Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
Results 901 to 930 of 942

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

  1. #901
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    941
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    129

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Fine. Keep the status quo and watch the frickin' thing die because we're too chicken shyte to exist alongside other sports.
    For the record I'm against moving the season up a single day earlier than it already is. That's just my own personal feeling regardless of when any other sports operate or what competition they might be to the CFL. Football is not meant to be a spring sport IMO. It's a summer and fall sport. Seems suicidal to me to try opening up head-to-head with NHL playoffs, NBA playoffs in a country that feasts on hockey and now Raptor hoops. Also seems a bit perplexing to want a regular season to end when minor football, high school football and college football are just getting started. Would that not get those kids associating themselves even more on NFL football for their hero worship than they already are?
    Last edited by Hammer24; 08-26-2020 at 09:04 AM.

  2. #902
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    335

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    For the record I'm against moving the season up a single day earlier than it already is. That's just my own personal feeling regardless of when any other sports operate or what competition they might be to the CFL. Football is not meant to be a spring sport IMO. It's a summer and fall sport. Seems suicidal to me to try opening up head-to-head with NHL playoffs, NBA playoffs in a country that feasts on hockey and now Raptor hoops. Also seems a bit perplexing to want a regular season to end when minor football, high school football and college football are just getting started. Would that not get those kids associating themselves even more on NFL football for their hero worship than they already are?
    Finding someway to end the season even the first weekend of November would be a great help IMO. The weather just seems to have such a negative impact on the quality of the GC game (the league's biggest showcase) when it is scheduled towards the end of the month as it is now especially when it is played on the prairies.
    Last edited by adb; 08-26-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  3. #903
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    26,047
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    235

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    For the record I'm against moving the season up a single day earlier than it already is. That's just my own personal feeling regardless of when any other sports operate or what competition they might be to the CFL. Football is not meant to be a spring sport IMO. It's a summer and fall sport. Seems suicidal to me to try opening up head-to-head with NHL playoffs, NBA playoffs in a country that feasts on hockey and now Raptor hoops. Also seems a bit perplexing to want a regular season to end when minor football, high school football and college football are just getting started. Would that not get those kids associating themselves even more on NFL football for their hero worship than they already are?
    The problem is that winter, in Canada, often starts in the middle of October. Yet they play for a month after that. Better spring than winter. And the CFL has to be open to doing things a lot differently in the future.

  4. #904
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,005
    vCash
    21432
    Rep Power
    233

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    That would be a fun negotiation trying to convince the players to take the 11.1% pay cut to go along with the 11.1% fewer games. TSN might have just as much fun trying to negotiate the corresponding 11.1% reduction in what the CFL gets for the TV contract. For fans it would only be at the cost of 1 home game but that would mean a slight increase of 10% to 11.1% of the ST price being wasted on a preseason game. Better yet how about we keep the regular season schedule at 18 and dump the preseason games that are vastly overpriced for what they provide? I never use my own preseason ticket. Sometimes I find somebody to give it away to. Most of the time I can't find anybody to take it.
    Eliminating pre-season games essentially yields the same result DDS and I have been throwing out there schedule wise, so I could get behind it.

  5. #905
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,005
    vCash
    21432
    Rep Power
    233

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    The problem is that winter, in Canada, often starts in the middle of October. Yet they play for a month after that. Better spring than winter. And the CFL has to be open to doing things a lot differently in the future.
    Yes, but I think splitting the difference and making the final game of the regular season Thanksgiving with the Grey Cup at the end of October or first few days of November is a good compromise.

    If we're too worried about moving up the schedule too much, reduce the schedule. Let's face it, the current 27 week + training camp season is too long for a country with such a small summer.

    I understand the argument of battling NBA/NHL playoffs for viewership, but really by May 1st they are well into the second round normally and by Victoria Day we're usually only down to 4 teams. Those games at that point are all evening games so you can avoid them by having just one Friday night game in a city without an NHL team and afternoon games for the other three games for the first couple weeks to start the season.

    The league can't be so afraid of a little competition as to continue with an unreasonable schedule as currently set up. At this point everything needs to be on the table to position the league for long term sustainability.

    Shorter schedules may actually increase the interest as every game matters a little bit more.
    Last edited by bone; 08-26-2020 at 12:28 PM.

  6. #906
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,049
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    229

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Also seems a bit perplexing to want a regular season to end when minor football, high school football and college football are just getting started. Would that not get those kids associating themselves even more on NFL football for their hero worship than they already are?
    HS football is more than half over at Thanksgiving. I do think mid October is too early to end. End of October is better.

