Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos keeping team name

vCash

Re: Eskimos keeping team name

Nothing last forever. Phone the after life, and ask to speak with Julius Caesar ... or just about anyone else who might reply.

As has already been suggested above (by Stamphater) within 10 years the name will be changed. To what, I do not know.
    Heard my wife telling my son yesterday that the term "eskimo" is pejorative. Right or wrong, true or false, that is the perception out there.

Mock my words ... the name will be changed sooner than later.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Well when Inuit say they have had it used in a derogatory way towards them then yeah...it is a racial slur.
    That must make all them American Eskimo tribes a bunch of heathens....

- - - Updated - - -

This, once again sums it up perfectly. If you are easily offended, don't hit play.

I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Lion is a an animal that should be free not kept in a zoo and certainly not used in s sport name. I am offended
    The Calgary stampede is a cruel event in which horses are killed every year. I am offended.
    Rough riders is a rip off of an army militia from thee american spanish war and all the atrocities that went along with it. I am offended.
    Bombing is violent and has killed millions of people in history. I am offended.
    Argonaut is a theft or cultural appropriation of greek history. I am offended.
    Alouettes once again comes from a war air force squadron, glorying war. I am offended.
    Tiger Cats, see 'Lions' above.
    Ottawa red blacks, terrible use of names for people of colour. I am offended.

Now tell me why I have no right to be offended.

(Lets not even talk about 'Canuck' a slur about canadians.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    Nothing last forever. Phone the after life, and ask to speak with Julius Caesar ... or just about anyone else who might reply.

As has already been suggested above (by Stamphater) within 10 years the name will be changed. To what, I do not know.
    Heard my wife telling my son yesterday that the term "eskimo" is pejorative. Right or wrong, true or false, that is the perception out there.

Mock my words ... the name will be changed sooner than later.
    Moon1, I mock your words. The ratio of simple words to complex ones is way off and it's obvious that you had Doritos dust on your fingertips while typing them.
    Last edited by Mudnyereye; 02-24-2020 at 07:27 AM.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Here we freakin go again...sometimes I think we should just give in and change it as this will never let up even with the positive feedback we have gotten from northern communities...getting tired of it already...https://3downnation.com/2020/06/01/e...-twitter-post/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Nice to see all the white social justice warriors chiming in on the comment section there.

3DownNation don't expect any donations from me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Here we freakin go again...sometimes I think we should just give in and change it as this will never let up even with the positive feedback we have gotten from northern communities...getting tired of it already...https://3downnation.com/2020/06/01/e...-twitter-post/
    Well... whatever gets clicks I guess

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Nice to see all the white social justice warriors chiming in on the comment section there.

3DownNation don't expect any donations from me.
    Could not agree more. 3DownNation needs to be better then this.

vCash

3DownNation is nothing but pure shyt, and tabloid material. I dont give 2 ****s what they say/think.

3Down just posted this bull**** because of whats happening in the states. They should feel shame for riding on the coat tails of a serious matter with this piddly ass issue.

Eskimos is a way less offensive term than many teams ( Red Skins)and if the Northern Communities are fine with the Esks keeping their name then that should be - END OF THE ****ING STORY.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Well... whatever gets clicks I guess
    That is exactly what it is about. Limited-talent staff writer trying to get noticed one way or another.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Decided not to click on it.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Decided not to click on it.
    Wish I would have done the same. I should just learn to ignore this Bu!!s%!t but it just never fails to get a rise out of me which I guess is just fine by the writer or should I say more accurately hack.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Wish I would have done the same. I should just learn to ignore this Bu!!s%!t but it just never fails to get a rise out of me which I guess is just fine by the writer or should I say more accurately hack.
    Its not about being accurate. It's about woke-cred. People who want to look righteous by being offended for people who are not offended.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    People who want to look righteous by being offended for people who are not offended.
    The Esks own research contradicts your statement.

Story

They found Inuit held “a range of opinions” on the name, and there was “no consensus” about whether or not it should be changed.

“As strongly as some people may have felt one way, there were people that felt equally strongly the other way,” she said.
    So their findings state that there WERE Inuit that were offended. How many? It doesn't say. Should they release those numbers? Why not? How many offended Inuit do you need to change the name?

vCash

Much like the over the top negative online comments when the CFL asked the government for money, its my guess that the majority of negative comments towards the Esks name are virtuous keyboard warriors who don’t actually give a **** about the CFL or the Esks.

I maintain that if the Esks ever changed their name just to appease those people, I would take it as a slap to the face of Esks fans and it would be like spitting all over the history of the organization.

vCash

If they ever change their name they will be dead to me as an entertainment product.

vCash

And that sums up the no win situation that the Eskimos find themselves in.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    And that sums up the no win situation that the Eskimos find themselves in.
    I 100% believe that if their consultation had found a clear majority of northern indigenous peoples were offended by the name, the name would be changed. And, actually, I'd be okay with that. But caving to politically correct pressure from white woke people who are offended by proxy would drive me away. All my life I've heard the term "Eskimo" Not once have I EVER heard it used with a derogatory connotation. Equating it with the "N" word...that is a recent invention. It may not be the term that Canadian Inuit prefer in 2020, but it is not a racial slur simply because people decided on the spot that it is.

vCash

I 100% believe that if their consultation had found a clear majority of northern indigenous peoples were offended by the name, the name would be changed. And, actually, I'd be okay with that. But caving to politically correct pressure from white woke people who are offended by proxy would drive me away. All my life I've heard the term "Eskimo" Not once have I EVER heard it used with a derogatory connotation. Equating it with the "N" word...that is a recent invention. It may not be the term that Canadian Inuit prefer in 2020, but it is not a racial slur simply because people decided on the spot that it is.
    So that's the thing with the Esks investigation. They didn't say what for the numbers were. They didn't say a small minority are opposed to the name. They said strong opinions on either side. If 50% of Inuit are opposed to the name, do we keep it? What about 40%? 20%?

You understand this isn't about how you or "white woke people" feel about the term Eskimo.

As long as the team is named after a group of people, it will remain controversial and the Esks will keep getting called out. Just like Washington football, Chicago hockey and Cleveland baseball teams are now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    So that's the thing with the Esks investigation. They didn't say what for the numbers were. They didn't say a small minority are opposed to the name. They said strong opinions on either side. If 50% of Inuit are opposed to the name, do we keep it? What about 40%? 20%?

You understand this isn't about how you or "white woke people" feel about the term Eskimo.

As long as the team is named after a group of people, it will remain controversial and the Esks will keep getting called out. Just like Washington football, Chicago hockey and Cleveland baseball teams are now.
    Except the reason it’s in the news again is because a bunch of white people jumped on a tweet from the Esks regarding the BLM protests.

And other times it comes up, it’s white politicians when either the Esks are in the playoffs or Edmonton is hosting a Grey Cup.

It’s classic virtue signalling, white people telling the Inuit what they should and shouldn’t be offended by.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Except the reason it’s in the news again is because a bunch of white people jumped on a tweet from the Esks regarding the BLM protests.

And other times it comes up, it’s white politicians when either the Esks are in the playoffs or Edmonton is hosting a Grey Cup.

It’s classic virtue signalling, white people telling the Inuit what they should and shouldn’t be offended by.
    This would have no traction if it were just white people. But some prominent Inuit leaders have said the name should change. Perhaps these white people are among those standing behind groups calling for change as is happening all over right now.

vCash

But not Minnesota football, San Francisco football, Houston Football, Vancouver hockey, Montreal hockey, or a dozen other sports teams named after groups of people. Got it. I maintain that the term "Eskimo" is NOT a racial slur and doesn't become one just because someone invents that narrative on the spot.

vCash

I maintain that the term "Eskimo" is NOT a racial slur and doesn't become one just because someone invents that narrative on the spot.
    It is considered a racial slur by many Inuit in Canada who had the name used against them in a derogatory fashion. That is their experience not yours. That is a fact.

vCash

It is considered a racial slur by many Inuit in Canada who had the name used against them in a derogatory fashion. That is their experience not yours. That is a fact.
    This is it. Just like it is not the place of "white woke" people to demand a name change, it's also not the place of the "I'm fine with it - what's the problem" people to insist leaving it is fine.
    It is not our decision either way. We don't get a vote.
    So we allow the team/business to continue to consult with the Inuit and find resolution, but this will always be an ongoing process.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

And many do not. Which tells me it is a recent, invented narrative. But hey, as a Canadian, I will now, on the spot, consider the term "canuck" to be a slur against Canadians. I demand that the Vancouver NHL team change its name!!

vCash

And many do not. Which tells me it is a recent, invented narrative. But hey, as a Canadian, I will now, on the spot, consider the term "canuck" to be a slur against Canadians. I demand that the Vancouver NHL team change its name!!
    The pejorative use of Eskimo in the north is a recent invented narrative? Did you really say that?

vCash

The pejorative use of Eskimo in the north is a recent invented narrative? Did you really say that?
    I'm saying that the word "Eskimo" is not a racial slur and is not used to identify people in the negative. The intent of the speaker matters as much as the manner in which the listener hears it, mate.

If I believed for an instant that people used the word "eskimo" as a slur I would be demanding that our CFL team change its name. I am not, because I do not.

But I guess Nat King Cole was being derogatory in the Christmas song.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 06-03-2020 at 10:09 AM.

vCash

But caving to politically correct pressure from white woke people who are offended by proxy would drive me away.
    I maintain that the term "Eskimo" is NOT a racial slur
    Got it. White guy isn't offended by a word, therefore it isn't a slur, because he doesn't mean to offend anyone when he uses it. And the team should cave to white guys who don't care about how terms may be perceived by other people, lest they be driven away.

The team changes their jerseys on an annual basis. Their logo is constantly being "updated". For a brief time in history, the team was called the Edmonton Elks. Players, coaches, GMs are rotated such that there is almost complete turnover of the team every 5 years if not quicker. The only thing constant about any sports franchise is change. You're telling me they can't change their name or they'll lose you as a fan? Sounds like you weren't much of a fan to begin with then. The team could change their name to the "Edmonton No-Names" or the "Edmonton Ruff Ryders" or the "Edmonton Edmontonians" and change their jersey color to mauve or translucent and I'll still cheer for them. Although I'm not sure anyone wants to see me wearing a translucent jersey.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well that just makes everything all white now doesn't it??
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.