Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Quote Originally Posted by chirp View Post
    Comparing Canucks and Eskimos is not the same thing. One is a nickname and one is derogatory.
    This is where the interesting part is. As an indigenous person, the only name I have ever really had a problem with is the Redskins and the old Cleveland Indians logo. Never had a problem with Blackhawks, Braves (though their tomahawk chop was racist as hell. I remember thinking that as a 7 year old in 1992!) or Chiefs.

That is the crux...there are certainly those out there who do have a problem with some of those names.

But as I have said a thousand times...I generally care about the people involved in the name and their take. Not what some random person or random reporter thinks...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Because you are opposed to change or prefer a different name?

- - - Updated - - -

I would rather the team change while it is their choice instead of being forced to in the future.
    I like the Eskimos name and wish it could stay, but I totally understand that it may be offensive to some. I think it should be changed as these are the times we are in.

As far as Empire goes, that's just an awful name.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    This is where the interesting part is. As an indigenous person, the only name I have ever really had a problem with is the Redskins and the old Cleveland Indians logo. Never had a problem with Blackhawks, Braves (though their tomahawk chop was racist as hell. I remember thinking that as a 7 year old in 1992!) or Chiefs.

That is the crux...there are certainly those out there who do have a problem with some of those names.

But as I have said a thousand times...I generally care about the people involved in the name and their take. Not what some random person or random reporter thinks...

The bolded is pretty much how I think as well. To me, it is not up to some fat white guy (me) to decide what is offensive when it comes to assessing something that is offensive when I am not a part of that group. That said, the question that I have is what is the threshold that one would want to make a determination of what is offensive?

As an example, if 65% of Inuit polled are not offended by the name is that enough? Is it enough that 10, 15, 20, or 40 percent are offended?

One thing I always hear is that there is no consensus on the issue. For me, I think that is unrealistic as a benchmark for making decisions when there is so rarely a consensus on anything. Hell, if we polled people on whether Elvis was dead there would be no consensus.
    Last edited by widowmaker; 07-06-2020 at 07:24 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    The bolded is pretty much how I think as well. To me, it is not up to some fat white guy (me) to decide what is offensive when it comes to assessing something that is offensive when I am not a part of that group. That said, the question that I have is what is the threshold that one would want to make a determination of what is offensive?

As an example, if 65% of Inuit polled are not offended by the name is that enough? Is it enough that 10, 15, 20, or 40 percent are offended?

One thing I always hear is that there is no consensus on the issue. For me, I think that is unrealistic as a benchmark for making decisions when there is so rarely a consensus on anything. Hell, if we polled people on whether Elvis was dead we would would not e have a consensus.
    That was my point earlier. What are the numbers? That the EEFC aren't releasing the numbers makes me suspect the numbers against the name are uncomfortable high.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    That was my point earlier. What are the numbers? That the EEFC aren't releasing the numbers makes me suspect the numbers against the name are uncomfortable high.
    This time next year the team will have a different name. No matter what any of us think.

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Drop them then. Belair direct is not the Inuit, therefore their opinion should mean nothing.

Why did they wait until now to pull this stunt? They didnít seem to have a problem until the speak out movement started.

A cynic might say that they donít care about the Inuit and are just trying to score some cheap popularity points with the casual public. But surely that isnít the case...

vCash

I have no problem ending my ties to any organization like Belair Direct who wants to grandstand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Drop them then. Belair direct is not the Inuit, therefore their opinion should mean nothing.

Why did they wait until now to pull this stunt? They didn’t seem to have a problem until the speak out movement started.

A cynic might say that they don’t care about the Inuit and are just trying to score some cheap popularity points with the casual public. But surely that isn’t the case...
    I’d say u were right...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    This time next year the team will have a different name. No matter what any of us think.
    Tbh and this is just my opinion, but if we lose the eskimo moniker then it’s time for a rebrand.. not just a lazy name beginning with E just so we can keep the EE logo etc, if that new logo and branding means new colour scheme etc then so be it... I’m not one of these that will be happy with us lumping empire on the end and what not, I don’t want empire.. and heck I’m British.. u know what the British empire did .... it’s just as bad..

I hope we don’t lose the name based purely on our history.. but if we do then we need to really do it...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Tbh and this is just my opinion, but if we lose the eskimo moniker then it’s time for a rebrand.. not just a lazy name beginning with E just so we can keep the EE logo etc, if that new logo and branding means new colour scheme etc then so be it... I’m not one of these that will be happy with us lumping empire on the end and what not, I don’t want empire.. and heck I’m British.. u know what the British empire did .... it’s just as bad..

I hope we don’t lose the name based purely on our history.. but if we do then we need to really do it...
    I don't want them to change the name, but they are going to. As fans/supporters we should start thinking now in the terms you speak of. What should the name be? Should we have a total re-brand?

I think it's fine to keep the same colors and logo and find something that starts with "E". But I have a lifetime of association with that logo and those colors. I would hope they bring back the old curved double E.

Empire will be seen as too politically incorrect.....so that's what I think the name should be.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post

Why did they wait until now to pull this stunt? They didn’t seem to have a problem until the speak out movement started.

A cynic might say that they don’t care about the Inuit and are just trying to score some cheap popularity points with the casual public. But surely that isn’t the case...
    Typically when a company does such things it's because they themselves start getting pressure from their customers and/or investors. So if you are advocating the Esks let Belair go they should do the same with any of their sponsors who might follow that path? Keep in mind sponsorship is the Eskimos 2nd largest form of revenue behind gate receipts and makes up nearly 25% of overall revenue.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 07-08-2020 at 10:45 AM.

vCash

If the team can't get sponsors without a rebrand, then they may have no choice regardless of what I or anyone affected or not affected by the name may think.

I'd rather cheer for the Edmonton Elephant Ears or whatever than not have a CFL team to cheer for at all.

vCash

Hey, all. I’ve been quite silent lately, but feel the need to voice my thoughts.

Inevitable is the change of name, no question. The way it has been brought about is 100% wrong. The team, has done amazing diligence with the Inuit community, back to the Rhode’s regime (one thing he got right). Reading several news paper articles from Nunavut and NWT, the opinions amongst the public making comments are mixed.

That’s who matters. Not Belair Direct, not BPs, no sponsor at all. Make it right with the people that it directly affects, and possibly hurts.

The more I see it on twitter and the news, the more it saddens me of the keyboard opinions and reactionary attitude of anyone who jumps at the chance to slay someone down who says something off the cuff, not PC, etc. Ugh; 2020. **** off already.

I don’t know everyone here, but I do miss reading and bantering back and forth, amicably and with respect.

Now I’m rambling and I will stop.

Stay safe, all. Wear a mask. Hopefully we will see each other again soon.

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

I would go with Elks over Empire. At least there is a history with Elks. I would prefer Esks over Elks but the woke whites would snivel over that name.

vCash

Whatever the name change, I'll support it, although I'm sure it will take some getting used to. I cheer for them because they are from Edmonton. They're my football team.

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-08-2020 at 09:55 AM.

vCash

Comparing Canucks and Eskimos is not the same thing. One is a nickname and one is derogatory.
    Sheer and utter nonsense. A word is derogatory if you make it derogatory.

In all my years as a fan of this team I do not recall once that team name being used in a mean spirited or derogatory way.

vCash

If the team is to be born again, there is only one choice. Edmonton Evangelicals. Shout out to former Premiers Ernest Manning and Bible Bill Aberhart.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Whatever the name change, I'll support it, although I'm sure it will take some getting used to. I cheer for them because they are from Edmonton. They're my football team.
    Ditto.

vCash

Sounds like the decision will be made by months end (or maybe they've made it already and are working on the rebrand so they can launch at the same time as the announcement) As a Bruins fan who is almost always seen as the villain I don't mind the Empire name as Evil Empire has a ring to it. Embrace it folks, its happening.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Keep the colours. Why would you change those? No need to do that.

When they change the name, it will take some time to get used to but Ottawa went from Roughriders to Renegades to RedBlacks. Fans still supported them, so it can be done.

The double E things is challenging as there are not too many team names that begin with E that are good. So if you drop the double E, then possibilities open up.

Native Alberta animals should be safe. I personally like Golden Eagles. Great marketing and logo/mascot possibilities. Could potentially keep the EE logo in some form but also include the Green & Gold reference in the name.
    Edmonton Golden Eagles
    Dunno, just an idea. Don't roast me.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Sheer and utter nonsense. A word is derogatory if you make it derogatory.

In all my years as a fan of this team I do not recall once that team name being used in a mean spirited or derogatory way.
    That's because it hasn't.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post

When they change the name, it will take some time to get used to but Ottawa went from Roughriders to Renegades to RedBlacks. Fans still supported them, so it can be done.

The double E things is challenging as there are not too many team names that begin with E that are good. So if you drop the double E, then possibilities open up.

Native Alberta animals should be safe. I personally like Golden Eagles. Great marketing and logo/mascot possibilities. Could potentially keep the EE logo in some form but also include the Green & Gold reference in the name.
    Edmonton Golden Eagles
    I like that you are thinking outside of the double E thing as it might be necessary. I agree, don't change the colors. All those seats at CW would look rather silly if we did.
    Golden Eagles is an interesting name. I'm sure we couldn't just go with Eagles, but that could solve the EE thing.

vCash

A thing that bothers me is the passive aggressive bs of the sponsors, all of them want 'further engagement' on the issue to gain consensus. There is not consensus.

These guys should at least have the balls to outright call for a name change instead of ***** footing around the issue.

Also there are always ignored or unforeseen consequences of actions.

Once we change the name what incentive at all is there ever to deal with the people of the north re our football team? Say good bye to Eskimo players taking the Grey cup up there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post

Edmonton Golden Eagles
    This is why I said if we’re having to change we should really rebrand.. don’t get lazy and just go empire so we can keep the EE..

I don’t wanna lose any aspect of our brand.. but if we’re forced we should get it done properly.

We already have empire trademarked.. u know we would keep the same logo and just change eskimos to empire..

For me that’s not a team rebranding itself .. if that rebrand meant a change of colours.. I’d be as open to it as the name change..

Again just my own opinion and thoughts.. I don’t think whatever we do we’re changing colours or prob even logo..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I have no problem ending my ties to any organization like Belair Direct who wants to grandstand.
    Even though I'm okay with the change, I won't support Belair Direct as a result of this.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Even though I'm okay with the change, I won't support Belair Direct as a result of this.
    Great point!

vCash

Only issue with a re-branding exercise is that it can be extremely costly in a time where they probably don't have enough money to try it. One would hope a bunch of work was previously done in case it came to this, but if not, they may need to go with a lazy name change that minimizes re-branding.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Only issue with a re-branding exercise is that it can be extremely costly in a time where they probably don't have enough money to try it. One would hope a bunch of work was previously done in case it came to this, but if not, they may need to go with a lazy name change that minimizes re-branding.
    That's one good reasn to only change the name, not the logo or the colors.