Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    If you average it out, it's about 50%. I hate to say it, because I love the Eskimos and have a lifelong positive view of that name, but that's not good enough.

This distraction needs to stop. If even 30% found it offensive the name would have to change.

Get your Eskimos gear while you can!
    They've been running promos on discounted jerseys every Tuesday. If a name change is imminent, that would be the inventory you would want to "unload" from a business perspective. Most of their newer inventory has been focused on the logo, not the name. I suspect the purchasing manager has been instructed to keep levels low for the last couple of years. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why we haven't seen the variety in merch like some of the other teams offer.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ukie View Post
    No, it doesn’t work like this. To get average we need to know how many people are in each group.
    True, but it does stronly indicate at least a very large minority that oppose the name. In that case, let's retire it, remember it fondly and move forward in a way that doesn't cause needless offense to the people we were trying to honour.

I don't like it much either, mate. I love the "Eskimos". I've never once heard that word used as a slur. But....I'm not an "Eskimo".

vCash

From that tweet we don't know how many people oppose the name. We just know they don't support the name. There could be a category that is totally indifferent which is why Uncle Booby and others might like to actually see the questions asked and the answers.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    From that tweet we don't know how many people oppose the name. We just know they don't support the name. There could be a category that is totally indifferent which is why Uncle Booby and others might like to actually see the questions asked and the answers.
    It's like "well they didn't so no so we'll take that as a yes".

vCash

I grew up loving the name Eskimos, however if a name change is in the works, I would suggest the Edmonton Football Oilers. I’ve always liked cities that use the same moniker for their sports teams (ie: New York Giants, St. Louis Cardinals). Historically, one could say that Warren Moon played for both the Eskimos and Oilers. Hugh Campbell coached both the Eskimos and Oilers (yes, I know it was the old Houston Oilers)
    Last edited by mick.pariseau; 07-16-2020 at 06:13 AM.
    Eric Tillman, the George W. Bush of the CFL.

vCash

I can appreciate the Esks making sure to check in with the fan base and any shareholders about the name but just get it over with and announce you are changing the name. I don't see what value asking the average season ticket holder their thoughts on the name. If that season ticket holder is an inuit person, absolutely ask them because the name impacts them. But your normal non inuit season ticket hold, no offense but the name doesn't impact you so your opinion isn't as important. I am not trying to come off saying people's opinions don't matter but me as a white person, my opinion on the name doesn't have as much value as an inuit person who has to deal with it positive or negatively. That's just the reality. The numbers seem to be significant enough that it warrants the change. Going back and asking the same people the same question to see if they changed their mind, to me seems like feet dragging because it's very doubtful that enough will change to the positive. Just pull the trigger and do it.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Saw this today and it’s an elks rebrand... white numbers aside I like a lot about what he did, the wordmark is nice, font is nice.. I think the antler needs to be thicker but if nothing else it does show how we would look with our colours and another name..

No idea why there is an orange alt.. but.. not my gig..

EF4BEFB0-79E4-4499-980A-1C1AD814DBFC.jpg

192F57ED-A875-45CA-B5EF-C7C3FB27DB9B.jpg

892A0A5B-4748-49D5-8B52-2475062E510E.jpg

D084D82C-0172-4299-AB41-AD609D6941EE.jpg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Saw this today and it’s an elks rebrand... white numbers aside I like a lot about what he did, the wordmark is nice, font is nice.. I think the antler needs to be thicker but if nothing else it does show how we would look with our colours and another name..

I would keep the colors and keep the EE to soften the name change blow to who doesn't want it to happen. I know times have changed which plays into the name change but honoring tradition is still important. The Edmonton football team has been Green and Gold and EE for a very, very, very long time. I hope the don't go stupid and just completely abandon everything.

As a fan since I was basically born so pushing 43 yrs and a former season ticket holder for 25 yrs, while maybe not 100% thrilled with changing the name, I understand why it should probably happen. So I can accept a new name but if they abandon the EE and the colors, that's a different story. That wouldn't be my team anymore.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 07-16-2020 at 09:29 AM.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I can appreciate the Esks making sure to check in with the fan base and any shareholders about the name but just get it over with and announce you are changing the name. I don't see what value asking the average season ticket holder their thoughts on the name. If that season ticket holder is an inuit person, absolutely ask them because the name impacts them. But your normal non inuit season ticket hold, no offense but the name doesn't impact you so your opinion isn't as important. I am not trying to come off saying people's opinions don't matter but me as a white person, my opinion on the name doesn't have as much value as an inuit person who has to deal with it positive or negatively. That's just the reality. The numbers seem to be significant enough that it warrants the change. Going back and asking the same people the same question to see if they changed their mind, to me seems like feet dragging because it's very doubtful that enough will change to the positive. Just pull the trigger and do it.
    I think I'm coming to the same conclusion. The team would be best served to stop fighting this losing battle and just proceed with putting all their energies into coming up with a name which is going to be a harder job than it might seem. The highest priorities for this task as I see them are as follows:

#1) Come up with a name that cannot be construed as politically incorrect. This is by far JOB 1. We do not want to go through this process ever again. I know that some have posted here that if you thought of it every team's name can be thought of as politically incorrect but I think team names like Stampeders and Blue Bombers are probably safe as the PETA crowd or the anti Uni Bomber crowd will never have that much influence in the media at least not in the foreseeable future.

#2) Come up with a name that will allow us to keep the same team logo. Fortunately our current logo does not include a stylized image of an Eskimo and we can retain the double EE which I think is important and should not be messed with and changed into an EF or any other similar suggested change. This (along with our team colors) will allow us to maintain a tie to the past which I feel is very important. This does limit us to choosing a team name that starts with the letter E so that will be a challenge but I think it is important that we do this.

#3). Come up with a name that would allow us to keep using the famous BONE motto and allow us to modify the fight song. Number 3 IMO would be a nice to have. Don't get me wrong It pains me to think that we would have to give these up but if the best name we could come up with which also helps us from a marketing perspective to the younger crowd would be something like the Edmonton Express then so be it and we will just have to come up with a new motto and fight song and win a few championships so that those can also become part of the team lore.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be ok with the antlers as part of a third jersey but I would really want to hold onto the EE logo. I do agree with others who have posted that Elks are not necessarily animals that inspire fear like Lions or Tiger Cats but Montreal have established a fine tradition with Alouettes which likewise do not strike fear in the hearts of men.
    Last edited by adb; 07-16-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I'm coming around to the idea of Edmonton Energy. Again, keeps the EE, and plays off of a major industry in the province (while at the same time being prepared for an eventual transition to alternate sources ). Lots you can do with marketing, and potentially has some natural ties with sponsors. Down side is chants might be a little more awkward, as does nicknames for individuals (i.e "Once an Energy, always an Energy" no longer makes sense...maybe "Once Energetic, always Energetic"? ). But I'll cheer for the team no matter what the moniker.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I would keep the colors and keep the EE to soften the name change blow to who doesn't want it to happen. I know times have changed which plays into the name change but honoring tradition is still important. The Edmonton football team has been Green and Gold and EE for a very, very, very long time. I hope the don't go stupid and just completely abandon everything.

As a fan since I was basically born so pushing 43 yrs and a former season ticket holder for 25 yrs, while maybe not 100% thrilled with changing the name, I understand why it should probably happen. So I can accept a new name but if they abandon the EE and the colors, that's a different story. That wouldn't be my team anymore.
    I agree, I think the team at least still needs to look like "the Eskimos" for a few years to keep the long time fans. They can probably get away with some tweaks or possibly major overhauls once the new name becomes entrenched and develops its own traditions, but they need to tread lightly for the first 2-5 years.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I think I'm coming to the same conclusion. The team would be best served to stop fighting this losing battle and just proceed with putting all their energies into coming up with a name which is going to be a harder job than it might seem. The highest priorities for this task as I see them are as follows:

#1) Come up with a name that cannot be construed as politically incorrect. This is by far JOB 1. We do not want to go through this process ever again. I know that some have posted here that if you thought of it every team's name can be thought of as politically incorrect but I think team names like Stampeders and Blue Bombers are probably safe as the PETA crowd or the anti Uni Bomber crowd will never have that much influence in the media at least not in the foreseeable future.

#2) Come up with a name that will allow us to keep the same team logo. Fortunately our current logo does not include a stylized image of an Eskimo and we can retain the double EE which I think is important and should not be messed with and changed into an EF or any other similar suggested change. This (along with our team colors) will allow us to maintain a tie to the past which I feel is very important. This does limit us to choosing a team name that starts with the letter E so that will be a challenge but I think it is important that we do this.

#3). Come up with a name that would allow us to keep using the famous BONE motto and allow us to modify the fight song. Number 3 IMO would be a nice to have. Don't get me wrong It pains me to think that we would have to give these up but if the best name we could come up with which also helps us from a marketing perspective to the younger crowd would be something like the Edmonton Express then so be it and we will just have to come up with a new motto and fight song and win a few championships so that those can also become part of the team lore.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be ok with the antlers as part of a third jersey but I would really want to hold onto the EE logo. I do agree with others who have posted that Elks are not necessarily animals that inspire fear like Lions or Tiger Cats but Montreal have established a fine tradition with Alouettes which likewise do not strike fear in the hearts of men.
    If it was just a tiny group of people who were against it and the numbers showed that the huge majority were in favor of keeping the name then sure go back and talk to those people. Maybe you just caught them on a bad day and they decided to go off. But that isn't the case. Just get it over with and quit delaying the inevitable so you can move on to a new name.

vCash

Btw sorry I do not know how to get the images to show without clicking the link.. I used to use tinypic but apparently that no longer exsists..

If the mods wanna mess with it so I shows the images.. I’m all for it..

I know I’m never happy about clicking in post links

vCash

I'm warming to the Elks name. Seems to make the most sense. But please for the love of all that is holy, do not put antlers on our helmets. Keep them the same as they are. The Double E logo is iconic.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    I'm warming to the Elks name. Seems to make the most sense. But please for the love of all that is holy, do not put antlers on our helmets. Keep them the same as they are. The Double E logo is iconic.
    Foam antlers would be fun to wear in the stands at games
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Awesome. See, marketing ideas starting already.

Just get it over with and make it happen Edmonton Elks Football Club !!

- - - Updated - - -

Fight song with revisions (can apply to any team name)

We’re cheering fight, fight, fight on Edmonton
    We’re marching right, right, right on Edmonton
    We’re charging down the field for all to see
    And shouting rah, rah, rah, fight on to victory
    We’re fighting on ‘til every game is won
    The green and gold is bold and when we’re done
    We’ll tell the world we’re proud of Edmonton
    And the Edmonton Green and Gold.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Awesome. See, marketing ideas starting already.

Just get it over with and make it happen Edmonton Elks Football Club !!

- - - Updated - - -

Fight song with revisions (can apply to any team name)

The green and gold is bold and when we’re done
    Not bad, the Green and Gold could be used regardless of the name, and it is already referenced once in the song. If the want to get the Elks name in there it could be the "And the Edmonton Elks. Let's go!!" though I though I like yours better.

vCash

And now we know why they didn't release the numbers earlier.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Not bad, the Green and Gold could be used regardless of the name, and it is already referenced once in the song. If the want to get the Elks name in there it could be the "And the Edmonton Elks. Let's go!!" though I though I like yours better.
    Or this for Elks:

The Elks are bold and when we’re done
    ----------------------

vCash

Better than "Elks". Oooh...Elks...that'll scare those other teams.
    I'm not fond of the name either. Mostly because of the deep purple blazers the name conjures.

But a rutting elk can be quite dangerous. They'd stomp and flatten a mountain lion or cowboy or mounted police or horse no problem.

I can live with a name change. I am actually more attached to the colour scheme. I know I am heavily biased but I think the green and gold colors are the best in the CFL. Iconic. Change that and you change the identity of the team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Anyone remember EskiMoose?
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    I'm not fond of the name either. Mostly because of the deep purple blazers the name conjures.

But a rutting elk can be quite dangerous. They'd stomp and flatten a mountain lion or cowboy or mounted police or horse no problem.

I can live with a name change. I am actually more attached to the colour scheme. I know I am heavily biased but I think the green and gold colors are the best in the CFL. Iconic. Change that and you change the identity of the team.
    I'm with you. A new name I can deal with. Mess with the Green and Gold and I'd have a big time problem with that.

vCash

Not for the person sitting behind you. LOL!

vCash

The people behind me curse and drink too much, so not worried about them...lol...
    ----------------------

vCash

Sitting directly behind or beside someone won't be allowed for a couple years if they open back up.

- - - Updated - - -

The people behind me curse and drink too much, so not worried about them...lol...
    Strange. I've always sat behind the rail, so not sure how I'm behind you.

vCash

No matter what name Edmonton uses the next time they take the field, there will be a large, vocal group who do not like it at all. Whether that's sticking with Eskimos, Moving to something that abbreviates as "Esks" (Escalades was suggested earlier), Elks, Empire, Energy, Elephants, Eagles or Elderberries. Honestly, the club is now in a no-win scenario likely. Check out any time they tweet ANYTHING -- they are jumped on mercilessly. Hell, we announced that we were changing our Podcast name (something we had started planning just over a year ago now) and we are getting people responding to our posts how we are sad, cowards, or "unbelievable". There is literally no winning with people.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Anyone remember EskiMoose?
    Actually I do like the name "Eskimoose". The Edmonton Eskimoose 2022 Grey Cup Champions!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    No matter what name Edmonton uses the next time they take the field, there will be a large, vocal group who do not like it at all. Whether that's sticking with Eskimos, Moving to something that abbreviates as "Esks" (Escalades was suggested earlier), Elks, Empire, Energy, Elephants, Eagles or Elderberries. Honestly, the club is now in a no-win scenario likely. Check out any time they tweet ANYTHING -- they are jumped on mercilessly. Hell, we announced that we were changing our Podcast name (something we had started planning just over a year ago now) and we are getting people responding to our posts how we are sad, cowards, or "unbelievable". There is literally no winning with people.
    Yes they are in a no win situation. They will be bowing down to self-righteous moralizing demons who probably will never spend a cent on the football team.

The team should not use twitter.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

They will be bowing down to self-righteous moralizing demons who probably will never spend a cent on the football team.

100% correct
    I will not, for a moment longer, support an organization who chooses to cowardly kneel where they once fiercely & proudly stood

vCash

Belair Direct and Boston Pizza seem to spend quite a bit of money on the football team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

With attachments for a beer can on either side along with the antlers.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner