Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos changing team name

I love how they consulted with fans before ruling out the most popular name for no good god damned reason. Cowards!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Especially after seeing that ABBA will be releasing 5 new songs, if it was up to me, I'd go with: The Edmonton Ernies.
    This Ernie approves.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I love how they consulted with fans before ruling out the most popular name for no good god damned reason. Cowards!
    This after actively using it in their promotions for years.

As I said in another post, I'd say there is about a n 85% chance I will just hate the new name.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This after actively using it in their promotions for years.

As I said in another post, I'd say there is about a n 85% chance I will just hate the new name.
    I'm actually more pissed off about "Empire" than about "Eskimos". I can see that some folks find "Eskimos" an inappropriate name. But there is not a damned thing wrong with "Empire". This is sheer cowardice.

vCash

I couldn't agree more.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm actually more pissed off about "Empire" than about "Eskimos". I can see that some folks find "Eskimos" an inappropriate name. But there is not a damned thing wrong with "Empire". This is sheer cowardice.
    I don't understand this at all. I mean why would someone be offended by the term Empire? Its a generic term not aimed at any specific group. I guess this means that the Empire State Building in New York will be changing its name?
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I don't understand this at all. I mean why would someone be offended by the term Empire? Its a generic term not aimed at any specific group. I guess this means that the Empire State Building in New York will be changing its name?
    ..and it will. Unless the moderates in our society stop being wimps. Empire is: "an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly especially an emperor or empress". No mention of slavery. No mention of coercion.

vCash

There are issues with "Empire" as a name....colonialism, conquering other nations and people. The fact that it's just a dumb name and forever would tie the EEFC to a star wars theme is also an issue with "Empire".

- - - Updated - - -

@56Parkies had a great idea on Twitter which I think could be the best option I've heard. I will let him explain it though.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Was it "Eskimoose"?

vCash

Not sure if it was Uncle Bobby or Nanni... who suggested Eskers but my wife is in favour of that.

vCash

An esker is a ridge formed by glacial runoff. So, origin story: Born from glaciers as things heat up. They do exist around Edmonton. They are also even more prevalent in the territories if you want to make that connection.

Naming the team after a ridge of gravel is silly. But is Avalanche or Rockies any less silly? The big driver for me is that tie in to the team history. Could still use the shortened version Esks. I have probably used the term Esks to refer to the team way more than I ever used Eskimos ie. Going to an Esks game; Nice Esks jersey; Are the Esks on TV tonight? Go Esks Go!

I know it is a stretch. But Edmonton Eskers just sounds the least foreign to me.

Didn't really like Empire. It will probably be Energy.

vCash

At this point I’m sure the name will be the Edmonton Edmontons or the Edmonton E’s or something equally ridiculous. Honestly I don’t even care anymore.

vCash

I mean, honestly, who loves anything but what it was?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    An esker is a ridge formed by glacial runoff. So, origin story: Born from glaciers as things heat up. They do exist around Edmonton. They are also even more prevalent in the territories if you want to make that connection.

Naming the team after a ridge of gravel is silly. But is Avalanche or Rockies any less silly? The big driver for me is that tie in to the team history. Could still use the shortened version Esks. I have probably used the term Esks to refer to the team way more than I ever used Eskimos ie. Going to an Esks game; Nice Esks jersey; Are the Esks on TV tonight? Go Esks Go!

I know it is a stretch. But Edmonton Eskers just sounds the least foreign to me.

I'd rather not Energy. Energy was already used for the last pro hoops team that we had before the Stingers and their demise wasn't fun.
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

vCash

I mean, honestly, who loves anything but what it was?
    This .....x1 billion

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Here's the thing. The decision SHOULD have been about the Inuit people, and based on the surveying they did, they should have already changed it. This isn't a 50%+1 issue. Over 20% of Western Inuit and nearly 70% of Eastern Inuit ARE significant numbers, and this organization has had those numbers for some time now. They deliberately didn't release them because they knew if they did release them, any argument they had to keep the name would be gone.

