Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Heard on 1260 that Rishaugh is reporting that the team will change the name and an announcement might come next week.

No surprise. Unfortunately, I do not think they had a choice in the matter. If they didn't, it would continue to be a story and brought up over and over again. What I don't like is how there seems to be a lot of people with zero skin in the game giving their 2 cents. Then once the team changes the name, they will move on to something else and have nothing to do with the team or Inuit people. But that seems to be how things are these days.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Welp, its been a fun ride. I wish you all the very best!

vCash

Re: Eskimos changing team name

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Heard on 1260 that Rishaugh is reporting that the team will change the name and an announcement might come next week.

No surprise. Unfortunately, I do not think they had a choice in the matter. If they didn't, it would continue to be a story and brought up over and over again. What I don't like is how there seems to be a lot of people with zero skin in the game giving their 2 cents. Then once the team changes the name, they will move on to something else and have nothing to do with the team or Inuit people. But that seems to be how things are these days.
    The irony is that by dropping the name, any outreach to Northern Indigenous will eventually end as well. Remove the name and the Inuit people are forgotten. Those in Western Territories, who currently feel pride in the name, may feel abandon. Those in the East, with "little connection" to the team, may not even know the change happened.

They did have a choice, and they chose to be weak.

Extremely disappointing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post

Extremely disappointing.
    Weakness is seeing the team fail. If you can't get sponsors, the team WILL fail. Not much of a choice.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    The irony is that by dropping the name, any outreach to Northern Indigenous will eventually end as well. Remove the name and the Inuit people are forgotten. Those in Western Territories, who currently feel pride in the name, may feel abandon. Those in the East, with "little connection" to the team, may not even know the change happened.
    You are probably right which for the people that benefited from it, they will lose out.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post

Extremely disappointing.
    I disagree completely. Like it or not, the Esks had to change it. I agree with you that it's disappointing that it is happening because a big part of it has nothing to do with offending people. I don't believe the name was picked with any ill intent but regardless, times have changed. Unless there was a complete endorsement by all of the Inuit people, the ones it actually impacts, there was no way it could have stayed. If there was a segment of people who say they are offended by it, the Esks hands were tied because you can't tell these people they are wrong for being offended.

vCash

The "Edmonton Belairdirects". Might as well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Then they would lose me as a fan.

I'm okay with the change, though right now it feels like I'm mourning the loss of a friend losing the name. I suspect many of us are feeling a version of that. Some will laugh or make jokes about it, others are going to rant and rave and say they are leaving, but ultimately over time people will get used to it and either never show up here again giving up their fandom, or accepting.

I hope those that will argue with the people that get mad about this keep that in mind, sometimes people just need to vent for a bit, and they don't need to be told they are lesser people because of being mad about this.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Hot Re: Eskimos changing team name

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Donít even use the company in the same breath as our beloved Eskimos , BELLAIR better change their mascot as Iím offended by the Little knight logo
    I heard Suitor say that the Eskimos trademarked the name EMPIRE 18 months ago Iím guessing they new this was coming .He also said that they would have to negotiate with Disney to use that name , not sure why tho

vCash

delete

accidental double post

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Sell outs
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

Inside my heart is breaking....

I understand the dynamics but the team I fell in love with as a child, 31 years ago.. won’t be the same.. u can say it’s the same but it’s not..

Inside a little piece of my heart died..

Love my team regardless but I’m a sad sad bunny atm

#onceaneskimo

vCash

I seems a lot of people gave the "Edmonton" part of the name very little consideration...
    14 and counting!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    If outreach means spending any money going to northern communities then that outreach should end the day the name changes. The rugged, industrious people that this team was named after were drowned out by the self-righteous fake offended few and that is too bad.

There are a lot of communities that the team can reach out to in Northern Alberta they could be going to instead.
    Last edited by Esks1975; 07-17-2020 at 01:03 AM. Reason: they not the

vCash

Totally Inevitable, the only redeeming quality is that I won't have to listen to some MP or U professor bleat about this constantly when they would not know one end of a football from the other and have zero clue how the team has operated over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    I'm warming to the Elks name. Seems to make the most sense. But please for the love of all that is holy, do not put antlers on our helmets. Keep them the same as they are. The Double E logo is iconic.
    Dayuum, I like that name

vCash

The problem with Elks is three fold for me. 1) A one syllable 2d word just isn't as good as one with more syllables to match with Ed Mon Ton.
    2) Elk is singular and plural, I don;t think there is such a thing as Elks, it is Elk
    3) The native name for Elk is Wapiti so he team would get blasted for not using the REAL name.

