vCash

To Bone's point on rivalry games it's pretty hard to push that. It's all fine and dandy to try loading up the early part of the season that waybut then you wind up with a heavy slate of West vs East matches for the all important final stretch run for playoff positioning. Seems to me there's no end of complaining when the tail end of the season plays out that way.

Also complicating that is the very fact it seems to now be mandated that the grand-daddies of all rivalries are played on Labour Day with rematches the following weekend. Unless it's a year when the Stamps and Esks and Bombers and Riders get slated for a 3rd game those season series start and finish in a period of 8 days.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 08-20-2020 at 01:51 PM.

vCash

Exactly why I can't see it happening, unless they held training camps down south like Baseball does.
    True. For a league badly in need of doing business in a more cost efficient manner it would make no sense whatsoever to balloon TC costs by going that route.

vCash

To Bone's point on rivalry games it's pretty hard to push that. It's all fine and dandy to try loading up the early part of the season that waybut then you wind up with a heavy slate of West vs East matches for the all important final stretch run for playoff positioning. Seems to me there's no end of complaining when the tail end of the season plays out that way.

Also complicating that is the very fact it seems to now be mandated that the grand-daddies of all rivalries are played on Labour Day with rematches the following weekend. Unless it's a year when the Stamps and Esks and Bombers and Riders get slated for a 3rd game those season series start and finish in a period of 8 days.
    Yeah, I thought more on this after and considering every team in the CFL plays a western division team 10 times and an eastern opponent 8 times, and if we went to 16 games this would be even more balanced, you probably can't load it up with divisional rivalries completely at the beginning or the end without blowing up the Labour Day rematches.

Perhaps that's something on the table though. I could be talked into getting a Father's Day classic vs. the Stamps in Commonwealth every year instead of the rematch Saturday game.

Back to the balancing/rivalries, maybe they can't focus too much on the divisional rivalry thing, but they do need to get away from those stretches where the teams play 3 or 4 straight outside their division though.

Thinking of natural rivalry games though that aren't regionally based. The Grey Cup rematch should always be week 1 which they've been doing. Perhaps that same week you have the Division Runner Ups play each other, then the Semi-Final losers play each other and finally one non-playoff qualifier from each Division play each other. Puts some emphasis on that first game for everyone while playing out of their division.

Second week (Father's Day) could be the Divisional Championship rematches and the next best rivalries within division.

Third and fourth weeks maybe do a back to back featuring East West matchups to get two of those out of the way quickly, while still building the intensity by the fact it is back to back (the bye obviously impacts this somewhat, so some work would be needed to figure this out by maybe making one of the back to backs into Week 5). This timeline would line up with Canada Day, so perhaps get creative with the schedule to allow for at least one Canada Day game regardless of the day of the week.

They could also consider doing the double up of week 1 into Week 2 and make that father's day game interesting while being out of division and the non-playoff 3 teams could do a mini-round robin Weeks 1-3 where all three of them play each other for their first 2 games to maybe kick start the most improved of the three.

From there on out try to make sure no more than two games in a row are out of Division, or maybe even do another out of division back to back sometime in August.

They just need to get more creative and find key marketing days. They've done well with Labour Day, so let's make Father's Day, Canada Day and Thanksgiving Monday big events as well.

Here's a sample using this year's schedule using some of these thoughts you'd get a start something like this.

Week 1
    Winnipeg at Hamilton
    Edmonton at Saskatchewan
    Montreal at Calgary
    BC at Toronto

Week 2 (Father's Day)
    Hamilton at Winnipeg
    Saskatchewan at Edmonton
    Calgary at Montreal
    Ottawa at BC

Week 3
    Winnipeg at Saskatchewan
    Edmonton at Hamilton
    Toronto at Ottawa

Week 4
    Calgary at BC on Canada Day
    and go from there.
    Last edited by bone; 08-20-2020 at 02:48 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Ambrosie has stated several times that he is in favour of moving the season forward a month and having the Grey Cup in early November, if not late October. I have a feeling that TSN isn't a fan of having their broadcasts go up against the Stanley Cup finals in Canada on a competing station, so that might be where the push-back is from.
    There may be pushback from more than a couple of CFL markets. So far the idea of moving the season earlier seems to be a Prairie-centric idea. I don't know that there's much appetite for it elsewhere. For sure whenever the idea is brought up on Lionbackers there's very little support for it.

vCash

There may be pushback from more than a couple of CFL markets. So far the idea of moving the season earlier seems to be a Prairie-centric idea. I don't know that there's much appetite for it elsewhere. For sure whenever the idea is brought up on Lionbackers there's very little support for it.
    Naturally in a dome, you don't care about the weather. In Southern Ontario which has three teams and isn't quite as cold in November it's not as big a deal, but no one goes in Toronto regardless of the weather.

But there are four teams where you can realistically see -30 weather in the playoffs. That's a big deal at managing ticket sales. Ultimately, I'm not a huge fan of going as far as BLM suggested and making CFL March-September, but really, if you used this years starting date and dropped two games and one bye week, the closing week on the schedule would have been Thanksgiving with Grey Cup being November 1st. Wouldn't that be a reasonable compromise?
    Last edited by bone; 08-24-2020 at 08:50 AM.

vCash

Interesting idea for the fans and the league... and it might help pay some bills
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Interesting idea for the fans and the league... and it might help pay some bills
    In other words. Please donate $350 for something of no real value!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

But at least we can use our unused Season Seat credits towards it right? Right? I mean, come on! That's worth it right there... Yeesh... The friggin certificate is digital! They don't even send you an actual copy?!?!? WTF? How many names are going on this thing? Grrrr.

To top it all off...it goes through Ticketmaster so there's probably a bunch of BS fees on top of the $350.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    But at least we can use our unused Season Seat credits towards it right? Right? I mean, come on! That's worth it right there... Yeesh... The friggin certificate is digital! They don't even send you an actual copy?!?!? WTF? How many names are going on this thing? Grrrr.
    Yeah, like seriously. If I'm paying $350 to have my name etched on an unearned trophy to be stored lord knows where, couldn't they at least print the certificate on high quality paper stock and send?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Would have made more sense to me to create a symbolic replica 2020 CFL Grey Cup ring. Since the GC isnt being awarded to a specific team this year then why not symbolically award it to the fans. You could personalize the ring with a fan's name and their team logo. I might even pay more for something like that especially if they were to engrave the actual GC with an entry for 2020 on it that could somehow link the ring to it. This idea of a stand is real lame IMO.
    Last edited by adb; 08-24-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Would have made more sense to me to create a symbolic replica 2020 CFL Grey Cup ring. Since the GC isnt being awarded to a specific team this year then why not symbolically award it to the fans. You could personalize it with a fan's name and their team logo. Heck I'd even open it up to old Baltimore Stallion and potential Atlantic Schooners fans. I might even pay more for something like that especially if they were to engrave the actual GC with an entry for 2020 on it that could somehow link the ring to it. This idea of a stand is real lame IMO.
    This idea is WAY better than what they've come out with...

vCash

Yeah, like seriously. If I'm paying $350 to have my name etched on an unearned trophy to be stored lord knows where, couldn't they at least print the certificate on high quality paper stock and send?
    Read the article; your name isn't going on the trophy.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I think that's what bone was implying. At least that's the gist I got from it. You gotta wonder, if it's roughly four feet high and four feet wide how many fricken names are going to be on that base? Yikes...

vCash

To top it all off...it goes through Ticketmaster so there's probably a bunch of BS fees on top of the $350.
    I used my 10% bonus season tix credit for kids up front stupid trophy idea
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I had a hard time understanding what exactly it was from the video and pictures as it looked like a completely different trophy with the weird angles, now I understand it's a stand for the trophy to sit on. Doesn't change my opinion on the idea though.

vCash

I had a hard time understanding what exactly it was from the video and pictures as it looked like a completely different trophy with the weird angles, now I understand it's a stand for the trophy to sit on. Doesn't change my opinion on the idea though.
    Yeah, the video was pretty ambiguous. That's why I suggested to read the article. Love it or hate it, some DO like it, and at least they're doing something that is outside the box to raise some funds. I've seen many already take advantage of this. If I were to do this, I'd put my son's name on it - at least then it is something cool he can show his friends later, and maybe it gets someone to check out the CFL that otherwise wouldn't. I don't blame them for trying it anyway.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I don't mind the idea. Although it's clearly (at least in part) a money-making scheme, who can begrudge them seeking to add to their depleted coffers at this time? And the way they chose was to honour the fan base that makes the league possible. I can imagine some people being proud to fork over the cash to know that, when the GC is awarded next November, their name is on the base that the trophy is standing on.

At first I thought it was a bit hokey. But after thinking a bit, I don't mind it.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I don't mind the idea. Although it's clearly (at least in part) a money-making scheme, who can begrudge them seeking to add to their depleted coffers at this time? And the way they chose was to honour the fan base that makes the league possible. I can imagine some people being proud to fork over the cash to know that, when the GC is awarded next November, their name is on the base that the trophy is standing on.

At first I thought it was a bit hokey. But after thinking a bit, I don't mind it.
    I guess I'm softening a bit on it as well. It's definitely not something I'd be willing to pay for myself but power to those who do.

vCash

Sounds like that is exactly what will happen. For sure the Lions are offering that. They also will be putting the names of those who sign up onto a plaque to be displayed beside the BC Lions Wall of Fame in the BC Place concourse. As an attendee of the past 37 Grey Cups it is definitely an intriguing concept to me but certainly not for everybody.

It's probably going through Ticketmaster because for most, if not all, teams ticket accounts including STs are managed through TM. So much easier for the teams to manage.

From the email I received from the Lions this morning:

The CFL Grey Cup Fan Base ushers in the next evolution of the ultimate fan experience, by taking the illustrious championship trophy to new heights, raised by the names of thousands of devout fans engraved directly into the design.

The Grey Cup “Fan Base” will be featured under the Grey Cup within the Canadian Football Hall of Fame during the year and make visits across the country. Plus, your name will be listed along with other BC Lions fans in a special wall display adjacent to the BC Lions’ Wall of Fame inside Gate A at BC Place.

As our most loyal fans, Season Ticket Holders are offered a number of exclusive benefits. Not only is inclusion on the Fan Base available to you at a reduced rate of $349 (plus tax), a savings of $50 over public pricing, you may also apply any credit you have on your account to offset the cost of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and become part of Canadian Football League history.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 08-24-2020 at 09:39 PM.

vCash

Naturally in a dome, you don't care about the weather. In Southern Ontario which has three teams and isn't quite as cold in November it's not as big a deal, but no one goes in Toronto regardless of the weather.

But there are four teams where you can realistically see -30 weather in the playoffs. That's a big deal at managing ticket sales. Ultimately, I'm not a huge fan of going as far as BLM suggested and making CFL March-September, but really, if you used this years starting date and dropped two games and one bye week, the closing week on the schedule would have been Thanksgiving with Grey Cup being November 1st. Wouldn't that be a reasonable compromise?
    I'm somebody who thinks sports belong in certain seasons. Football does not belong in the spring. I have a hard enough time getting excited about the CFL starting training camps on the May long weekend much less close to Easter. At least in Kamloops, unlike the prairies, there's next to zero chance of training camp sessions being snowed out in early to mid-April.

vCash

I guess I'm softening a bit on it as well. It's definitely not something I'd be willing to pay for myself but power to those who do.
    I hear you bone. The attraction for me comes from a long history of going to Grey Cup. It would be like a personal legacy thing. However if I was just a long-time ST holder and/or non-ST fan who only went to occasional Grey Cups or only GCs in Vancouver I'd pass on it.

vCash

The CFL should reduce their schedule to 16 games and start 1 week earlier with only 1 bye week. Then voila! Thanksgiving Grey Cup and everyone gets the Monday off work to recover.

See? Solving the world's problems is easy.

vCash

Not a surprise at this time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    The CFL should reduce their schedule to 16 games and start 1 week earlier with only 1 bye week. Then voila! Thanksgiving Grey Cup and everyone gets the Monday off work to recover.

I like it!!!
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

That would be a fun negotiation trying to convince the players to take the 11.1% pay cut to go along with the 11.1% fewer games. TSN might have just as much fun trying to negotiate the corresponding 11.1% reduction in what the CFL gets for the TV contract. For fans it would only be at the cost of 1 home game but that would mean a slight increase of 10% to 11.1% of the ST price being wasted on a preseason game. Better yet how about we keep the regular season schedule at 18 and dump the preseason games that are vastly overpriced for what they provide? I never use my own preseason ticket. Sometimes I find somebody to give it away to. Most of the time I can't find anybody to take it.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 08-25-2020 at 09:00 AM.

vCash

That would be a fun negotiation trying to convince the players to take the 11.1% pay cut to go along with the 11.1% fewer games. TSN might have just as much fun trying to negotiate the corresponding 11.1% reduction in what the CFL gets for the TV contract. For fans it would only be at the cost of 1 home game but that would mean a slight increase of 10% to 11.1% of the ST price being wasted on a preseason game. Better yet how about we keep the regular season schedule at 18 and dump the preseason games that are vastly overpriced for what they provide? I never use my own preseason ticket. Sometimes I find somebody to give it away to. Most of the time I can't find anybody to take it.
    You're not wrong. But to make the game a bigger thing they will have to do things like what I outline. Grey Cup on Thanksgiving weekend would be a national holiday party. And there's lots of other things they need to do as well. Quite honestly, TSN and their coverage is a HUGE part of the problem, IMO.

The CFL will have to look at major changes to make the CFL season more exciting. Hell, I'd even be okay with a 12 game season. Every game matters.

vCash

Grey Cup on Thanksgiving weekend would be a national holiday party.
    So tie it in to the always highly anticipated first big weekend of the NHL season that hits every CFL market outside of Regina?

A major draw back with that sort of thing is that it blows the CFL Draft and other related recruiting things out of the water. As it was this year the CFL Draft was only 5 days after the NFL Draft and CFL TCs opened just 16 days later. Move the season up to where you play GC on Thanksgiving and the Draft becomes even more of a crap shoot than it already is. CFL teams would be drafting totally blind to NFL interests in the prospects. Draft would have to go around April 1st with the possibility any players worthy of 1st or early 2nd round consideration will wait to see how their NFL interests work out. Certainly the CFL regular season would already be underway by the time NFL rookie mini-camps might weed a few of the CFL drafted prospects out. Any CFL prospect who succeeds in getting to an NFL TC would basically be lost to the CFL until the following season as the CFL regular season would be almost over by the time final NFL cuts are made.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 08-25-2020 at 11:29 AM.

vCash

So tie it in to the always highly anticipated first big weekend of the NHL season that hits every CFL market outside of Regina?

A major draw back with that sort of thing is that it blows the CFL Draft and other related recruiting things out of the water. As it was this year the CFL Draft was only 5 days after the NFL Draft and CFL TCs opened just 16 days later. Move the season up to where you play GC on Thanksgiving and the Draft becomes even more of a crap shoot than it already is. CFL teams would be drafting totally blind to NFL interests in the prospects. Draft would have to go around April 1st with the possibility any players worthy of 1st or early 2nd round consideration will wait to see how their NFL interests work out. Certainly the CFL regular season would already be underway by the time NFL rookie mini-camps might weed a few of the CFL drafted prospects out. Any CFL prospect who succeeds in getting to an NFL TC would basically be lost to the CFL until the following season as the CFL regular season would be almost over by the time final NFL cuts are made.
    Fine. Keep the status quo and watch the frickin' thing die because we're too chicken shyte to exist alongside other sports.