Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Winnipeg BLUE Bombers
    Detroit RED Wings
    Columbus BLUE Jackets
    Vegas GOLDEN Knights
    Boston RED Sox
    Chicago WHITE Sox
    Duke BLUE Devils

So many examples out there. Golden Eagles isn't that unique or that bad. Give it time. Better than a lot of other team names out there.

On its own, it would be fine...if we were starting a team from scratch.

You can't brand a team and emphasize the Golden part, or make it a major point (as I assume we would do to differentiate from Philly/others)......but then dismiss the colour entirely and keep the EE logo. Not one of those teams refers to themselves or uses an acronym without their colour, as far as I know, and that's what we'd have to do for the EE logo to make any sense then.

And so you're either copying another major team name with Eagles only, or you're dismissing a classic logo and severing a major tie to history. Not a great alternative either way.

I don't know which I'd prefer - Eagles only, I guess - but I'd vote for Elks first.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Re: Eskimos changing team name

Winnipeg BLUE Bombers
    Detroit RED Wings
    Columbus BLUE Jackets
    Vegas GOLDEN Knights
    Boston RED Sox
    Chicago WHITE Sox
    Duke BLUE Devils

So many examples out there. Golden Eagles isn't that unique or that bad. Give it time. Better than a lot of other team names out there.
    And of course, the reason they may be so high on it: the University of Alberta GOLDEN Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    On its own, it would be fine...if we were starting a team from scratch.

You can't brand a team and emphasize the Golden part, or make it a major point (as I assume we would do to differentiate from Philly/others)......but then dismiss the colour entirely and keep the EE logo. Not one of those teams refers to themselves or uses an acronym without their colour, as far as I know, and that's what we'd have to do for the EE logo to make any sense then.

And so you're either copying another major team name with Eagles only, or you're dismissing a classic logo and severing a major tie to history. Not a great alternative either way.

I don't know which I'd prefer - Eagles only, I guess - but I'd vote for Elks first.
    It's not a massive stretch to tell people that this is a "GE" rather than an "EE":

Ultimately everyone who's been a fan prior to 2020 will know it as an EE however, so I don't know that it would keep the same logo for long if they went with Golden Eagles.

I have been on the Elks train for a while if the name was to change. I think there are a ton of marketing possibilities with it, and people don't really bat an eye on a sports team in Pittsburgh being called the Penguins or the Anaheim Ducks. It will get some grumbling at first, but ultimately the world will accept it within a few years, like the have with all other sports teams.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    And of course, the reason they may be so high on it: the University of Alberta GOLDEN Bears.

It's not a massive stretch to tell people that this is a "GE" rather than an "EE":

Ultimately everyone who's been a fan prior to 2020 will know it as an EE however, so I don't know that it would keep the same logo for long if they went with Golden Eagles.

I have been on the Elks train for a while if the name was to change. I think there are a ton of marketing possibilities with it, and people don't really bat an eye on a sports team in Pittsburgh being called the Penguins or the Anaheim Ducks. It will get some grumbling at first, but ultimately the world will accept it within a few years, like the have with all other sports teams.
    Like this

golden eagle.jpg

vCash

I think Elks or Golden Eagles are fine. Elks is a bit boring, but it's unique. Golden Eagles does seem too common, but it's more interesting than Elks.

As for the logo, they're having to fit a square peg in a round hole to a degree. I think whichever name they choose, the Double E logo stays (for now) as it's too costly to change and rebrand completely. However, I can see the EE logo fading away in the next few years much like the use of the term "Eskimos" in marketing was slowly being phased out over the past decade. Give it 2-3 years and they will debut a new primary logo but continue to have EE on the pants and some marketing products. They'll begin with a secondary helmet logo design that will eventually become the primary one.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

I prefer Elks to Golden Eagles myself. I even like Express since I'm a big time train buff and I can see the roaring/charging locomotive imagery.

Overall though my anger at the name change has barely faded and my sadness will last as long as I do. The gridiron football team I embraced as a kid back in 1960 is gone.

Last edited by Foxhound; 01-27-2021 at 03:13 PM.
    Radically Canadian!

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

I'm still calling them the Eskimos....and I always will.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

[QUOTE=56Parkies;884051]And of course, the reason they may be so high on it: the University of Alberta GOLDEN Bears.

Now ALL I see is GE. Thanks, Parkies.
    @chadganske

vCash

#PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I really like what Presson has done so far, some really interesting ideas!!!!!!
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

vCash

This should be all over the news and on Twitter/Instagram, etc. You want to have engaged fans, you show this everywhere, no matter what your choice is.

vCash

Love it!
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash
    Blog Entries

Final 7 names? 7?? Kind of an arbitrary number. Usually it's the Top 5 or Top 10 or something. Where/what are the choices?

Cool idea, but considering people are stupid...I mean come on...Boaty McBoatface? Just have to wonder how to keep people from stuffing the ballot box so to speak. Sure, it's not like we're voting for our new king or something really important like that but still.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Final 7 names? 7?? Kind of an arbitrary number. Usually it's the Top 5 or Top 10 or something. Where/what are the choices?

Cool idea, but considering people are stupid...I mean come on...Boaty McBoatface? Just have to wonder how to keep people from stuffing the ballot box so to speak. Sure, it's not like we're voting for our new king or something really important like that but still.
    Maybe the Top 3 of these 7 go onto a final vote?

vCash

You know Riders fans, if given the chance to influence our team name they will. We could end up being the Sparkly Unicorns
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

vCash

I suspect they've already made their choice on a name. They're putting out the 7 options to get feedback and confirm their choice is the most popular.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    You know Riders fans, if given the chance to influence our team name they will. We could end up being the Sparkly Unicorns

Assuming Sparkly Unicorns was one of the top 7 picks the team has.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Assuming Sparkly Unicorns was one of the top 7 picks the team has.
    I assume it won't be but Riders fans could take it upon themselves to pic the least popular of the 7 and stuff the ballot box

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I assume it won't be but Riders fans could take it upon themselves to pic the least popular of the 7 and stuff the ballot box
    Certainly. I'm hoping it is to gauge general interest instead of final choosing, and that it is somewhat protected like the name submissions were. We'll see. I don't mind them trying to get feedback. At minimum it will give the team some exposure which is never a bad thing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Certainly. I'm hoping it is to gauge general interest instead of final choosing, and that it is somewhat protected like the name submissions were. We'll see. I don't mind them trying to get feedback. At minimum it will give the team some exposure which is never a bad thing.
    For sure!!!! now lets hope we actually get to use the name

vCash

Like what could go wrong with a vote boaty mcboatface? Will they limit votes to Alberta or to season seat holders?

vCash

I don’t care what anyone says Joe public ain’t picking this.. they already know what they are takin. It’s a tickboxing exercise and I like it but as pointed out this could go sideways if you get some slapdick voters..

They won’t risk it..

Just get it right guys..

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect they've already made their choice on a name. They're putting out the 7 options to get feedback and confirm their choice is the most popular.
    Agreed

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I don’t care what anyone says Joe public ain’t picking this.. they already know what they are takin. It’s a tickboxing exercise and I like it but as pointed out this could go sideways if you get some slapdick voters..

They won’t risk it..

Just get it right guys..

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed
    Slapdick voters! I'll have to remember that one...

vCash

Slapdick voters! I'll have to remember that one...
    I think it would be a good name to replace RoughRiders.

vCash

Saskatchewan Slapdicks. Has a nice ring to it.
    ----------------------

vCash

I just did the survey and I must say, there's not really a name in there I like. The seven choices are Elk, Eagles, Evergreens, Evergolds, Elkhounds, Eclipse, and Elements. The first three are maybes for me, the last four just seem ridiculous. I really think they missed the Express train as one of the only viable options. Maybe EE Football Team is the way to go.

vCash

Some of the options are real head scratchers. Were those really the best 7 options they could come up with after all this time? And why 7? Couldn't it have been 5 of that's the best they had to work with?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Evergreen and Evergold? WTF??? That's the best names out there? Out of 14000 submissions? Out of 2000 different choices?
    Makes me shudder to think what some of the "bad" ones were...

At any rate, now I'm convinced the name WILL suck. Before this, I had at least a glimmer of hope.

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Well when Inuit say they have had it used in a derogatory way towards them then yeah...it is a racial slur.
    Only the young Inuit sat that and it has been proven that this is a modern day fallacy. It was not the case when the word was first given. The elders did not pass this info down.

- - - Updated - - -

Evergreen and Evergold? WTF??? That's the best names out there? Out of 14000 submissions? Out of 2000 different choices?
    Makes me shudder to think what some of the "bad" ones were...

At any rate, now I'm convinced the name WILL suck. Before this, I had at least a glimmer of hope.
    I can’t believe Empire didn’t make it, probably too dark and offensive.

14,000 entries? Well I entered Eskimos 13,000 times.

Flipping Evergreens and Evergolds? How the hell did those two make it, you know Rider fans will be voting for those two.

- - - Updated - - -

And I’ll be screaming it at games.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash
    Blog Entries

TW and Kidlet both like Elkhounds... So they voted for those. (So did I actually, after listening to the "TouchDOWN ElkHOUNDS"...I like how it sounds.) Elk was the best of them but it didn't roll off the tongue for me.

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    Only the young Inuit sat that and it has been proven that this is a modern day fallacy. It was not the case when the word was first given. The elders did not pass this info down.

- - - Updated - - -

I can’t believe Empire didn’t make it, probably too dark and offensive.

14,000 entries? Well I entered Eskimos 13,000 times.

Flipping Evergreens and Evergolds? How the hell did those two make it, you know Rider fans will be voting for those two.

- - - Updated - - -

And I’ll be screaming it at games.
    The EEFC said Empire was not an option right from the start.
    ----------------------