Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

vCash

Re: coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting us

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Everyone doing alright? physically as well as mental health wise?
    I got laid off yesterday. Can't blame my boss - working as a wholesale/manufacturer of goods geared toward the tourism industry, we saw 80% of our spring orders get cancelled and most of the others said they couldn't pay for them until summer. I guess this gives me the opportunity to voluntarily self-isolate.

I did the last of my grocery runs this morning at 5 AM as my local Thrifty's store is open 24-7. I am stocked well enough to lay low for a few weeks if needed. I know some of my friends think I am over-reacting, but after seeing the casual way some people are approaching all this, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Maybe getting laid off is a blessing right now - we'll find out. I have a good relationship with my boss (been working together over 12 years) and I know he plans on bringing me back as soon as he can provided the business weathers the storm.

I'm hoping I don't experience any upcoming physical health issues, but I'm sure my mental health will be given a run for the money. I think the biggest challenge for me is that I am living on my own and lacking direct emotional support. Thank god (or whoever) for things like facetime and other forms of digital social interaction. When this is all over and it is safe, I will be hugging a lot of loved ones.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Aside from still dealing with PCS I'm healthy as a horse! Old school me is thinking go out and get sick so you can build up the immunity and go on with life like chicken pox or mumps... Still believe if the flu (and yes I know it's not a flu) is gonna kill me then so be it. Worse things have tried and failed!
    Mentally, it's weird that I don't go out and about that often to begin with but I've found myself needing to go for a drive once a day just to make sure the world is still there! We have lots of food and toilet paper, the kid has his lesson plan from the teacher and I've been doing other lessons with him like how to change the oil in the truck and stuff like that.

- - - Updated - - -

The TW and I cancelled our WoW and Disney+ subscriptions a couple months early it seems!!! My parents in Yuma still think it will all blow over in a week or so...no plans to come home until mid to late April.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    This is messed right up. My life changes since October 30th:

1. Wife left me on October 31st (no sympathy required, much worse things can happen in life)
    2. Moved back to AB without my kids as I let them decide where they wanted to go.
    3. Put my BC home on the market to sell
    4. Moved back in with my parents for now (can't afford 2 homes as wife doesn't work much)
    5. Both my boys moved back to AB with me
    6. Sold my building that my company operates out of
    7. AND the unbelievable world shut down has happened.

On October 30th, If someone would have told me this is where I would be today, I would have called them crazy.
    Holy shytesnacks! That's a lot to deal with at once. Hopefully you are happier single.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

It's not that I've gotten older, kids. Your music really DOES suck!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Holy shytesnacks! That's a lot to deal with at once. Hopefully you are happier single.
    Its all good, I'm a positive person by nature and will NEVER beg anyone to stay in my life. The fact that both of my kids chose to move back with me gave me all the validation I needed to push forward. Actually with all of the dating apps out there is not all that hard to find a date (before the world shut down)
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Its all good, I'm a positive person by nature and will NEVER beg anyone to stay in my life. The fact that both of my kids chose to move back with me gave me all the validation I needed to push forward. Actually with all of the dating apps out there is not all that hard to find a date (before the world shut down)
    Well, good luck to you, mate. And remember...no raw doggin' it.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Old school me is thinking go out and get sick so you can build up the immunity and go on with life like chicken pox or mumps... Still believe if the flu (and yes I know it's not a flu) is gonna kill me then so be it. .
    The problem starts if you get really sick and require hospitalization. Then you are taking up resources.

That's what this self isolation is all about. It is about keeping the health system from crashing.

If you go willingly get sick, then you are willingly spreading it to others you come into contact with. Even if you are affected mildly, it may affect others severely. You can spread without knowing it.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    The problem starts if you get really sick and require hospitalization. Then you are taking up resources.

That's what this self isolation is all about. It is about keeping the health system from crashing.

If you go willingly get sick, then you are willingly spreading it to others you come into contact with. Even if you are affected mildly, it may affect others severely. You can spread without knowing it.
    Yup yup... I'd never want to be the one that got everyone around me sick and/or caused death of someone. Hence I'm staying home and not interacting with anyone. The one time being a miserable b@st@rd pays off!!! It has shown me that I go to an office and sit there for days on end for absolutely no reason when I could be in my pj's working from home with the same productivity.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

I expect that wide receivers around the league next year will be in top form. Their job on the field is social distancing.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I expect that wide receivers around the league next year will be in top form. Their job on the field is social distancing.

vCash

My wife has made the tough decision to close her Dayhome at the end of the month. She hasnít been forced to close but she had one family terminate care and is expecting three more due to layoffs.

It felt like the end was coming either way so at least it will be on her terms instead of running out of kids or being closed by the government or due to illness.

Will find out in April what the emergency support fund will provide her (self employed so doesnít qualify for ei) as the government hasnít said what the payouts would look like or how they are calculated.

Still blows my mind that my entire family is at home for months now and not at preschool or work.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Definitely weird times... I read somewhere there hasn't been this kind of mass closures etc. since World War 2.

What sucks is when you're on a conference call and find out a company is shutting down before their own staff know...and not being able to say anything until it's official. So these people are working along like everything is fine only to find out they don't have to come in on Monday because their office is going to be closed for at least two weeks with a multi-month possibility... I'm lucky enough to be in a part of the industry that "works in the past" so to speak so all the turmoil that's hitting everyone else right now...won't be felt in my office for about four years. I'm still working but my job load is about half and my contract was JUST extended on Monday - so if we close down, I at least get half a year's severance. (checked it twice just to be sure) Not everyone is so lucky including the TW who is expecting her notice sometime next week. Wash your hands, don't lick anyone you shouldn't and for crying out loud quit hoarding toilet paper!!

vCash

This is messed right up. My life changes since October 30th:

1. Wife left me on October 31st (no sympathy required, much worse things can happen in life)
    2. Moved back to AB without my kids as I let them decide where they wanted to go.
    3. Put my BC home on the market to sell
    4. Moved back in with my parents for now (can't afford 2 homes as wife doesn't work much)
    5. Both my boys moved back to AB with me
    6. Sold my building that my company operates out of
    7. AND the unbelievable world shut down has happened.

On October 30th, If someone would have told me this is where I would be today, I would have called them crazy.
    that's definately a quagmire of suckitude, condolences friend at least on 7 we're all in that together

- - - Updated - - -

Remember some day in 2053 billy's ancestors will finally use the last of the tp they bought in 2020
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Ok, here’s my story, it gets quite personal but I feel it might do me some good to share it as I’m being weighed down really hard right now. I mentioned in an earlier post that I’m a frontline grocery store worker. To be more specific I manage a meat department at a smallish independent grocery store. Last Thursday was our last reasonably normal day, especially during the day and by the time I left after my regular 8 hours I had no clue what was coming. Now this was the day after the NBA suspended their season and the day that the NHL suspended theirs and I really do feel that was a huge part of the public tipping point to all of this. Well on this day our sales had close to doubled what a normal Thursday would be. We came into work and were all beaming about a great day of sales! Well all except 1 full time guy who was on a flight to Ontario for a well deserved holiday. Even at this point, we had no clue what was heading our way. The day started out fairly normal, we had some specialty items come in that I had to get dealt with and wasn’t really noticing the level of chaos happening right in front of me. After I got my stuff done and rejoined the cutting room, all hell has broken loose! We were absolutely blindsided by the publics response to this! We were running so hard to keep our counter in that it was mind boggling! Our sales were triple what we normally do, and we were now short a cutter to holidays. The next 4 days were the same, in which I’m thinking that people’s cupboards and freezers have got to be filling up and we’re going to have this thing crash down and crash down hard! No. I was wrong. Boy was I wrong! At that point it is still ramping up (I think word was getting out that we were in a pretty good position shelf stock wise.).

Wednesday morning dealt me another huge blow. My co-manager ended up having to pack it in because his wife has cystic fibrosis and they can’t risk having him bring this sucker home. If he does and passes it onto her she’d die plain and simple. So now while we are doing triple plus sales we are down 2 full time guys and our part time wrapper was sick with a cold and we had to tell her to stay home. I thank goodness I was able to talk an old coworker into coming out of retirement to give a hand because there is absolutely no way I could have handled this the past 2 days! As it is I’m averaging almost 12 hours a day this week when I’m used to working 8 pretty chill hours for 5 days a week. We’re still not seeing an end, even though I’m still thinking it will come crashing down.

Last night dealt us a hell of a curve ball as my wife, who had thought her job was kind of safe as she is a jack of all trades in the hotel she works in, but was told the only way to keep her job would be to take a 1 shift per week cut and to work 3-11pm. My head was spinning at this thought. I’m utterly exhausted from work in which I’m starting at 4am and working until 4:30-5pm. My first strong thought for my wife was keep your job at all costs. See if our babysitter can watch the kids and I’d pick them up when I get home. But then I started thinking, how much longer is my own situation going to last like this? I absolutely broke down in tears realizing that I wouldn’t be physically or mentally capable of being a proper dad to my 5 and 6 year old boys if I had to take care of them after work with my job being so draining right now. So as it turns out, they had to lay-off my wife so that she can keep our home life as normal as possible for the next bit anyways. Working where I do puts me at a pretty high risk for contracting the virus, so that means that for me it’s pretty much just work and home. Man I would not be able to forgive myself if I ever caught it and passed it on.

Thanks for reading my story on it, be safe and take care of yourselves.

vCash

Thank you for sharing eskfan152. Sending strength to you and your family to get through this. Also to your co-worker's wife and all those that are at higher risk because of health conditions. A lot of people are getting slammed hard right now. I'm hoping it doesn't get much worse, but I think it will.

My personal message to everyone is if you can find a way to stay isolated, do it. I know many people are more concerned about the economy then this virus. Life is precious. Take care of yourself, your loved ones, and everyone. Always the priority.

vCash

Wow, thanks for sharing your stories guys. Really puts a loss of a vaycay or simply working from home into perspective.
    Last edited by Uncle Bobby; 03-21-2020 at 08:49 AM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I've never seen anything like this. My clients are all ****ed. Everyone is being laid off. This is worse than the financial crisis because at least during that crisis, businesses weren't being forced to shut their doors. I don't know who is going to foot the bill for everyone being on EI.

This is madness.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash
    Blog Entries

Also most businesses are saying this is temporary. A lot are quoting two weeks. Look at this chart and tell me you can open again in 2 weeks.

"No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash
    Blog Entries

#flattenthecurve
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Those 2 week timelines are definitely pie in the sky sentiments. I’m expecting to be off work until June and even that is me being optimistic.

My wife and I started making a daily schedule to use starting in April when her Dayhome is closed to stop us and the kids from going mad. I tried suggesting sleep in to noon, then free time for Dad from noon-midnight but got voted down. Oh well.

vCash

I'm starting to crack a little bit. I'm a nurse, luckily not working in emerg/ICU but what is happening is that any staff member that is showing any symptoms are being told to isolate. My opposite is out so I'm on day 9 of a 15 shift stretch. All nights. All I can say is that $1 coffee at McDonald's couldn't have come at a better time.

Please stay safe out there.
    14 and counting!

vCash

I think that small businesses are going to get screwed. I expect no relief from the government personally.

This lockdown on businesses and economic activity could last months not weeks and I expect next week could get ugly. I think that stock prices are going to continue to plunge.

To put Angelus' EI payment comment into perspective there were18.5x more people applying for EI last week than for the same week last year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Those 2 week timelines are definitely pie in the sky sentiments. I’m expecting to be off work until June and even that is me being optimistic.

My wife and I started making a daily schedule to use starting in April when her Dayhome is closed to stop us and the kids from going mad. I tried suggesting sleep in to noon, then free time for Dad from noon-midnight but got voted down. Oh well.
    Judging by the time it took South Korea to peak and then report few new cases, we will be back at work at the end of May. I'd use China as an example, but they've lied about everything from the start, so I just don't trust them. I sincerely hope that coming out of this we cut China out of our supply chain. Now is the perfect time to do it.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Judging by the time it took South Korea to peak and then report few new cases, we will be back at work at the end of May. I'd use China as an example, but they've lied about everything from the start, so I just don't trust them. I sincerely hope that coming out of this we cut China out of our supply chain. Now is the perfect time to do it.
    It's insane how people are swinging this so far one way or the other. Some people say 12 weeks, others say 12 months (or at least some relatives did when I was video calling them...).

Selfishly, I'm sincerely hoping that the Italy numbers are affected by an older population and a culture that's nowhere near as self-conscious about frequent kissing, touching, and physical space etc. as we are in NA...not to mention that their hand-washing stats are atrocious... (link here: https://twitter.com/naomiohreally/st...273408?lang=en)

...but my inner realist says all of that is wishful thinking.
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    It's insane how people are swinging this so far one way or the other. Some people say 12 weeks, others say 12 months (or at least some relatives did when I was video calling them...).

Selfishly, I'm sincerely hoping that the Italy numbers are affected by an older population and a culture that's nowhere near as self-conscious about frequent kissing, touching, and physical space etc. as we are in NA...not to mention that their hand-washing stats are atrocious... (link here: https://twitter.com/naomiohreally/st...273408?lang=en)

Wait for all those a$$holes to return from spring break in Florida and spread it across the US.

-----

I work for one of the banks in their credit card dispute department. People have a misconception that a credit card can force a merchant to give a refund on a purchase because of COVID-19. As much as I'd like to be able to do it for customers, if the purchase terms were no refund, or the merchant is offering you a voucher for future use, I can't force the merchant to change their terms of sale and give you back your money. The bigger merchants often have an Act of God set of terms which would also kick in. So even if a customer does attempt a dispute, a merchant has the right to challenge it - the merchant needs to make sure they have their own cash flows as well. We are doing our best to try to find other options on a case by case basis when we don't have any recourse available.

As an FYI - watch your credit card statements even more closely as well and check your receipt before leaving the store when buying stuff in person - since in times like this, there may be certain unscrupulous merchants who make a "keying error" to give a bit of extra temporary cash flow. If a merchant is offering you a refund, make sure you get it in writing (e.g. email) along with the date, the amount and the last 4 numbers of the card they're refunding. If you have a subscription that you don't need, make sure you follow the instructions from the merchant how to cancel and note the date and method when you do it (some merchants are a real pain in the ass and a simple email will not be enough). A merchant could keep charging you until you tell them to stop per their terms.

As much as I'd like to be able to self-isolate until this passes, I know that I have people who need me right now, so I do my best to protect myself as I commute and interact at work (I'm not able to do the work at home). I am extremely grateful that I am working at my regular pay level during all of this insanity and, since I have no children do not have to worry about them.

Be safe and take care everyone!
    Last edited by Steve Vale; 03-21-2020 at 10:32 PM.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

There are a lot of different models using many different assumptions - in addition to the various real life models based on different approaches & different timing of measures in different countries. It’s all going to depend on
    Individuals - how well people do with washing hands, covering cough, social distancing, stay home, stay away from people if you have any symptoms
    System - early detection, contact tracing, swift control measures for contacts, swift population-wide control measures + plys all the planning in health care facilities to ensure proper care can be provided to improve chance of good outcome

Oversimplification but it works.

There are some societal differences. I think people in Asian countries are more likely to follow what they are told to do by govt officials in general....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post

The South Koreans numbers are likely accurate, and with a much more dense population that didn't shut everything down. They engaged in a massive regime of testing while practicing social distancing and NOT destroying their economy.

We are 2 weeks in. This week will be the surge.

vCash

I was talking to my Mothers Doctor a world Renowned Respirologist and he says 12 weeks so June at the earlies before we show signs of coming back to normal. It may be a very different world this summer
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

First person I know, a family doctor that I went to medical school with, has tested positive for COVID. His wife also got sick this morning.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    First person I know, a family doctor that I went to medical school with, has tested positive for COVID. His wife also got sick this morning.
    oh man... wishing all the best for them. This is terrible.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    oh man... wishing all the best for them. This is terrible.
    Sounds like it has hit his wife harder than him. He's a warrior though, saying at least in a couple weeks he'll be able to come back with immunity and work on the front lines.

These are the guys that Kenney and Shandro want to cut their pay by 30%. In the middle of a pandemic.