Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos changing team name

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Leave it to our most esteemed journalist to push a name that tastes delicious when drenched in melted butter and garlic.

https://www.sprucegroveexaminer.com/...8-58a9fe4427c4

vCash

Isn't everything delicious when drenched in butter and garlic?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Isn't everything delicious when drenched in butter and garlic?
    Fair enough. Butter Garlic Eagle probably tastes good.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Fair enough. Butter Garlic Eagle probably tastes good.
    Same for Eels and Elks!
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

That's my favourite of the ones I've heard so far.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    That's my favourite of the ones I've heard so far.
    Mine as well.

vCash

I'm still on the Express wagon but don't hate the Golden Eagles name either.

vCash

The Golden Eagles are a name that I could get behind. Most...if not all the other names that have been suggested that I have heard are not worthy.

I just glad that the EE logo and the colors to this point are staying...

vCash

How I see it is the logo has to change if we go with golden eagles... itís not EE anymore.. that aside u would kinda figure with the word Eagle as your name would warrent a eagle logo..

Sticking with the current oval logo and being named the Edmonton golden eagles is gonna look very awkward ..

The same would be for elk or whatever else.. ur gonna need to see the animal somewhere

I donít have the answers
    Eskimo was tough image for pull off originally and I just loved the canoe style double EE.. way more than I like our current approach
    But with the changing times the EE enabled us to weather potential naming storms because our logo was inoffensive

But now with a new narrative.. itís not gonna fit..

I wanna keep the colours more than the logo.. I just donít see how EE represents any of the potential rebrands.. weíre gonna look stupid. And I hate that..

vCash

I can't see me cheering "Let's go Golden Eagles" I would be using Eagles. also wonder if they'll avoid it to stay away from a conflict with the NFL team.
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I can't see me cheering "Let's go Golden Eagles" I would be using Eagles. also wonder if they'll avoid it to stay away from a conflict with the NFL team.
    Hasn't been a ton of conflict between BC and Detroit over the "Lions" moniker, but yes - I think for a new brand, you'd want something that's more unique to your team.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Hasn't been a ton of conflict between BC and Detroit over the "Lions" moniker, but yes - I think for a new brand, you'd want something that's more unique to your team.
    I see wanting to create your own unique name that's never been done, but that really doesn't exist anymore because of the 10s of thousands of sports team names that have existed through the world unless it's just stupid like Escargots. Even the Golden Eagles has several example in the US.

Names like Wild, Energy, Express, etc. all came from a desire to create something new when that trend started 20-30 years ago, but most of those types of names haven't shown to really inspire a team identity.

What's unfortunate is that the letter E basically doesn't exist in Inuk or else they could have come up with something unique that used their language to link the new to the old. Like imagine if their word for Huskie started with E, that would have been an awesome solution, but unfortunately that's not the case.
    Last edited by bone; 12-04-2020 at 09:57 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    For years, Oakland had an NHL team called the California Golden Seals. Fans and announcers usually used Seals when talking about the team. There was an arena football team called the Salt Lake Screaming Eagles. Again, Eagles was the go-to name. Very similar to how we used Esks and Saskatchewan (and years ago Ottawa) used Riders, or fans in Hamilton yell "go Cats go".

vCash
    Blog Entries

I really don't see a problem with keeping the logo and colors exactly as is and going with Golden Eagles or Eagles. It's like the Roughriders when they call themselves the Riders. It's just a shortened version of the name like Esks was. I cant see us ever shortening Eagles to Eags. There doesn't need to be a "G" in the logo to fit the team moniker. In fact were lucky in another way since we identify our team colors as Green and Gold which we can always say is a tip of the hat to the "Golden" reference in our team name. There are no hard and fast rules here we can do anything we want as long as we don't offend anyone or infringe on copyright. If some Stamps or Riders fan tells me our team name sucks because it doesn't match the logo I'll tell him to go jump off his horse or tractor. I like Edmonton Golden Eagles or Elks from the list. It would also kinda of be cool that our pro football team would be the Golden Eagles while the top level amateur football team in the city are the Golden Bears. My first pick was Empire but the Esks brass has vetoed that because its politically incorrect so what are you going to do. I think they are being too careful but I guess better safe than sorry. In the end I'm just happy that they are keeping the colors and the logo.
    Last edited by adb; 12-04-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

For years, Oakland had an NHL team called the California Golden Seals. Fans and announcers usually used Seals when talking about the team. There was an arena football team called the Salt Lake Screaming Eagles. Again, Eagles was the go-to name. Very similar to how we used Esks and Saskatchewan (and years ago Ottawa) used Riders, or fans in Hamilton yell "go Cats go".
    The name Seals had a long hockey history in the Bay Area. The old WHL team in the early 60s was the San Francisco Seals. The original NHL entry was simply the California Seals. Then part way through their inaugural season they became the Oakland Seals. 3 years later they finally became the California Golden Seals before merging with the Minnesota North Stars a few years later. It was Charles O. Finley who injected the Golden into the name.....along with white skates.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 12-05-2020 at 08:57 PM.

vCash

I'll probably be in the minority.. but since the name is gonzo... I would have no issues if the logo was too. The Eskimos are dead.. may as well blow it all up. Then we wouldn't have to worry about the stupid names that people are coming up with.... Elk, Express etc...

I just hope with whatever we are.. .we have a black jersey with green and gold accents... much like the Grey cup 1997 jerseys.. I always liked those and wished we had a black jersey yo unleash on Calgary on the labor day rematch....

vCash

A little birdie told me Golden Eagles is the front-runner currently. This person is pretty tuned in with what the club does...so we shall see!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    A little birdie told me Golden Eagles is the front-runner currently. This person is pretty tuned in with what the club does...so we shall see!
    Ugh, reminds me of my youth hockey teams where they would name the team with the color first. I coached the Blue Hawks and the Green Ninjas LOL
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

vCash

I like it. Much like many call the Golden Bears "the Bears", I'm sure many of us will call them "the Eagles" if this is the name we go with.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Seems like I'm the only one out there that thinks anything Eagles is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Blech....
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    The name Seals had a long hockey history in the Bay Area. The old WHL team in the early 60s was the San Francisco Seals. The original NHL entry was simply the California Seals. Then part way through their inaugural season they became the Oakland Seals. 3 years later they finally became the California Golden Seals before merging with the Minnesota North Stars a few years later. It was Charles O. Finley who injected the Golden into the name.....along with white skates.
    Carol Vadnais

vCash

I don't think there's a name anywhere in the entire dictionary that will be met with anywhere near universal acclaim. It seems that team names are invested with a lot of meaning for people, and no matter what is chosen, most people won't like it.

I only hope that we can all get used to whatever's coming down the pipeline, in any case.

vCash

Edmonton Golden Eagles. Don't love it. But I can accept it.

I suppose I appreciate the tie in to our colours and the Golden Bears.

Let's move on.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I don't think there's a name anywhere in the entire dictionary that will be met with anywhere near universal acclaim. It seems that team names are invested with a lot of meaning for people, and no matter what is chosen, most people won't like it.

I only hope that we can all get used to whatever's coming down the pipeline, in any case.
    Sometimes it just takes time for things to grow on folks. The REDBLACKS name sounded hokey as all get out at first. Now I can't imagine them by another name.

vCash

Sometimes it just takes time for things to grow on folks. The REDBLACKS name sounded hokey as all get out at first. Now I can't imagine them by another name.
    Never grew on me...especially the all caps but, point well taken!

vCash

U better be lying my guy... smh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Seems like I'm the only one out there that thinks anything Eagles is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Blech....
    I’m with you dude.. this sucks sweaty donkey balls

vCash

Well I still think REDBLACKS sucks sweaty donkey balls. That's why Ottawa is DFL on my list of favourite CFL teams behind even the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the Calgary Stampeders.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

That's unfortunate.

vCash

Winnipeg BLUE Bombers
    Detroit RED Wings
    Columbus BLUE Jackets
    Vegas GOLDEN Knights
    Boston RED Sox
    Chicago WHITE Sox
    Duke BLUE Devils

So many examples out there. Golden Eagles isn't that unique or that bad. Give it time. Better than a lot of other team names out there.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden