Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Last Act as an Eskimos Fan

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

History My Last Act as an Eskimos Fan

Seconds after I saw the FB post, I called the ticket office and cancelled the 56 years worth of season tickets that Quake and I held. I brief texts with other close friends, the total within an hour among us was 126 years of ST's and counting.

Kevin at the ticket office didn't even try and put a positive spin on what was happening. I didn't lose my sh*t or anything, just calmly said I was done, and done for good. Not just with this organization but done with the CFL. He said I wasn't alone and that the phone was ringing steadily already with cancelations. His voice sounded like someone just died

I'm not going to go on much, except to say this franchise is a horrible shell of what it once was, and what it once stood for. The social club group that is an extention of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, that calls itself stewards of this organization have failed in their primary function. To preserve the Edmonton Eskimos as a going concern. That is why the board came to be in the first place. Complete and utter failures...

To those I've chatted, jousted, and interacted with. Thanks. For the most part it's been fun, but this is my last post. Thankls for everything Phil. I trust you will follow through on my wishes in the Mod forum

I'd rather spend money on some Golden Bears games and plans are underway for a new tradition of visiting a pacific northwest NCAA game each year, be it Boise St, Wash St, Idaho, Oregon St, Oregon etc rather then spend a dime on this club moving forward

I cannot in any good consiense, support an organization that chooses to cowardly kneel where it once fiercely and proudly stood...
    I will not, for a moment longer, support an organization who chooses to cowardly kneel where they once fiercely & proudly stood

vCash

Re: My Last Act as an Eskimos Fan

IF there is still a CFL next June, I will buy season tickets. Looking at the perspective of the team, it was an untenable situation. Either piss off the Diesels of the world or lose all of your sponsors.

Seeing it from their perspective, I will continue to support the team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Seconds after I saw the FB post, I called the ticket office and cancelled the 56 years worth of season tickets that Quake and I held. I brief texts with other close friends, the total within an hour among us was 126 years of ST's and counting.

Kevin at the ticket office didn't even try and put a positive spin on what was happening. I didn't lose my sh*t or anything, just calmly said I was done, and done for good. Not just with this organization but done with the CFL. He said I wasn't alone and that the phone was ringing steadily already with cancelations. His voice sounded like someone just died

I'm not going to go on much, except to say this franchise is a horrible shell of what it once was, and what it once stood for. The social club group that is an extention of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, that calls itself stewards of this organization have failed in their primary function. To preserve the Edmonton Eskimos as a going concern. That is why the board came to be in the first place. Complete and utter failures...

To those I've chatted, jousted, and interacted with. Thanks. For the most part it's been fun, but this is my last post. Thankls for everything Phil. I trust you will follow through on my wishes in the Mod forum

I'd rather spend money on some Golden Bears games and plans are underway for a new tradition of visiting a pacific northwest NCAA game each year, be it Boise St, Wash St, Idaho, Oregon St, Oregon etc rather then spend a dime on this club moving forward

I cannot in any good consiense, support an organization that chooses to cowardly kneel where it once fiercely and proudly stood...
    All the best!! One of the things that made the games fun for me and my parents was proudly sitting behind you trashing the other team with well times zingers!
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

After 45 years and 3 season tickets I did the same thing enough is enough. Since 1963 I only missed 5 games counting the knothole gang and my neighbour taking me until 1975 when i got my own.

Sad day indeed

vCash

Best wishes to everyone leaving. Thanks for being fans all those years and supporting Edmonton football. They were some amazing years.

On to a new chapter for the rest of us. Well hopefully. This league is gonna have some challenges financially coming out of the Covid hole.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

I won't boycott the team. I'll boycott the sponsors that didn't give a crap for years until they saw a PR opportunity.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I won't boycott the team. I'll boycott the sponsors that didn't give a crap for years until they saw a PR opportunity.
    Same here.

vCash

Since the Esks made the difficult decision to change their name, I assume that all these sponsors will happily come back and support the team.

Yeah right!!
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Since the Esks made the difficult decision to change their name, I assume that all these sponsors will happily come back and support the team.

Yeah right!!
    Of course not. It was never about the name with those sponsors, it was easy free publicity.

vCash

X2

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Of course not. It was never about the name with those sponsors, it was easy free publicity.
    Sad but true.

vCash

Belair didn't stop supporting the team -- they threatened to pull their sponsorship if the team name didn't change.

It may be a thin difference, but to me it's all the difference. I don't condone the ultimatum way of doing business.

Boston Pizza was pulling out long before this, and not just with the Eskimos but all of the CFL.

Just setting the actual facts out there.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Belair didn't stop supporting the team -- they threatened to pull their sponsorship if the team name didn't change.

It may be a thin difference, but to me it's all the difference. I don't condone the ultimatum way of doing business.

Boston Pizza was pulling out long before this, and not just with the Eskimos but all of the CFL.

Understood. I will be boycotting Belair, indifferent on the gambling site as I'd never do that anyways. I'm not boycotting BPs over the CFL, just their food.

vCash

I am done with BelAir and would like to see the Double E done with them as well.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Best wishes to everyone leaving. Thanks for being fans all those years and supporting Edmonton football. They were some amazing years.

On to a new chapter for the rest of us. Well hopefully. This league is gonna have some challenges financially coming out of the Covid hole.
    Would like to echo Hugo's statements above. Thanks for the lively debate over the years. It's been fun and you will be missed.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I'm still a fan of the team for sure.

There is only one thing that will stop me from being a fan and that is if the team has anything to do with the people that forced the named change in which case I'll say F you and walk away.

An MP from nunavut was just on the news saying "Oh that is a good start, now we want a formal apology and we want the team to continue to support the inuit and the north yada yada yada."

That door is closed, our involvement with that part of the country and that part of the population should be the same as we do with any other group.

As much as I hate this moment, it is the right decision. It feels worse than the sucker punch that was trading Ricky Ray. It doesn't matter how much regard and reverence we have for the name; it doesn't matter what our intentions are in how we use it; it doesn't matter that some people rushed to condemn our use of it with fully considering the opinions of all Inuit, or anything else. All that matters is that others used the word Eskimo in such a way that a significant number of Inuit always hear it as a bad slur. The name is dead and we can't keep using it.

Today's administration is not to blame, they have no choice, they are not caving, it is the only decision to preserve the team. I'm sorry for anyone who can't see and understand that. Either this was always going to happen or the fault lies with the administration in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Maybe the only way to have saved the name was if they had engaged the Inuit and made them a partner with us so that they'd love the name as much as we do, but maybe not. The administration has made more than it's share of mistakes since Hugh Campbell retired, this is not one of them.

If we meant what we said about how we respect the Eskimo name, the Inuit, and our connection to the north, then we must continue to engage with them. We must receive their blessing before selecting a new name, especially if the new name has any connection to the First Nations or the north.

Back to lurking.

vCash

What is there to engage about? Some people were offended by the name and now they are no longer the Eskimos. Why do we need to receive the Inuit's blessing (whomever that might be)? It is obvious that the new name won't have any connection to the first nations or the people of the north.

Thanks to Diesel for all his valued input on here and his support of the Eskimos over the years.

vCash

Thanks to Diesel for all his valued input on here and his support of the Eskimos over the years.[/QUOTE]

X2

vCash

Iíd like to wish you the best Diesel. You were always a poster who I felt had a passion for the Eskimo way and a knowledge to back it up. I learned a lot from you. I know we didnít see eye-to-eye on some of the recent changes, but I respected where you came from and what you stand for. The Eskimos exist - or once did - for people like you. Today, we share the same view.

In far-off Ontario, I donít have those experiences but I do bleed green and gold and the Eskimos are my team. I donít particularly want to cheer for the ďEdmonton football clubĒ and Iím disappointed as hell they caved to cancel culture. That said, I donít know that I could cheer for another team either. Itís tough... the CFL is such a great game, but they kick the loyal fans again and again. Itís a double kick in the teeth when we had Milanovich to build excitement again and were hopefully turning a corner, not to mention we seemed to have really strong support from the North. Itís a sad day.

vCash

Thanks Diesel for all of your contributions over the years. I will certainly miss your insight and knowledge about the game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedGreenGold View Post
    As much as I hate this moment, it is the right decision. It feels worse than the sucker punch that was trading Ricky Ray. It doesn't matter how much regard and reverence we have for the name; it doesn't matter what our intentions are in how we use it; it doesn't matter that some people rushed to condemn our use of it with fully considering the opinions of all Inuit, or anything else. All that matters is that others used the word Eskimo in such a way that a significant number of Inuit always hear it as a bad slur. The name is dead and we can't keep using it.

Today's administration is not to blame, they have no choice, they are not caving, it is the only decision to preserve the team. I'm sorry for anyone who can't see and understand that. Either this was always going to happen or the fault lies with the administration in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Maybe the only way to have saved the name was if they had engaged the Inuit and made them a partner with us so that they'd love the name as much as we do, but maybe not. The administration has made more than it's share of mistakes since Hugh Campbell retired, this is not one of them.

If we meant what we said about how we respect the Eskimo name, the Inuit, and our connection to the north, then we must continue to engage with them. We must receive their blessing before selecting a new name, especially if the new name has any connection to the First Nations or the north.

Back to lurking.
    Sorry the Eskimos DID do everything in their power to 'engage'. The majority of the people they surveyed in numerous occasions were fine with it or said no big deal.

In the probably 50 years I have been a fan of the team I do not recall once the name ever being used with any disrespect by fellow fans or the team.

What is done is done. The highly offended can go back to not even knowing what the CFL is and sleep well.

vCash

Either piss off the Diesels of the world
    If pissing off the Diesels of the world means surveying a socially aware populace, looking inward at your weaknesses and changing to be more inclusive, then so long to the Diesels.

I enjoyed his contributions in the past. But let's be honest, he checked out years ago when Hervey was fired.

vCash

I have mixed feelings about today . I have been a fan since 1972 and a season ticket holder since 1980 and will continue to support the team moving forward. This is a very personal decision for every fan and I will respect those that choose to move on. I choose to look at this as an opportunity for the team to "re-brand" and I think that is a good thing. That being said, I do not have a lot of confidence this group will be successful in accomplishing that.

I guess we shall see...

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post

Sad times..

Hope you change your mind down the line and come back dude..

Onceaneskimo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Sadly those who called for the name change have and prob never watch a down of cfl ball in their life... on tv or in person, it was just another hype train to jump on

Hope everyone is happy....,

Our dna is gone.. destroyed just like that..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post

Belair only threatened to pull their sponsorship to get a PR win. And if BP were leaving it makes their empty threat even worse. None of these sponsors gave a crap about the name until it became fashionable to be offended.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'm still a fan of the team for sure.

There is only one thing that will stop me from being a fan and that is if the team has anything to do with the people that forced the named change in which case I'll say F you and walk away.

An MP from nunavut was just on the news saying "Oh that is a good start, now we want a formal apology and we want the team to continue to support the inuit and the north yada yada yada."

That door is closed, our involvement with that part of the country and that part of the population should be the same as we do with any other group.
    What is he (or she), a 5-year-old? I get her an expensive ice cream cone, and instead of saying "thank you", she cries because there aren't enough sprinkles?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    If pissing off the Diesels of the world means surveying a socially aware populace, looking inward at your weaknesses and changing to be more inclusive, then so long to the Diesels.

I enjoyed his contributions in the past. But let's be honest, he checked out years ago when Hervey was fired.
    What does the boldfaced even mean in relation to this situation? Cliche speak at its finest.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    What does the boldfaced even mean in relation to this situation? Cliche speak at its finest.
    Cliche? It means taking a close look at yourself and seeing how your actions affect others.

I came across this article by Gerry Moddejonge. Like I suspect many on this site, myself included, Len Rhodes was in the camp that the Eskimo name was not a problem. It is just a name and the organization wasn't being offensive in any way.

Then Len actually talked to the Inuit. He heard the stories about how that term affected those to which it was applied negatively. The weakness in the organization became apparent. Then he knew it had to change.

It is the realization that the words and symbols that we use do project a meaning even if our intentions are contradictory.