Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Eskimos changing team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos changing team name

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    But I think they should leave it as Edmonton Football Club. Like that one more than any of the names that are out there.
    Well that would immediately drop the team once proudly known as the Edmonton Eskimos down to dead last on my pecking order of favourite CFL teams.

European style team names should be kept on the other side of the Atlantic.
    Last edited by Foxhound; 03-07-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    Radically Canadian!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    The NFL blocked the Baltimore CFL franchise from using Colts, even though there wasn't a team there that used it, having moved to Indy years earlier. Anything is possible when the juggernaut that is the NFL wants to "protect their brand", regardless what the Philadelphia team wants or cares about.
    The issue with Colts wasn't so much the name by itself as it was being used in conjunction with Baltimore. Had say the San Antonio or Shreveport or Memphis teams wanted to call their teams Colts I don't think the NFL would have raised a fuss at all.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    If they go with Elkhounds they pretty much have a mascot already. Just give Nanook some different ears and a fluffy tail...
    Just need to call the Flames and see if they have a spare Harvey the Hound suit hanging in their closet.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    For sure...we wouldn't be able to meet the roster requirement for Nationals!
    But it could help with the Global requirement on the roster as the Norwegian Elkhound is the National Dog of Norway.

vCash

Hmmmm. Well I dunno....

Radically Canadian!

vCash

I'm not sure how I would feel hearing opposing fans trying to distract our elkhounds by yelling.........SQUIRELL SQUIRELL !!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Interesting...Didn't realize that the team had actually taken steps to already trademark all of the potential names but makes sense...https://3downnation.com/2021/03/09/e...al-team-names/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

TM's filed for Edmonton Elks and Edmonton Energy yesterday, according to multiple outlets.

Encouraging for those of us who wanted to add an S to the Elk. My optimistic side thinks they also added Energy as a bit of a smokescreen; if they only added the one TM it would be more of a giveaway that Elks was a very serious front-runner (otherwise why file the TM at all?).
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Interesting...Didn't realize that the team had actually taken steps to already trademark all of the potential names but makes sense...https://3downnation.com/2021/03/09/e...al-team-names/
    Thanks for that link. It led me to this link: https://3downnation.com/2020/08/07/m...n-name-change/

I imagine that link was probably posted at the time, I may have even glanced it, so sorry if I'm repeating things here. But the quote that stood out for me was:

The poll pointed to significant demographic challenges faced by the CFL, with just 5 percent of respondents identifying themselves as die hard fans and 14 percent as casual fans. Those numbers were skewed significantly towards older individuals with just 13 percent of those under 35 identifying as a fan compared to 26 percent in the 65 and over category. Fandom was particularly clustered in low population provinces like Saskatchewan and Manitoba, with marginal interest in Ontario, Quebec and B.C.
    The name issue is a pretty minor issue in the scheme of things, as those numbers, in combination with one season being cancelled and another threatened, do not bode well for the future of the league in general.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    TM's filed for Edmonton Elks and Edmonton Energy yesterday, according to multiple outlets.

Encouraging for those of us who wanted to add an S to the Elk. My optimistic side thinks they also added Energy as a bit of a smokescreen; if they only added the one TM it would be more of a giveaway that Elks was a very serious front-runner (otherwise why file the TM at all?).
    I’ll take energy over elk/s it’s come to that now....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I’ll take energy over elk/s it’s come to that now....
    it sounds better imo, however the Esks have zero clue how to install "energy" to the fans at commonwealth. Mascots useless and invisble ( not like it use to be ), their hiphop dance team used at stupid times and just plain wrong not to mention paired with a bad drum troop..

vCash

Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Edmonton Elks. At least has something to do with Edmonton; as in Elk Island National Park is 35 KM from the City.

Edmonton Energy. Meh. Lets go full throttle Marvel comic, and give the uniforms lightening bolts on the helmets... and have the players wear glow in the dark contact lenses ....

vCash

Meet your new team....

The Edmonton Eels!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...J_u37A76VCdPqc

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Meet your new team....

The Edmonton Eels!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...J_u37A76VCdPqc
    Been done...

https://www.parraeels.com.au/
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Remind me....

Do we have an official announcement date yet?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Remind me....

Do we have an official announcement date yet?
    I thought I heard some time in April...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    Edmonton Elks. At least has something to do with Edmonton; as in Elk Island National Park is 35 KM from the City.

Edmonton Energy. Meh. Lets go full throttle Marvel comic, and give the uniforms lightening bolts on the helmets... and have the players wear glow in the dark contact lenses ....
    Can't say I've ever seen an elk at Elk Island Park.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    I thought I heard some time in April...
    Yeah, let's drag this fiasco out for another month. I guess they need to prep all the sample merchandise for the board to wear when they announce it.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    Can't say I've ever seen an elk at Elk Island Park.
    That was an area where a ton of Elk used to be, which is why it has that name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    Yeah, let's drag this fiasco out for another month. I guess they need to prep all the sample merchandise for the board to wear when they announce it.
    The alternative is releasing the merchandise with a new name/brand, not selling nearly as much as when we have football front of mind, and wasting the opportunity.

They will do it when it's right for the team.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    That was an area where a ton of Elk used to be, which is why it has that name.

The alternative is releasing the merchandise with a new name/brand, not selling nearly as much as when we have football front of mind, and wasting the opportunity.

They will do it when it's right for the team.
    Agreed. As much as I want to know what the name is going to be, I recognize the marketing opportunity and how they can roll it right into the season if done properly. I would far rather wait and get the whole marketing package as opposed to them releasing bits at a time.
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!