Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 118 of 118

Thread: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

  1. #91
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,490
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    274

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

    News outlets reporting that NY is starting to flatten their curve. Also, amusement parks in Japan and China have reopened.

    Every little piece of good news counts.
    Don't know if China and Japan opening up parks and theaters is such a good idea yet. Just seems "soon"? The states...well that's a whole other story. There are still Governors that won't mandate a stay-home order! I mean...what the actual f*ck are they thinking? Maybe I'm cold and callous, but if I were POTUS, I would say if you're not doing what you need to help flatten the curve, don't expect as much help (federally) as the states that do comply. Bet the people would make it known toot sweet (I know that's not how it's spelled) that they want to stay home if it means Grampa gets on a vent! But, their president is an underachieving assclown that would rather push drugs he hold stocks in than help his fellow Americans. That's another story though.

    In other Covid news, so far (knock on wood) nobody I know or is related to has come down with it, including quite a few doctors and nurses on the front lines. Here in Spruce it's weird...some days it's like a scene out of Night of the Comet, with no traffic, nobody walking, no dogs barking...other times it's like there wasn't a stay home order and everything is fine. Save On Foods still has clerks without masks or gloves while Superstore has a station as soon as you walk in where they sanitize your hands and your cart for you. Or Walmart that has a one way track so to speak. You enter through one door, follow the lines on the floor to the grocery section and then zig zag your way through. No back tracking though!
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,926
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    378

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Someone I know just passed away from COVID-19. Suddenly it's become a lot more real.

    https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/me...3-days/786461/
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,659
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1847

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Someone I know just passed away from COVID-19. Suddenly it's become a lot more real.

    https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/me...3-days/786461/
    So sorry to hear that. Sincere condolences.
    Stay safe everybody. Take all those extra precautions.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,659
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1847

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us



    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  5. #95
    Steve Vale's Avatar
    Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    Posts
    7,378
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    148

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Saw this analogy this morning

    Why WTI Crude traded at -$40...

    Imagine the following...you pay $500 today and commit to receiving an escort at your house in fifteen days, because your girlfriend will then be traveling...

    Unfortunately, quarantine came and your girlfriend will be home for the next 3 months...

    Like all girlfriends from all over the world...

    You do not want this woman to show up at your house at all and try to pass this future contract to someone...

    Only you cannot sell this commitment because nobody can receive the escort at home anymore. Everyone is with their respective girlfriends. To make matters worse, not even the pimp has more room to receive girls because his house is crowded with other call girls.

    Do you understand why oil may have a negative price when the contract is delivered?
    Last edited by Steve Vale; 04-25-2020 at 02:51 PM.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,659
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1847

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  7. #97
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,490
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    274

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    So let's hear some positives that have come out of the quarantine so far... I know a lot of people (myself included) have been going stir-crazy being at home with the fam 24/7 for the last six weeks. BUT, at least some good has come out of it.
    - Stopped smoking cigarettes. Not a one since March 20th and no cravings yet!! (Still have my daily weed though)
    - Made the not drinking a little easier since we're not entertaining or going to get-togethers anymore. Been dry since Christmas Eve!!
    - Have lost 20lbs. and eating a LOT better than when I was actually at work (and not working from home) since I don't have the cafeteria to fall back on when I don't bring a lunch. Less Sixbucks lattes seems to have helped as well.
    - Not spending as much on gas!! Hell, my truck has moved...maybe...once a week since this began and two of those times were to take the mutts to the vet for their annual shots.
    - Lots of little projects we've been putting off around the house and yard are getting done. I suspect everyone's gardens and lawns are going to look fantastic this year since everyone has the time to put into pulling the weeds and making sure they're watered and fertilized enough.
    - The dogs are getting lots of running done in a friend's pasture! They get to play and run and swim and go crazy every day and are not tearing the house apart looking for something to do. The kid is the same... He's spent more time outside playing with the dogs the last six weeks than he has in the last three years! (It helps that there are two dogs now so they can tackle each other instead of him too though!)

    It's not all doom and gloom out there. We got this people. Stay safe and no licking each other!
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    3,141
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    136

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    After extensive research, was determined all started in Edmonton ....
    SCVIEW504146.jpg

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,659
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1847

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/3-edmont...d-19-1.4993779

    EDMONTON -- Three Edmonton restaurants have temporarily closed because of COVID-19.
    Greta Bar YEG closed Thursday to undergo extensive cleaning this weekend after a customer was found to have the virus.
    Earls Tin Palace is also closed after an employee tested positive. The restaurant is scheduled to reopen Tuesday.
    CTV News has also learned that MKT Fresh Food and Beer Market in Old Strathcona has also closed because a staff member has tested positive for COVID-19.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,648
    vCash
    625
    Rep Power
    352

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/3-edmont...d-19-1.4993779

    EDMONTON -- Three Edmonton restaurants have temporarily closed because of COVID-19.
    Greta Bar YEG closed Thursday to undergo extensive cleaning this weekend after a customer was found to have the virus.
    Earls Tin Palace is also closed after an employee tested positive. The restaurant is scheduled to reopen Tuesday.
    CTV News has also learned that MKT Fresh Food and Beer Market in Old Strathcona has also closed because a staff member has tested positive for COVID-19.
    The Pint downtown has also closed due to COVID, with two asymptomatic employees having tested positive.
    #PizStrong

    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,722
    vCash
    3657
    Rep Power
    317

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    And Round 2 .....

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park
    Posts
    4,966
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    138

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    What were the results of Round One in Alberta?

    153 Total deaths with 7781 recorded cases in a population of 4.4 million people.

    5 deaths of people under 60 years of age.

    6 deaths of people who had zero comorbidity factors.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    vCash
    21432
    Rep Power
    218

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    What were the results of Round One in Alberta?

    153 Total deaths with 7781 recorded cases in a population of 4.4 million people.

    5 deaths of people under 60 years of age.

    6 deaths of people who had zero comorbidity factors.
    0 deaths would have been nice, but all things considered, I think this measures up well against many jurisdictions. Alberta hasn't been perfect, but they handled it well. My only concern right now is because they handled this well, I think too many have moved into the "it's just a flu" camp and aren't going to take it seriously.

    Now to me, taking it seriously isn't necessarily going as far as we did in round 1, but reasonable care and caution should still be taken.

    My folks were in Emergency Monday night, and the number of visitors in the hospital including full families with pizzas and young being transported in wagons was astonishing. You'd think at least at the hospitals, where people are most vulnerable, reopening should be allowing a visitor or two at a time with strict entrance protocols, not a free for all. Including dude puking in the bathroom every fifteen minutes and no one coming to clean it over a 7 hour stretch.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,995
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    The low numbers might suggest, to some, that the lockdown was excessive. However, others, including me, believe that the numbers are low BECAUSE of the measures that were taken.

    However, it will not be possible to lock things down again when the second wave hits. Nobody under 20 has died in Alberta. Between ages 20 and 50 the rate is 0.1%. But...between 70-79 it rises to over 20% and over 30% for those over 80. So, we will need to protect seniors and those with pre-existing conditions. That will be the only way forward.

    As it stands our economy cannot withstand another lockdown and the federal government, which is going to run a deficit for 2020-21 of $252 Billion leading to a 44% debt to GDP, up from 30%, cannot afford to keep CERB CEWS and other benefits going into the fall.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,659
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1847

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    The low numbers might suggest, to some, that the lockdown was excessive. However, others, including me, believe that the numbers are low BECAUSE of the measures that were taken.

    However, it will not be possible to lock things down again when the second wave hits. Nobody under 20 has died in Alberta. Between ages 20 and 50 the rate is 0.1%. But...between 70-79 it rises to over 20% and over 30% for those over 80. So, we will need to protect seniors and those with pre-existing conditions. That will be the only way forward.

    As it stands our economy cannot withstand another lockdown and the federal government, which is going to run a deficit for 2020-21 of $252 Billion leading to a 44% debt to GDP, up from 30%, cannot afford to keep CERB CEWS and other benefits going into the fall.
    Yeah, a lot of businesses won't survive the first lockdown; I think there are estimateds that 20% of retailers won't recover. Going another round for a few months will be devestating. I think we all have to do what we can to stay safe by wearing masks when we are out and scrubbing those hands regularly. Let's hope that advancements on a vaccine are made in expedited fashion.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  16. #106
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,270
    vCash
    21532
    Rep Power
    335

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Yeah, a lot of businesses won't survive the first lockdown; I think there are estimateds that 20% of retailers won't recover. Going another round for a few months will be devestating. I think we all have to do what we can to stay safe by wearing masks when we are out and scrubbing those hands regularly. Let's hope that advancements on a vaccine are made in expedited fashion.
    Dr Fauci is optimistic on it I saw that and i'm highly optimistic on the vaccine being worked on by Oxford so maybe 2021 won't be a raging dumpster fire after all

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    The low numbers might suggest, to some, that the lockdown was excessive. However, others, including me, believe that the numbers are low BECAUSE of the measures that were taken.

    However, it will not be possible to lock things down again when the second wave hits. Nobody under 20 has died in Alberta. Between ages 20 and 50 the rate is 0.1%. But...between 70-79 it rises to over 20% and over 30% for those over 80. So, we will need to protect seniors and those with pre-existing conditions. That will be the only way forward.

    As it stands our economy cannot withstand another lockdown and the federal government, which is going to run a deficit for 2020-21 of $252 Billion leading to a 44% debt to GDP, up from 30%, cannot afford to keep CERB CEWS and other benefits going into the fall.
    100% agree on that
    In Rod we trust

  17. #107
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,995
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Dr Fauci is optimistic on it I saw that and i'm highly optimistic on the vaccine being worked on by Oxford so maybe 2021 won't be a raging dumpster fire after all

    - - - Updated - - -



    100% agree on that
    Not only that, but Trudeau now needs an exit strategy from CERB, CEWS and all the other programs he brought in. He was right to do so, but a well communicated plan is now needed because COVID isn't over and we can't continue with those programs much longer.

  18. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,995
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    My question now is: With numbers on the rise again in Alberta, why the hell hasn't the government made mask-wearing mandatory?

  19. #109
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22,260
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    86

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    My question now is: With numbers on the rise again in Alberta, why the hell hasn't the government made mask-wearing mandatory?
    It should be coming. It also should be for all of Canada.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

  20. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22,260
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    86

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but has anyone heard from people that have had the virus and recovered? Is it like most other viruses, once you've had it, are you immune?
    On another note, the TW was officially laid off starting today so while I'm still working (barely) she'll be home with the little man full time and I have a feeling we're going to drive each other crazy... Has anyone else had tensions come up? Am I the only one that is losing weight? Are they going to stream Black Widow? How many others have done more home improvement/renovation projects in the last two weeks than the last two years? Anyone? No? Just me??
    The thinking now is, "yes" people who have been exposed to covid may have some immunity. Recovered people are also still testing positive in some cases.

    I know three people who had covid. All three are Americans. One passed away, the other two are husband/wife healthcare workers in Cleveland. Both have recovered but both are still ill. There are lingering effects.

    Although you don't want to go out and catch covid to gain immunity. What has not been mentioned in the news and will be a story at a later date is the trauma that a persons lungs has once exposed to covid. Everyone who has had covid has some level of lung trauma that remains with them, which in many cases will effect them the rest of their lives.

    I care for two AHS facilities that make radioisotopes for diagnostic imaging and for cancer treatment. We produce for all of Alberta, private and government. During this crisis we have shifted to products that mainly target the lungs.

    For those who support private health, we make one radioisotope for a very effective cancer treatment. We have 2,500 people in this trial (higher numbers than normal). Normally Clinical Trials are in the 200 range, but due to this treatment being so effective HC permitted these numbers. These patients were out of work for years their cancer was so deliberating. They were confined to their homes. One dose per year of this particular radioisotope is all it takes for these people to return to normal lives. Each batch we make is $2,400 Cdn and contains four doses. In Europe a similar treatment is available privately. The cost there for one dose is 44,000 Euro.

    It is heartbreaking to read the hardships that some of you have gone through. I have been fortunate, my wife and I have worked through this. My wife is an emergency room nurse at the RA and she has seen some scary stuff. If this got out of hand she had been asked to re-deploy to ICU, as that is where she has worked most of her career. At first she was hesitant to do this, but as she thought about it she considered she would likely be safer there than in emergency. At least in ICU you know what type of patient is coming through the door as they are pre-diagnosed. And in ICU they will have the proper PPE.

    I've missed you guys, times have been busy. It is very encouraging to see that all of you have kept your values.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

  21. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,270
    vCash
    21532
    Rep Power
    335

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    My question now is: With numbers on the rise again in Alberta, why the hell hasn't the government made mask-wearing mandatory?
    My wife says mask wearing is mandatory for me at all times....she's so mean.
    I actually think mask wearing should be mandatory across the country. I mean we wear condoms to keep from getting AIDS, it's the same principal...only when you're covered up is it safe to come inside.
    In Rod we trust

  22. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,890
    vCash
    1462
    Rep Power
    277

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    I don't mind giving the UCP a hard time but I do think they have done a pretty good job on Covid. And they were lucky they watched and followed what BC did which was huge. I really worry where we could have been with Dr. Hinshaw at the helm to be honest...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  23. #113
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,995
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I don't mind giving the UCP a hard time but I do think they have done a pretty good job on Covid. And they were lucky they watched and followed what BC did which was huge. I really worry where we could have been with Dr. Hinshaw at the helm to be honest...
    You mean you worry where we would have been without Hinshaw? I think that's what you meant to say. She has done an excellent job, as has BC's Dr. Henry.

  24. #114
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,659
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1847

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Today is my first day back to work since March 20th. I've appreciated the support I've gotten from different levels of government - not just help with the bills, but by making decisions that have helped keep numbers low so that many of us can slowly get back into the cautious work force. I've been blessed that I've stayed healthy through all of this and am taking extra precautions now that I am interacting with more people than I am used to. I am in my fifties, overweight, with prior respiration and immune issues so I roll the dice every time I step out there. More than most, it's not a choice for me, it's a necessity.

    I'd rather be working than sitting at home watching baseball replays, even if my finances were covered the past few month. Hopefully we continue to be cautious and more of us can get back to work without swelling the numbers. I guess I'll be posting a lot less in the next little while. I want to dig in and do everything I can to get the business I work in profitable and functional. I'll still be around here enough to ruffle a few feathers though (especially in the political discussions)

    Continue to stay safe everybody. Wear masks when you can, keep the distance. Take care of each other. And be kind.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  25. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,270
    vCash
    21532
    Rep Power
    335

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Today is my first day back to work since March 20th. I've appreciated the support I've gotten from different levels of government - not just help with the bills, but by making decisions that have helped keep numbers low so that many of us can slowly get back into the cautious work force. I've been blessed that I've stayed healthy through all of this and am taking extra precautions now that I am interacting with more people than I am used to. I am in my fifties, overweight, with prior respiration and immune issues so I roll the dice every time I step out there. More than most, it's not a choice for me, it's a necessity.

    I'd rather be working than sitting at home watching baseball replays, even if my finances were covered the past few month. Hopefully we continue to be cautious and more of us can get back to work without swelling the numbers. I guess I'll be posting a lot less in the next little while. I want to dig in and do everything I can to get the business I work in profitable and functional. I'll still be around here enough to ruffle a few feathers though (especially in the political discussions)

    Continue to stay safe everybody. Wear masks when you can, keep the distance. Take care of each other. And be kind.
    Be safe Hugo and good luck returning to your job as an adult film star
    In Rod we trust

  26. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,659
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1847

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  27. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,995
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

    Excellent choice by ECC. Not shocked by the dissenters. Should have been done by the province weeks ago, though!

  28. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,659
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1847

    Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us



    This sign says it all.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •