Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    The EEFC said Empire was not an option right from the start.
    Thank you Disney...
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Wow. Those are the BEST 7? I call BS. WTF is an Elkhound? Element? good lord.

Said from the start that it was going to be Elk or Eagles (Golden Eagles). Those really are the only viable choices from this list.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Wow. Those are the BEST 7? I call BS. WTF is an Elkhound? Element? good lord.

Said from the start that it was going to be Elk or Eagles (Golden Eagles). Those really are the only viable choices from this list.
    Maybe they were 7 that didn’t make it and the real 7 wil be announced later?

No?

****ing terrible guys.. terrible and we’re gonna be called one of these 7 forever after this ? Fml

vCash

Re: Eskimos changing team name

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    TW and Kidlet both like Elkhounds... So they voted for those. (So did I actually, after listening to the "TouchDOWN ElkHOUNDS"...I like how it sounds.) Elk was the best of them but it didn't roll off the tongue for me.
    "Elk" just stops dead when Morley was calling the "game". At least "Elks" with an "s" allows it to flow better. Plus, Esks to Elks is an easier transition, IMO.

This feels like the team has picked the name and is trying their damnedest to make it the one with the most votes so they can say "the people have spoken".
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I kind of like Eclipse. Edmonton Eclipse.

I saw the total solar eclipse in Idaho in 2017. It was really awesome.

I was ok with Golden Eagles. Just Eagles, not so much.
    Last edited by Uncle Bobby; 02-08-2021 at 10:02 AM.

vCash

WTF is an Elkhound?

They are a hunting dog.

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 02-08-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash
    Blog Entries

Eagles, Elks, maybe even Elkhounds. As far as Evergreens, Eclipse, Evergolds, and Elements are concerned...I mean are they serious? Those are really ridiculous IMO. I know somebody on here liked Evergreens but to name our club after a tree? Would that be a first? Any other clubs out there named after a plant? None that I can think of anyways. I don't really like the name Express but I would pick it in a heart beat over 4 of the names proposed. And I would have personally voted for Empire but apparently its politically incorrect somehow unlike I don't know a name like the Buccaneers. These final 7 selections make about as much sense to me as them putting in rider green seats at CW stadium as part of the color scheme. Sometimes I really don't know what they are thinking over there at the Igloo or should I say tree house.
    Last edited by adb; 02-08-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Are they being freaking serious with those names? I never for a second expected to fall in love with any of the names because I am so used to the Eskimos but those are the top 7!! I don't want my football team named after a freaking tree. Evergolds is stupid. Eclipse and the Elements don't inspire anything. I can't believe they would even allow the Eagles. There is a famous football team in the US, why the hell would you want to name yourself the same name. Plus I have to think the Philly Eagles will raise a stink.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 02-08-2021 at 01:08 PM.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Are they being freaking serious with those names? I never for a second expected to fall in love with any of the names because I am so used to the Eskimos but those are the top 7!! I don't want my football team named after a freaking tree. Evergolds is stupid. Eclipse and the Elements do inspire anything. I can't believe they would even allow the Eagles. There is a famous football team in the US, why the hell would you want to name yourself the same name. Plus I have to think the Philly Eagles will raise a stink.
    I could see the marketing angle for Elk, Eagles, and Evergreens. You could at least make the case that evergreens are strong and mighty in all seasons. The others just don't cut it for me at all. I suspect you're right on Eagles, leaving Elk really the only viable option. I still think they could have done as much or more with Express as any of the others.

vCash

Are they being freaking serious with those names? I never for a second expected to fall in love with any of the names because I am so used to the Eskimos but those are the top 7!! I don't want my football team named after a freaking tree. Evergolds is stupid. Eclipse and the Elements do inspire anything. I can't believe they would even allow the Eagles. There is a famous football team in the US, why the hell would you want to name yourself the same name. Plus I have to think the Philly Eagles will raise a stink.

DAMN that Brock eh ?

and I doubt the Philly Eagles would give 2 ****s about it.

vCash

If you fill out the survey, listen to Morley Scott use each name in a "call" of a play.

"Elk" just stops dead during the call; it was really jarring. At least make it "Elks" if you're going to use the name, so it sounds better when we use it. There's a reason every other team has an "s" at the end of the team name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    DAMN that Brock eh ?

The NFL blocked the Baltimore CFL franchise from using Colts, even though there wasn't a team there that used it, having moved to Indy years earlier. Anything is possible when the juggernaut that is the NFL wants to "protect their brand", regardless what the Philadelphia team wants or cares about.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    If you fill out the survey, listen to Morley Scott use each name in a "call" of a play.

"Elk" just stops dead during the call; it was really jarring. At least make it "Elks" if you're going to use the name, so it sounds better when we use it. There's a reason every other team has an "s" at the end of the team name.

- - - Updated - - -

The NFL blocked the Baltimore CFL franchise from using Colts, even though there wasn't a team there that used it, having moved to Indy years earlier. Anything is possible when the juggernaut that is the NFL wants to "protect their brand", regardless what the Philadelphia team wants or cares about.

Ohhh I forgot about that..... ...

vCash

True...but that was in a US city where the NFL had designs to re-enter the market. Anything could happen, I suppose, but I think it'd be less likely here.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    True...but that was in a US city where the NFL had designs to re-enter the market. Anything could happen, I suppose, but I think it'd be less likely here.
    That is true, but the NFL still could quash it. We have both leagues having a "Lions" franchise, but one formed in 1954, so it's a bit late to tell them to change it -- though nothing would surprise me these days haha.
    Damn Philly. We had the Flyers name first for hockey, but we let 'em have it!

If they go with Eagles, I could see them migrating it to Golden Eagles down the road, which are native to the area.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

I’m genuinely afraid I’m not gonna be able to get my head around this new name... none of the 7 are decent and no matter what they pick I just can’t see is calling ourselves THAT..

Oh man..

vCash

Bold, italic, underline and emphasize this everywhere. "Elks" beats "Elk" eight ways to Sunday.

I actually really think "Elkhounds" would have some good potential, IF most people knew instinctively what they were. If elkhounds had the widespread familiarity of greyhounds I think they might be the leader, for flow and imagery and branding etc....but unfortunately not.

I wonder if "Elkimos" was ever submitted...thinking of the poor cheer team who will have every single routine thrown out the window by a three-letter name.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

I cannot see them using Elkhounds as the full name for that breed of dog is the Norwegian Elkhound, not the Canadian Elkhound
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I cannot see them using Elkhounds as the full name for that breed of dog is the Norwegian Elkhound, not the Canadian Elkhound
    For sure...we wouldn't be able to meet the roster requirement for Nationals!
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

All awful.

Major blunder to 'REBRAND"! But you have to keep E as the 2nd letter.

Also we had better ask some botanists if we can use evergreens.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    For sure...we wouldn't be able to meet the roster requirement for Nationals!
    Hey, my dad was Norwegian - does this mean I'd get a crack as the oldest rookie in league history? Granted I may need a bit of time to get in game shape... 3 years oughta do it.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

DAMN that Brock eh ?

I doubt Brock was involved. If he was, the names would involve Red or Blacks in them because he doesn't know how to look anywhere other than his former team.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

My thoughts:

Elk - We've talked about it awhile, I don't love it, but it at least has some links to the team history
    Evergreens/Evergolds - A tree or a made up name. Don't like these. The only benefit is Evergolds flows off the tongue similarly to Eskimos in the fight song.
    Elkhounds - at first, I hated it, but it's growing on me a bit as it's at least unique and in time could see it being similar to Huskies or even the Eskimos if we were to claim the name was in reference to the dog. And the Elk part ties into the Elk history, but it sounds better than just "Elk"
    Eagles - I don't love it, but have already kind of prepared myself for it.
    Element - Are you ****ing kidding me. It's like when M. Night Shyamalan released that stupid movie where the antagonist was the wind. Stupid.
    Eclipse - Might be appropriate as some of the recent moves of this organization suggest the sun may never shine on this franchise again.

I'm going to take a couple days before voting to see how it settles in, but right now it's leaning towards Eagles but I want to let Elkhound simmer for a bit.

vCash

They should have released the potential branding that will go along with the name change.. would make this so much easier..

vCash

I doubt Brock was involved. If he was, the names would involve Red or Blacks in them because he doesn't know how to look anywhere other than his former team.
    Before I post this and you label my "Brocks boy" I will again state that this year (should we play) will be the year that I start judging Brock as this is 100% his team now. So just for fun, the following players are the only ones that have played for Ottawa:

Trevor Harris
    Greg Ellingson
    Tommie Draheim
    Kevin Elliot
    Forest Hightower
    Colin Kelly
    Shawn Lemon
    Eric Lofton
    Mike Moore
    SirV
    Jonathan Rose
    Josh Stangby

That's of 12 of 113 (11%) players on our roster right now and some of those played very limited games with the RB's. In a 9 team league that's actually not all that bad.
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

vCash

I think Elks is the best choice. Eagles is okay, but way to common. Elks is unique and different. Seeing some great logo's already popping up on social media too. Just change it to Elks though, not Elk. Everyone will call them the Elks regardless.

New fan club name....the Elkaholics.
    Spirit of Edmonton special drink....Elkahol.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

And with Elks, you can have the crowd doing elk call grunts. Those airhorns are kind of like that already.

That's what it will be.

vCash

I prefer Golden Eagles over Eagles personally...

Golden Eagles separates us from the Philadelphia Eagles also. Id bet that they may take issue with another Football team taking the same name.

Didn't the Vegas Golden Knights originally want to be just the Knights? I think the OHL London Knights took issue if memory serves me correct.

My 3 cents...

vCash

I think Elks is the best choice. Eagles is okay, but way to common. Elks is unique and different. Seeing some great logo's already popping up on social media too. Just change it to Elks though, not Elk. Everyone will call them the Elks regardless.

Spirit of Edmonton special drink....Elkahol
    Haha... marketing success.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

DAMN that Brock eh ?
    I guess they didn't like his Edmonton Ed's suggestion.

vCash

Spirit of Edmonton special drink....Elkahol.
    you just sold me on the name!!!!