Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos changing team name

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I don't know how anyone can be okay with Elk. That is just awful.
    Truth! Preach it brother! Testify!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Fair enough.

I tend to find that teams trying too hard to sound badass end up coming across as if they’re depending on capitalizing on a fad as a cheap substitute for character. It often feels like a lame marketing ploy used in the absence of history and substance and usually ends up sounding dated soon after (what sounds cool today doesn’t usually sound cool ten years from now).

I’d prefer to stay away from that trap and stick with something that sounds strong, simple, and classy because I think you have a better chance of standing the test of time that way.

That’s just my opinion though.
    The more I think about this the more I smell opportunity.

I hope that they do a thorough consultation with fans and get this right. Even if that means that the EE logo goes away. I mean, unless they bring back to old, curved EE. That straight lined EE was never as good anyway. Come up with a really awesome name and logo and move forward. We can always fondly remember the Edmonton Eskimos, 1949-2000.

vCash

In all fairness, if somebody was previously not aware of this football team and it's history, Eskimos would sound like a rather silly name.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

YEG

The Edmonton Yegs football team.

To be honest I would rather they change the 2nd letter to something other than E than end up with a lousy E word.

It's better than Energy, Express, or Evolution, or even Empire in my opinion. And I prefer Elks as going with Elk defeats the purpose of recalling that part of our past.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    In all fairness, if somebody was previously not aware of this football team and it's history, Eskimos would sound like a rather silly name.
    Yeah, it's kind of awful as well now that I think about it.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post

I hope that they do a thorough consultation with fans and get this right. Even if that means that the EE logo goes away. I mean, unless they bring back to old, curved EE. That straight lined EE was never as good anyway. Come up with a really awesome name and logo and move forward. We can always fondly remember the Edmonton Eskimos, 1949-2000.
    I agree that they have do have an opportunity here, and that they have to get this right.

But the name change is a profound enough loss as it is, I couldn't stand to lose the logo as well.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Truth! Preach it brother! Testify!

- - - Updated - - -

For me that's a non starter. As far as I'm concerned they have to keep the logo and the team colors but that's just my opinion and I'm definitely an older fan so maybe they go in a different direction but I hope not. I think its worth preserving tradition especially when it is so rich and littered with championships.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Whatever the new name turns out to be you can bet there will be a lot of money spent on marketing consultants.

For pro sports today there's a lot more to a name than just the name. Back in the day when when the Eskimos and many other teams were named it was simply assign a name and go with it. There were no team stores hawking hats, jerseys and other swag.

For starters it has to easily roll off the tongue. After that though how can the team take that name and use it to generate as much revenue as possible through marketing of jerseys and all those other things you see in the team store. It also has to be something that resonates with the kids. As iconic as the EE logo is it and Nanook about all the marketing group has to work with when it comes to designing t-shirts and stuff.

Maintaining the green and gold is easy. Choosing a name that allows keeping the iconic EE while checking off all the other marketing boxes will be a tight needle to thread.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 07-24-2020 at 01:32 PM.

This is a good example of the potential Elks has

And I think cmbuk posted this earlier but this is a pretty sweet uniform concept

vCash

As long as Belair Direct isn't on it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    As long as Belair Direct isn't on it.
    Eskimo controversy aside Belair has been a very valuable sponsor to the CFL. Not only were they sponsoring the Eskimos but they were also a major corporate sponsor to the CFL, BC Lions and I believe Montreal Alouettes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    For me that's a non starter. As far as I'm concerned they have to keep the logo and the team colors but that's just my opinion and I'm definitely an older fan so maybe they go in a different direction but I hope not. I think its worth preserving tradition especially when it is so rich and littered with championships.
    I understand that. I'm okay if they keep the logo, but...

1. The EFC and the CFL need to do something to make themselves attractive to a younger audience. That goes way beyond logos. It goes to the heart of the fact that fans take the CFL more seriously than the owners do.
    2. That EE logo, to me, represents the Eskimos.
    3. I always hated the change to that straight lined EE anyway.

This seems like a tremendous opportunity

- - - Updated - - -

And I think cmbuk posted this earlier but this is a pretty sweet uniform concept

Great work. Still hate it, though.

vCash

Looks sharp. I don't think it's necessary to make the logo itself the hill to die on. BC, Montreal and Toronto have all changed their logo multiple times over the years. Ditto Saskatchewan and Winnipeg although they kept the S and W in all renditions.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Eskimo controversy aside Belair has been a very valuable sponsor to the CFL. Not only were they sponsoring the Eskimos but they were also a major corporate sponsor to the CFL, BC Lions and I believe Montreal Alouettes.
    Tough titties. They won't see a single penny from anything I'm associated with if I can help it.

vCash

I understand that. I'm okay if they keep the logo, but...

1. The EFC and the CFL need to do something to make themselves attractive to a younger audience. That goes way beyond logos. It goes to the heart of the fact that fans take the CFL more seriously than the owners do.
    2. That EE logo, to me, represents the Eskimos.
    3. I always hated the change to that straight lined EE anyway.

This seems like a tremendous opportunity

- - - Updated - - -

Great work. Still hate it, though.
    Yeah, it is not for me either.

vCash

Logo looks great. Only way I want antler on a helmet is if it's a third jersey design.

Elks does have good marketing possibilities, Tough, strong animal, fierce and represents to northern region. Mascot can appeal to kids with a cartoon type version. Definitely a real good choice if it's Elks. Christ, if an NBA team can choose a Pelican as a team name and logo, then why not Elk?
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Main thing is when a team has to re-brand as the Esks have to do they really only get one crack at it. Whatever they opt to go with they have to live with it for the next several decades or hopefully for as long as there is a CFL. They have to nail it. No mulligans.

vCash

The animal in the logo is snarling because it is a deer and it is being called an Elk.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 07-25-2020 at 01:40 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The animal in the logo is snarling because it is a deer and it is being called and Elk.

And a whitetail too.

Wondering if someone takes offense to the name "Blue Bombers" at some point. Everyone else seems okay.
    Tough time to have to deal with a name controversy in light of all the bigger issues at hand. Political correctness is big though. I'll say it now that the Eskimo's were tough competitors and a first class operation over the years. If the new name can match the number of banners hanging at the Spirit of Edmonton Grey Cup party then they will not have to worry about things like a name. Assuming the current banners stay as is. Good luck going forward.

vCash

People will go after the Stampeders name before the Blue Bombers - Vince Leah just piggybacked on the popularity of Joe Louis, aka the Brown Bomber and tagged the team he covered for the newspaper. Nothing to do with military or war.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

The Edmonton Eggs

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Edmonton Eggs

We have bigger huevos?

vCash

Edmonton Empire is still my fav..... "Evil Empire" is easy to market...... TSN and all those other a$$hats can go #$^%$%@%&^%%^$*^&$^$&^&$*^$*& themselves!
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoses View Post
    Edmonton Empire is still my fav..... "Evil Empire" is easy to market...... TSN and all those other a$$hats can go #$^%$%@%&^%%^$*^&$^$&^&$*^$*& themselves!
    I share your sentiments about TSN , then I remember the wise words of J. Croce ; " you don't spit into the wind, you don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't pull the mask on the ol Lone Ranger, and you don't mess with T S N.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Whereas I'm just waiting for final confirmation the season is done so I can cancel my TSN...
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

I cancelled all my TV. Sure helped on the Telus bill.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Whereas I'm just waiting for final confirmation the season is done so I can cancel my TSN...
    Not me. It felt really good last night being able to flip back and forth between the TSN channels showing the live Giants/Dodgers and Whitecaps/Sporting KC games.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Not me. It felt really good last night being able to flip back and forth between the TSN channels showing the live Giants/Dodgers and Whitecaps/Sporting KC games.
    Great for most people...but I'm one of the weird anomalies that the only sport I watch is CFL.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Great for most people...but I'm one of the weird anomalies that the only sport I watch is CFL.
    Same here. I’m literally only holding on to it for the CFL. If/when it’s confirmed that the season is toast my cable will be gone moments after I see the headline.