Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 541 to 570 of 570

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

  1. #541
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,654
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1842

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    I've just signed up for the Sportsnet Now package for 20 bucks a month to stream all the hockey. Other than sports I don't miss cable at all with all the free alternatives that are out there. There are certainly other ways "around" cable that would give me access to SN, but I think I'm getting value for my 20 bucks and it will only be a couple months. I'd probably be willing to do the CFLTSN package on a condensed season after the hockey, but I'm still on the betting side of it not happening.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  2. #542
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    925
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    123

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Great for most people...but I'm one of the weird anomalies that the only sport I watch is CFL.
    I'm a sports junkie. I absolutely can't imagine being all in on one sport or league without being interested in others. Been following NHL, CFL, MLB and NFL since I was about 7 years old and that was 56 years ago. If I still didn't follow the other 3 I doubt I'd be interested in the CFL either.

  3. #543
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sitting in front of a pint
    Posts
    4,622
    vCash
    2175
    Rep Power
    165

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Has to be singular though.....Elk......which is also plural. Only time I've ever heard "Elks" folks are talking the BPOE variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Tell that to Toronto hockey fans, that you can't have an incorrect plural....
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    According to the Googling I did both ‘Elk’ and ‘Elks’ are acceptable when describing a group of Elk (Elks lol).

    So even though ‘Elk’ seems to be the most commonly used by far I think ‘Elks’ is in keeping with the somewhat quirky nature of CFL team names that I find charming, and is also historically in line with the name the Esks used for that one season in 1922.
    Depends on whether we are talking about common nouns or proper nouns. As a proper noun, the plural form can and should have an "s" at the end of it.

    For example, if you have a mouse, and you get a second one, you have two mice. But let's say you have a Mickey Mouse toy and then you get a second one, you don't have two Mickey Mice, you have two Mickey Mouses.

    This is why the Toronto hockey team is properly called the Maple Leafs. One player is a Maple Leaf, multiple players are Maple Leafs. So it would be with the football team, should they go with the name Elks; one team member would be an Elk (they are still humans, not elk), but a group of players would be Elks.

  4. #544

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Depends on whether we are talking about common nouns or proper nouns. As a proper noun, the plural form can and should have an "s" at the end of it.

    For example, if you have a mouse, and you get a second one, you have two mice. But let's say you have a Mickey Mouse toy and then you get a second one, you don't have two Mickey Mice, you have two Mickey Mouses.

    This is why the Toronto hockey team is properly called the Maple Leafs. One player is a Maple Leaf, multiple players are Maple Leafs. So it would be with the football team, should they go with the name Elks; one team member would be an Elk (they are still humans, not elk), but a group of players would be Elks.
    Thanks!

    One advantage of Elks is that Ang only has to change one letter in the sites name lol.

  5. #545
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,553
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Depends on whether we are talking about common nouns or proper nouns. As a proper noun, the plural form can and should have an "s" at the end of it.

    For example, if you have a mouse, and you get a second one, you have two mice. But let's say you have a Mickey Mouse toy and then you get a second one, you don't have two Mickey Mice, you have two Mickey Mouses.

    This is why the Toronto hockey team is properly called the Maple Leafs. One player is a Maple Leaf, multiple players are Maple Leafs. So it would be with the football team, should they go with the name Elks; one team member would be an Elk (they are still humans, not elk), but a group of players would be Elks.
    But no one uses that kind if plural with Elk. If you see a group of them you say look at those elk or that heard of elk, no one says look at the Elks.

  6. #546
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sitting in front of a pint
    Posts
    4,622
    vCash
    2175
    Rep Power
    165

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    But no one uses that kind if plural with Elk. If you see a group of them you say look at those elk or that heard of elk, no one says look at the Elks.
    Again, a proper noun is a name of something, not the thing itself. No one would say "look at the mouses" or "look at the leafs", either. But once they become the proper name of something, the rules change. You would be correct to say "a herd of elk", but if the team decides to call themselves the Elks, you would then be correct to say "a huddle of Elks".

  7. #547
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,025
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    220

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Again, a proper noun is a name of something, not the thing itself. No one would say "look at the mouses" or "look at the leafs", either. But once they become the proper name of something, the rules change. You would be correct to say "a herd of elk", but if the team decides to call themselves the Elks, you would then be correct to say "a huddle of Elks".
    That is exactly how the service club, Elks of Canada, refer to themselves.

  8. #548
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    I phoned the EEFC office and told them that I want them to call me in the spring, should there still be a CFL next year, and that I will get out my wallet and support the team at that point, no matter what the damned name is. I hope it isn't Elks. But if it is, I will buy the foamy antlers.

  9. #549
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    925
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    123

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    But no one uses that kind if plural with Elk. If you see a group of them you say look at those elk or that heard of elk, no one says look at the Elks.
    Same with deer and caribou. Maybe it's an ungulate thing.

  10. #550
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    925
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    123

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    But no one uses that kind if plural with Elk. If you see a group of them you say look at those elk or that heard of elk, no one says look at the Elks.
    Same with deer and caribou. Maybe it's an ungulate thing.

  11. #551
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,489
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    274

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    I'm going to use that for everything...

    "Oh...it's an ungulate thing..."
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

  12. #552
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,025
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    220

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    We have resorted to discussing ungulate pluralization.

    Worst CFL season ever!

  13. #553
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,654
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1842

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    We have resorted to discussing ungulate pluralization.

    Worst CFL season ever!
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  14. #554
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,553
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    We have resorted to discussing ungulate pluralization.

    Worst CFL season ever!
    Don't have a cow man. I can see the off season is Deer to you. Just put some moose in your hair and have some chocolate moose. Do you care or do you not give a bou?
    You probably feel sheepish about now. Hope I did not get your goat.

  15. #555
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,485
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    269

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Regardless of how the name ends up we go with this look . We can’t lose..

    Iconic sleeve stripes ..
    Edmonton on chest

    We will look like the EE nickname won’t matter.. elks or envelopes.. won’t matter... iconic look.

    9EEC4ACE-4532-438E-A690-69B77CFC0DBC.jpg

  16. #556
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    84
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Why not change the name to Edmonton double E and just remove the offending Eskimo from the jerseys.

  17. #557
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,553
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Edmonton Elephants




  18. #558
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    925
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    123

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Edmonton Elephants



    Just needs gold tusks and eyes. Maybe gold for the trim around the outside. Same number of syllables as Eskimos but doesn't roll of the trunk as easily.

  19. #559
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    55
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    The Elks? I hope people aren’t serious. Take the “ies” from Eskies, and add that to the word Elk. What does that give you? The Edmonton Elkies. Think about the pronunciation for just one second and you’d realize the ridiculous nature of that. I’m sure Alcoholics Anonymous would just love that name. I mean why would anybody ever be offended by that?

    It is an absolutely horrible name when coupled with the decades long Eskies. Surely somebody has something better than that to put forward.

  20. #560
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,553
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce LeeRoy View Post
    The Elks? I hope people aren’t serious. Take the “ies” from Eskies, and add that to the word Elk. What does that give you? The Edmonton Elkies. Think about the pronunciation for just one second and you’d realize the ridiculous nature of that. I’m sure Alcoholics Anonymous would just love that name. I mean why would anybody ever be offended by that?

    It is an absolutely horrible name when coupled with the decades long Eskies. Surely somebody has something better than that to put forward.
    The big issue is EE, Elk or Elks will not be the choice but there are not a lot of options starting with E. I am 100% against Eagles more than any other name.

    If you have a suggestion please present it.

  21. #561
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    130
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Until someone presents something better than Elks or Energy or whatever other cringe-inducing names that are floating about, I'd just go with Edmonton Football Club, and attach the "Double E" moniker to them.
    @chadganske

  22. #562
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,413
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    49

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Edmonton Elephants



    Kreegah Bundolo !!!

  23. #563

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Head View Post
    Until someone presents something better than Elks or Energy or whatever other cringe-inducing names that are floating about, I'd just go with Edmonton Football Club, and attach the "Double E" moniker to them.
    Edmonton Proper. as in a not half hearted context.

    Play up "the Proper way"

    Make Dave Hunter team president. Enjoy the holiday.

  24. #564
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    925
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    123

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Edmonton Eeyores. They could build rivalries with the Hamilton Tigger-Cats, Winnie the Pooh Bombers, Montreal Owl-outtes and Saskatchewan Roo-riders.

  25. #565
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,502
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    315

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The big issue is EE, Elk or Elks will not be the choice but there are not a lot of options starting with E. I am 100% against Eagles more than any other name.

    If you have a suggestion please present it.
    I actually don't mind Eagles. Is your objection because there is an NFL team out there with the same moniker?
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  26. #566
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,489
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    274

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I actually don't mind Eagles. Is your objection because there is an NFL team out there with the same moniker?
    My objection is Eagles have nothing to do with Edmonton. (Granted Eskimos in theory don't either but at least with us being the most Northern team it kind of makes sense) As for it being because of the NFL team...didn't even come into my dislike of the name.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

  27. #567
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    596
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Weren't they already supposed to have decided on a new team name by now?

  28. #568
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    6,140
    vCash
    2264
    Rep Power
    226

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Weren't they already supposed to have decided on a new team name by now?
    I thought this was going to be a long and drawn out process. I don't think we'll see a name announcement any time soon.

    If they were smart they'd offer ideas from the community(name the team contest) and offer prizes(season-tickets, Esks swag, etc.). That would be a great way to engage the people of Edmonton.

    But, this team has gone down in giveaways to fans for a long time so why change now?

  29. #569
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,553
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    The Edmonton Elcor



    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I actually don't mind Eagles. Is your objection because there is an NFL team out there with the same moniker?
    The 'eagle brand' is a big symbol of the usa.

  30. #570
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,924
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    378

    Re: Eskimos changing team name

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    My objection is Eagles have nothing to do with Edmonton. (Granted Eskimos in theory don't either but at least with us being the most Northern team it kind of makes sense) As for it being because of the NFL team...didn't even come into my dislike of the name.
    There was a short-lived soccer team called the Edmonton Eagles. Never lost a game!

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadi..._League_(1983)
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •