Thread: CFL legend Tommy Joe Coffey passes away at age 84

vCash
    Blog Entries

Serious CFL legend Tommy Joe Coffey passes away at age 84

Very sad news. Never saw him play but from what I have heard from others he was truly one of the great ones. Condolences to his family...https://3downnation.com/2020/08/26/c...way-at-age-84/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Re: CFL legend Tommy Joe Coffey passes away at age 84

Very sad news, one of my all time favs. Hated to see him in a Ti-Cat uniform. Outstanding receiver but one of those very valuable versatile players needed when rosters were smaller. Did , PK and kickoffs here plus see to recall a him playing a bit at DB early on in Edmonton.

Condolences to his family.

vCash

I think the only game I watched of him in real time may have been the '72 Grey Cup?, although I only remember Tony Gabriel and Chuck Ealey from that Hamilton victory (Ian Sunter had replaced Coffey at kicker by that point). Obviously have heard many stories over the years and seen many a clip on my old CFL DVD's. Legends like this make the game something to treasure. Rest in peace, Tommy-Joe.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Sadly, Tommy Joe Coffey had been suffering from Alzheimer's for several years now, but it still stings to see him pass away.

Tommy Joe joined the club on January 30, 1959 and spent the first two years as an average receiver before retiring to become an entrepreneur selling herbal supplements where he promptly lost tens of thousands of dollars. He returned in 1962 and was determined to be the best, and went from 500 yards receiving a season to 1000+ and was a CFL All Star 4 times between 1962 and 1966, even being the West nominee for the Most Outstanding Player award in 1962.

He was part of the infamous trade on January 31, 1967 that sent himself, QB Bill Redell, DHB Marshall Starks, and HB Ed Turek to Hamilton for QB Frank Cosentino, DB/K Don Sutherin, FB Gerry McDougall and DB Billy Wayte. Sutherin and Wayte refused to report, so Sudsy was flipped to Ottawa for DE/C Ian MacDonald, who also refused to report. GM Norm Kimball was roasted in the press for ages after this trade, and even though we had signed Heisman Trophy-winner Terry Baker shortly before trading away Tommy Joe, we still were not doing a ton on offense back then.

Tommy Joe ended up starring for Hamilton and won the Grey Cup in his first year in Black and Gold, and another in his final year with the Tabbies in 1972, before finishing his career in Toronto in 1973. He was elected to the CFHOF in 1977 in his second year of eligibility and enshrined on our own Wall of Honour in 1988.

Godspeed, Tommy Joe.
    Last edited by 56Parkies; 08-26-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Yeah, TJ one of the few EE Greats through a lot of very dark EE years.
    Thank you, TJ, for the excitement and joy you gave to so many - myself included.
    One of the EE legends, a sad passing.