Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    A thing that bothers me is the passive aggressive bs of the sponsors, all of them want 'further engagement' on the issue to gain consensus. There is not consensus.

These guys should at least have the balls to outright call for a name change instead of ***** footing around the issue.

Also there are always ignored or unforeseen consequences of actions.

Once we change the name what incentive at all is there ever to deal with the people of the north re our football team? Say good bye to Eskimo players taking the Grey cup up there.
    Hmmmm that’s the only reason the EE players went up there? Really?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I like that you are thinking outside of the double E thing as it might be necessary. I agree, don't change the colors. All those seats at CW would look rather silly if we did.
    Golden Eagles is an interesting name. I'm sure we couldn't just go with Eagles, but that could solve the EE thing.
    As a Lions fan and speaking for countless fans of the other teams in the CFL we will gladly help the Esks choose a new name Hugo.

vCash

Very crude attempt....

Edmonton Golden Eagles.jpg
    Last edited by The Messiah; 07-08-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash
    Blog Entries

I really don't think I have the time or energy to rebrand this site to be completely honest.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Someone on the other board mentioned that the Eskimos copyrighted "Edmonton Empire".

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Very crude attempt....

Edmonton Golden Eagles.jpg
    Great effort! Not bad at all

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I really don't think I have the time or energy to rebrand this site to be completely honest.
    Keep as is.. tribute!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Someone on the other board mentioned that the Eskimos copyrighted "Edmonton Empire".
    According to many twitter people this is correct.. more than a year ago

vCash

That was a few years ago. Their position may have changed by now. Ultimately, with the anti-imperialism slant that is growing daily (people wanting to remove royal naming conventions from streets, cities, etc.), we may want to stay away from a name that connotes Conquering people.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Only issue with a re-branding exercise is that it can be extremely costly in a time where they probably don't have enough money to try it. One would hope a bunch of work was previously done in case it came to this, but if not, they may need to go with a lazy name change that minimizes re-branding.
    Very true..

vCash

As to specific names, the other thing at play is the Fight Song. If you substitute the word Edmonton for Eskimos it works right up until the last word. Is there any way to make that work? You could go with "Edmonton Elks, Let's Go!" which seems lame, but I can't imagine there being many other options to make it work.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    That was a few years ago. Their position may have changed by now. Ultimately, with the anti-imperialism slant that is growing daily (people wanting to remove royal naming conventions from streets, cities, etc.), we may want to stay away from a name that connotes Conquering people.
    As I said the crusades prob didn’t end well for any Ingenious people who had to face Richard and the likes..

Empire is catchy for its Star Wars reference etc but it’s not any more pc the eskimos

vCash

Edmonton Elves would retain the EE and the association with the Arctic; North Pole specifically. However I don't think Nanook and Punter would look good dressed up as Santa's little helpers in elf costumes. It's not a good visual.

Seriously though I feel for Esk fans and fans of any team in any sport or level of sport going through this process. It's happening and will be happening all over North America. It's already been happening in the CIS with McGill. SFU will be making a change. I see today that the Saanich Braves of the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League announced they will be changing their name which they've used since their inception in 1967. Fans invest themselves for years supporting a team to the point even something as inane as a nickname becomes not just part of the team's identity but that of the fan too.

vCash

Stolen from the Oilers HF board (thanks Habaneros), how about the Edmonton Escalade(s). Double E, flows similarly to Eskimos, instead of Esksfans it becomes Escsfans, fits into the fight song, ties to military, and the military technique could also be described as a "hook and ladder" technique.

vCash

Spell it Eskalades, then you keep the Esks.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

The thing that frustrates me so much is that the calls don't seem to come from the people impacted. Sure, I bet there are some within the Inuit and other Native groups that are offended and I definitely respect those views, but by and large I see more outrage elsewhere.

I live adjacent to the Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory here in Ontario - you might have heard of them blocking the trains earlier this spring. Many people who were at the front lines of that weren't Tyendinaga residents, but that's another tirade. Regularly, you see almost as many Chief Wahoo hats there as you do Blue Jay hats. By and large, people there do find identity, relate and take ownership in the Cleveland branding. The Eskimos appear to have found the same thing in their northern outreach. I don't understand why the woke crowd believes it has more right to speak on the subject than the people who actually have that cultural heritage.

I just wonder where we draw the line in all of this.
    Last edited by BeaverSports; 07-08-2020 at 02:11 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Stolen from the Oilers HF board (thanks Habaneros), how about the Edmonton Escalade(s). Double E, flows similarly to Eskimos, instead of Esksfans it becomes Escsfans, fits into the fight song, ties to military, and the military technique could also be described as a "hook and ladder" technique.
    Why would you name the team after an ugly, grampa driving SUV?
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

The thing that drives me bat**** crazy is when the PC police play the “Its just a name” card.

I have so many problems with that statement.

1. If it’s just a name, why are we having this discussion? How could something that by their own words is “just a name” how can it be hurtful or derogatory or racist? After all, it is “just a name”.

2. One of the biggest decisions of my life was naming my first born daughter. I could have named her North Star or something else absurd, but we didn’t. Why? Because it mattered. It’s not just a name.

Unlike many of you, I’m not from Edmonton. My grandparents were but they moved before my dad was born. But my grandpa raised my dad to be an Eskimo fan and my dad raised me. If the Eskimos die and become something else, for me it will be like a team leaving my city, I would lose the connection I had to the team.

It’s not just a name.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Why would you name the team after an ugly, grampa driving SUV?
    That was the one negative I chose to ignore. But the historical definition is somewhat relevent "an act of scaling especially the walls of a fortification"
    ".
    Last edited by bone; 07-08-2020 at 02:45 PM.

vCash

For the trolling effect we should be called the Edmonton Social Justice Warriors.

vCash

Edmonton Eskers

Any anti-landformers around?

Our drum team could be renamed the Drumlins.

Done.

vCash

For the trolling effect we should be called the Edmonton Social Justice Warriors.

As for Eagles, sorry I do not see the relevance and the eagle is an American symbol.

since PSI funding has been cut to the bone and all the teams are going to fold lets steal Golden Bears, we can have a picture of jack nicklaus on the helmets.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    It’s not just a name.
    When one thinks about it when a person is asked who their favourite team is in any sport how do they typically respond? City and nickname? City only? Or nickname only? I'm wagering that the majority answer with the third option.

vCash

The Eskimos have Jordan Tootoos’ blessing.

https://thenationaltelegraph.com/spo...ionable-to-him

vCash

I’m sure there are tons of people out there (including prominent people who are members of the affected demographic) who are not only fine with the name but who also take pride in it. However, if the Eskimos can’t get sponsors without changing their name, then unfortunately that’s what they’ll have to do.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post

That was very well thought out and well written. He said it's not objectionable to him but that it is to other people he knows...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

I have said many times that if a large portion of the people it actually impacts say it's offensive then change it. What tends to happen is either someone who it doesn't impact what so ever tells the people they should be offended, or there is a tiny but very vocal minority who say it's offensive. Those tiny, very vocal people tend to be offended by everything and I do wonder if some are just looking to get famous as loud mouths get noticed. So I had said don't change it if the majority like it.

However, at this point I say just change it. I don't want it to change but the fact the Esks have been researching this for YEARS, they post their findings about the people not being offended by it, they have the people saying they like it, yet this issue continues to be brought up. I have a feeling that it will continue to be brought up given what is going on in the world and the small minority that want attention won't let it die no matter what evidence is shown to them. This will continue to fester and dog the team and eventually I could see the people who like the name go. "hmmmm gee, maybe I should be offended" over time. So just put the issue to rest.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post

For every blessing...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    That was very well thought out and well written. He said it's not objectionable to him but that it is to other people he knows...
    He must have said that somewhere else because he did not say it in the statement quoted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    For every blessing...

That's an interesting statement and indicates that the people being offended are young people.

vCash

26 year-old MP from Nunavit also believes the name should be changed.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

It does sound like the younger generation are the ones that are "offended" so it begs the question, is the term actually offensive or is it offensive only because the younger generation and how things are now take offense to everything? I do find that people throw around the term being "disrespected" a hell of a lot and often times I question if they actually know what that means. Just because you don't share the same opinion on something, doesn't mean a person is disrespecting you yet that seems to be the case these days.

I think no matter what happens, they will have to change it strictly because it will be a story even if it evidence suggests it shouldn't be.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

As for Eagles, sorry I do not see the relevance and the eagle is an American symbol.

since PSI funding has been cut to the bone and all the teams are going to fold lets steal Golden Bears, we can have a picture of jack nicklaus on the helmets.
    Golden Eagle info: Golden eagles are large birds of prey found in the West and across Canada and Alaska. Alberta & Rocky Mountains in particular is a breeding ground and migratory path.
    They would have more in common with Edmonton than Lions do with Vancouver, Argonauts do with Toronto or Tiger-Cats do with Hamilton.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    It does sound like the younger generation are the ones that are "offended" so it begs the question, is the term actually offensive or is it offensive only because the younger generation and how things are now take offense to everything? I do find that people throw around the term being "disrespected" a hell of a lot and often times I question if they actually know what that means. Just because you don't share the same opinion on something, doesn't mean a person is disrespecting you yet that seems to be the case these days.

I think no matter what happens, they will have to change it strictly because it will be a story even if it evidence suggests it shouldn't be.
    Agree with a lot of what you say here.

Most of my teenage daughters friends think the name is offensive (rightly or wrongly). The reality is, if you want to grow the game and appeal to the younger crowds....well, the name may have to change.
    The name "Eskimo" has zero marketing appeal. No cool logo's, nothing exciting about the name. Golden Eagles (my suggestion) would be great for marketing, modern logo, mascots, tshirts, hats, etc.

I think we all know it's going to happen eventually so what better way to relaunch the CFL in 2021 than have a new name an identity.
    ----------------------