Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The CFL draft - April 30th

vCash

Canada The CFL draft - April 30th

So we have picks in every round and have the 4th overall pick. The top two prospects, Gallimore and Claypool will surely go fairly high in the NFL draft and should probably not be considered.

Where is the strength of this years draft? You can almost never go wrong picking oiline. We have not had great luck overall with WR's or LBs it seems to me. (LBS get hurt Wrs underachieve)

What say you all?

vCash

Re: The CFL draft - April 30th

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    So we have picks in every round and have the 4th overall pick. The top two prospects, Gallimore and Claypool will surely go fairly high in the NFL draft and should probably not be considered.

Where is the strength of this years draft? You can almost never go wrong picking oiline. We have not had great luck overall with WR's or LBs it seems to me. (LBS get hurt Wrs underachieve)

What say you all?
    Take a kicker. O'Donnell , the Olineman from Alberta would be a good choice. The Lions might take him just ahead of us though. #'s 4,5 & 6 in the ratings are Olinemen also. Don't know if I'd take the Laval player though, we seem to have little luck with Olinemen from that conference. Totally agree with your thought on receivers.

Interesting that our top CFL bird dog for a long time is now with BC and Marcel Bellefeulle who we hired last year as a CFL scout is now Oline coach with Montreal. I think we'll do okay though, considering we got Betts and Saxelid in 2019.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post

Interesting that our top CFL bird dog for a long time is now with BC and Marcel Bellefeulle who we hired last year as a CFL scout is now Oline coach with Montreal. I think we'll do okay though, considering we got Betts and Saxelid in 2019.
    Saxelid was the surprise of the draft for me last year. I think there is some skill and some luck with drafting in recent years. I don't know how deep the field is this year, but hopefully we find some diamonds in the rough.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I wouldn't necessarily go o-line at the top as we have a solid starting 6 lined up (assuming American RT with Saxelid as a swing backup). We do need some youth and depth to develop, however, so I'd be happy to see us grab a couple at some point - maybe R2 and a late round gamble?
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SandManFan View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily go o-line at the top as we have a solid starting 6 lined up (assuming American RT with Saxelid as a swing backup). We do need some youth and depth to develop, however, so I'd be happy to see us grab a couple at some point - maybe R2 and a late round gamble?
    Yeah, if we can get someone who has a really good shot of making the roster with our first pick, I'm fine with a little rolling of the dice with later rounds. We've taken chances on NFL drafted players before - I could see us doing that with a pick or two. After all, we already have over 100 guys on our roster

vCash

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/12/10/gallim...reau-rankings/

Dejon Brissett would be a nice addition. He'd be a good get as a Canadian receiver, which we have seemed to had trouble drafting and developing.

vCash

I would take a look at drafting Nathan Rourke.

The information that I have read suggests that his game still needs some refinement but that he has a lot of potential.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    https://www.cfl.ca/2019/12/10/gallim...reau-rankings/

Dejon Brissett would be a nice addition. He'd be a good get as a Canadian receiver, which we have seemed to had trouble drafting and developing.
    Rysen John is another receiver worth looking at. Out of Simon Fraser and 6'7 , about 230. Some youtube film on him. NFL teams are looking because of his size. Being a Vancouver kid he could be on BC's radar .

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Rysen John is another receiver worth looking at. Out of Simon Fraser and 6'7 , about 230. Some youtube film on him. NFL teams are looking because of his size. Being a Vancouver kid he could be on BC's radar .
    Now that's one big receiver. Hell, with his arms extended he could possibly bring a ball down from 8 feet in the air.

vCash

That's what we thought about Dan Runge too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Had to Google this guy because I did not recall him. Now I know why...

vCash

haha... nice recall - there's a name from the past most Eskimo fans wouldn't remember. The name sounded familiar, but like widowmaker, I had to google that one.

vCash

Me too. 6'9" ... wow, he would have stuck out like, well, like Matt O'Donnell.

Well, maybe not quite like Matt.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

I loved Runge when he was Blocking. We were playing the Bombers Milson Jones was going Outside it looked like James "Wild" West was going to get him and Boom Runge decks him and Jones runs for a 33 yard Td. 6' 8" 250 lb receivers are excellent.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Just looking at the results from the Ontario regional combine in Toronto today. Likely the only combine that will be held this year at least for the North American players. Guelph receiver Kian Schaffer -Baker apparently was impressive despite a hamstring injury.

Inside LB , Jordan Williams , put up good numbers. Twenty reps on the bench press, a 4.40 time on the shuttle and a 4.48 40. Darn good 40 time for a DB, never mind a LB. Played at E. Carolina and can play as a Canadian because his mother is from Toronto. Listed at 5'11 & 219 lbs.

vCash

Looking at the draft possibilities, I am a lot more exited about the possibilities to add on defense rather than offence.

