Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Yes. But that's the problem. They aren't all ok with it. The Esks even said so themselves.
    But there isn't a chance in hell that ALL people would be happy. As they have said, there is clearly a large segment of people that really like the name and see it as a thing of pride. So the question I would have is how many don't like it and why? Why do some of the same people find it offensive and others the complete opposite. So is it actually offensive or are the people that are against it just the type that take offense to everything. These days the younger generation seem to blow things out of proportion and "take offense" to basically anything and everything.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    These days the younger generation seem to blow things out of proportion and "take offense" to basically anything and everything.
    Ok boomer

vCash

But there isn't a chance in hell that ALL people would be happy. As they have said, there is clearly a large segment of people that really like the name and see it as a thing of pride. So the question I would have is how many don't like it and why? Why do some of the same people find it offensive and others the complete opposite. So is it actually offensive or are the people that are against it just the type that take offense to everything. These days the younger generation seem to blow things out of proportion and "take offense" to basically anything and everything.
    I suspect a true poll/referendum amongst Inuit on it would need to have at least three or four tiers, something like "Name is offensive, team should change it", "Name is somewhat offensive, but name change isn't important", "Name isn't offensive, team can choose", or "Name isn't offensive, I take pride in the team name and they should keep it".

You can tweak the middle ground somewhat, but the key finding I'd be looking for is if more people find it offensive and demand change than people who take pride in it and don't want it to change. Ultimately if more people take pride in it than take offense, then I'm open to keeping the name, but the other direction.. at this point just change it and move on.

vCash

Ok boomer
    I am not a baby boomer, I am 42.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

That doesn't seem to matter to the youth of today who call anyone over the age of 30 a boomer
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    That doesn't seem to matter to the youth of today who call anyone over the age of 30 a boomer
    Oh I know. It seems to be that you can't tell a person younger than me anything anymore with "disrespecting them". I don't think they know what the word actually means.

vCash

Oops. Just sounded that way. Sorry bro.

I Googled the organization mentioned by dealerd and found this article. First glimpse I've seen as to the details of the Esks' findings.

If being "sensitive" to the name equates to opposition, then females and older generation more opposed. Not the young generation.

Watt said respondents identifying as female were, generally, “more sensitive to the subject matter.” He said the same applied to older people surveyed by the team.
    Story

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I suspect a true poll/referendum amongst Inuit on it would need to have at least three or four tiers, something like "Name is offensive, team should change it", "Name is somewhat offensive, but name change isn't important", "Name isn't offensive, team can choose", or "Name isn't offensive, I take pride in the team name and they should keep it".

You can tweak the middle ground somewhat, but the key finding I'd be looking for is if more people find it offensive and demand change than people who take pride in it and don't want it to change. Ultimately if more people take pride in it than take offense, then I'm open to keeping the name, but the other direction.. at this point just change it and move on.
    The problem with what you suggest is no matter what you do, there will always be a segment of people who complain about the results. They will complain that the questions weren't right, or complain about how it was done or what day it was put on. IMO there is a segment of people in this world today that will never be happy no matter what you do. Unfortunately, those never happy people tend to be the loudest as well. The safest thing to do is to change it because it will dog them if they don't because it will constantly be brought up.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Of all the arrogant and dismissive sayings in the world, "okay boomer" has to be the worst. Yeah, let's just dismiss the views of every senior citizen in the country. Usually "okay, boomer" is said by people who use words like "adult" as a verb.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well the survey the Esks sent out today sure didn't give much middle ground did they? I don't think there was one question that had "Undecided" or "Not Sure" as an option. Yes or no only.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Of all the arrogant and dismissive sayings in the world, "okay boomer" has to be the worst. Yeah, let's just dismiss the views of every senior citizen in the country. Usually "okay, boomer" is said by people who use words like "adult" as a verb.
    So, I guess my name suggestion of Edmonton Boomers won't fly with the kids.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Well the survey the Esks sent out today sure didn't give much middle ground did they? I don't think there was one question that had "Undecided" or "Not Sure" as an option. Yes or no only.
    I think that it's a good thing. There shouldn't be any grey area in this. Do you find the name offensive or not. That's it. I don't completely know all the history of how they came up with the name but I really doubt it had anything to do with putting a certain group of people down. I am sure it had to do with their location, the weather and doing things in a harsher climate which is all true. So if you are asking a team to completely change their name and identity, there is no room to be wishy washy. It's yes or no.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 07-13-2020 at 11:40 AM.

vCash

Is this a survey for season ticket holders only? Does it only pertain to the name?

vCash

Is this a survey for season ticket holders only? Does it only pertain to the name?
    It was sent out to people whose email addresses they have. If you are a S/T holder, you likely got the email. If you bought a bunch of tickets for a group to a single game, you often leave your email address, so you got it as well. If they don't have your email address, or have indicated in some way that you don't wish to be contacted, you probably won't get one.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I completed the survey and voted strongly in favour of keeping the name, even though I know and have started preparing myself for the eventuality of what’s coming.

I hope they release the results of this survey. I want to know if I really am in the minority on this issue or if it really is a squeaky wheel situation.

vCash

Here is one of the questions:

How many Edmonton Eskimos home game would you have attended in the last 3 years?
    Zero
    1-8
    9-19
    More than 20
    All of the games, I don’t attend as fan

I guess I don't attend as a fan.

vCash

If this survey is just to season ticket holders, what is the point of it? The name doesn't impact I assume the majority of season ticket holders. Yes they are the paying customers but if the name is deemed offensive too bad.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Here is one of the questions:

How many Edmonton Eskimos home game would you have attended in the last 3 years?
    Zero
    1-8
    9-19
    More than 20
    All of the games, I don’t attend as fan

I guess I don't attend as a fan.
    I attend for the 9.25 beer prices and excellent half time concerts...
    said no one ever

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    10-4 dinosaur!
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I hope they release the results of this survey. I want to know if I really am in the minority on this issue or if it really is a squeaky wheel situation.
    I think you can predict the results. If the survey is just to the fan base, I doubt that many are actually offended by the name. The EEFC already know this.

vCash

I don't think we got the same survey. Mine was all about gauging how firmly I believe one way or the other and there wasn't a single yes or no answer on mine. I thought it was a well done survey, but it should be completed by the Inuit.

vCash

Survey? I didn't get a survey.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

vCash

Ok, this is getting absurd.

EEFC: We want to hire you to run some online betting services for us.

Sports Interaction: Sure. Sounds great.

*a year later*

Sports Interaction: You need to change your name.

Really? Now the vendor is dictating to the customer and making it public? Why not discuss in private and walk away if you can't continue? I'd discontinue that relationship for being unprofessional.

vCash

Wait, Boston Pizza has pulled out too? I must have missed that one. The name is done.

vCash

Washington Redskins to retire name.

Navajo Nation President Johnathan Nez stated the following:

“July 13, 2020 is now a historic day for all Indigenous peoples around the world as the NFL Washington-based team officially announced the retirement of the racist and disparaging “Redskins” team name and logo,” Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez wrote. “This change did not come about willingly by the team’s owners, but by the mounting pressure and advocacy of Indigenous peoples such as Amanda Blackhorse, and many other warriors who fought long and hard for this change.”

The statement continued: “We strongly encourage the NFL Washington organization to rename their team in such a way that truly honors and respects the First Americans of this country. Renaming the team “Code Talkers” to honor the Navajo Code Talkers, and other tribal nations who used their sacred language to help win World War II, would set the team on a path to restoring its reputation and correcting the historical misrepresentation of Indigenous peoples.”

If I was the owner of the football team I would thank the Navajo Nation President for his name suggestion but I would certainly run from it. Right now it might be okay to be named the Code Talkers but will it be okay in ten or twenty years. No Thanks.
    Last edited by Esks1975; 07-13-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: grammar

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Survey? I didn't get a survey.

It was an email from abacus data.

vCash

It’s cute that that guy thinks Native Americans had anything to do with Washington changing their name.

vCash

I like RedTails for Washington in honour of the Tuskegee Airmen. THAT’S how you honour a minority group.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 07-13-2020 at 07:03 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    It was an email from abacus data.
    Did not get it.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden