Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Survey? I didn't get a survey.
    It is a moot point now. This decision has become all about the almighty dollar and no longer has anything to do with how the Inuit actually feel about the name, if it ever was.

Go Empire!!
    Last edited by widowmaker; 07-13-2020 at 07:48 PM.

vCash

Think it's over. EEFC will have no choice to change it's name. When major sponsors pull out, rightly or wrongly, their hand will be forced.

The Esks can't win this PR battle. Time to get in front of it, announce a name change to the Edmonton Golden Eagles (hehehe....shameless plug) and start marketing the new identity.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Sponsors started pulling out after the media started harassing them about the name and posting their names on social media for like minded sjw types (who don’t care about the CFL or the Esks) who got loud on Twitter.

The way this all played out completely disgusts me.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I’m just gonna say...Golden Eagles is the worst f*cking name ever. Sorry, but I hear eagles and I think ‘Murica!
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I’m just gonna say...Golden Eagles is the worst f*cking name ever. Sorry, but I hear eagles and I think ‘Murica!
    Empire is the worst f*cking name ever. But I will respect your opinion.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

If Eskimos is offensive name so what about Empire? I mean Empire might be offensive name for nations which lived under empires.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I’m apparently a racist ******* because I want the name to stay the same. I’m not trying to pi$$ on you Messiah...I’m just cranky about the team that I’ve loved since I was a kid, bled for on the field and supported all these years... grrrrrr.
    Hard to say Once an Eskimo, Always an Eskimo if they ain’t Eskimos anymore.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I’m apparently a racist ******* because I want the name to stay the same. I’m not trying to pi$$ on you Messiah...I’m just cranky about the team that I’ve loved since I was a kid, bled for on the field and supported all these years... grrrrrr.
    Hard to say Once an Eskimo, Always an Eskimo if they ain’t Eskimos anymore.
    I'm with you Boydo. I have supported this team for my whole 51 years. Started going to games with my dad as a kid. Became a season tickets holder in my 20's and this was going to be my 25th year as a STH. My kids, now 16 & 19, have been going to the games since they were toddlers. They love going to games now too.
    I don't want to see a name change. But I also understand where it can be deemed as offensive. Even my kids and their friends perceive it as "a bit racist". This is where we are as a world. Things evolve and change. I will always support this team regardless of the name, whatever it is.
    Green & Gold forever !!
    ----------------------

vCash

their friends perceive it as "a bit racist".
    How? How might it be "a bit racist"?

Is Minnesota Vikings "a bit racist" as well? For example? Also there were any vikings in Minneapolis area.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Fact is that if the club changes their name now, then they have caved to corporate pressure. That means that the voices of the Northern people they have consulted up to this point were moot. That to me is the biggest insult they could possibly give to them, and worthy of people to stop supporting them. How would that look to a culture that continues to fight to be heard?

Come clean, and be transparent in what your consultations have been. Their voice is the only one that matters, not some corporate dingbats from Quebec, not some far-left white SJWs, or the next wave of Karens demanding change.

From every post I have seen regarding this topic, the vast majority of Inuit commenting on social media sites, support the name. They seem to respect the association rather than be offended. The club needs to live in that context, and let the decision be made for the right reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ukie View Post

Is Minnesota Vikings "a bit racist" as well? For example? Also there were any vikings in Minneapolis area.
    Montreal Canadiens.

Identifies as an ethnic francophone culture.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Washington Redskins to retire name.

Navajo Nation President Johnathan Nez stated the following:

“July 13, 2020 is now a historic day for all Indigenous peoples around the world as the NFL Washington-based team officially announced the retirement of the racist and disparaging “Redskins” team name and logo,” Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez wrote. “This change did not come about willingly by the team’s owners, but by the mounting pressure and advocacy of Indigenous peoples such as Amanda Blackhorse, and many other warriors who fought long and hard for this change.”

The statement continued: “We strongly encourage the NFL Washington organization to rename their team in such a way that truly honors and respects the First Americans of this country. Renaming the team “Code Talkers” to honor the Navajo Code Talkers, and other tribal nations who used their sacred language to help win World War II, would set the team on a path to restoring its reputation and correcting the historical misrepresentation of Indigenous peoples.”

If I was the owner of the football team I would thank the Navajo Nation President for his name suggestion but I would certainly run from it. Right now it might be okay to be named the Code Talkers but will it be okay in ten or twenty years. No Thanks.
    Good on Washington for finally moving on from the worst name in pro sports, but the new name is them and their fans choice not the group that has been fighting them all of these years.

And "Code Breakers" maybe if they hire Belichick it would be apt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ukie View Post

Don't attack me. Just repeating what I hear from my daughters teenage friends as an example of what the younger generation is saying. IT goes from, yes it's racist, to ummm...maybe a bit racist.
    ----------------------

vCash

Unfortunately, the fight is over. Even if the survey comes back, and lets say 75% of the Inuit support the name, do you really think that the SJW's and media are going to come out and admit that they were totally wrong. NO WAY, never going to happen. They will just pivot and focus on the 25% who think it is racist and say things like "if even one person is offended by the name then you shouldn't have it" ect ect. Why... because its an easy way to generate clicks. Media and SJW's doesn't give a crap about the Inuit, they only care about generating clicks so the narrative will never go away. The battle can't be won, so what is the point in fighting it?

With that said, I'm throwing my support behind "Elk" as the new team name. IMO, you are going to have the exact same problems with the "Empire" team name as you do with the Eskimo team name, so that shouldn't even be an option. The "Elk" name allows you to keep the old logo and has historical roots with the team (thus satisfying your traditionalist fans) while allowing you to introduce an alternate logo for use on 3rd jerseys and diversifying your merch lineup to appeal to a younger crowd as well. You could send out Elk calls with the season ticket packages... could you imagine 20,000 Elk bugling in the stands on a 3rd down defensive stand!!! You could change the air raid siren at the beginning of the game to a giant Elk bugle that the players run out onto to the field too...

Once and Elk always an Elk
    Brotherhood Of Nasty Elk

It all works! It's an animal from the local area so it even makes sense from that perspective. There are ties with team history and best of all, no one can be offended (well they could be, but then 3/4 of the team names in the league need to change).

GO ELK!!!
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    Fact is that if the club changes their name now, then they have caved to corporate pressure. That means that the voices of the Northern people they have consulted up to this point were moot. That to me is the biggest insult they could possibly give to them, and worthy of people to stop supporting them. How would that look to a culture that continues to fight to be heard?

Come clean, and be transparent in what your consultations have been. Their voice is the only one that matters, not some corporate dingbats from Quebec, not some far-left white SJWs, or the next wave of Karens demanding change.

From every post I have seen regarding this topic, the vast majority of Inuit commenting on social media sites, support the name. They seem to respect the association rather than be offended. The club needs to live in that context, and let the decision be made for the right reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Montreal Canadiens.

Identifies as an ethnic francophone culture.
    Mate,

A lot of good things will come out of the current social justice movement. Sadly, just as many bad things will as well. Gone are reason, rational thought, empirical science, civil discourse and racial colorblindness.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 07-14-2020 at 09:30 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    I like RedTails for Washington in honour of the Tuskegee Airmen. THAT’S how you honour a minority group.
    lol honour? I guarantee you that a vocal minority would NOT take it as honouring but would be bleating about it too being racist.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Unfortunately, the fight is over. Even if the survey comes back, and lets say 75% of the Inuit support the name, do you really think that the SJW's and media are going to come out and admit that they were totally wrong. NO WAY, never going to happen. They will just pivot and focus on the 25% who think it is racist and say things like "if even one person is offended by the name then you shouldn't have it" ect ect. Why... because its an easy way to generate clicks. Media and SJW's doesn't give a crap about the Inuit, they only care about generating clicks so the narrative will never go away. The battle can't be won, so what is the point in fighting it?

With that said, I'm throwing my support behind "Elk" as the new team name. IMO, you are going to have the exact same problems with the "Empire" team name as you do with the Eskimo team name, so that shouldn't even be an option. The "Elk" name allows you to keep the old logo and has historical roots with the team (thus satisfying your traditionalist fans) while allowing you to introduce an alternate logo for use on 3rd jerseys and diversifying your merch lineup to appeal to a younger crowd as well. You could send out Elk calls with the season ticket packages... could you imagine 20,000 Elk bugling in the stands on a 3rd down defensive stand!!! You could change the air raid siren at the beginning of the game to a giant Elk bugle that the players run out onto to the field too...

Once and Elk always an Elk
    Brotherhood Of Nasty Elk

It all works! It's an animal from the local area so it even makes sense from that perspective. There are ties with team history and best of all, no one can be offended (well they could be, but then 3/4 of the team names in the league need to change).

GO ELK!!!
    So empire is a bad word now too?
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    So empire is a bad word now too?
    Building an empire is all about subjugating other people, so yeah, IMO choosing "Empire" is going to cause the same problems.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Empire, n, an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority.

This is not a bad word. Look, if there is a divide between Inuit and Inuk peoples about the name "Eskimos" and it isn't seen by a massive majority as a name that is positive, then go ahead and change it. But when it comes to choosing a new name we have to, at some point, draw the line against the woke McCarthys and stand our ground.

vCash

Building an empire is all about subjugating other people, so yeah, IMO choosing "Empire" is going to cause the same problems.
    Oh good grief. I am not arguing with you because you are probably right, someone somewhere will get bent out of shape over that as well. To me, it's just getting out of hand.

If you pick the name ELKS, will that not upset animal rights activists?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Empire, n, an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority.

