Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos changing team name

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Blech. What does that even mean for a team name?

The only Edmonton connection is that Hugh Campbell left the Esks to become LA Express' first coach. He lasted one year. The USFL not much longer.

Pass.
    Actually there was a player years ago called The Edmonton Express, though he played for a different Edmonton Eskimos: Hockey Hall of Famer Eddie Shore. Shore was with the hockey Eskimos in 1925-26 when he earned that nickname, which followed him to Boston when he played for the Bruins.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I just hope they keep the EE and the Green and Gold.

I broke the news to my 9 and 7 yr old about the name change. I tried to explain it to them that times have changes and some of the Inuit people don't like the name so it has to change. They were disappointed. My youngest response was "Does that mean I can't wear my hat anymore"
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I just hope they keep the EE and the Green and Gold.

I broke the news to my 9 and 7 yr old about the name change. I tried to explain it to them that times have changes and some of the Inuit people don't like the name so it has to change. They were disappointed. My youngest response was "Does that mean I can't wear my hat anymore"
    If weíre forced to change the logo due to the name then Technically they canít .., and that is sad.. ee logo just isnít a racist logo is it... itís two flipping Eís

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Actually there was a player years ago called The Edmonton Express, though he played for a different Edmonton Eskimos: Hockey Hall of Famer Eddie Shore. Shore was with the hockey Eskimos in 1925-26 when he earned that nickname, which followed him to Boston when he played for the Bruins.
    Old time hockey???
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    If we’re forced to change the logo due to the name then Technically they can’t .., and that is sad.. ee logo just isn’t a racist logo is it... it’s two flipping E’s
    That is why I hope they pick an E name. At least then you can keep with some of the old tradition. You still honor the logo. I heard Lowetide last week saying he liked the Edmonton Battalion. I thought it was terrible. Not that the name is bad, I get the tie in to the army base and history but it's got nothing to so with the Eskimos and their tradition. It's bad enough you have to lose Eskimos which will piss off people, don't blow everything up.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash
    Blog Entries

When they do make the announcement for the new name/logo/colors/etc. I suspect there's going to be a crapload of stuff for sale on eBay...
    I know all my Esks stuff is put away now...
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    When they do make the announcement for the new name/logo/colors/etc. I suspect there's going to be a crapload of stuff for sale on eBay...
    I thought they would have already caved by now and gone with empire ( which I’m not a fan of ) new word mark same logo etc but they haven’t yet

Which means they are fighting for the name or coming up with new logos etc to go along side the new names..

Imagine the cost alone to replace signage at CW then there is the truck load of merch they have as stock..

Not good in this current climate is it... maybe we can ask montreal for our 200k back to help off set costs....

vCash

Yeah I put the few things I have away too. The one thing that I wished that I had pulled the trigger on a few years back was one of the signed green helmets. Too bad because you just do not see them around much.

vCash

I thought they would have already caved by now and gone with empire ( which I’m not a fan of ) new word mark same logo etc but they haven’t yet

Which means they are fighting for the name or coming up with new logos etc to go along side the new names..

Imagine the cost alone to replace signage at CW then there is the truck load of merch they have as stock..

Not good in this current climate is it... maybe we can ask montreal for our 200k back to help off set costs....
    If they keep the green and gold and keep the EE logo, that would have to help with the costs associated with a name change. I hope they keep it as simple as possible.

vCash

They might be waiting to see if there's even going to be a league.

vCash

I looked specifically at this last year, and most of the merchandise the last couple years didn't have the word Eskimos printed on it, so if they can keep the EE logo, they can keep a lot of the merchandise.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    They might be waiting to see if there's even going to be a league.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. They originally stated a decision by the end of the month because there may in fact not be a season... okay, probably not. This will give them time. I suspect the official announcement will be that they will be known as the Edmonton Football Club until an official rebranding launch event some time in 2021. New Era was scheduled to have new league uniforms that year anyway, so they could tie a lot of their marketing into that.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I looked specifically at this last year, and most of the merchandise the last couple years didn't have the word Eskimos printed on it, so if they can keep the EE logo, they can keep a lot of the merchandise.
    Actually that’s shrewd....

vCash

I keep hearing that people are going to sell all their stuff, and give up their season seats, etc. Much like I hear how all these Americans are moving to Canada if Trump gets elected, etc. So far, I don't think any of this is true in any large numbers, but if it DOES come to pass, let me know if anyone is ditching a set of 4 seats in G!

Oh, and always looking for some more vintage stuff for my football room, too.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

I thought they would have already caved by now and gone with empire ( which Iím not a fan of ) new word mark same logo etc but they havenít yet

As a business, if you are selecting a name, you need to make sure to secure things like the domain/URL, Social Media accounts, etc., before you announce that change, or else someone else can lock that down and you have to pay a ransom for it.

@EdmontonEmpire is already taken by an enterprising Edmonton fan (hey.... Edmonton Enterprise? Why not...), and www.edmontonempire.com was registered 5 years ago by a company that registers domain names and sits on them hoping to ransom them off for big dollars. If the club is looking to move to "Empire" as a name, they would have already gotten these secured by now, so it makes me think that they are looking in a different direction.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Mike Ludwig on 3dwnnation also wrote a worthwhile article on the subject IMO...https://3downnation.com/2020/07/19/d...-eskimos-name/
    That's a well thought out article, thanks for posting.

vCash

Major announcement coming at 1:15. Hmm I wonder what this could pertain to. Sad day in Eskimos history.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Major announcement coming at 1:15. Hmm I wonder what this could pertain to. Sad day in Eskimos history.
    Maybe they are announcing that they have booked Vanilla Ice for the opening day half time show?

That would still be a sad day in Eskimo history...
    Last edited by widowmaker; 07-21-2020 at 12:57 PM.

vCash

maybe we can ask montreal for our 200k back to help off set costs....
    I wondered this after the finances were published last week, was this a loan? or just for the good of the league?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash
    Blog Entries

So the "Major Announcement" was that they're not going to be using Eskimos anymore? Um, didn't they already say that?

vCash

So the "Major Announcement" was that they're not going to be using Eskimos anymore? Um, didn't they already say that?
    Rishaug leaked it, but nothing official had come from the team until today.

vCash

Warren Moon and Brian Kelly were my heroes. They played for the Edmonton Eskimos.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well at least they're on the ball I guess... Ugh...

vCash

Warren Moon and Brian Kelly were my heroes. They played for the Edmonton Eskimos.
    This..

I’m gutted... honestly gutted..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Last day in eskimos history...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I wondered this after the finances were published last week, was this a loan? or just for the good of the league?
    For the good of the league.. as per with Edmonton.. our chunk was higher than everyone else’s to..

We continue to keep this league afloat

For all the good it’s done..

- - - Updated - - -

Once an eskimo.... ALWAYS an eskimo...

I’m still calling us esks..

vCash

Rishaug saying that the new name will be announced by the end of the month.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    I do hope they don't drag it out. Just get it over with.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    No chance. And he said the exact opposite of that.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    No chance. And he said the exact opposite of that.
    I agree with this.. take the time

Side point of there was a season we would have to get a new hastily done batch of jerseys.. u assume all blanks come with the Eskimos on our equipment room only add the numbers...

vCash

If there are costs associated with Angelus having to make changes to the site, we should all donate.

vCash
    Blog Entries

If there are costs associated with Angelus having to make changes to the site, we should all donate.
    Don't worry about it. The only real cost will be my time...
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham