Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and Sports

vCash
    Blog Entries

Unfunny Coronavirus and Sports

Unfortunately, this probably deserves its own thread.
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Re: Coronavirus and Sports

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Interestingly the 2020 World Women's Curling Championship is still a go in Prince George.

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

vCash

As a Lethbridge Hurricanes season ticket holder, that Seattle ban is definitely concerning as both the Seattle Thunderbirds and Everett Silvertips are in that region with the ban.

The WHL doesn’t have a lucrative tv contract to fall back on(other then the Memorial Cup). I’m starting to think the playoffs which are scheduled to start March 27 will be cancelled.

I get the severity of the illness and know at the end of the day it’s about health and safety, but I would still be majorly disappointed if it got cancelled.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    As a Lethbridge Hurricanes season ticket holder, that Seattle ban is definitely concerning as both the Seattle Thunderbirds and Everett Silvertips are in that region with the ban.

The WHL doesn’t have a lucrative tv contract to fall back on(other then the Memorial Cup). I’m starting to think the playoffs which are scheduled to start March 27 will be cancelled.

I get the severity of the illness and know at the end of the day it’s about health and safety, but I would still be majorly disappointed if it got cancelled.

What you were eluding to in your post.

I am part of the management in the Medicine Hat Tigers venue, the Canalta Centre - and it's definitely hitting close to home.

vCash

CFL might have to make a decision that will affect the global combine. Some players from Italy, France and Japan on on invitee roster.

vCash
    Blog Entries

CBC reporting that NCAA March Madness in USA will be played without fans.

Forget empty arenas - not even sure that the Oilers will get to enjoy a playoff game at this rate.

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    CFL might have to make a decision that will affect the global combine. Some players from Italy, France and Japan on on invitee roster.
    Depending on how long this goes on we might have some empty arena games....which Toronto players will be used to.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

CFL proceeding with combines, issues protocols amid coronavirus concerns

https://3downnation.com/2020/03/11/c...irus-concerns/

vCash

I leave embedding tweets to the more tech savvy among us but it’s being reported that the NBA will announce tomorrow that they will be implementing the no fan measure in all of their cities.

Only a matter of time before the NHL would follow suit imo.

vCash

Over reaction batman. Everywhere.

Did they do this for Sars?

did they do this for Swine flu?

Did they do this for Bird flu?

Did they do this for Zika?

The media is whipping people up into a misinformed frenzy. The Flu is actually worse, has killed more people but why arent we worried? because we are accustom to it.

Just wash your ****ing hands don't snot on anyone and you feel ill stay the **** home. Oh, and STOP BUYING ALL THE ****ING TOILET PAPER.

vCash

The fact they didn't do this for those listed should be the first clue we are dealing with something unlike any other in our lifetime...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    The fact they didn't do this for those listed should be the first clue we are dealing with something unlike any other in our lifetime...
    No we aren't.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    No we aren't.
    According to....

#PizStrong

vCash

According to....
    the flu has/will infect more people and kill more people than coronavirus. So wheres all the fear mongering and BS for that ? Only difference is we've learned to accept the flu.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying coronavirus is a sham - its just like the flu. Don't go out if you feel sick, wash your hands, cough/sneeze on your sleeve and dont touch yourself with unclean hands...

vCash

In the span of real time 30 minutes:

NBA player tests positive and NBA suspends season indefinitely

Trump bans all air travel to/from US to Europe (UK excluded)

Tom Hanks and wife announce they tested positive

March 11 is the day this **** got real in North America (yes, it probably should’ve gotten real earlier). NHL will likely suspend, I can’t see any scenario where they keep playing after the NBA suspended.

What a day.

vCash

I'd rather be safe vs sorry with something like this. People are dying. I'm a middle aged man with previous respiratory issues. I'll trust science, not opinion.

vCash

March 11 is the day this **** got real in North America (yes, it probably should’ve gotten real earlier). NHL will likely suspend, I can’t see any scenario where they keep playing after the NBA suspended.

What a day.

Agree about the NHL will follow suit. Maybe MLB too.

I hope this dies down come Sept - i got places to go lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I'd rather be safe vs sorry with something like this. People are dying. I'm a middle aged man with previous respiratory issues. I'll trust science, not opinion.
    indeed...

Not saying people shouldnt be cautious especially if you have people in your circle with immune issues / or respiratory issues... I dont have such a situtation in my circle.. but I have hand sanitizer at work, in my vehicle that i take with me and I was my hands a **** ton.

vCash

Not saying people shouldnt be cautious especially if you have people in your circle with immune issues / or respiratory issues... I dont have such a situtation in my circle.. but I have hand sanitizer at work, in my vehicle that i take with me and I was my hands a **** ton.
    Well, I will give you credit; for someone who is less concerned than most, you are taking more basic, logical precautions than many out there. I hope you are right and it ends sooner vs later.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Well, I will give you credit; for someone who is less concerned than most, you are taking more basic, logical precautions than many out there. I hope you are right and it ends sooner vs later.
    I'm not an ******* I'm not concerned for my safety but for others... it takes afew mins to keep clean - least I can do if I happen to be in a location with someone infected

vCash

the flu has/will infect more people and kill more people than coronavirus. So wheres all the fear mongering and BS for that ? Only difference is we've learned to accept the flu.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying coronavirus is a sham - its just like the flu. Don't go out if you feel sick, wash your hands, cough/sneeze on your sleeve and dont touch yourself with unclean hands...
    The worry is not so much about it right now. It's the fact that spreading it around leads to a a far greater likelihood that it mutates into something much worse. Exactly what happened with the Spanish Flu and this likely originated in the same area the 1918 one did which did its worst damage in the Americas and Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

What a day.
    You missed the Dow cratering again...

#PizStrong

vCash

ya mutation would suck..... damn china.......

I'll be very unhappy if my vacas in Sept and Oct are cancelled..

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm supposed to have a trip to Nashville, TN in September for a music conference.

Bracing for the worst.

RIP Pizmo

vCash

The worry is not so much about it right now. It's the fact that spreading it around leads to a a far greater likelihood that it mutates into something much worse. Exactly what happened with the Spanish Flu and this likely originated in the same area the 1918 one did which did its worst damage in the Americas and Europe.

That’s not true. Respiratory viruses don’t all of a sudden mutate & become airborne like you see in the movies. You can see resistance develop to antivirals, but coronavirus isn’t like influenza in that it doesn’t currently have any approved antiviral though there are some under investigation & others used off-label. Also influenza virus is different & unique in terms of how it re-assorts & creates new strains that cause pandemics.

The concern is that:
    1. Unrecognized disease cannot be controlled & therefore spreads further & control becomes even more difficult. Once you have uncontrolled community transmission, you are hooped. Early detection is so important.
    2. The more cases you have, the greater stress it puts on the health care system. In addition, more health care workers will get infected or be exposed significantly enough to not be able to work due to self-isolation requirements & there’s not enough of them which further stresses the system — all of which creates a ripe environment for more efficient spread.
    3. Where there is higher numbers of illness, there is greater proportion of severe illness & bad outcomes (compare Wuhan with rest of China).

What’s that saying? Ounce of prevention=pound of cure?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    I'm supposed to have a trip to Nashville, TN in September for a music conference.

Bracing for the worst.
    You should cancel. The US numbers are fake. Severe under-reporting due to lack of testing. Unrecognized &/or unconfirmed illness therefore no control measures & follow up of contacts. Essentially the entire country is a huge outbreak. Stay away.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 03-11-2020 at 11:32 PM.

vCash

I think he is already living in the states.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I think he is already living in the states.
    You got it.

RIP Pizmo

vCash
    Blog Entries

Here's a thoughtful article that really breaks this down well: https://talbotspy.org/letter-from-to...wKE7n9mRET5gDU

Covid-19 is nowhere near over. It will be coming to a city, a hospital, a friend, even a family member near you at some point. Expect it. Stop waiting to be surprised further. The fact is the virus itself will not likely do much harm when it arrives. But our own behaviors and “fight for yourself above all else” attitude could prove disastrous.

I implore you all. Temper fear with reason, panic with patience and uncertainty with education. We have an opportunity to learn a great deal about health hygiene and limiting the spread of innumerable transmissible diseases in our society. Let’s meet this challenge together in the best spirit of compassion for others, patience, and above all, an unfailing effort to seek truth, facts and knowledge as opposed to conjecture, speculation and catastrophizing.

Facts not fear. Clean hands. Open hearts.

Our children will thank us for it.

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    That’s not true. Respiratory viruses don’t all of a sudden mutate & become airborne like you see in the movies. You can see resistance develop to antivirals, but coronavirus isn’t like influenza in that it doesn’t currently have any approved antiviral though there are some under investigation & others used off-label. Also influenza virus is different & unique in terms of how it re-assorts & creates new strains that cause pandemics.

The concern is that:
    1. Unrecognized disease cannot be controlled & therefore spreads further & control becomes even more difficult. Once you have uncontrolled community transmission, you are hooped. Early detection is so important.
    2. The more cases you have, the greater stress it puts on the health care system. In addition, more health care workers will get infected or be exposed significantly enough to not be able to work due to self-isolation requirements & there’s not enough of them which further stresses the system — all of which creates a ripe environment for more efficient spread.
    3. Where there is higher numbers of illness, there is greater proportion of severe illness & bad outcomes (compare Wuhan with rest of China).

What’s that saying? Ounce of prevention=pound of cure?

- - - Updated - - -
    Well its thought this virus has already mutated once and possibly twice. It's a single genome and those can mutate quickly. And its when it hits new continents when a mutation has a much greater chance to so I am unsure why you say it's not true.

As for the rest....that is all a worry. Especially infecting health care workers. It's crazy as I was watching a doc on pandemics on Netflix right before coronavirus hit and it's a bit freaky how accurate what they said could happen with a global pandemic has essentially played out so far.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post

Bracing for the worst.
    I have a whole California vaca planned in Sept. - Disney, universal, dodgers game, Rammstein Concert, then down to san diego for a few days then vegas

Then Mexico in Oct/Nov.

I'll be pissed if those are toast.