Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos changing team name

I've just signed up for the Sportsnet Now package for 20 bucks a month to stream all the hockey. Other than sports I don't miss cable at all with all the free alternatives that are out there. There are certainly other ways "around" cable that would give me access to SN, but I think I'm getting value for my 20 bucks and it will only be a couple months. I'd probably be willing to do the CFLTSN package on a condensed season after the hockey, but I'm still on the betting side of it not happening.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Great for most people...but I'm one of the weird anomalies that the only sport I watch is CFL.
    I'm a sports junkie. I absolutely can't imagine being all in on one sport or league without being interested in others. Been following NHL, CFL, MLB and NFL since I was about 7 years old and that was 56 years ago. If I still didn't follow the other 3 I doubt I'd be interested in the CFL either.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Has to be singular though.....Elk......which is also plural. Only time I've ever heard "Elks" folks are talking the BPOE variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Tell that to Toronto hockey fans, that you can't have an incorrect plural....
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    According to the Googling I did both ‘Elk’ and ‘Elks’ are acceptable when describing a group of Elk (Elks lol).

So even though ‘Elk’ seems to be the most commonly used by far I think ‘Elks’ is in keeping with the somewhat quirky nature of CFL team names that I find charming, and is also historically in line with the name the Esks used for that one season in 1922.
    Depends on whether we are talking about common nouns or proper nouns. As a proper noun, the plural form can and should have an "s" at the end of it.

For example, if you have a mouse, and you get a second one, you have two mice. But let's say you have a Mickey Mouse toy and then you get a second one, you don't have two Mickey Mice, you have two Mickey Mouses.

This is why the Toronto hockey team is properly called the Maple Leafs. One player is a Maple Leaf, multiple players are Maple Leafs. So it would be with the football team, should they go with the name Elks; one team member would be an Elk (they are still humans, not elk), but a group of players would be Elks.

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Depends on whether we are talking about common nouns or proper nouns. As a proper noun, the plural form can and should have an "s" at the end of it.

For example, if you have a mouse, and you get a second one, you have two mice. But let's say you have a Mickey Mouse toy and then you get a second one, you don't have two Mickey Mice, you have two Mickey Mouses.

This is why the Toronto hockey team is properly called the Maple Leafs. One player is a Maple Leaf, multiple players are Maple Leafs. So it would be with the football team, should they go with the name Elks; one team member would be an Elk (they are still humans, not elk), but a group of players would be Elks.
    Thanks!

One advantage of Elks is that Ang only has to change one letter in the sites name lol.

vCash

But no one uses that kind if plural with Elk. If you see a group of them you say look at those elk or that heard of elk, no one says look at the Elks.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    But no one uses that kind if plural with Elk. If you see a group of them you say look at those elk or that heard of elk, no one says look at the Elks.
    Again, a proper noun is a name of something, not the thing itself. No one would say "look at the mouses" or "look at the leafs", either. But once they become the proper name of something, the rules change. You would be correct to say "a herd of elk", but if the team decides to call themselves the Elks, you would then be correct to say "a huddle of Elks".

vCash

Again, a proper noun is a name of something, not the thing itself. No one would say "look at the mouses" or "look at the leafs", either. But once they become the proper name of something, the rules change. You would be correct to say "a herd of elk", but if the team decides to call themselves the Elks, you would then be correct to say "a huddle of Elks".
    That is exactly how the service club, Elks of Canada, refer to themselves.

vCash

I phoned the EEFC office and told them that I want them to call me in the spring, should there still be a CFL next year, and that I will get out my wallet and support the team at that point, no matter what the damned name is. I hope it isn't Elks. But if it is, I will buy the foamy antlers.

vCash

Same with deer and caribou. Maybe it's an ungulate thing.

vCash

Same with deer and caribou. Maybe it's an ungulate thing.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm going to use that for everything...

"Oh...it's an ungulate thing..."
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

We have resorted to discussing ungulate pluralization.

Worst CFL season ever!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post

Worst CFL season ever!
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post

Worst CFL season ever!
    Don't have a cow man. I can see the off season is Deer to you. Just put some moose in your hair and have some chocolate moose. Do you care or do you not give a bou?
    You probably feel sheepish about now. Hope I did not get your goat.

vCash

Regardless of how the name ends up we go with this look . We can’t lose..

Iconic sleeve stripes ..
    Edmonton on chest

We will look like the EE nickname won’t matter.. elks or envelopes.. won’t matter... iconic look.

9EEC4ACE-4532-438E-A690-69B77CFC0DBC.jpg

vCash

Why not change the name to Edmonton double E and just remove the offending Eskimo from the jerseys.

vCash

Edmonton Elephants

vCash

Edmonton Elephants

Just needs gold tusks and eyes. Maybe gold for the trim around the outside. Same number of syllables as Eskimos but doesn't roll of the trunk as easily.

vCash

The Elks? I hope people aren’t serious. Take the “ies” from Eskies, and add that to the word Elk. What does that give you? The Edmonton Elkies. Think about the pronunciation for just one second and you’d realize the ridiculous nature of that. I’m sure Alcoholics Anonymous would just love that name. I mean why would anybody ever be offended by that?

It is an absolutely horrible name when coupled with the decades long Eskies. Surely somebody has something better than that to put forward.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce LeeRoy View Post
    The Elks? I hope people aren’t serious. Take the “ies” from Eskies, and add that to the word Elk. What does that give you? The Edmonton Elkies. Think about the pronunciation for just one second and you’d realize the ridiculous nature of that. I’m sure Alcoholics Anonymous would just love that name. I mean why would anybody ever be offended by that?

It is an absolutely horrible name when coupled with the decades long Eskies. Surely somebody has something better than that to put forward.
    The big issue is EE, Elk or Elks will not be the choice but there are not a lot of options starting with E. I am 100% against Eagles more than any other name.

If you have a suggestion please present it.

vCash

Until someone presents something better than Elks or Energy or whatever other cringe-inducing names that are floating about, I'd just go with Edmonton Football Club, and attach the "Double E" moniker to them.
    @chadganske

vCash

Edmonton Elephants

Kreegah Bundolo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Head View Post
    Until someone presents something better than Elks or Energy or whatever other cringe-inducing names that are floating about, I'd just go with Edmonton Football Club, and attach the "Double E" moniker to them.
    Edmonton Proper. as in a not half hearted context.

Play up "the Proper way"

Make Dave Hunter team president. Enjoy the holiday.

vCash

Edmonton Eeyores. They could build rivalries with the Hamilton Tigger-Cats, Winnie the Pooh Bombers, Montreal Owl-outtes and Saskatchewan Roo-riders.

vCash
    Blog Entries

The big issue is EE, Elk or Elks will not be the choice but there are not a lot of options starting with E. I am 100% against Eagles more than any other name.

If you have a suggestion please present it.
    I actually don't mind Eagles. Is your objection because there is an NFL team out there with the same moniker?
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I actually don't mind Eagles. Is your objection because there is an NFL team out there with the same moniker?
    My objection is Eagles have nothing to do with Edmonton. (Granted Eskimos in theory don't either but at least with us being the most Northern team it kind of makes sense) As for it being because of the NFL team...didn't even come into my dislike of the name.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Weren't they already supposed to have decided on a new team name by now?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Weren't they already supposed to have decided on a new team name by now?
    I thought this was going to be a long and drawn out process. I don't think we'll see a name announcement any time soon.

If they were smart they'd offer ideas from the community(name the team contest) and offer prizes(season-tickets, Esks swag, etc.). That would be a great way to engage the people of Edmonton.

But, this team has gone down in giveaways to fans for a long time so why change now?

vCash

The Edmonton Elcor

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    The 'eagle brand' is a big symbol of the usa.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    My objection is Eagles have nothing to do with Edmonton. (Granted Eskimos in theory don't either but at least with us being the most Northern team it kind of makes sense) As for it being because of the NFL team...didn't even come into my dislike of the name.
    There was a short-lived soccer team called the Edmonton Eagles. Never lost a game!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadi..._League_(1983)
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.