Thread: What TV Do You Recommend?

vCash
    Blog Entries

TV What TV Do You Recommend?

Hey everyone!
    So we had our basement flood a couple months ago and they're just about finished putting it all back together. (Finally) Now we have to go shopping for stuff that was damaged/destroyed. We need a new TV and I figured I'd ask if anyone has experience with some of the different brands. It's going to be a 4K, can't be more than 58" across and the couch will be 9' away. Sure it's hard to go wrong with something from LG, Sony or Samsung but what about Hisense, TCL or Sharp? Vizio? RCA? (For some reason when I think of an RCA TV I think of big honkin tube sets that sounded like crap and were the ones you'd get from Zellers or London Drugs.
    You can read a million reviews but for some reason I trust the opinions of people here a little more...
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Re: What TV Do You Recommend?

I purchased an entry level 4K TCL two years ago and returned it within a week. There was an abnormal clicking sound followed by a (very brief) static screen before the TV turned on each time. Internet search warned me that many had same issue and TV died shortly thereafter. Tried a 4K LG right after that and it arrived DOA. I picked up a Samsung (I think it was a 7100) this Christmas and have been very happy with it. Good TV for the money. I usually use my surround system for sports or movies, but I found the TV speakers far superior to the last three TV's speakers I owned. Unfortunately a lot of entry level TV's don't get bright enough to really show off the capabilities of 4K, so if you can afford to spend a little more, do it. My TV (and others) really aren't good in sunlit rooms. The "smart" interface is adequate and most of the apps you need are available (although Sportsnet & TSN apps were not offered on my 2019 model - which can be an issue if you choose streaming vs cable.). I use a Nvidia Shield Android TV Box for all my app needs so that was not an issue for me.

Despite country of origin (Sony - Japan, LG & Samsung - South Korea), most brands use Chinese components on their entry level TV's which is where the gamble is for someone like me who can't afford a lot. Capacitors go early. I made sure to purchase it at Costco and got the 3 year extended warranty for really cheap. I used to be against spending money on extended warranties for electronics, but in the last couple decades, electronics and their durability have definitely changed. Costco warranties are very affordable. I've never had an issue returning electronics to Costco.

This site does a great job reviewing TV's
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu7100

I actually tried an Optoma HD projector for my living room and loved it. Color was brilliant. Unfortunately, the room was too small. If the projector was too close to the sitting area, I found it to be to noisy. Moving it back gave me a beautiful 100 inch screen, but watching football made me dizzy because I was only 9 feet from the screen Had to return it. Someday...
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 08-25-2020 at 11:03 AM.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: What TV Do You Recommend?

Thanks Hugo. That site is awesome!
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.