I do think you could come up with a great helmet logo though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    Sell outs
    disagree. I dont see it as them selling out per say. I dont think they are doing it because a ****ty insurance company whined

I think its stupid we have to change our name but we all knew this was coming for a while now. If they chose to keep Eskimos - the pressure would never end . I hate the East. their Inuit people bitch and whine It's offense yet the Western Inuit love the name. Should stay Eskimos. I wonder how much input TSN had behind closed door forcing us to change it. Them media *******s in the East suuure jumped on the bandwagon quickly.

Personally I dont give two ****s what they'll be called. I'll still be calling them Eskimos.
    People whine about what about the go Esks go? Pfft. That hasn't been a good chant in the stands for years. in the 90s it was always rocking. The giant turd and dip**** bear have zero clue how to play to a crowd.

- - - Updated - - -

AJ Gass on twitter said Edmonton Elite.

How funny would it be if they announce they new name as Eskimos and give everyone a giant middle finger lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coach_ditka View Post
    Dayuum, I like that name
    Elks? no.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    Sell outs
    Truth.

The mob applied pressure and the Eskimos caved, maybe the club doesn't deserve the moniker after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    If outreach means spending any money going to northern communities then that outreach should end the day the name changes. The rugged, industrious people that this team was named after were drowned out by the self-righteous fake offended few and that is too bad.

There are a lot of communities that the team can reach out to in Northern Alberta the could be going to instead.
    This 100x over.

This is not a victory for 78% of the Western Inuit people who were proud to have their heritage represented positively in the mainstream, it is a victory for a small minority of virtue signallers trying to cry outrage, despite having nothing to do with either side of the issue.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Once we move past the more obvious targets:
    Redskins, Eskimos, Braves, Indians, Chiefs

Can we address other historically violent themed groups?
    -Bucaneers, Raiders, Vikings, Pirates

Cruelty to animal type names may also come under fire:
    -Stampeders, Roughriders, Cowboys

Some names are too nationalistic for today's culture:
    -Canadiens, Canucks, Patriots, Texans,

What about Argonauts - historically they were cruel to the poor Harpies.

REDBLACKS seems extremely offensive as well, with potential racial undertones. And the capital letters is far too aggressive.

Obviously OILERS is probably offensive to the new green economy. Due for a change.

What about Manchester UNITED. That name forces unity and doesn't respect diversity enough.
    What about the Yankees? That word has taken on a derogatory connotation over the years too. It never ends. Perhaps all teams should abandon nicknames altogether, just to be safe.
    @chadganske

vCash

It does sound like the younger generation are the ones that are "offended" so it begs the question, is the term actually offensive or is it offensive only because the younger generation and how things are now take offense to everything? I do find that people throw around the term being "disrespected" a hell of a lot and often times I question if they actually know what that means. Just because you don't share the same opinion on something, doesn't mean a person is disrespecting you yet that seems to be the case these days.

I think no matter what happens, they will have to change it strictly because it will be a story even if it evidence suggests it shouldn't be.
    The irony of all of this is Nunavut has a population of 33,000 and those numbers dwindle everyday because the youth are moving away from their heritage. The same is true for the NWT. They just killed another part of their proud heritage.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post

There are a lot of communities that the team can reach out to in Northern Alberta they could be going to instead.
    I believe that this will happen, not because of anger over the name change but because of economics. Outreach is done for community service purposes no doubt, but it is also done to create new fans and hopefully generate new revenue as well. While going up north may create new fans who can buy some merch, they won't be buying game tix or more importantly season tix. You spend that outreach money closer to home and you can create fans who spend money on both. Ultimately, the name is what tied us to the north. Once that's gone, the economics say to spend that outreach money much closer to home.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Edmonton Eskimoos

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Edmonton Eskimoos
    Yes!! We can have horns on our helmets instead of antlers...
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Not happy about this transition as it gives another win to the PC culture we are living in right now. Pretty soon we are going to all be the No Names as that cannot be taken offensively or can it?????? Maybe people who were labeled John or Jane Does would take offence?

That being said, my allegiance to this team goes past the actual team name, so I'll continue supporting them.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Not happy about this transition as it gives another win to the PC culture we are living in right now. Pretty soon we are going to all be the No Names as that cannot be taken offensively or can it?????? Maybe people who were labeled John or Jane Does would take offence?

That being said, my allegiance to this team goes past the actual team name, so I'll continue supporting them.
    There have been several football reasons for me to give up on this team or it's management and I've stuck by them so this is no different.

Though, I do think this means they need to have success if they re-open in a bubble this fall to survive any of the cases where some fans may have looked at this as the last straw.

vCash

I am a lifelong fan of the Edmonton Eskimos Football Club. Whatever the new name is, I will still support my Edmonton Football Club. If any "fan" decides to not support the team because of a name change, then fine, that is on you. This is happening so either support your team & players or don't.
    Here is a great opportunity to breathe life in to a new name, marketing to the next generation and rejuvenate a stale dying brand.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post