I would be happy with any of the following in round 1

Carter O'Donnell - Offence (doubt he is available unless he gets drafted in the NFL)
    Mark-Antoine Dequoy - DB
    Mason Bennett - DE
    Jordan Williams - LB
    Michael Hoecht - DT

All of these guys would be instant special teams contributors and have the measurables to play snaps on defense if necessary.

- I don't see Gallimore or Claypool ever coming to the CFL.
    - With M O'Donnell (31), Beard (27), Ruby (27), Roy (26) and Saxelid (24), that is 5 experienced guys for 3 spots. I don't see anyone other than O'Donnell as a good bet to replace any of those guys.
    - I also don't see any other receivers as a good bet to beat out the guys we have.

The earliest I would pickan O'Lineman is second round if a guy falls to you that you would have onsidered with your first pick/

In the second round I would also look at
    Adam Auclair - DB/WIL
    Noah Hallett - DB
    Isaac Adeyemi-Berglund - DE

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wildwest View Post
    Looking at the draft possibilities, I am a lot more exited about the possibilities to add on defense rather than offence.

I would be happy with any of the following in round 1

Carter O'Donnell - Offence (doubt he is available unless he gets drafted in the NFL)
    Mark-Antoine Dequoy - DB
    Mason Bennett - DE
    Jordan Williams - LB
    Michael Hoecht - DT

All of these guys would be instant special teams contributors and have the measurables to play snaps on defense if necessary.

- I don't see Gallimore or Claypool ever coming to the CFL.
    - With M O'Donnell (31), Beard (27), Ruby (27), Roy (26) and Saxelid (24), that is 5 experienced guys for 3 spots. I don't see anyone other than O'Donnell as a good bet to replace any of those guys.
    - I also don't see any other receivers as a good bet to beat out the guys we have.

The earliest I would pickan O'Lineman is second round if a guy falls to you that you would have onsidered with your first pick/

In the second round I would also look at
    Adam Auclair - DB/WIL
    Noah Hallett - DB
    Isaac Adeyemi-Berglund - DE
    I like Auclair as well Could be the fast hard hitting Canadian safety we have been missing.

"Meanwhile, Auclair measured six-foot-two, 213 pounds, eight-and-six-eights inch hand measurement, 32-and-two-eights-inch arm length with an 74-inch wingspan while repping 225 pounds 18 times on the bench press. He recorded a 36-inch vertical, nine-foot, four-inch broad jump, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.64, shuttle 4.50 and three-cone 6.90."
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

I posted these 2 comments on the CFL forum but maybe they are better off here.

From the perspective of an Eskimo fan, this is what I think our situation is.

1 - Offensive line - We have invested in Beard and O'Donnell, both of whom I think are committed to Edmonton and have many good years ahead of them. Same with Ruby to a lesser extent. Saxelid and Roy give us 2 young guys with valuable starting experience. There is no room for more Canadian linemen on the active roster so if we draft a lineman, they need to be either
    A - Be good enough to play now and potentially knock off one of the 5 we have or
    B - Be taken with a lower pick where they are easier to stash on the practice roster.
    C - Be a guy that will not come over right away
    I would accept us taking O'Donnell if they believe that there is a good chance he will not make an NFL team as I think he fits A and maybe C.

2 - I see receivers the same way. We have 9 Canadian receivers, 4 with lots of experience and only 1 (Parker) over 28. If we are not picking a guy that we see with starting potential in the first 2 years, I do not want to see a pick in the first 3 rounds used.

3 - I say no to QB's or kickers.

4 - Running backs and Fullbacks - I am OK with taking any running backs or full backs if we are not reaching since they will be special teams cotributors and we don't have anyone that cannot be replaced in those positions.

Defense is where I would like to see most of our focus. As I see guys with at least starting rotation potential and I see positions with little or no competition. I also feel that these players could be immediate special teamers.

5 - Linebackers - I would like to see linebackers taken if we don't reach as all we have is 1 deep backup and good special teamer.
    A - Sign me up for Jordan Williams with pick #4 if he is available
    B - Round 2, 3, 4 I am good with anyone that has a real chance to develop beyond special teams (Auclair, Cassar and maybe Feltmate)

6 - Defensive line seems to be a position where we could be starting 2 and maybe even 3 Canadians. These are rotational positions and special teams positions so we could justify dressing 7 players of which 4-5 should be Canadians. We have Boateng and Betts as locks. Charles and Machibroda look to have rotation potential and Mackie is a good #5. Lachance is also an intriguing project. I like the idea of Bennett or Hoecht with #4 as I see them having immediate rotation potential. I am not as high on Adeyemi, Lawson and others so I would only like to see them picked if they fall past their value.

7 - Defensive backs are a spot where I think jems can be found late. We have a good veteran safety in Gabriel but he is getting older. I think Onyeka is a serviceable Canadian DB but I am not yet comfortable with him as a full time starter. I would be OK with Duquoy at #4, Auclair or Hallett in the second round and maybe Katsantonis in the 3rd. I definately want to see some DB's picked with late round picks.

I will include my picks in the next post.

Thanks for reading,

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I would be happy with.

#4 & #13
    A - Jordan Williams - Very athletic, immediate special teams, position of need, valuable as a back up linebacker (takes a spot that otherwise would need an american)
    B - Mason Bennett - There is an immediate rotation spot available, hits hard, immediate special teams, both I believe both Betts and Boateng are free agents end ofthe year.
    C - Carter O'Donnell - Local boy, future 10 year starter at OT, probably not avaiable, some NFL risk
    D - Marc Duquoy - Very athletic, Immediate special teams, raw and unlikely to start year one but could become a ratio breaker at corner or an All star safety within a year or 2.
    E - Michael Hoecht - Very athletic, Immediate special teams, no immediate need with Charles and Machibroda around and probably not a first year starter, but low risk and uncommon speed
    F - Tomas Jack-Kurdyla - not a position of need but very high floor, no special teams role, does not add much immediately, probably not available at #13
    G - Adam Auclair - Immediate special teams, versatile (may be only Canadian who could fill in a SAM), Very athletic and hits hard but a little slower.
    H - Isaac Adeyemi-Berglund - Not a big downgrade from Bennett but I do not love his tackling/hitting
    I - Dejon Brissett - Don't love this pick but worth a shot at #13, best receiver in the draft and long term starting potential
    J - Noah Hallett - A smaller, quicker Adam Auclair. I think he is under rated right now
    K - Trivel Pinto - A bit of a wild card but just the kind of receiver I would go for if you are going to pick here with a lower floor but higher ceiling.
    L - Jack Cassar - If he were faster, I would have him 5 or 6 spots higher. Without a combine, it is hard for me to judge how much impact his lack of speed will have
    M - Matt McConnell - Good looking athlete who hits and runs well. Will drop because of his 2 year suspension, but he looks like a player

#24 - At this spot , unless someone drops, I would look at a couple of flyers or at some solid O'Linemen if they drop
    - Andrew Becker - Reminds me of a young David Beard when they drafted him.
    - Chris Gangarossa - Has the size and mean steak you like to see.
    - Liam O'Brien - Big FB converted from QB, great hands
    - Kayden Johnson - Big running back with tons of speed
    - Stavros Katsantonis - Not big or fast but great ball sense and closes well, will drop due to suspension
    - Bailey Feltmate - Tackling machine from a weak conference (no tape available for me to really grade him)
    - Malik Tyne - Very raw, very athletic converted basketball player

#41 - This is a Chase Claypool or Neville Gallimore spot for me unless someone drops

#50 - Best defensive back left on the board

#57 - Best linebacker left on the board

vCash

At first glance, Mason Bennett looks like a really good option for our first round pick. There's a chance we start two Canadians on the defensive line between Betts, Charles, and Boateng so it would be nice to have a young option behind them to sub in. Then again, with the signings of Moore and Ceresna, we are stacked on the defensive line. Boateng, Ceresna, Moore, and Sewell are all legit starters (and potentially All-Stars in this league) and Betts and Charles could potentially be as well so our depth is pretty crazy. Has a CFL team ever had three potential ratio breakers on the defensive line like we have with Boateng, Betts, and Charles?

Given Cersena coming back, I was actually a little surprised we brought back Moore as well given he likely cost a lot of dollars. This might be a situation where we want to trade from an area of strength as I can't see us having enough playing time for all these guys.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
    At first glance, Mason Bennett looks like a really good option for our first round pick. There's a chance we start two Canadians on the defensive line between Betts, Charles, and Boateng so it would be nice to have a young option behind them to sub in. Then again, with the signings of Moore and Ceresna, we are stacked on the defensive line. Boateng, Ceresna, Moore, and Sewell are all legit starters (and potentially All-Stars in this league) and Betts and Charles could potentially be as well so our depth is pretty crazy. Has a CFL team ever had three potential ratio breakers on the defensive line like we have with Boateng, Betts, and Charles?

Given Cersena coming back, I was actually a little surprised we brought back Moore as well given he likely cost a lot of dollars. This might be a situation where we want to trade from an area of strength as I can't see us having enough playing time for all these guys.
    I would like to see us use Sewell as a designated Canadian then it would be a no brainers to go 2 Canadians on the D'Line.

vCash

I wonder if the Esks have approached Calgary about a trade? If Jordan Williams is going to be the #1 overall pick, we need a lot of help at Canadian LB. Why not take a shot?

Wildwest, check you PM's.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    I would take a look at drafting Nathan Rourke.

The information that I have read suggests that his game still needs some refinement but that he has a lot of potential.
    Problem with a Canadian QB is you need a backup thats Canadian too. Literally no incentive to have a Canadian at QB.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Problem with a Canadian QB is you need a backup thats Canadian too. Literally no incentive to have a Canadian at QB.
    Quite a few QB's have made the transition to receiver though and had more success than staying as a pivot though...
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

I wonder if the Esks have approached Calgary about a trade? If Jordan Williams is going to be the #1 overall pick, we need a lot of help at Canadian LB. Why not take a shot?

Wildwest, check you PM's.
    Why would we need help at Canadian linebacker? I anticipate us starting three out of Tuggle, Diggs, Santos-Knox, and Walker. Given that our starting linebackers are likely all imports, we'd only really be looking at Canadian linebackers for special teams, and Jordan Williams looks like he projects as more than just a special teamer.

We are actually looking really solid in terms of Canadian depth, and I can't see any obvious positions of "need." I think we can just draft whoever looks to be the best player, and not stress. If Carter O'Donnell falls and we feel he won't last in the NFL, he might even be a really good option given we can afford to wait a few years.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
    Why would we need help at Canadian linebacker? I anticipate us starting three out of Tuggle, Diggs, Santos-Knox, and Walker. Given that our starting linebackers are likely all imports, we'd only really be looking at Canadian linebackers for special teams, and Jordan Williams looks like he projects as more than just a special teamer.

We are actually looking really solid in terms of Canadian depth, and I can't see any obvious positions of "need." I think we can just draft whoever looks to be the best player, and not stress. If Carter O'Donnell falls and we feel he won't last in the NFL, he might even be a really good option given we can afford to wait a few years.
    Pretty much every pundit out there has said our Canadian LB's are weak and that should be a position we go after. And Tuggle is in his 30's. He isn't a long-term answer. You get Williams, he plays specials for a year and fills in on D and then when he's ready to step in, he's good to go and you change the ratio.

It's a no-brainer.

vCash

Pretty much every pundit out there has said our Canadian LB's are weak and that should be a position we go after. And Tuggle is in his 30's. He isn't a long-term answer. You get Williams, he plays specials for a year and fills in on D and then when he's ready to step in, he's good to go and you change the ratio.

It's a no-brainer.
    no doubt we are weak at Canadian LB as that isn't an area we are currently using a national spot for, doesn't mean we should given up assets in a trade with Calgary to fill that void. If he falls to us, I won't be disappointed if we take him but I would far rather us grab another O'Donnell if we were to trade up.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    no doubt we are weak at Canadian LB as that isn't an area we are currently using a national spot for, doesn't mean we should given up assets in a trade with Calgary to fill that void. If he falls to us, I won't be disappointed if we take him but I would far rather us grab another O'Donnell if we were to trade up.
    But to take him away from Calgary, who apparently wants him at #1, would be a good thing too.

I do agree. Depending what Calgary wants in the deal, you do it.

vCash

But to take him away from Calgary, who apparently wants him at #1, would be a good thing too.

I do agree. Depending what Calgary wants in the deal, you do it.
    If they really want him at 1, how much would you have to give them to get that pick? I would assume A LOT and I wouldn't be doing that just to block someone from getting a player.

vCash

I really hope the Esks do not use their #4 overall on a player who's signed with the NFL. They need to go get a guy with the #4 that can be in the line up. Not a guy who could be years away from being in the CFL if ever.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I really hope the Esks do not use their #4 overall on a player who's signed with the NFL. They need to go get a guy with the #4 that can be in the line up. Not a guy who could be years away from being in the CFL if ever.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2020/04/29/mock-2-0-new-name-no-1/

GM Brock Sunderland and his staff have done such a good job building national talent and depth that I could see the Esks using their second-straight 4th overall pick to capture even more talent to pair with Boateng and Betts. That group is already proficient and getting three top-end pass rushers on the field at once, or even in a healthy rotation is tough.

Ketel Asse has prototypical size and great footwork. His recognition and ability to react to rushers from any angle suggests he could play multiple positions in a moment of need and as we saw last year the Esks go as far as – a healthy – Trevor Harris can take them.