Thread: Anyone cancelled season seats due to name change?

vCash

Ask Anyone cancelled season seats due to name change?

I have, this one pushed me over. Eskimos are trying to get me back.

Iíve threatened before, this is the first time I followed through. 30 plus years and the CFL is dead to me.

I thought time would heal this one, it hasnít.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Re: Anyone cancelled season seats due to name change?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post

I’ve threatened before, this is the first time I followed through. 30 plus years and the CFL is dead to me.

I thought time would heal this one, it hasn’t.
    Not me. I understand how you feel. In terms of time healing, I think the real test will be once games are actually scheduled and played. If you can still keep the TV off and not attend games, then yes it's time.

I know I can't wait to see CFL again.

vCash

You've been a faithful fan over the years, Nanookster. If you feel it's time to say you're done, you are probably the best person to decide this for yourself.

I'm hoping to buy season tickets next season. It will be the first time since 2003 (or is it 2004? long time anyway... ). Personally, I want to do whatever I can to support our league (and my team - whatever the name) during a very precarious re-start.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    You've been a faithful fan over the years, Nanookster. If you feel it's time to say you're done, you are probably the best person to decide this for yourself.

I'm hoping to buy season tickets next season. It will be the first time since 2003 (or is it 2004? long time anyway... ). Personally, I want to do whatever I can to support our league (and my team - whatever the name) during a very precarious re-start.
    30 plus years in the seats....

I’m really disgusted by this all. I don’t even miss the games. I survived the questionably coaches and GMs, the shoddy officiating, I think this is the final straw.

I don’t even feel the Eskimos did it for the reasons they state, it was all sponsorship pressure. I feel a lack of fans in the stands will really hurt the CFL.

I’m only curious if others have done the same as I am doing. I noticed some have healed, based on the posts here.

My feeling is if CFL football dies in Edmonton the CFL folds. All this crap about Saskatchewan being the flagship is BS, the Eskimos are what holds this league together.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

I've left my money with the Eskimos for tickets next season.

The name 'controversy' was never going to go away. As long as the self righteous SJW mob exists (and it always will) there will be some pretentious a-hole out there trying to bring attention to themselves by complaining about a football team's name.

As for fans in the seats, TSN has been driving fans out of the seats for years.

I also feel that the longer you have had season seats the less important you are to the team.

Changing the name of the team won't make me leave but if they have plans to honour a Marxist organization that wants to destroy our society or honour suspected rapists who violate restraining orders and commit other crimes (like the NBA and the NHL just did) I am done. The one good thing with the CFL season being cancelled is they didn't get caught up in social issues that they shouldn't be commenting on.
    Last edited by Esks1975; 09-08-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added 'they' near end of last sentence

vCash

nope. I suppose the players more than the team name. I just hope when/if the CFl returns I can upgrade my seats a few rows thanks to those who cancelled because of name change.

vCash

I gave up my seats a few years back. IF there is a CFL in the future I will buy season seats. Might give a few away, but I'll buy 'em.

vCash

The team was in a tough spot either way. I will support them, name change or not.

We had bought tickets for this year and will buy them again next year. As long as they keep the colors and the EE logo, that's all I care about.

vCash

We didn't. Hell, we are looking to see if someone in Section G is giving up theirs -- we will give them a good family to sit in them.
    People will stay or go based on their own decisions of what's right for them and their families. We get too much enjoyment out of going to games, so we will choose to stay.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    The team was in a tough spot either way. I will support them, name change or not.

We had bought tickets for this year and will buy them again next year. As long as they keep the colors and the EE logo, that's all I care about.
    This. I was initially in the same camp as nanookster, but came around. I'm not going to punish EEFC because their advertisers were pulling out. Damned if they did damned if they didn't. Come up with a cool new name, keep the logo and colors. Done.

That said, I am only about 25% confident that the CFL will survive all of this anyway.

vCash

I kept my money with the club used the extra 10% for kids up front but I'm not confident the CFL is going to survive this tbh
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    That said, I am only about 25% confident that the CFL will survive all of this anyway.
    I think they'll survive with a government loan. They turned down the $30m because they weren't convinced that running a 2020 season was a good idea. But I don't think the government will let the CFL and the Grey Cup be a COVID failure.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I think they'll survive with a government loan. They turned down the $30m because they weren't convinced that running a 2020 season was a good idea. But I don't think the government will let the CFL and the Grey Cup be a COVID failure.
    I hope you're right. But if the CFL isn't popular in Toronto and Montreal, the Liberals prolly couldn't give a flying fig.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    This. I was initially in the same camp as nanookster, but came around. I'm not going to punish EEFC because their advertisers were pulling out. Damned if they did damned if they didn't. Come up with a cool new name, keep the logo and colors. Done.

I can't see the CFL not being back. There's a lot of money in the league with some of the owners who use the CFL as just something they own. MLSE, Bob Young, David Braley, etc, these individuals won't let the CFL die. Well, maybe MLSE doesn't care so much but they have the money to make it work.

The issues need to be addressed at the front office though. That's where the issues start and stop for me. A league of old thinkers isn't going to pull this league forward.

As for the team and their fans, time will tell who comes back and who doesn't. I think some people will calm down from the initial name change fiasco and come back and some won't. It'll be up to the club how they make things work.

An increase in season ticket prices would be a bad idea. More $99/seats would be a good idea.
    Making sure they're out in the community and engaging the community in a name change would be a good idea.
    Going to the schools and asking young kids about the name would be a great idea. That's your future fanbase right there after all.

I'll stop my rant now but now is the time for the big brains with the club, and the league, to sit down and really evaluate everything in front of them.

vCash
    Blog Entries

This season would have been the first time I would have had season seats in about 10 years. Usually go to at least 6 or so games a year if not more. I left the money with the club for seats next season and hopefully there will be a season. I don't blame the club for the name change. Really in today's climate I don't think they could have handled the issue any better. They tried to hold onto the name but in the end there was just no way they could have IMO. Year after year for the last 5 years (if not more) it would always come up in the media to the point where I was getting pretty tired of hearing about it and friends asking me about it. It took away from my enjoyment of the game. To me they will always be the Eskimos and I will continue to wear my gear and hopefully not be harassed for doing so but in the end I think the club made the right decision and I will continue to support the club and the new name.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I can't see the CFL not being back. There's a lot of money in the league with some of the owners who use the CFL as just something they own. MLSE, Bob Young, David Braley, etc, these individuals won't let the CFL die. Well, maybe MLSE doesn't care so much but they have the money to make it work.

The issues need to be addressed at the front office though. That's where the issues start and stop for me. A league of old thinkers isn't going to pull this league forward.

As for the team and their fans, time will tell who comes back and who doesn't. I think some people will calm down from the initial name change fiasco and come back and some won't. It'll be up to the club how they make things work.

An increase in season ticket prices would be a bad idea. More $99/seats would be a good idea.
    Making sure they're out in the community and engaging the community in a name change would be a good idea.
    Going to the schools and asking young kids about the name would be a great idea. That's your future fanbase right there after all.

I'll stop my rant now but now is the time for the big brains with the club, and the league, to sit down and really evaluate everything in front of them.
    If these deep pocketed owners won't let the CFL die, then why did they go to the Feds for a 150 mill handout to start? They slowly lowered their ask and I think it ended at $30 mill but when the Feds wouldn't give them free money, they shut the season down. If they are such lovers of the CFL and have all this money, if all it took was 30 mill for a shortened season, those CFL loving owners should have been able to come up with that. MLSE alone could afford it.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

I’ve threatened before, this is the first time I followed through. 30 plus years and the CFL is dead to me.

Did they give you a time line on name announcement? I think that may sway a few who are on the fence..

I know as a fellow fan I am absolutely gutted for u, that u have chosen to make the move after 30 years.. that’s generational fandom and it saddens me to see people go, understand your process I agree but I just can’t not support our team anymore.. I said at the time a part of my childhood died when the cut the eskimo name.. and it will never ever be the same.. so I get it. However I do hope the new name makes u have a change of heart or deep down u miss the game and the team and decide to return..

Either way, thank you dude...

For me it will never change . Once an eskimo, always an eskimo..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    If these deep pocketed owners won't let the CFL die, then why did they go to the Feds for a 150 mill handout to start? They slowly lowered their ask and I think it ended at $30 mill but when the Feds wouldn't give them free money, they shut the season down. If they are such lovers of the CFL and have all this money, if all it took was 30 mill for a shortened season, those CFL loving owners should have been able to come up with that. MLSE alone could afford it.
    I think most of it was for the TSN TV contract money they would have lost out on and revenue from games played. You ask for the moon and go from there.

Ambroise did a horrible job though when he went for that ask. From all accounts, they didn't seem prepared whatsoever.

And they also probably figured since Cirque asked for money too they may as well give it a shot. Either way, they bungled that whole ask for money badly.

vCash

I think most of it was for the TSN TV contract money they would have lost out on and revenue from games played. You ask for the moon and go from there.

Ambroise did a horrible job though when he went for that ask. From all accounts, they didn't seem prepared whatsoever.

And they also probably figured since Cirque asked for money too they may as well give it a shot. Either way, they bungled that whole ask for money badly.
    I don't put this all on Ambroise, I personally don't think the Commish of the CFL has any power. Not just him but all of them. He's just there to say or do what the CFL board tells him. The reason I say this is with all the guys who have come and gone as the commish, the amount of change over the years has been pretty minimal. They change the logo slightly, add a catch phrase here or there. Maybe tweak a rule. But has the league really changed much in as long as I can remember? I don't think so. If the Commish had any real power, why on earth would anyone take the job over and over again and just keep the status quo of a failing league? The CFL is almost always in trouble. They always have money problems or attendance problems or franchises losing big money. The latest "big change" is the venture into Mexico and Europe. It's just another attempt at a money grab much like the failed expansion to the states was. So the Esks as an example got a couple of guys from Mexico and a guy from France on their roster now who don't really play. Great, is the league better for that "big change"? Not at all.

So I am sure maybe Ambroise could have been better but would the board let him? Not so sure about that.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

This would have been my 25th year as a season ticket holder. Our family enjoys the games too much to cancel because of a name change. My kids, while sad to see a tradition end, have said that many of their age group (late teens) think the name was racist so changing it isn't a big deal. They and I understand that times change and this was inevitable really.

I'll still support the team and players and enjoy the games as we have previously done. Just please keep the colours and the EE logo (even if it's not the primary logo any longer).
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Bye Felicia.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    Bye Felicia.
    And another drive by from you. Anything constructive to add?
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.