This is not a bad word. Look, if there is a divide between Inuit and Inuk peoples about the name "Eskimos" and it isn't seen by a massive majority as a name that is positive, then go ahead and change it. But when it comes to choosing a new name we have to, at some point, draw the line against the woke McCarthys and stand our ground.
    I couldn't agree more. This is me sounding "Old" again but with the way people are today, someone is going to get upset over just above everything.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Oh good grief. I am not arguing with you because you are probably right, someone somewhere will get bent out of shape over that as well. To me, it's just getting out of hand.

If you pick the name ELKS, will that not upset animal rights activists?

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't agree more. This is me sounding "Old" again but with the way people are today, someone is going to get upset over just above everything.
    My suggestion is clearly the only viable option... the only group it could possibly offend are the least important of all...

vCash

Empire? Really? What's the logo? Branding? Marketing? Sorry, but that's a terrible idea.
    ----------------------

vCash

Even if the survey comes back, and lets say 75% of the Inuit support the name, do you really think that the SJW's and media are going to come out and admit that they were totally wrong. NO WAY, never going to happen.
    Just took a look around twitter and a few CFL sites and noticed that they are not even waiting for results. They are already hard at work undermining the survey itself, which will give them license to ignore any results that don't match their narrative.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Empire? Really? What's the logo? Branding? Marketing? Sorry, but that's a terrible idea.
    Those things will play a big part as they do whenever new sports teams are trying to come up with a name. The name itself isn't nearly as important as the logo hence brand and marketability that comes out of it. Having said that who would have thought the name REDBLACKS would turn into something so successfully marketable? There are similarities to what Ottawa was trying to deal with and what Edmonton might have to deal with. Just like Edmonton would want to feed off the "EE" Ottawa was very much driven to incorporate the iconic "R" into their new name and logo. Craftily while the name came across as hokey the colours red and black fit perfectly with the very marketable lumberjack plaid which in turn tied to the history of the original Rough Rider name.

For the Eskimos perhaps a very subtle change of dropping the bottom bar on the 2nd E changing the logo from EE to EF would open up other possibilities?

vCash

I like it. Better than "Elks". Oooh...Elks...that'll scare those other teams.

vCash

Well if the name is Empire or anything that begins with the letter 'e" why would they have to change it?

As far as marketing and slogans go they are already using the One Empire but other could include:

Join the Empire! (Something to recruit talent, or attract fans);
    Fight with the Empire!
    Building an Empire (Could be the name of a newsletter about the team)

Those are just a couple but I am sure that there are other possibilities.

I know that Empire is not the first choice for everyone, that said if we went with Elks what would the slogan be?

"Join the herd!"
    "Watch out for our antlers!"
    "Edmonton Elks, we'll gore the opposition!"

If it is the Golden Eagles that is chosen is the slogan

"Flock to Brick field"
    "We'll lay an egg on the opposition!" or
    " Eskimos Golden Eagles! Don't worry we are not the same as the US eagle so you can still cheer for us without feeling like you support Trump." (Ok, that one is a bit long)

vCash

I can’t even bring myself to care about other potential names. I can’t be the only one who is thinking of moving on if the Eskimos cease to exist.

Becoming newly invested in a “new franchise“ in a league that’s already barely holding on doesn’t interest me. Cheering for the Empire or the Elks or the Eagles while having to pretend the Eskimos never existed doesn’t interest me.

I am, was, and will only ever be an Eskimo fan.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I like it. Better than "Elks". Oooh...Elks...that'll scare those other teams.
    Are they especially terrified of "Redblacks" or "Alouettes"?
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I can’t even bring myself to care about other potential names. I can’t be the only one who is thinking of moving on if the Eskimos cease to exist.

Becoming newly invested in a “new franchise“ in a league that’s already barely holding on doesn’t interest me. Cheering for the Empire or the Elks or the Eagles while having to pretend the Eskimos never existed doesn’t interest me.

I am, was, and will only ever be an Eskimo fan.
    As an older guy I also would only identify as an Eskimo fan. That being said a name change would not result in me moving on. Keeping the same team colors and logo would definitely help though and I would still wear my old team apparel to games with the word Eskimos on it. Hopefully I won't suffer any backlash for doing so but if I am forced to I will suffer those slings and arrows. Even if we do end up changing the original team name it doesn't meant that as a fan I would be forced to forget it or honor it in my own way.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I can see this site taking a hit for sure if there's a name change. Angelus has said before he isn't sure he has the will nor the energy to do a re-brand.

Personally, I hope that they choose something that can abbreviate to Esks then, or something similar; at least that way so many things stay the same.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Dear Belaire Direct, can you tell me when you will be retiring your mascot that wears plate mail and remove all of your advertisements on tv with the actor wearing plate mail?

Thanks!

Spanish conquering central America.

English invasion of scotland.

20-year military campaign initiated by Pope Innocent III to eliminate Catharism in Languedoc, in southern France