Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

First coronavirus impact on the CFL that I've read about so far...https://3downnation.com/2020/03/12/b...-indefinitely/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

3DownNation has posted their first look at the upcoming CFL draft. Saying three Olinemen and two Dlinemen in the first five picks. Say Calgary with the QB trade to Ottawa that got them the 1st overall pick will take OT, Carter O'Donnell from Alberta. Predict Claypool and Gallimore as early NFL picks will make O'Donnell the best choice. Some scouts say he is the best Cdn. U. Oline prospect in the last 3 to 5 years.

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

vCash

nikkipoki did the best job on video by filming her timer.

vCash

Cody and Vernon, what part of the word "overhand" did you fail to understand?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

vCash

vCash

^Have a feeling that'll happen to every organization across the CFL.

vCash

Haven't seen this poll mentioned here but Rickey Ray is leading Mike Reilly in the final round of best QB of the last decade:

https://twitter.com/nik_kowalski/sta...325385221?s=20

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C Dobbs View Post
    Haven't seen this poll mentioned here but Rickey Ray is leading Mike Reilly in the final round of best QB of the last decade:

Obviously the Riders fans haven't seen it either as they ruin almost every pole by just voting for their player.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C Dobbs View Post

I'd say Ray and Calvillo should dominate the 2000-2009 decades, but Ray 2010-2019 wasn't near the player Reilly was, IMO.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    I'd say Ray and Calvillo should dominate the 2000-2009 decades, but Ray 2010-2019 wasn't near the player Reilly was, IMO.
    I can't decide ; but I do remember that as awkward a runner as Ray was, he still had the courage to "leg it out" for a first down when the opportunity was there even though he got punished.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by couchspud View Post
    I can't decide ; but I do remember that as awkward a runner as Ray was, he still had the courage to "leg it out" for a first down when the opportunity was there even though he got punished.
    If 2010 was Ray's first year, and none of 2002-09 existed, I don't think people are having this debate at all. Yes, he won 2 more GCs with the Argos, but I'm not sure he'd be called Legend because of it. Conversely, if only 2002-09 Ray existed, he's first up on the Wall first chance we get.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash
    Blog Entries

If 2010 was Ray's first year, and none of 2002-09 existed, I don't think people are having this debate at all. Yes, he won 2 more GCs with the Argos, but I'm not sure he'd be called Legend because of it. Conversely, if only 2002-09 Ray existed, he's first up on the Wall first chance we get.
    I think injuries had a big role to play. In one of the interviews RR had upon retiring when asked about any regrets he mentioned how he sometimes wondered what he would have accomplished if not for the injuries. I know that being able to play is part of the assessment but in a game like football IMO your oline is a big part of how healthy you stay and how well you are able to perform as a QB. That's why it really bugged me when people out there were stating how AC was a much better QB than Ray. Calvillo had an allstar oline in front of him for much of his career and had all kinds of time to throw the ball and remained relatively healthy till close to the end of his career. Ray on the other hand was throwing from his back for much of it in Toronto and even for the last few years here. I realize Reilly also had the same issue in terms of time to throw the ball and countered it by using his legs so you make a valid argument. Anyways my 2 cents.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I think injuries had a big role to play. In one of the interviews RR had upon retiring when asked about any regrets he mentioned how he sometimes wondered what he would have accomplished if not for the injuries. I know that being able to play is part of the assessment but in a game like football IMO your oline is a big part of how healthy you stay and how well you are able to perform as a QB. That's why it really bugged me when people out there were stating how AC was a much better QB than Ray. Calvillo had an allstar oline in front of him for much of his career and had all kinds of time to throw the ball and remained relatively healthy till close to the end of his career. Ray on the other hand was throwing from his back for much of it in Toronto and even for the last few years here. I realize Reilly also had the same issue in terms of time to throw the ball and countered it by using his legs so you make a valid argument. Anyways my 2 cents.
    I'm not discounting what Ray has done, even in the past decade, I'm just saying his stats don't bear out as much for the last decade as it was compared to the 10 years before.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash
    Blog Entries

Agreed

vCash

I understand the sentiment, but I'd still go with Ray for the overall decade, as he accomplished more overall in the decade. He and BLM are the only two quarterback to start and win two Grey Cups in the decade. Reilly had maybe three years where he was clearly the better player, but Ray had more successful years.

2010-12 Ray >> Reilly (granted very few games by Reilly)
    2013 Ray > Reilly (Reilly had higher numbers overall but 7 extra games to get them)
    2014 Ray > Reilly (but just slightly)
    2015 Reilly > Ray (Ray barely had any playing time due to injury and Reilly also missed a bunch but didn't lose a game he completed)
    2016 Reilly >> Ray (Ray missed a lot of playing time again)
    2017 Reilly > Ray (both extremely close with only a few hundred yards separating them but Reilly likley had the better team around him)
    2018 Reilly > Ray but Ray's career ended early in his second game
    2019 Ray didn't play and Reilly's season wasn't anything to write home about.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by couchspud View Post
    Totally agree. IMHO both Ray and Nichols also couldn't slide worth sh*t. Nichols got injured last year because he didn't get down fast enough. Always thought while they were Eskimos we should have brought in a baseball coach to show them how to slide properly.