Thread: Who should the TSN panel put on their All Esks Team

vCash
    Blog Entries

Discussion Who should the TSN panel put on their All Esks Team

With all the doom and gloom I thought it might be a worthwhile diversion to start a thread on who the TSN panel should put on their All Esks team when they get to us on their CFL2020 show. The roster has to include the following:

1 Head Coach
    12 offensive players including 1 QB, 5 OL, 2 RB, and 4 REC
    12 defensive players including 4 DL, 3 LB, and 5 DB
    3 special team players including 1 P, 1 K, 1 S Teamer (Returner or Tackler)
    Minimum 1 player from the current roster
    Foundational players which include a listing of notable franchise players that you could not include above.

The players listed above has to include 7 Nationals. I'm not sure if that is on the starting 24 like the rule or if some of those nationals can be placed in the special teams spots. I'm going to assume that the 7 have to be placed somewhere on the 24 which makes the task harder. The fact that you have to include a current roster player also makes it challenging. The fact that you don't need to fill specific spots say like a middle linebacker but instead just pick 3 linebackers makes things easier. In any event here's my take:

HC: Hugh Campbell

His great winning percentage and GC record place him in the number one spot as far as I'm concerned. That being said if you picked a guy like Darrell Royal or Pop Ivy I wouldn't be able to fault you. There are others with good winning percentages and GC victories that might also garner consideration like Ron Lancaster. For me though it has to be Campbell as the 5 in a row team were the happiest time to be an esks fan.

QB: Warren Moon

He's my alltime favorite Eskimo and his numbers make him more than eligible IMO so there is no way I am not including him here. That being said if Tillman does not make the dumbest trade in CFL history and Ricky Ray is a lifelong Esk and enjoys similar success here to what he had in Toronto then I might have been forced to have selected him instead. Other guys I think deserving worthy consideration are Jackie Parker and Tom Wilkinson. Mike Reilly, Matt Dunigan, Damon Allen, and Tracy Ham weren't here long enough IMO to merit serious consideration. That being said I think they all deserve a spot on the WOH. Although the way Reilly left may have some fans feeling otherwise as far as the WOH is concerned. He still had great numbers as an Eskimo and won us a GC.

OL: Frank Morris (National)
    OL: Rod Connop (National)
    OL: Chris Morris (National)
    OL: Hector Pothier (National)
    OL: Bill Stevenson (National)

This is the category that really got impacted for me as far as the requirement to have 7 Nationals on the starting 24. Since I could only come up with 2 NIs at other spots I was forced to start 5 National Olinemen. Although I guess I could have created some flexibility by putting a guy like Frank Morris on the Dline but I needed to reserve a spot for a current roster player there. Also I never watched him play and perhaps he was known more for his play on the oline than on the dline and that would have been inappropriate. Alternatively I guess I had the option of including a guy like Matt O'Donnell here as my current roster player instead. Otherwise if not for the 7 NI requirement I might have picked a guy like Roger Nelson. Blake Dermott while not on the WOH yet definitely should be considered also IMO. For me the fact that the above mentioned 5 players are all on the WOH played a significant role in placing them on my all Esks team.

RB: Johnny Bright
    RB: Normie Kwong (National)

When I think of Eskimos football and rushing the ball I think of those 2 guys even though I never watched them play. Others who probably should get consideration are Jim Germany (who I did see play) and Jim Thomas. One thing that surprised me was that Blake Marshall sits 6th on the Esks career TD list with 69 which is impressive.

Rec: Brian Kelly
    Rec: Terry Vaughn
    Rec: Jason Tucker
    Rec: Tom Scott

For me this is one of the toughest positions to evaluate. Looking at their career numbers there are some truly deserving players that should be considered such as George McGowan, Fred Stamps, Adarius Bowman, Tommy Joe Coffey, Ed Hervey, Waddell Smith (and probably a few others that I'm missing). To me when I think of Eskimo receivers Kelly and Scott instantly jump to mind so I couldn't leave them out. The era I grew up watching Eskimos football. Terry Vaughn and Jason Tucker while not on the WOH were simply phenomenal pass catchers IMO and I just couldn't leave them out with my sincerest of apologies to McGown, Coffey and the rest. Maybe someone will make a better argument for these guys and bring up the fact that over a career they averaged more yards or TDs per game or something like that. I would admit that this is a very tough assessment to make and that my picks here could be easily critiqued.

One thing that I found interesting was that I was trying to come up with a National pass catcher that deserved to be on this list but I couldn't think of one that has played for the Esks that was HOF or WOH worthy. The best ones I could think of were Kamu Petersen, Tom Richards, Bryan Fryer, and Marco Cyncar. Every other CFL team I believe have had at least one (if not more) National pass catcher somewhere in their history that they could legitimately put on this list at the receiver position. Players like Jim Young, Tom Forzani, Joe Poplawski, Tony Gabriel, Paul Massotti, Rocky DiPetro, Ben Cahoon, Ray Elgard, Andy Fantuz, Terry Evanshen, etc. Curious that we have never had a HOF/WOH caliber NI receiver in our history at least as far as I know. Would be interesting to hear a case being made for one. Who knows if we ever get back to playing down the road maybe Tevaun Smith might turn out to be that guy.

DL: Dave Fennell (National)
    DL: Ron Estay
    DL: John LaGrone
    DL: Almondo Sewell (Current Roster Player)

My first 2 picks are a product of the era I grew up watching the Esks but are also fully deserving based on their career numbers. I had to pick a current roster player for this team and as far as I was concerned the only 2 deserving candidates were O'Donnel and Sewell and who knows based on their careers so far they might one day end up on the WOH. I chose to go with Sewell otherwise Frank Anderson might have ended up as one of my 4 dlineman. A few others who had great career numbers at this position include Stewart Hill, Bennie Goods, Leroy Blugh, Malvin Hunter, and James Quick Parker. None of them on the WOH but worthy of consideration IMO.

LB: Dan Kepley
    LB: Willie Pless
    LB: Danny Bass

I loved watching all of the above metioned players play and feel that they rank among the best to ever don the green and gold. That being said it would not be out of line to put Larry Wruck on the team especially if you felt that a Roger Nelson deserved to be on the oline and you decided that Wruck should be one of your 7 Nationals. Guys like Tom Towns and Dale Potter could have played the same role here as a NI LB on my all Esks team. JC Sherritt also has great numbers and would not look out of place at this spot. AJ Gass also deserves an honorable mention.

DB: Oscar Kruger (National)
    DB: Rollie Miles
    DB: Larry Highbaugh
    DB: Joe Hollimon
    DB: Don Wilson

Highbaugh, Hollimon, and Wilson are likewise players I loved watching so they make my list even though 2 of them are not on the WOH or HOF. All have numbers that would support their inclusion IMO. Oscar Kruger and Rollie Miles career numbers (Oscar sits 3rd and Rollie 4th in most career interceptions) speak for themselves. One player that going strictly by the numbers deserves to be on this list is John Wydareny. I admit I never heard of the guy but he sits second in career INTs behind Highbaugh with 52 of them in a 6 year career with the esks that included 3 CFL West and 2 CFL All Star seasons but I don't know much about him as he is not on the WOH or HOF. Also he is a National so if you needed to place one on the all esks team so that you could get another Import on the club his numbers certainly seem worthy enough to me. Ed Jones and Malcolm Frank also had great careers with the team.

K: Sean Fleming
    P: Sean Fleming

I didn't think I would ever place anyone above Dave Cutler at the kicker spot but I have to admit that in the end Fleming won me over. A great career as both a K and a P also added to his substantial pedigree. His 6 FGs in the 93 GC were the difference in getting us that victory IMO. That being said if Cutler gets picked as the kicker for this team I would be more than ok with that. Also if Ilesic would have spent his entire career with us he may have ended up as the punter on this team as he was very talented and had some great numbers in a much shorter career with us.

STeamer:Henry Williams

The only non kicker on the esks WOH up there exclusively because of his special teams play. He simply has the best career numbers IMO. Before Gizmo came along Larry Highbaugh was also extremely special in the return game but I have to give the nod to the GIZ.

Foundational Players:

Jackie Parker
    Ricky Ray

These are the 2 players missing from my above mentioned list that by all rights should truly be on it in some capacity as far as I'm concerned so I have to add them. Tom Wilkinson also deserves to be placed here IMO but since the panel has been picking 2 I chose Parker and RR first. All 3 have had tremendous impact on green and gold lore and need to be on the all esks team.

Anyways this was a fun exercise to go through. It was nice going down memory lane. I'm just a fan and perhaps I've made some glaring errors here (well I found my first one Oscar Kruger was a national giving me a total of 8 but I don’t think that changes my list) that someone will be more than happy to point out but my hope is that this thread sparks some lively discussion and I look forward to the TSN panel making their picks as I am sure it will also spark some lively debate.
    Last edited by adb; 06-28-2020 at 09:29 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Re: Who should the TSN panel put on their All Esks Team

Love the list outside of Terry Vaughn

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Love the list outside of Terry Vaughn
    Freddy duece over Vaughn?

I loved Vaughn but he’s already burning in hell for retiring a stamp.. lol

vCash

I agree with adb's whole team with the exception of:

I would have James "Quick" Parker on the DL instead of Sewell. I would have Jim Germany carrying the rock instead Kwong.

vCash

These kinds of lists are so tough - are you talking 1955 Normie Kwong? 1951? 1960? All very different kinds of backs. As well, you have 3 guys on the OL who were all OTs for the majority of their career. I would have definitely included someone like Leo Groenewegen or Matt O'Donnell from the modern era in there at Guard, and maybe Blake Dermott, who could also handle the long snapping duties, and played pretty much all 5 positions over his career. Frankie Morris is a legend, but he would be the weak point on that line, solely based on how big the guys are nowadays. You also listed La Grone, Fennell, and Sewell who are all DTs with only Estay at DE. I'd throw Quick Parker in there for sure, though I understand how tough it is to cut one of those 3 DTs

You also listed your two backs as Bright and Kwong, who were both Fullbacks, with no halfback in there. Maybe put Mike Pringle in there who was that hybrid style instead of one of them, or Long Gone Thomas, who in his peak was one of the best all time, though I understand how hard is to pull two guys who are that legendary.

I prefer doing a "depth chart" myself where you have backups and the like, but the rules are one man per position, so I appreciate how tough that is.

Fun discussion for sure.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    These kinds of lists are so tough - are you talking 1955 Normie Kwong? 1951? 1960? All very different kinds of backs. As well, you have 3 guys on the OL who were all OTs for the majority of their career. I would have definitely included someone like Leo Groenewegen or Matt O'Donnell from the modern era in there at Guard, and maybe Blake Dermott, who could also handle the long snapping duties, and played pretty much all 5 positions over his career. Frankie Morris is a legend, but he would be the weak point on that line, solely based on how big the guys are nowadays. You also listed La Grone, Fennell, and Sewell who are all DTs with only Estay at DE. I'd throw Quick Parker in there for sure, though I understand how tough it is to cut one of those 3 DTs

You also listed your two backs as Bright and Kwong, who were both Fullbacks, with no halfback in there. Maybe put Mike Pringle in there who was that hybrid style instead of one of them, or Long Gone Thomas, who in his peak was one of the best all time, though I understand how hard is to pull two guys who are that legendary.

I prefer doing a "depth chart" myself where you have backups and the like, but the rules are one man per position, so I appreciate how tough that is.

Fun discussion for sure.
    No mention of Charlie Turner on either list !!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Freddy duece over Vaughn?

I loved Vaughn but he’s already burning in hell for retiring a stamp.. lol
    One is named Stamps, the other retired as a Stamp. I'll pick the guy who contributed to winning a championship, and likely deserved anther, but it's damn close.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    No mention of Charlie Turner on either list !!!!!
    haha you have no idea how hard it is to leave him off there, but when you're talking the all time Greats in Green & Gold at the Offensive Tackle position, I think he gets squeaked out, based solely on his era, as the more recent guys tend to get more praise.

When you have tackles including Turner, Roger Nelson, Willie Martin, Larry Watkins, Bill Stevenson, Hector Pothier, Mike Wilson, Chris Morris, Bruce Beaton.... You really realize just how stacked we've been at that position.

Turner, along with Ed George, is the reason there IS a "Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman" award, and won the second one awarded. Mike Wilson won it twice in the only two years he was with the team. Roger Nelson won it in an era when both offensive and defensive linemen were eligible, and won it as an offensive guy (though he played both ways).
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I agree with adb's whole team with the exception of:

I would have James "Quick" Parker on the DL instead of Sewell. I would have Jim Germany carrying the rock instead Kwong.
    That's fair. I am curious as to who you would place on the team from the current roster instead of Sewell in that scenario. Would it be Matt O'Donnell and if so who would you remove from the oline or would it be someone else and if so who would you take off? Remember the rules are that you must include a current roster player which I believe under the current circumstances would also mean that you would not be able to put a guy like Calvin McCarty on as he is not on the roster. Having the stipulation that you must include a current roster player makes it somewhat tougher IMO. When the TSN panel had to place one for the WBB from their current roster they had to pick Jefferson and while a great player I dont think hes been on the club long enough to really be considered. The same may be true for Harris but really they would be the only 2 that should be considered IMO. Three or four years from now would be a different story if Willie is still playing for them. Germany instead of Kwong still works as you would still have 7 nationals on the team.
    Last edited by adb; 06-30-2020 at 09:32 AM.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Fun discussion for sure.
    It is a fun process for sure and tough as some of the rules in place are difficult to work with. I decided to adhere strictly to the TSN panel rules so that means I had the flexibility of picking 5 olineman regardless of position so in that sense it would be easier in a way as I would not have to worry about position. Likewise anybody who regularly lined up in the offensive backfield as long as he didn't primarily throw the ball could be considered for one of the 2 RB spots. The way i interpreted the panel's challenge was to name an all time esks team and not necessarily an all esks team that could actually play a game together and therefore had to be placed in the correct positions and had to have played in the same era and as a result were the same body type. More like an all time allstar team I guess (easier to do in hockey as you could still start 3 centres on a line much more difficult in football). I think if you look at the WBB and HTC all time teams that they have picked so far you will see the same type of weaknesses in those lists in terms of a roster that could actually play together. If you adhere to the parameters set out by TSN then the decision you would have to make is would someone like Leo Groenewegen deserve to be on the list more than someone like Frank Morris based on their careers as olinemen for the Edmonton Eskimos. I never saw Frank Morris play but I trust the fact that helegitimately was a great one for our club and that is the reason he is on the WOH so that played a role in me placing him on the all time team. I did see Groenewegen play and you are right he is a great one that likely deserves to be on the WOH one day and perhaps ahead of Frank Morris on this list.

Was hoping that you might have an opinion on the issue I had with not being able to even consider a NI receiver to make my list as you seem much more versed in EE player history than any of us on the site. Is there anyone that even deserves an honorable mention in this category in your opinion? While the 4 I thought of were very good players I really don't think they do and do you find it likewise curious that we have never had a great one (at least IMO).
    Last edited by adb; 06-30-2020 at 09:31 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    It is a fun process for sure and tough as some of the rules in place are difficult to work with. I decided to adhere strictly to the TSN panel rules so that means I had the flexibility of picking 5 olineman regardless of position so in that sense it would be easier in a way as I would not have to worry about position. Likewise anybody who regularly lined up in the offensive backfield as long as he didn't primarily throw the ball could be considered for one of the 2 RB spots. The way i interpreted the panel's challenge was to name an all time esks team and not necessarily an all esks team that could actually play a game together and therefore had to be placed in the correct positions and had to have played in the same era and as a result were the same body type. More like an all time allstar team I guess (easier to do in hockey as you could still start 3 centres on a line much more difficult in football). I think if you look at the WBB and HTC all time teams that they have picked so far you will see the same type of weaknesses in those lists in terms of a roster that could actually play together. If you adhere to the parameters set out by TSN then the decision you would have to make is would someone like Leo Groenewegen deserve to be on the list more than someone like Frank Morris based on their careers as olinemen for the Edmonton Eskimos. I never saw Frank Morris play but I trust the fact that helegitimately was a great one for our club and that is the reason he is on the WOH so that played a role in me placing him on the all time team. I did see Groenewegen play and you are right he is a great one that likely deserves to be on the WOH one day and perhaps ahead of Frank Morris on this list.

Was hoping that you might have an opinion on the issue I had with not being able to even consider a NI receiver to make my list as you seem much more versed in EE player history than any of us on the site. Is there anyone that even deserves an honorable mention in this category in your opinion? While the 4 I thought of were very good players I really don't think they do and do you find it likewise curious that we have never had a great one (at least IMO).
    Receivers is such a tough one; we've had fantastic players like George McGowan, Tommy Joe Coffey, Jim Sandusky, etc., that don't make some lists, mpstly because of the eras they played in. Hell, the 2004 lineup we had of Hervey/Tucker/Mookie Mitchell/Terry Vaughn is an all-star lineup of receivers we had playing in the same year!

As for NI receiver, we had guys like Steve Bendiak, Barry Mitchelson, Mike Eben, Bobby Taylor, Garry Lefebvre, John Konihowski, Stu Lang, Brian Fryer, Rick House, Tom Richards, Donnie Blair, Rick Walters, Brock Ralph, Andrew Nowacki, Kamau Peterson, Nate Coehoorn, Shamawd Chambers, Cory Watson, Chris Getzlaf, Natey Adjei, and Tevaun Smith, for the bigger names. You'd have to pick from there, I guess?

For me, Rick House was up there. Tom Richards, Kamau. Brian Fryer could have been for sure, if it weren't for the injuries, and had Tom Richards not injured his neck playing, he likely had a long career where he's mentioned among the greats. Shamawd and Brock had great promise, but it never seemed to develop to that top level for us, and then there are guys I didn't even mention like Devon Bailey, Scott Robinson, and others
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash
    Blog Entries

Receivers is such a tough one; we've had fantastic players like George McGowan, Tommy Joe Coffey, Jim Sandusky, etc., that don't make some lists, mpstly because of the eras they played in. Hell, the 2004 lineup we had of Hervey/Tucker/Mookie Mitchell/Terry Vaughn is an all-star lineup of receivers we had playing in the same year!

As for NI receiver, we had guys like Steve Bendiak, Barry Mitchelson, Mike Eben, Bobby Taylor, Garry Lefebvre, John Konihowski, Stu Lang, Brian Fryer, Rick House, Tom Richards, Donnie Blair, Rick Walters, Brock Ralph, Andrew Nowacki, Kamau Peterson, Nate Coehoorn, Shamawd Chambers, Cory Watson, Chris Getzlaf, Natey Adjei, and Tevaun Smith, for the bigger names. You'd have to pick from there, I guess?

For me, Rick House was up there. Tom Richards, Kamau. Brian Fryer could have been for sure, if it weren't for the injuries, and had Tom Richards not injured his neck playing, he likely had a long career where he's mentioned among the greats. Shamawd and Brock had great promise, but it never seemed to develop to that top level for us, and then there are guys I didn't even mention like Devon Bailey, Scott Robinson, and others
    I always considered Rick House more of a WBB and the TSN panel did put him on their list but I suppose there is no reason why he couldn't be on both just like Tommy Joe Coffey could have been on our list as well as Hamilton's and Ricky Ray could legitimately be on our list as well as Toronto's. You are absolutely right about Tom Richards. Had a 1200 yard season the year before his injury and was only 4 seasons in with a few years ahead of him if not for the injury. If Kamu Petersen had played his entire career with us instead of bouncing around with almost 7000 career yards he would have also been a possibility but those are the only 2 in my mind. As you stated above in an earlier post fun discussion.

vCash

An outrage that Jonte Buhl, Chris Hardy and Dan Runge are not on this and just where the hell is Don Trull and Rusty Clark?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    An outrage that Jonte Buhl, Chris Hardy and Dan Runge are not on this and just where the hell is Don Trull and Rusty Clark?
    OOOOO that brings up an interesting conversation. Who would be on your most hated Eskimo roster? Based solely off of actual visual knowledge the ones that stick out to me are Nealon Greene at QB and Jonte Buhl in the secondary.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    One thing that surprised me was that Blake Marshall sits 6th on the Esks career TD list with 69 which is impressive.
    Blake Marshall was automatic from 2 yards out. He could drag 7 guys with him to get those 2 yards. I can understand why many wouldn't include him on a list like this, but he is one of my all-time favorite players. I own 2 jerseys with player names: Gizmo and Marshall.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    OOOOO that brings up an interesting conversation. Who would be on your most hated Eskimo roster? Based solely off of actual visual knowledge the ones that stick out to me are Nealon Greene at QB and Jonte Buhl in the secondary.
    This list starts and ends with Hicham El-Mashtoub
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

can't say I remember him
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

can't say I remember him
    Try and imagine if Mel Gibson played offensive line in 1999.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

can't say I remember him
    Remember the name, can't remember a thing about the player.

vCash

Thanks . I was trying to remember his name. Believe he qualified as a national Centre. And for some weird reason I remembered he was from Arizona.

vCash

Thanks . I was trying to remember his name. Believe he qualified as a national Centre. And for some weird reason I remembered he was from Arizona.
    lol he was from Lebanon originally, but went to college at Arizona after attending high school in Quebec. It was the high school that got him National/Non-Import status back then!
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

lol he was from Lebanon originally, but went to college at Arizona after attending high school in Quebec. It was the high school that got him National/Non-Import status back then!
    I remember us signing him and thinking we had a U.S. trained "C" and would solid at that spot for several years. Heard some crazy stuff that went on.

vCash

I remember us signing him and thinking we had a U.S. trained "C" and would solid at that spot for several years. Heard some crazy stuff that went on.
    Yeah that one blew up pretty quickly; he was let go at the end of the season. The next year we got Tim Prinsen from the Ti-Cats who slotted in at guard and learned from Leo Groenewegen who moved from guard to centre and Tim took over after Leo finished grooming him.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory