Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 573

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    6,141
    vCash
    2264
    Rep Power
    227

    Hot Eskimos changing team name



    I hope this is now put to rest and we don't have to hear about it over and over and over.

    Politicians and SJW's should mind their own business and leave it be.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Good. Hopefully that's the end of that for all time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    545
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Good. Hopefully that's the end of that for all time.
    I'm sure we'll here about it again real soon. Why.... because its easy click bate for lazy writers.
    Is it game day yet?????

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Posts
    10,028
    vCash
    625
    Rep Power
    401

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    The right decision. Eskimos forever.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Middle of Riderville
    Posts
    5,839
    vCash
    25090
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    This should not come up any more, but as was said it will be an easy story when it comes Grey Cup time. The Esks did their homework, and it sounds like outside of the politically correct crowd in Ottawa the Inuit wanted them to keep it
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

    "The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,654
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1842

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,554
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    I said on another forum that I'd like to see the team create a 3rd jersey and commission an Innuit artist to design a logo. After of course consulting with the same Innuit groups they talked to in this study to see if they would approve. Share any revenue of all sales of merchandise with worth while causes in the Innuit community.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,654
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1842

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I said on another forum that I'd like to see the team create a 3rd jersey and commission an Innuit artist to design a logo. After of course consulting with the same Innuit groups they talked to in this study to see if they would approve. Share any revenue of all sales of merchandise with worth while causes in the Innuit community.
    Friggin' Love this idea. You should shoot an email off to the new Esks boss about this.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,485
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    269

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Common sense prevails!

  10. #10

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I said on another forum that I'd like to see the team create a 3rd jersey and commission an Innuit artist to design a logo. After of course consulting with the same Innuit groups they talked to in this study to see if they would approve. Share any revenue of all sales of merchandise with worth while causes in the Innuit community.
    Fantastic idea!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,890
    vCash
    1462
    Rep Power
    277

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I said on another forum that I'd like to see the team create a 3rd jersey and commission an Innuit artist to design a logo. After of course consulting with the same Innuit groups they talked to in this study to see if they would approve. Share any revenue of all sales of merchandise with worth while causes in the Innuit community.
    Brilliant and respectful way to treat it. That said, I do suspect the name gets changed within the next 10 years...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    3,141
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    136

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Brilliant and respectful way to treat it. That said, I do suspect the name gets changed within the next 10 years...
    Agreed. Probably much sooner.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I said on another forum that I'd like to see the team create a 3rd jersey and commission an Innuit artist to design a logo. After of course consulting with the same Innuit groups they talked to in this study to see if they would approve. Share any revenue of all sales of merchandise with worth while causes in the Innuit community.
    Excellent thought about getting involved in another community project.
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -General George Patton Jr

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,502
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    315

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by budha View Post
    This should not come up any more, but as was said it will be an easy story when it comes Grey Cup time. The Esks did their homework, and it sounds like outside of the politically correct crowd in Ottawa the Inuit wanted them to keep it
    There will always be someone out there wanting to stir the pot in an effort to generate clicks...https://3downnation.com/2020/02/16/i...ge-their-name/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,654
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1842

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    There will always be someone out there wanting to stir the pot in an effort to generate clicks...https://3downnation.com/2020/02/16/i...ge-their-name/
    I'm quite sure Josh has thrown his "name change" crap out there in previous seasons. He is nothing more than a **** disturber. Unfortunate that 3 Down Nation has him contributing to their site. He is a terrible writer as well.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Windsor Ontario
    Posts
    3,299
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    The only pro sports team I dislike and think should be changed is The Washington Racialslurs.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    187
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    I went and re-read Josh's article. This stuck out to me:

    "[COLOR="#FFFF00"]And a follow up: what is so special about the name that it needs to be preserved?

    The history of the club doesn’t change, the memories of the team don’t change. Nothing of real consequence changes."
    [/COLOR]
    Hmmmn. Once an Empire, Always an Empire. Nope it sounds like history might get changed.
    Last edited by Mudnyereye; 02-21-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    I have never, EVER in my life heard anyone use the term "Eskimo" as a racist slur or derogatory term. Why? Because it is neither.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,890
    vCash
    1462
    Rep Power
    277

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I have never, EVER in my life heard anyone use the term "Eskimo" as a racist slur or derogatory term. Why? Because it is neither.
    Well when Inuit say they have had it used in a derogatory way towards them then yeah...it is a racial slur.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Well when Inuit say they have had it used in a derogatory way towards them then yeah...it is a racial slur.
    If nobody is actually using towards them in that way, then just saying it is doesn't make it so. It is effectively taking an acceptable word, adding an artificial conntation to it, and then deeming it "politically incorrect".

    It's nonsense, and needs to be called nonsense.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,890
    vCash
    1462
    Rep Power
    277

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    If nobody is actually using towards them in that way, then just saying it is doesn't make it so. It is effectively taking an acceptable word, adding an artificial conntation to it, and then deeming it "politically incorrect".

    It's nonsense, and needs to be called nonsense.
    I am not sure what part of my previous post you missed. If it's being used in a perjorative way then that word has changed it's meaning. Negro wasn't originally a demeaning word....doesn't mean we use it in our vernacular anymore because it began to get used in a derogatory way.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I am not sure what part of my previous post you missed. If it's being used in a perjorative way then that word has changed it's meaning. Negro wasn't originally a demeaning word....doesn't mean we use it in our vernacular anymore because it began to get used in a derogatory way.
    And what I'm saying is that Eskimos is not analagous to "negro", which always did have an "inferior" connotation. Eskimo did not. Ever. The perjorative was manufactured.

    I mean "negro" or "colored" became "black" because of the connotation. Then "african-american" and now we're back to "people of color", which will be seen as pejorative in 20 years.

    I'm not going to live using language-by-political fashion

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,890
    vCash
    1462
    Rep Power
    277

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    And what I'm saying is that Eskimos is not analagous to "negro", which always did have an "inferior" connotation. Eskimo did not. Ever. The perjorative was manufactured.

    I mean "negro" or "colored" became "black" because of the connotation. Then "african-american" and now we're back to "people of color", which will be seen as pejorative in 20 years.

    I'm not going to live using language-by-political fashion
    Negro literally means black in Spanish and Portuguese. The perjorative was manufactured just like Eskimo. And we as a civilized society move towards using words that are not disparagin and if you choose to keep using perjorative words then that is your choice...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Negro literally means black in Spanish and Portuguese. The perjorative was manufactured just like Eskimo. And we as a civilized society move towards using words that are not disparagin and if you choose to keep using perjorative words then that is your choice...
    Mate, I respect your point of view. Languages change over time. Just read Beowulf and you know. But I don't see language as that fluid in such a short period of time. Society then breaks down. Because communication loses meaning.

    Which is why I say....nobody ever used the word "Eskimo" in the same way they used the word "Negro" or, more to the point, the other "N" word. Ever. Manufacturing that connotation doesn't wash with me. Smacks of the victimhood culture that plagues us. Hell, was Nat King Cole being racist when he sang "The Christmas Song"? Gimme a freaking break! With all due respect. I do respect your view, mate.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    187
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    There is now a discussion as to whether Eskimo actually means "eater of raw meat" or something to do with making webbed feet. I think one of the issues is that the word "Eskimo" is not the term the Inuit gave themselves. The indigenous groups that were working for the European explorers/settlers, called them that and it stuck. I can see how that is an issue. It was also used by white southerners, throughout the 20th century to refer to the people as uneducated and savage, while they forced Christianity and white European values upon them. I had an opportunity to meet Kiviaq, the Edmonton Lawyer, etc. and the only Inuk to play for the Eskimos. He recounted how he learned to fight because he was often beaten up and called a dirty Eskimo.

    Bottom line, some Inuit/Inuk people see it as negative and some don't. It will always be an issue it seems. The Eskimos Football Club is being relatively proactive and engaging Inuit communities, regularly to keep a pulse on the issue. That's a bonus.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,890
    vCash
    1462
    Rep Power
    277

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Mate, I respect your point of view. Languages change over time. Just read Beowulf and you know. But I don't see language as that fluid in such a short period of time. Society then breaks down. Because communication loses meaning.

    Which is why I say....nobody ever used the word "Eskimo" in the same way they used the word "Negro" or, more to the point, the other "N" word. Ever. Manufacturing that connotation doesn't wash with me. Smacks of the victimhood culture that plagues us. Hell, was Nat King Cole being racist when he sang "The Christmas Song"? Gimme a freaking break! With all due respect. I do respect your view, mate.
    Well I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I stand by what I said.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    Bottom line, some Inuit/Inuk people see it as negative and some don't. It will always be an issue it seems. The Eskimos Football Club is being relatively proactive and engaging Inuit communities, regularly to keep a pulse on the issue. That's a bonus.
    I think the Eskimos have absolutely handled this potentially explosive story over the years with class and respect. Unlike what lots of teams in the States with questionable names have done...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    There's only one sports team name that I feel absolutely HAS to change. The Washington Redskins.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,654
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1842

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,270
    vCash
    21532
    Rep Power
    335

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    There's only one sports team name that I feel absolutely HAS to change. The Washington Redskins.
    Name will never change while Dan Snyder owns the team
    In Rod we trust

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,587
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    821

    Re: Eskimos keeping team name

    Winnipeg Free Press doing a survey on the Eskimo proposed name change. Sitting at 77 % "NO" of a total of 509 voters so far.

    Poll now has a total 649 votes and still at 77 % saying they want no change.
    Last edited by turftoe27; 02-22-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •