Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Coronavirus and Sports

vCash

Re: Coronavirus and Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Fair enough. But they know that young and fit people have a far lower mortality rate than the rest of the population. It is much more dangerous for those over 60. In fact, most deaths have been 60+ and those with a pre-existing condition.
    Yes. I know. Thank you.
    Most but not all. 20% of deaths below age 60 is still a lot. PLUS underlying co-morbidities are not a pre-requisite.
    Otherwise healthy young people are dying from COVID-19. Not enough is known yet about immune system factors & genetic factors which may predispose to a bad outcome, and that makes it scarier.
    In the end, sports leagues - esp NFL, NBA & MLB - are modern day colonialism. NHL a little different given demographic, but if the league really cared about the players, they would be on hiatus until a vaccine is properly trial-ed & available.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Yes. I know. Thank you.
    Most but not all. 20% of deaths below age 60 is still a lot. PLUS underlying co-morbidities are not a pre-requisite.
    Otherwise healthy young people are dying from COVID-19. Not enough is known yet about immune system factors & genetic factors which may predispose to a bad outcome, and that makes it scarier.
    In the end, sports leagues - esp NFL, NBA & MLB - are modern day colonialism. NHL a little different given demographic, but if the league really cared about the players, they would be on hiatus until a vaccine is properly trial-ed & available.
    Colonialism? Mate, you missed your calling. Should have been in stand up.

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Dutch FA plans to declare season over - official
    ...The Dutch football federation (KNVB) announced on Tuesday its intention to call an end to the season, subject to discussions with UEFA, following the government's decision to extend a ban on large gatherings until September due to the coronavirus pandemic.

"The professional football committee intends to not continue to play the 2019/20 competition. The KNVB will consult UEFA, after which a decision will be taken," the federation said in a statement.

Clubs and other stakeholders will meet Friday to discuss the issue.

According to the KNVB, matches behind closed doors will not be possible as they are considered events which require a permit and police presence.

"There will be no matches before 1 September ," the statement added...
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    They can drink away their sorrows with this special brew
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

vCash

Bundesliga starts play in front of no fans this weekend.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Canadian/US Border closed for another 30 days...https://3downnation.com/2020/05/19/p...rough-june-21/
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I was so desperate for sports I watched the whole madden tournament..
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Earlier this week the Western Canadian Baseball League (WCBL) and Canadian Lacrosse Association (CLA) cancelled their respective seasons.

I'd like to get off this ride now.

https://edmontonsportsfans.ca/2020/0...-and-lacrosse/

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Ugh, I have to think this is bad news for all sports.

vCash

Doesn’t matter if it’s individual or team sport.
    Golf & tennis because people are touching common items without cleaning their hands Every. Single. Time.
    At least they're not wearing gloves .... but that’s a whole other thread.

vCash

I guess we can either have sports and more people get COVID or not have sports and fewer people get it. Considering that lockdowns are not possible for the second wave, and there are huge swaths of the population that are at very low risk of dying from it there has to be a better way forward that takes all of this into account.

vCash

I guess we can either have sports and more people get COVID or not have sports and fewer people get it. Considering that lockdowns are not possible for the second wave, and there are huge swaths of the population that are at very low risk of dying from it there has to be a better way forward that takes all of this into account.
    I guess I disagree that death is the only poor outcome that matters. We know from SARS & H1N1 - and learning with COVID - that in those that don’t die there are changes in lung function for the worse (in all the different physiological & practical ways you can measure that), increased disability & worse quality of life. Those things matter too.

In theory, all the different relaunches could work & I’m not against slow & structured relaunches. The problem is that nobody seems to be interested in following the basic preventive practices (compulsively clean your hands, physical distancing, wear a mask to protect others). They’re the pandemic equivalent to eating healthy, exercising, drinking enough water & getting enough sleep.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    I guess I disagree that death is the only poor outcome that matters. We know from SARS & H1N1 - and learning with COVID - that in those that don’t die there are changes in lung function for the worse (in all the different physiological & practical ways you can measure that), increased disability & worse quality of life. Those things matter too.

In theory, all the different relaunches could work & I’m not against slow & structured relaunches. The problem is that nobody seems to be interested in following the basic preventive practices (compulsively clean your hands, physical distancing, wear a mask to protect others). They’re the pandemic equivalent to eating healthy, exercising, drinking enough water & getting enough sleep.
    You're right. And there is still a lot we don't know about COVID-19. But, I assume at some point I will get it. The point of "flattening the curve" wasn't to ensure that nobody got it. It was to ensure that we didn't all get it at once.

You're also right in that it is shocking how few people in the grocery store I see wearing masks. I always wear one and always feel distinctly outnumbered.

vCash

You're right. And there is still a lot we don't know about COVID-19. But, I assume at some point I will get it. The point of "flattening the curve" wasn't to ensure that nobody got it. It was to ensure that we didn't all get it at once.

You're also right in that it is shocking how few people in the grocery store I see wearing masks. I always wear one and always feel distinctly outnumbered.
    My wife told me I should keep wearing my mask even after the pandemic...I cried a bit
    In Rod we trust

vCash

vCash

If I was a player, I would opt out.

vCash

We are still at 6 people dead with zero comorbidities in Alberta. Two people have died in Alberta under the age of 40. One of them had at least two comorbidity issues.

Alberta has decent statistical data available to the public. Since Jason Kenney is the leader of the province we know that the issue has been handled as poorly as say New York state. The risk to elite athletes with zero contributing health issues is likely extremely low. At the same time NFL players careers are pretty short. Opting out could mean losing a third of your career and a third of your NFL pay.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    We are still at 6 people dead with zero comorbidities in Alberta. Two people have died in Alberta under the age of 40. One of them had at least two comorbidity issues.

Alberta has decent statistical data available to the public. Since Jason Kenney is the leader of the province we know that the issue has been handled as poorly as say New York state. The risk to elite athletes with zero contributing health issues is likely extremely low. At the same time NFL players careers are pretty short. Opting out could mean losing a third of your career and a third of your NFL pay.
    Yeah, good point. I think if I was coming to Edmonton to play hockey, I'd be more inclined to stick it out versus sitting out the season. The spiking numbers in many markets of the US would concern me as an athlete playing down there. I am sure each league will be closely watching the others.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    My wife told me I should keep wearing my mask even after the pandemic...I cried a bit
    I think mask wearing will become normalized. In Asia, they are common, whenever you are sick with a cold or whatever, you wear one, it's just courtesy. I have a bunch of custom ones on order, including a leather Mad Max-style one. If that doesn't keep people socially distanced from me, I don't know what will.

vCash

I don't agree with this - it certainly will hurt opportunities for football players in this group.

- - - Updated - - -