Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    That's just an excuse to not change anything.

Funny that you consider changing racially offensive symbols as "giving in". I consider it overdue.
    It's my favourite part about the whole 'world is getting too PC' crowd. They tend to be the same people who flip their **** at something like a black QB taking a knee...or a 16 year old talking about climate change. It's quite comical to watch...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

That's just an excuse to not change anything.

Funny that you consider changing racially offensive symbols as "giving in". I consider it overdue.
    What if there are more people that are honored by the team name? I am under the impression that there is a good majority (wish they would release the numbers) of Inuit people that are, in fact, honored by the name and our presence in their communities. Are we doing them an injustice by changing the name?

It is not and never will be my place to say if the name is or is not offensive but the fact that our team is met with open arms when they go to the northern communities tells me that its not as black and white as it may seem.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    What if there are more people that are honored by the team name? I am under the impression that there is a good majority (wish they would release the numbers) of Inuit people that are, in fact, honored by the name and our presence in their communities. Are we doing them an injustice by changing the name?

It is not and never will be my place to say if the name is or is not offensive but the fact that our team is met with open arms when they go to the northern communities tells me that its not as black and white as it may seem.
    In regards to our football team, as I stated before, I'd like to see the numbers too. There are a lot of impressions on what the results were. Only the EEFC knows the true findings.

And that comment you quoted is more in response to the fear of change that was expressed than the team name itself.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    It's my favourite part about the whole 'world is getting too PC' crowd. They tend to be the same people who flip their **** at something like a black QB taking a knee...or a 16 year old talking about climate change. It's quite comical to watch...
    Maybe to you. But things actually HAVE gotten too PC.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    But things actually HAVE gotten too PC.
    Maybe to you. The fact is that things change and they continue to change. Those that resist change call it too PC. Those that embrace change call it progress.

vCash

Maybe to you. The fact is that things change and they continue to change. Those that resist change call it too PC. Those that embrace change call it progress.
    Yeah, I'm the same. Change long overdue.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 06-20-2020 at 12:05 AM.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Yeah, I'm the same. Change long overdue.
    Then I encourage you to boycott your local football team until it changes its racist name.

That name is going to change, as well. You won't be boycotting long. But if you really feel it needs to change and you really feel that the name is racist, how can you possibly continue to support them? How??
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 06-21-2020 at 12:43 AM.

vCash

Then I encourage you to boycott your local football team until it changes its racist name.

That name is going to change, as well. You won't be boycotting long. But if you really feel it needs to change and you really feel that the name is racist, how can you possibly continue to support them? How??
    I support the current mutual decision of the football club and the Inuit people. I realize this is an ongoing process and things could change quickly. I will continue to support my football team even if the voices of those that matter, decide that it's best to change it. I can tell you this, if there was a clear request from the Inuit to change the name and the team refused, I'd have a serious problem with that.

I believe some things are far more important to me than a team name. I want to believe that holds true for most people.

Hope that clarifies things for you. Have a good night.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 06-21-2020 at 01:52 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I support the current mutual decision of the football club and the Inuit people. I realize this is an ongoing process and things could change quickly. I will continue to support my football team even if the voices of those that matter, decide that it's best to change it. I can tell you this, if there was a clear request from the Inuit to change the name and the team refused, I'd have a serious problem with that.

I believe some things are far more important to me than a team name. I want to believe that holds true for most people.

Hope that clarifies things for you. Have a good night.
    FWIW I believe that Edmonton's football team has played their last game as the Eskimos. If they ever play again, it will be under a new name.

vCash

vCash

FWIW I believe that Edmonton's football team has played their last game as the Eskimos. If they ever play again, it will be under a new name.
    I don't think they've played their last game as the Eskimos, but this may be the last season (if they play). With the latest news about the Redskins and what appears to be a name change coming, the Eskimos will almost have no choice.

So many of my kids friends and younger people at my work (ages 16-25 range) all think the name is racist and it needs to be changed.

Could the EEFC get away with just changing to the Edmonton Eskies, or is that still too close to Eskimos?
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

I just read on the Toronto Sports Network site that the Eskimos are beginning another consultation with the Inuit regarding the team name given recent events.

pic.twitter.com/y6UksECBkv

Edmonton Eskimos (@EdmontonEsks) July 3, 2020
    "The Edmonton Eskimos conducted an extensive research and engagement program with Canada's Inuit community regarding our team name," the statement read.

"We announced the findings from that program several months ago which included the fact that there was no consensus among the Inuit people and considerable support for the Eskimos name among Inuit in various parts of Northern Canada. We recognize that there has been increased attention to the name recently and we will ramp up our ongoing engagement with the Inuit communities to assess their views."

The statement came on the same day the owner of Washington's NFL team, Dan Snyder, said the team would review their name after pressure from fans and sponsors.

vCash

Washington Redskin potatoes
    Edmonton Eskimo dogs

See it just flows....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I think it's safe to say that that even though the Eskimos did go through the exercise of engaging with the Inuit quite recently that landscape has changed significantly in just the past few months. While the Inuit didn't come up with a consensus last go-around the same exercise today may provide a much different response. Where they may have felt pushing the issue in the past would prove a fruitless exercise today they may feel if they do speak up they can drive change on something like this.

Can you imagine where this discussion would be if there was still prevalent use of those Eskimo caricatures that used to be displayed on game programs back in the 50s and 60s?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Washington Redskin potatoes
    Edmonton Eskimo dogs

See it just flows....
    There's a big discussion happening on the left coast regarding the SFU Clansmen. While the name is of course tied to explorer Simon Fraser's Scottish heritage it nonetheless is becoming an even bigger issue than it has in the past. SFU is the only Canadian school whose athletic teams compete exclusively in the NCAA which means all of their road games are played in the USA. As one black student athlete was saying the other day it just gets tiring having to constantly explain the school's team nickname when playing down south.

vCash

The nerve of the Eskimos. How dare they consult with those who are being told to be offended and not just give into the woke white mob.

Now you have a CBC reporter, who is also white, harassing sponsors of the team about the name. If you believe that’s because he cares deeply for our Inuit communities and not because of the clicks and the attention, then I have a cure for COVID to sell you for 10 million bucks.

If/when the Eskimos change their names, do you believe that all these naysayers will go out and buy season tics and also continue to fight for the rights of the Inuit? Or do you think they will move on to their next target?

The SJW mob doesn't care about the CFL, they don’t care about the Eskimos, and they sure as **** don’t care about the Inuit.

Those are the people that we are going to let dictate this?

vCash

I know that I am absolutely in the minority on this issue but I would love it if the Eskimos changed their name to Empire.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    I know that I am absolutely in the minority on this issue but I would love it if the Eskimos changed their name to Empire.
    I'd be fine with that, but only if they could license some music cues from Star Wars

vCash

Edmonton Empire would be boss. I love the Evil Empire vibe.

It is pretty funny reading all the comments defending the name but people still use the term Inuit (as they should) because they don't want to be offensive
    14 and counting!

vCash

I could care less what they call the team it's the team I cheer for not the name. I'm also a Redskins fan and feel the same way.
    Empire sounds good to me I mean at least it's not something dippy like roughriders.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by chirp View Post

It is pretty funny reading all the comments defending the name but people still use the term Inuit (as they should) because they don't want to be offensive
    Sadly you'd need someone in marketing that would run with that...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Sadly you'd need someone in marketing that would run with that...
    The same group that brought all those awesome concerts? /s
    14 and counting!

vCash

Yes, you are correct. You would be in the minority. I personally think that would be a terrible name.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Yes, you are correct. You would be in the minority. I personally think that would be a terrible name.
    Because you are opposed to change or prefer a different name?

- - - Updated - - -

I would rather the team change while it is their choice instead of being forced to in the future.
    14 and counting!

vCash

The name is going to change. I've said my piece on how I feel about that. But it IS going to change. They aren't going to play this year, and therefore have some time to work on re-branding.

vCash

The same group that brought all those awesome concerts? /s
    LUDA!!!!

vCash

Or because the Inuit are the Inuit and the Edmonton Eskimos are the Edmonton Eskimos.

Just like Canadians are Canadians and Vancouver Canucks are Vancouver Canucks.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Or because the Inuit are the Inuit and the Edmonton Eskimos are the Edmonton Eskimos.

Just like Canadians are Canadians and Vancouver Canucks are Vancouver Canucks.
    Comparing Canucks and Eskimos is not the same thing. One is a nickname and one is derogatory.
    14 and counting!

vCash

Comparing Canucks and Eskimos is not the same thing. One is a nickname and one is derogatory.
    I think the point is that not everyone agrees that it is derogatory. Not even the Inuit themselves agree on that. Some do, some don't. Some, especially on the American side of the border, still use the word.

But, the fact is that the name is going to change anyway, even if the Eskimos organization doesn't know it yet. Right or wrong. It's gone. Same with Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Florida St. Seminoles, etc etc etc.