Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Hot Eskimos changing team name

I hope this is now put to rest and we don't have to hear about it over and over and over.

Politicians and SJW's should mind their own business and leave it be.

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Good. Hopefully that's the end of that for all time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Good. Hopefully that's the end of that for all time.
    I'm sure we'll here about it again real soon. Why.... because its easy click bate for lazy writers.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

The right decision. Eskimos forever.

vCash

This should not come up any more, but as was said it will be an easy story when it comes Grey Cup time. The Esks did their homework, and it sounds like outside of the politically correct crowd in Ottawa the Inuit wanted them to keep it
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

I said on another forum that I'd like to see the team create a 3rd jersey and commission an Innuit artist to design a logo. After of course consulting with the same Innuit groups they talked to in this study to see if they would approve. Share any revenue of all sales of merchandise with worth while causes in the Innuit community.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I said on another forum that I'd like to see the team create a 3rd jersey and commission an Innuit artist to design a logo. After of course consulting with the same Innuit groups they talked to in this study to see if they would approve. Share any revenue of all sales of merchandise with worth while causes in the Innuit community.
    Friggin' Love this idea. You should shoot an email off to the new Esks boss about this.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Common sense prevails!

Fantastic idea!

vCash

Brilliant and respectful way to treat it. That said, I do suspect the name gets changed within the next 10 years...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Brilliant and respectful way to treat it. That said, I do suspect the name gets changed within the next 10 years...
    Agreed. Probably much sooner.

vCash

Excellent thought about getting involved in another community project.
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -General George Patton Jr

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by budha View Post
    This should not come up any more, but as was said it will be an easy story when it comes Grey Cup time. The Esks did their homework, and it sounds like outside of the politically correct crowd in Ottawa the Inuit wanted them to keep it
    There will always be someone out there wanting to stir the pot in an effort to generate clicks...https://3downnation.com/2020/02/16/i...ge-their-name/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    There will always be someone out there wanting to stir the pot in an effort to generate clicks...https://3downnation.com/2020/02/16/i...ge-their-name/
    I'm quite sure Josh has thrown his "name change" crap out there in previous seasons. He is nothing more than a **** disturber. Unfortunate that 3 Down Nation has him contributing to their site. He is a terrible writer as well.

vCash

The only pro sports team I dislike and think should be changed is The Washington Racialslurs.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

I went and re-read Josh's article. This stuck out to me:

"[COLOR="#FFFF00"]And a follow up: what is so special about the name that it needs to be preserved?

The history of the club doesn’t change, the memories of the team don’t change. Nothing of real consequence changes."
    [/COLOR]
    Hmmmn. Once an Empire, Always an Empire. Nope it sounds like history might get changed.
    Last edited by Mudnyereye; 02-21-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

I have never, EVER in my life heard anyone use the term "Eskimo" as a racist slur or derogatory term. Why? Because it is neither.

vCash

I have never, EVER in my life heard anyone use the term "Eskimo" as a racist slur or derogatory term. Why? Because it is neither.
    Well when Inuit say they have had it used in a derogatory way towards them then yeah...it is a racial slur.

#PizStrong

vCash

Well when Inuit say they have had it used in a derogatory way towards them then yeah...it is a racial slur.
    If nobody is actually using towards them in that way, then just saying it is doesn't make it so. It is effectively taking an acceptable word, adding an artificial conntation to it, and then deeming it "politically incorrect".

It's nonsense, and needs to be called nonsense.

vCash

If nobody is actually using towards them in that way, then just saying it is doesn't make it so. It is effectively taking an acceptable word, adding an artificial conntation to it, and then deeming it "politically incorrect".

It's nonsense, and needs to be called nonsense.
    I am not sure what part of my previous post you missed. If it's being used in a perjorative way then that word has changed it's meaning. Negro wasn't originally a demeaning word....doesn't mean we use it in our vernacular anymore because it began to get used in a derogatory way.

#PizStrong

vCash

I am not sure what part of my previous post you missed. If it's being used in a perjorative way then that word has changed it's meaning. Negro wasn't originally a demeaning word....doesn't mean we use it in our vernacular anymore because it began to get used in a derogatory way.
    And what I'm saying is that Eskimos is not analagous to "negro", which always did have an "inferior" connotation. Eskimo did not. Ever. The perjorative was manufactured.

I mean "negro" or "colored" became "black" because of the connotation. Then "african-american" and now we're back to "people of color", which will be seen as pejorative in 20 years.

I'm not going to live using language-by-political fashion

vCash

And what I'm saying is that Eskimos is not analagous to "negro", which always did have an "inferior" connotation. Eskimo did not. Ever. The perjorative was manufactured.

I mean "negro" or "colored" became "black" because of the connotation. Then "african-american" and now we're back to "people of color", which will be seen as pejorative in 20 years.

I'm not going to live using language-by-political fashion
    Negro literally means black in Spanish and Portuguese. The perjorative was manufactured just like Eskimo. And we as a civilized society move towards using words that are not disparagin and if you choose to keep using perjorative words then that is your choice...

#PizStrong

vCash

Negro literally means black in Spanish and Portuguese. The perjorative was manufactured just like Eskimo. And we as a civilized society move towards using words that are not disparagin and if you choose to keep using perjorative words then that is your choice...
    Mate, I respect your point of view. Languages change over time. Just read Beowulf and you know. But I don't see language as that fluid in such a short period of time. Society then breaks down. Because communication loses meaning.

Which is why I say....nobody ever used the word "Eskimo" in the same way they used the word "Negro" or, more to the point, the other "N" word. Ever. Manufacturing that connotation doesn't wash with me. Smacks of the victimhood culture that plagues us. Hell, was Nat King Cole being racist when he sang "The Christmas Song"? Gimme a freaking break! With all due respect. I do respect your view, mate.

vCash

There is now a discussion as to whether Eskimo actually means "eater of raw meat" or something to do with making webbed feet. I think one of the issues is that the word "Eskimo" is not the term the Inuit gave themselves. The indigenous groups that were working for the European explorers/settlers, called them that and it stuck. I can see how that is an issue. It was also used by white southerners, throughout the 20th century to refer to the people as uneducated and savage, while they forced Christianity and white European values upon them. I had an opportunity to meet Kiviaq, the Edmonton Lawyer, etc. and the only Inuk to play for the Eskimos. He recounted how he learned to fight because he was often beaten up and called a dirty Eskimo.

Bottom line, some Inuit/Inuk people see it as negative and some don't. It will always be an issue it seems. The Eskimos Football Club is being relatively proactive and engaging Inuit communities, regularly to keep a pulse on the issue. That's a bonus.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Mate, I respect your point of view. Languages change over time. Just read Beowulf and you know. But I don't see language as that fluid in such a short period of time. Society then breaks down. Because communication loses meaning.

Which is why I say....nobody ever used the word "Eskimo" in the same way they used the word "Negro" or, more to the point, the other "N" word. Ever. Manufacturing that connotation doesn't wash with me. Smacks of the victimhood culture that plagues us. Hell, was Nat King Cole being racist when he sang "The Christmas Song"? Gimme a freaking break! With all due respect. I do respect your view, mate.
    Well I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I stand by what I said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    Bottom line, some Inuit/Inuk people see it as negative and some don't. It will always be an issue it seems. The Eskimos Football Club is being relatively proactive and engaging Inuit communities, regularly to keep a pulse on the issue. That's a bonus.
    I think the Eskimos have absolutely handled this potentially explosive story over the years with class and respect. Unlike what lots of teams in the States with questionable names have done...

#PizStrong

vCash

There's only one sports team name that I feel absolutely HAS to change. The Washington Redskins.

vCash

vCash

There's only one sports team name that I feel absolutely HAS to change. The Washington Redskins.
    Name will never change while Dan Snyder owns the team
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Winnipeg Free Press doing a survey on the Eskimo proposed name change. Sitting at 77 % "NO" of a total of 509 voters so far.

Poll now has a total 649 votes and still at 77 % saying they want no change.
    Last edited by turftoe27; 02-22-2020 at 12:24 PM.