They never had any intent to offend anyone with the name. But the intent doesn't matter. If a significant portion of the group is offended by the name, (and again it doesn't have to be 50% to be significant, even if it was 20% across the board, that would be significant) then they had to change it. I'm disappointed that the organization did the consultation and didn't change it when they found out the numbers, and that it took sponsors pulling out before they did anything with those numbers.

Don't blame the team for changing the name. Don't blame the sponsors for changing the name. Don't blame "social justice warriors" for changing the name. Don't blame the Inuit for changing the name. It was the right thing to do. Assuming the league doesn't fold from COVID, 20 years from now and hopefully a lot of Grey Cup wins later, no one is going to care what they used to be called.

I've been an Edmonton Eskimo fan since I was a small boy. And I'll be an Edmonton "whatever" fan until I grow old. The name of the team never made me a fan, and changing the name won't affect me cheering for them. As long as they don't rename themselves the "Edmonton EricTillmans".

- - - Updated - - -

Unless it's a Grey Cup match between Calgary and Saskatchewan. Then I hope the stadium implodes.
    Here is a question I would like answered but I doubt it ever will. The HUGE majority of Western Inuit embraced the name. I would bet that because the Eskimos made trips up to the western north, did events, gave them things, SPENT MONEY up in the western north, that played a HUGE part in the overwhelming majority of the western Inuit having no problem with the name. I am going to guess that the Esks did not go to the east Inuit communities. WHY? Because of location and cost. It's hard enough to get up there in the west, even harder to fly across the country to go to the east.

So my question would be, are the people in the east offended because the name is truly offensive or offended because they didn't get stuff and money? I am not trying to be a jerk because if the name hurt people and was truly offensive, then it should be changed. However, I do find the massive disparity in the numbers quite surprising because if something is offensive and hurtful, you'd think it wouldn't matter what the team did or how much money they spent with one community compared to another. Yet it doesn't seem to be that way IMO. I also wonder, if the Esks didn't even engage those eastern communities, would they have even cared?

Like I said, if it truly was offensive, then change it but I am just having a hard time believing that money didn't play a big role. If the Esks had of flew across the country and visited those eastern community and gave them things and money, would all of a sudden the eastern numbers be closer to the west? I don't know that answer but my gut says they would have.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I could get behind that. The Edmonton Eskers could work. I know the team are taking suggestions already via email. I hope someone puts this one forward and includes the background regarding the term.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I could get behind that. The Edmonton Eskers could work. I know the team are taking suggestions already via email. I hope someone puts this one forward and includes the background regarding the term.
    The team has been tagged many times on the Esker name. Some people say that people will have to explain what an Esker is, but I'm sure many people don't know what a "Sounder" was or even a "Met" or a "Knick", and it works just fine for the team after they abbreviated the name. Had the Eskimos abbreviated to just going to "Esks" in the 70s, much like the Metropolitans and Knickerbockers, I don't think we would be having this discussion now.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

It would be cool if there was one Inuit / Indigenous player in the CFL. Imagine the fan support they would bring.

vCash
    Blog Entries

The team has been tagged many times on the Esker name. Some people say that people will have to explain what an Esker is, but I'm sure many people don't know what a "Sounder" was or even a "Met" or a "Knick", and it works just fine for the team after they abbreviated the name. Had the Eskimos abbreviated to just going to "Esks" in the 70s, much like the Metropolitans and Knickerbockers, I don't think we would be having this discussion now.
    The more I think about it the more I like it and the term fits in with our northern identity. Are there any graphical representations of an esker similar to logos used for an Avalanche or the Rockies by other teams? I am not asking because I want to change the EE logo which is iconic and do not want it to be messed with in any way but if there is a graphical representation of an esker that could be used then we could incorporate it elsewhere say on a mascot or in advertising just so that we are able to clearly delineate that eskers are not related to the the term Eskimo in any way, shape, or form. It definitely would need to be explained as spell check does not even recognize the term but who cares.
    Last edited by adb; 07-23-2020 at 08:39 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    @56Parkies had a great idea on Twitter which I think could be the best option I've heard. I will let him explain it though.
    The name I had suggested was Escadrille or Eskadra - a military term for a small squadron, usually for the air force. I think it would give a better visual than an Esker, but still can be abbreviated as Esks.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

The name I had suggested was Escadrille or Eskadra - a military term for a small squadron, usually for the air force. I think it would give a better visual than an Esker, but still can be abbreviated as Esks.
    The fact that the club is not considering Empire as a nickname makes me think that they would likewise steer clear of any military term just to be on the safe side to not offend anyone. I don't agree with it but that's the vibe I am getting. I mean the Washington NBA team changed their name from Bullets to Wizards because of the violent overtones associated with the word bullet so you never know when a term might become politically incorrect. Esker or Eagle are much safer terms to use and of the two I am really starting to like the term Esker.

vCash

I suspect that the new moniker will not even be close in spelling to allow for an "Esks" abbreviation. That would allow for an "interpretation" that the team only chose the new name to provide a continued use of the old name (or an abbreviation there of). That interpretation would be correct. We wouldn't even be considering a name like Eskada if it didn't allow us the comfort of continuing tradition.

Not trying to start a war here - just saying what the team's legal and financial people are probably saying.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Explorers seems like a generic name.. we can’t hurt many folx with that moniker...

vCash

The Edmonton Express. I assume you can't offend anyone with that name.

What a world we live in now. No longer are teams picking a name based on what sounds good, what's catchy, what can be marketed easily. The big concern is "can someone interpret this name in the wrong way and is there any way someone can be offended."
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I suspect that the new moniker will not even be close in spelling to allow for an "Esks" abbreviation. That would allow for an "interpretation" that the team only chose the new name to provide a continued use of the old name (or an abbreviation there of). That interpretation would be correct. We wouldn't even be considering a name like Eskada if it didn't allow us the comfort of continuing tradition.

Not trying to start a war here - just saying what the team's legal and financial people are probably saying.
    Yes the term esker is a similar sounding word to the term eskimo but it has a completely different meaning so I cant see why it couldn't be legitimately used including from a legal or financial perspective.
    Last edited by adb; 07-23-2020 at 09:40 AM.

vCash

Yes the term esker is similar sounding word to the term eskimo but it has a completely different meaning so I cant see why it couldn't be legitimately used including from a legal or financial perspective.
    Doesn’t roll very well off the tongue though. Edmonton Esker

Like the theory but the execution sucks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The Edmonton Express. I assume you can't offend anyone with that name.

What a world we live in now. No longer are teams picking a name based on what sounds good, what's catchy, what can be marketed easily. The big concern is "can someone interpret this name in the wrong way and is there any way someone can be offended."
    Express is prob top 3 right now ain’t it.. there isn’t THAT many type of words out there begining with E

Empire, express, elks, explorers , engineers might be the best 5 and they have ruled out empire iirc..

Bit of a mess.. I don’t want to but u feel we would be getting a better option or 2 if it didn’t have to be EE

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Doesn’t roll very well off the tongue though. Edmonton Esker

Like the theory but the execution sucks
    Same as Eagles. Its a two syllable word. I guess it would roll off the tongue better if we had a 3 syllable word that starts with an E so it would be the same as Eskimos such as the names suggested by 56Parkies but I guess we'll agree to disagree on that.

vCash

I expect this all may be moot.

As soon as the Feds confirm that there will be no funding for the league, which I am told will happen soon, we will be calling the team Edmonton Extinct.

vCash

Yes the term esker is a similar sounding word to the term eskimo but it has a completely different meaning so I cant see why it couldn't be legitimately used including from a legal or financial perspective.
    As I said, it's very easy for people to say that the only reason that name is even being considered is to allow the fans to use an abbreviation of a deemed racist term. And let's be honest, we wouldn't even be considering that name if there wasn't that spelling similarity. Right or wrong, it is what it is and those that were opposed to the original name will consider it a slap in the face. Again, not trying to butt heads, just trying to say don't get your hopes up, because if the football team is smart (from a legal standpoint), it won't happen.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...