    HS football playoffs are hampered pretty much each year by poor field conditions in Alberta.

  7. #907
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,410
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    For the record I'm against moving the season up a single day earlier than it already is. That's just my own personal feeling regardless of when any other sports operate or what competition they might be to the CFL. Football is not meant to be a spring sport IMO. It's a summer and fall sport. Seems suicidal to me to try opening up head-to-head with NHL playoffs, NBA playoffs in a country that feasts on hockey and now Raptor hoops. Also seems a bit perplexing to want a regular season to end when minor football, high school football and college football are just getting started. Would that not get those kids associating themselves even more on NFL football for their hero worship than they already are?
    Your response is exactly the reason the CFL is dying. A reluctance to change anything. When do we typically have our best weather in Canada? May, June, July, August, September. So why wouldn't you want to have as much of your season when the weather is at it's best? Weather typically starts cooling off the first part of October and steadily declines. By the time it's November, it can be full on winter. When is the football usually at it's worst every year meaning sloppy, full of penalties? Preseason and the first few weeks of the season. So you are right, you'd be going up against the NHL playoffs if you started in May. OH WELL. That's when the football is hard to watch anyway. Plus there is only 9 CFL teams, 8 of which can play at 1 time. Why not have an East-West game on Saturday and an East- West game on Sunday. Start the east game at 1 pm eastern time, 11 our time. then have the West game at 2. It's extremely rare to have a hockey game mid day on a Saturday or Sunday, especially in the playoffs. Usually the games are at 5 pm and 8 pm. So if you do what I suggest, you aren't competing against hockey. By the time the football is done, the hockey hasn't even started.

    When is the best football? Usually mid season or around labour day. So if you move up the schedule, when you have your absolute best product on the field, you are in the prime weather of our country. Is there anything better than being in the stands on a nice sunny day in my shorts with a cold beer? Not in my books. But instead as it sits today, when the football is at its absolute best, all the teams and players know the systems, all the new guys to the league should know the rules so it's not a penalty parade, the games are played as our weather is declining. Any leagues showcase is the playoffs and the ultimate prize, the championship game. So when does the CFL play their crown jewel of their games? When the weather is at it's worst. Guys are slipping all over the field because the field is snow covered or a sheet of ice. Guys can't catch the ball because the ball is a rock and their hands are frozen. Wow, great football!!!

    If you have more games when the weather is at it's prime, there is a better chance that the casual fan will walk up and come. The casual fan is not going to go to a game when it's freezing cold, or there is a blizzard or the weather just flat out sucks. If you want more fans to come then you have to make it so it's more appealing. Sitting in the stands freezing your ass off, huddled under a blanket as the wind howls is not appealing.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 08-27-2020 at 08:38 AM.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

  8. #908
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,005
    vCash
    21432
    Rep Power
    233

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Your response is exactly the reason the CFL is dying. A reluctance to change anything. When do we typically have our best weather in Canada? May, June, July, August, September. So why wouldn't you want to have as much of your season when the weather is at it's best? Weather typically starts cooling off the first part of October and steadily declines. By the time it's November, it can be full on winter. When is the football usually at it's worst every year meaning sloppy, full of penalties? Preseason and the first few weeks of the season. So you are right, you'd be going up against the NHL playoffs if you started in May. OH WELL. That's when the football is hard to watch anyway. Plus there is only 9 CFL teams, 8 of which can play at 1 time. Why not have an East-West game on Saturday and an East- West game on Sunday. Start the east game at 1 pm eastern time, 11 our time. then have the West game at 2. It's extremely rare to have a hockey game mid day on a Saturday or Sunday, especially in the playoffs. Usually the games are at 5 pm and 8 pm. So if you do what I suggest, you aren't competing against hockey. By the time the football is done, the hockey hasn't even started.

    When is the best football? Usually mid season or around labour day. So if you move up the schedule, when you have your absolute best product on the field, you are in the prime weather of our country. Is there anything better than being in the stands on a nice sunny day in my shorts with a cold beer? Not in my books. But instead as it sits today, when the football is at its absolute best, all the teams and players know the systems, all the new guys to the league should not the rules so it's not a penalty parade, the games are played as our weather is declining. Any leagues showcase is the playoffs and the ultimate prize, the championship game. So when does the CFL play their crown jewel of their games? When the weather is at it's worst. Guys are slipping all over the field because the field is snow covered or a sheet of ice. Guys can't catch the ball because the ball is a rock and their hands are frozen. Wow, great football!!!

    If you have more games when the weather is at it's prime, there is a better chance that the casual fan will walk up and come. The casual fan is not going to go to a game when it's freezing cold, or there is a blizzard or the weather just flat out sucks. If you want more fans to come then you have to make it so it's more appealing. Sitting in the stands freezing your ass off, huddled under a blanket as the wind howls is not appealing.
    What's mind boggling to me is that despite June being the third warmest month of the year, up until recently, no actual league games would happen in June and the only reason they started to do so was to accommodate bye weeks. I understand not wanting training camps as early as April since they are mostly outdoors and poor weather is likely, but the whole month of June should feature regular season league games. By June 1st, you are dealing with at most 3 games per week in each of the NHL and NBA. It doesn't require much effort to minimize the schedule conflicts.
    Last edited by bone; 08-26-2020 at 04:34 PM.

  9. #909
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    941
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    129

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    HS football is more than half over at Thanksgiving. I do think mid October is too early to end. End of October is better.

    HS football playoffs are hampered pretty much each year by poor field conditions in Alberta.
    Guess it depends on provinces. In BC HS football championships are held in late November

  10. #910
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    941
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    129

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    What's mind boggling to me is that despite June being the third warmest month of the year, up until recently, no actual league games would happen in June and the only reason they started to do so was to accommodate bye weeks. I understand not wanting training camps as early as April since they are mostly outdoors and poor weather is likely, but the whole month of June should feature regular season league games. By June 1st, you are dealing with at most 3 games per week in each of the NHL and NBA. It doesn't require much effort to minimize the schedule conflicts.
    In Edmonton June might be the 3rd warmest month but it's also the 2nd wettest after July. After those two the wettest months are August, May, September and October. I don't get to Alberta often in the summer but I've sat through heavy rains and even delays it seemed like every 2nd game I saw in Edmonton or Calgary in July and August in the past half dozen seasons. Just luck of the draw and coincidence for sure but that was the reality on those days. A couple of the coldest, rawest games I ever attended were on drizzly wet days in Regina in September 2008.

  11. #911
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    26,047
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    235

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Boggles my mind that folks would rather watch football in 4 weeks of winter than 2 weeks of spring.

  12. #912
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,540
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    303

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Boggles my mind that folks would rather watch football in 4 weeks of winter than 2 weeks of spring.
    Same. If only there were more people like me that didn't watch hockey...
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

  13. #913
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,410
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    What's mind boggling to me is that despite June being the third warmest month of the year, up until recently, no actual league games would happen in June and the only reason they started to do so was to accommodate bye weeks. I understand not wanting training camps as early as April since they are mostly outdoors and poor weather is likely, but the whole month of June should feature regular season league games. By June 1st, you are dealing with at most 3 games per week in each of the NHL and NBA. It doesn't require much effort to minimize the schedule conflicts.
    Generally the weather in April is way better than in November. But you are totally right, what are they doing in June? Holding training camp and playing garbage unwatchable preseason games. You could have camp starting in May when usually the weather is decent, typically a hell of a lot better than November. Then be playing games by May Long weekend or just after. Usually the tipping point for our weather is Halloween. So why not have it so the Grey Cup is being handed out at the end of October? Moving the season up just 1 month, is HUGE for our weather.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

  14. #914
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,410
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Boggles my mind that folks would rather watch football in 4 weeks of winter than 2 weeks of spring.
    100% agree. I'll take a 10 degree spring day where I have to wear pants instead of shorts and have to bring a wind breaker jacket vs a -15 degree day with the wind in November any freaking day. I bet if you asked the players, almost every one of them would say the same damn thing. My wife is not a big football fan but I can tell you it would be a way easier sell to go to a spring game than a winter game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Guess it depends on provinces. In BC HS football championships are held in late November
    You keep bringing up HS football as a factor to consider, how are they linked? It's not like HS football is a feeder system to the CFL. The reason the HS season is so late is the kids don't get to school till September.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

  15. #915
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,005
    vCash
    21432
    Rep Power
    233

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    100% agree. I'll take a 10 degree spring day where I have to wear pants instead of shorts and have to bring a wind breaker jacket vs a -15 degree day with the wind in November any freaking day. I bet if you asked the players, almost every one of them would say the same damn thing. My wife is not a big football fan but I can tell you it would be a way easier sell to go to a spring game than a winter game.
    The other factor to me is that cooler weather in May or June is always more welcome because we're coming out of the freezing cold winter. Come October/November after enjoying the summer the cold weather feels more oppressive.

  16. #916
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,005
    vCash
    21432
    Rep Power
    233

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    In Edmonton June might be the 3rd warmest month but it's also the 2nd wettest after July. After those two the wettest months are August, May, September and October. I don't get to Alberta often in the summer but I've sat through heavy rains and even delays it seemed like every 2nd game I saw in Edmonton or Calgary in July and August in the past half dozen seasons. Just luck of the draw and coincidence for sure but that was the reality on those days. A couple of the coldest, rawest games I ever attended were on drizzly wet days in Regina in September 2008.
    Going to 8+ games per year since 1996, I can tell you that the last few years seems to be a run of bad luck. I used to joke that God was EE fan because no matter the weather of the day, it cleared up for kickoff with usually only one or two exceptions a season.

    The last couple years, it has been more of an issue than in the past, but last year the weather actually wasn't bad at the games, unfortunately though the forecast typically said it would be, which scared away the crowds, but last year was pretty good in the building.

    The thing to understand in Edmonton is that our rain tends to come in storms. We have more sunshine than many places in Canada, but when the rain comes expect an hour or two of carnage, and in the wetter months of summer that's sometimes daily. Very seldomly do we get socked in for a day or two in a row, so we just need a little more luck again and have the storms happens at 4 in the afternoon instead of 7 or 8 in the evening.

    All of that said, rain could be more of a factor for the teams in Southern Ontario early in the season. Assuming that's where you are from, is that the case?
    Last edited by bone; 08-27-2020 at 09:04 AM.

  17. #917
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,410
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    You are never going to get perfect weather no matter when you start but it's all about playing the percentages. Generally weather in Canada tends to be better in May and June than November.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

  18. #918
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,662
    vCash
    625
    Rep Power
    371

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    All of that said, rain could be more of a factor for the teams in Southern Ontario early in the season. Assuming that's where you are from, is that the case?
    Hammer24 is from BC, and cheers for the team in Vancouver... which is why I find complaining about rain amusing.
    #PizStrong

    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  19. #919
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    26,047
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    235

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Same. If only there were more people like me that didn't watch hockey...
    If the CFL can't thrive alongside other, bigger leagues then they should pack it in.

  20. #920
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,005
    vCash
    21432
    Rep Power
    233

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Hammer24 is from BC, and cheers for the team in Vancouver... which is why I find complaining about rain amusing.
    Ah.. I thought the Hammer meant he was a Hamilton fan. I was wrong.

  21. #921
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,662
    vCash
    625
    Rep Power
    371

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Ah.. I thought the Hammer meant he was a Hamilton fan. I was wrong.
    Ironically, give your own nickname on here, it's short for Hambone, I believe.
    #PizStrong

    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  22. #922
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,005
    vCash
    21432
    Rep Power
    233

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Ironically, give your own nickname on here, it's short for Hambone, I believe.
    It's been a lifelong nickname and I also thought it fits well with the Brotherhood Of Nasty E's. But it's easy to make these kinds of mistakes.

  23. #923
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,725
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1893

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  24. #924
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    335

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    More cost cutting measures initiated by CFL...https://3downnation.com/2020/09/02/c...ancial-crisis/
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  25. #925
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,725
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1893

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020



    If you've ever met Brodie, you would know that she is a super nice person and a huge CFL supporter. She has been an extension of the friendly, open bond fans have had with the league that I feel former commish Mark Cohon started years ago. Wishing her well during the off-season and hoping she is part of the re-start in 2021
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  26. #926
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park
    Posts
    4,988
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    I'm just hoping there is a restart in 2021.

  27. #927
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,410
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    I am in the same boat. I just don't know if they will survive. To survive, they need to change things yet there seems to be a big reluctance to change anything in the CFL. Off the top of my head, I think they need too:

    - Do a complete overhaul of how they operate on the business side for all teams. You can't have 1/3 to half your league losing money every year.

    - They need some changes to how the game is played. The game is not attracting new fans so they need to find out why. Sure it has to do with marketing but there is more to it and it isn't because of TV. Other leagues in all sports with great TV pack their stands for games. The NFL is massive and has a huge following even in Canada, why don't some of those NFL guys go to any CFL games? I get it, the best football guys go play in the NFL, so what. For most people, going to see an NFL game live is not a reality. The season's don't completely overlap, what is stopping NFL guy from going to watch CFL games from time to time? The games aren't so different that NFL guy can't go to watch decent football. Lots of the CFL guys played at the same colleges all the NFL stars did, some played on the same NFL teams. NHL fans in Edmonton go to Oil Kings games or AJHL games or U of A games yet the NHL is superior product. So find out why NFL guy is against going to a CFL game? Maybe they don't go to all of them but you should be able to get them to go to some.

    - They need changes to how players are compensated as we have seen a massive shift towards paying QB's these massive contracts and in order to do that, teams have to skimp on other guys which as a result dilutes the talent of the team. I know QB's have always been the highest paid guys in the league and always will be but it's gotten crazy. Reilly and Mitchell make like 750K. I bet the next highest paid guy on their teams might make 1/3 of that, probably less. Even on the Esks, Harris was making something like 550K. What would the next highest guy be 1/3 of that? So they need a cap on QB's salaries or maybe make it so only a certain portion counts on the cap. Something has to change because the quality of the talent on teams is going down because so much of the cap gets spent on QB's.

    - I have argued for awhile about the Canadian ratio being too high because there simply is not enough Canadian talent to meet the needs of the CFL especially when the NFL is taking more and more guys every year from Canada. So to meet the demands of teams, you have Canadian starters who probably at best are back ups and back ups who probably shouldn't be on the team. That dilutes the talent and ultimately the product of the league AND also inflates salaries for Canadians. If you are a decent Canadian starter, because the supply is so low, you probably get more money than you should. Maybe they need to make it where if you are an American and you have played X amount of years in they CFL and you live in Canada because some of these guys make their CFL City their home, you get deemed a Canadian. You could limit the amount of these types of guys that you are allowed to deem as Canadian but do something to increase the talent level in the league. I know the argument from some is about wanting to give opportunities to Canadians. Is this a pro league where you want to put the best product on the field or a league to give Canadians a chance? When I go to watch a game live or on TV, I want to watch the best football I can and where a guy is from doesn't matter to me what so ever. There are flat out guys in the CFL who have jobs only because of their passport and if a team had a choice, they wouldn't because they aren't good enough.

    - I think a simple change is moving the season up to maximize the Canadian weather. Even a couple of weeks could make a huge difference. All but one are outdoor stadiums so watching a game in nicer weather is flat out more enjoyable for most people. That's a fact. Yet it doesn't seem to be considered
    Last edited by Sectionq; 09-09-2020 at 09:06 AM.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

  28. #928
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    335

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I am in the same boat. I just don't know if they will survive. To survive, they need to change things yet there seems to be a big reluctance to change anything in the CFL. Off the top of my head, I think they need too:

    - Do a complete overhaul of how they operate on the business side for all teams. You can't have 1/3 to half your league losing money every year.

    - They need some changes to how the game is played. The game is not attracting new fans so they need to find out why. Sure it has to do with marketing but there is more to it and it isn't because of TV. Other leagues in all sports with great TV pack their stands for games. The NFL is massive and has a huge following even in Canada, why don't some of those NFL guys go to any CFL games? I get it, the best football guys go play in the NFL, so what. For most people, going to see an NFL game live is not a reality. The season's don't completely overlap, what is stopping NFL guy from going to watch CFL games from time to time? The games aren't so different that NFL guy can't go to watch decent football. Lots of the CFL guys played at the same colleges all the NFL stars did, some played on the same NFL teams. NHL fans in Edmonton go to Oil Kings games or AJHL games or U of A games yet the NHL is superior product. So find out why NFL guy is against going to a CFL game? Maybe they don't go to all of them but you should be able to get them to go to some.

    - They need changes to how players are compensated as we have seen a massive shift towards paying QB's these massive contracts and in order to do that, teams have to skimp on other guys which as a result dilutes the talent of the team. I know QB's have always been the highest paid guys in the league and always will be but it's gotten crazy. Reilly and Mitchell make like 750K. I bet the next highest paid guy on their teams might make 1/3 of that, probably less. Even on the Esks, Harris was making something like 550K. What would the next highest guy be 1/3 of that? So they need a cap on QB's salaries or maybe make it so only a certain portion counts on the cap. Something has to change because the quality of the talent on teams is going down because so much of the cap gets spent on QB's.

    - I have argued for awhile about the Canadian ratio being too high because there simply is not enough Canadian talent to meet the needs of the CFL especially when the NFL is taking more and more guys every year from Canada. So to meet the demands of teams, you have Canadian starters who probably at best are back ups and back ups who probably shouldn't be on the team. That dilutes the talent and ultimately the product of the league AND also inflates salaries for Canadians. If you are a decent Canadian starter, because the supply is so low, you probably get more money than you should. Maybe they need to make it where if you are an American and you have played X amount of years in they CFL and you live in Canada because some of these guys make their CFL City their home, you get deemed a Canadian. You could limit the amount of these types of guys that you are allowed to deem as Canadian but do something to increase the talent level in the league. I know the argument from some is about wanting to give opportunities to Canadians. Is this a pro league where you want to put the best product on the field or a league to give Canadians a chance? When I go to watch a game live or on TV, I want to watch the best football I can and where a guy is from doesn't matter to me what so ever. There are flat out guys in the CFL who have jobs only because of their passport and if a team had a choice, they wouldn't because they aren't good enough.

    - I think a simple change is moving the season up to maximize the Canadian weather. Even a couple of weeks could make a huge difference. All but one are outdoor stadiums so watching a game in nicer weather is flat out more enjoyable for most people. That's a fact. Yet it doesn't seem to be considered
    Agree with most of your points although if you look at attendance for Edmonton Oil King games it is not that great. They were averaging 7000 per game just before being shut down this past season and their tickets aren't that expensive. That league doesn't have to pay its players though so the attendance figure is not as big of an issue since they can make it work financially with fewer fans. I have been a proponent of not touching the ratio ever since I can remember. To me having Canadians aspiring to make the CFL is important and for that they need role models to watch as they grow up but your point regarding available Canadian talent is a fair argument. For me to get behind such a plan it would have to be very conservative. A player would have to have played and lived in Canada for at least 5 years consecutively and a team would not be allowed to designate more than 2 or 3 of these players as part of the 21 and they could not be starters. I would not be opposed to allowing them to come in for an injured Canadian as part of the starting 7 if there was a way to prevent teams from faking an injury to get them on the field but I don't think there would be a way of doing that.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  29. #929
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,918
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    249

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    We use to see 40k plus for every home game. Now we are lucky to scrape up 30k. (( 'Course thats if there is ever another season. ( and with Randy as Commish I, sadly, have my doubts)).

    Whats the huge difference? IMO its the fact every game is now on tv for the home city. If you wanted to see the Esks live you had to go to the game. Now you can say meh fook it I'll watch on tv. I've done this a couple times myself.


    CFL is a gate driven league. We need people to go to the games. Having every home game for the teams is hurting that.




    I had no issue going to the game and if it was a gooder watching it or pvring it when it was rebroadcast at Midnight.

    Maybe that should return

  30. #930
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,410
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Agree with most of your points although if you look at attendance for Edmonton Oil King games it is not that great. They were averaging 7000 per game just before being shut down this past season and their tickets aren't that expensive. That league doesn't have to pay its players though so the attendance figure is not as big of an issue since they can make it work financially with fewer fans. I have been a proponent of not touching the ratio ever since I can remember. To me having Canadians aspiring to make the CFL is important and for that they need role models to watch as they grow up but your point regarding available Canadian talent is a fair argument. For me to get behind such a plan it would have to be very conservative. A player would have to have played and lived in Canada for at least 5 years consecutively and a team would not be allowed to designate more than 2 or 3 of these players as part of the 21 and they could not be starters. I would not be opposed to allowing them to come in for an injured Canadian as part of the starting 7 if there was a way to prevent teams from faking an injury to get them on the field but I don't think there would be a way of doing that.
    I am not advocating to get rid of the ratio all together, just get it to a level that is sustainable. The fortunes of your team should not rest on if your Canadians remain healthy, yet that is the case. A team loses a single Canadian starter and their roster is completely turned upside down a lot of times. That shouldn't happen. If you go down the list of teams starting Canadians, there tends to be a steep drop off from starter to back up. There is a reason a guy is a starter and not a back up but the drop off shouldn't do too drastic. How many times have we seen an injury happen and then some Canadian has to go play safety and he has no clue what he is doing? He's trying his hardest but he's just not capable of doing the job.

    How many times have we seen retired Canadians, happens lots on the Oline, be out the whole year, then get signed for depth and sometimes they even dress and play? As an example, happened with Rottier. He retired hadn't practiced or played a down, Riders signed him for the playoffs because they had injuries and not enough Canadians to cover and he actually dressed. That shouldn't happen.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •