Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Crew Officially Turfed!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Rant Equipment Crew Officially Turfed!!!

So Dwayne and the guys were officially fired today with the club saying it was due to COVID and re-structuring. Keep in mind Dwayne was hitting 50 Years of Service in a couple months. F*cking classless move by the club and I tell ya...the Alumni are pi$$ed...

Way to stay classy there Brock and Co.

#49Years
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Re: Equipment Crew Officially Turfed!!!

All of this, especially when it comes to Dwayne, should have been handled so much better than it did. This is not good.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash
    Blog Entries

Darlene too... Wow.

vCash

Disgusting, most disgusting thing yet.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

vCash

This is a bad bad look for the team.. utterly disgusted by this...

To irate to actually rant about it..

vCash

You could have let go of most of the equipment crew and brought them back when the time was right.

But leave Dwayne on the staff until he decides to call it a career. Just classless.

The BoG had a say in this for sure. They want to save as much money as they can right now so this isn't all on Presson or Brock. This had to come from the top.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    You could have let go of most of the equipment crew and brought them back when the time was right.

But leave Dwayne on the staff until he decides to call it a career. Just classless.

The BoG had a say in this for sure. They want to save as much money as they can right now so this isn't all on Presson or Brock. This had to come from the top.
    But... if that's the case, you're on the hook for likely quite a bit of severance, instead of letting him do a 50th season, letting him retire, and no severance. Financially speaking, this doesn't fit.

Personally, I believe all of this could have been handled better from the start -- keep your employees in the loop (all of them, but especially your longest-tenured ones), and let them know that this is going to happen long in advance. "If we get to the 180 days and we still aren't in any place to start up again, we will have to let you go". At that point, you can inquire about what happens after that when you start up again in 2021 -- will he be hired back, etc., etc. Dwayne just wants a 50th year to ride out on. After the first 49 years he toiled away, didn't he deserve at very least that?
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Sorry, I don't give Presson or Brock a pass here. I point the finger a little less at Presson because he hasn't been here very long. Brock is the GM and Vice Pres of football ops. So he'd have a HUGE impact on who stays and who goes because he's being paid to run the team and decide what personnel he needs especially on the field. Dwayne is part of the on field team. The BOG are a bunch of local business people who probably know little about football. I get the BOG probably said we need to cut costs to save money but I have a hard time believing if the GM and Vice Pres of football Ops went we need this guy, they go over his said and fire him.

Just a classless, disgusting move by this team. I am sure the usual crew will bash me for being hard on Brock again but I am sorry, since he's taken the job this organization has had numerous really bad looks. You don't punt a guy like Dwayne who's been with the team for 49 yrs like this. I get he's not a player but his name gets mentioned every freaking time they retire a player. A former great player comes back to Commonwealth to get his name put up on the wall and they mention his name to thank him. At some point a team has to make changes as a guy gets older. If he's been with the team for 49 yrs, I am sure he's retirement age but you let a guy like that go out on his terms and when the time comes you make a big freaking deal out of it to show some appreciation. It doesn't get leaked out by the teams play by play guy that he got fired.

I have been losing a lot of interest in this team over the years because of what I have seen them doing. The name change was a big time disappointment to me and while I somewhat understood they didn't have a lot of choice, it still turned me off a little more, now this.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Regardless of where this awful decision came from, it is classless and reeks of an organization that is rotten.

I said that if the CFL came back I would buy tickets. This kind of garbage is what can make me change my mind. It just might.

Jackasses!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Sorry, I don't give Presson or Brock a pass here. I point the finger a little less at Presson because he hasn't been here very long. Brock is the GM and Vice Pres of football ops. So he'd have a HUGE impact on who stays and who goes because he's being paid to run the team and decide what personnel he needs especially on the field. Dwayne is part of the on field team. The BOG are a bunch of local business people who probably know little about football. I get the BOG probably said we need to cut costs to save money but I have a hard time believing if the GM and Vice Pres of football Ops went we need this guy, they go over his said and fire him.

Just a classless, disgusting move by this team. I am sure the usual crew will bash me for being hard on Brock again but I am sorry, since he's taken the job this organization has had numerous really bad looks. You don't punt a guy like Dwayne who's been with the team for 49 yrs like this. I get he's not a player but his name gets mentioned every freaking time they retire a player. A former great player comes back to Commonwealth to get his name put up on the wall and they mention his name to thank him. At some point a team has to make changes as a guy gets older. If he's been with the team for 49 yrs, I am sure he's retirement age but you let a guy like that go out on his terms and when the time comes you make a big freaking deal out of it to show some appreciation. It doesn't get leaked out by the teams play by play guy that he got fired.

I have been losing a lot of interest in this team over the years because of what I have seen them doing. The name change was a big time disappointment to me and while I somewhat understood they didn't have a lot of choice, it still turned me off a little more, now this.
    You need to read a little better. I didn't say it was all on them. They get their orders from the top, just like you do at work.

Classless move either way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    But... if that's the case, you're on the hook for likely quite a bit of severance, instead of letting him do a 50th season, letting him retire, and no severance. Financially speaking, this doesn't fit.

Personally, I believe all of this could have been handled better from the start -- keep your employees in the loop (all of them, but especially your longest-tenured ones), and let them know that this is going to happen long in advance. "If we get to the 180 days and we still aren't in any place to start up again, we will have to let you go". At that point, you can inquire about what happens after that when you start up again in 2021 -- will he be hired back, etc., etc. Dwayne just wants a 50th year to ride out on. After the first 49 years he toiled away, didn't he deserve at very least that?
    No idea. You're probably correct. I don't know how the inner workings on the BOG works but this is a classless move either way.

I'm looking at all angles of this, not just Brock or Presson. They have bosses too.

vCash
    Blog Entries

It was well known in the Igloo, both in the front office and the locker room that Dwayne was retiring when he hit 50 years. EVERYONE in the organization knew this. BoG, Brock, Presson, players, staff...this is just bullsh!t and there's no excuse for it. The alumni are upset and this is the latest in a long line of colossal f*ck ups that we can't ignore.
    Once an Eskimo, Always an Eskimo will always ring true but the Edmonton Football Club is swirling the drain fast and about to lose a lot of fans and supporters because of this one...

- - - Updated - - -

Something else to consider is Dwayne has known about retiring after 50 years for a while. He had a health issue that almost derailed the plan but he fought through it because he wanted to hit the milestone. Not only that acheivement but he's also been grooming his staff to take over for him next year...Now they've completely gutted the staff and from what I've heard they already have replacements in mind at a lower cost. All that knowledge and experience is gone and wasted now. Nice work EEFC.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    It was well known in the Igloo, both in the front office and the locker room that Dwayne was retiring when he hit 50 years. EVERYONE in the organization knew this. BoG, Brock, Presson, players, staff...this is just bullsh!t and there's no excuse for it. The alumni are upset and this is the latest in a long line of colossal f*ck ups that we can't ignore.
    Once an Eskimo, Always an Eskimo will always ring true but the Edmonton Football Club is swirling the drain fast and about to lose a lot of fans and supporters because of this one...

- - - Updated - - -

Something else to consider is Dwayne has known about retiring after 50 years for a while. He had a health issue that almost derailed the plan but he fought through it because he wanted to hit the milestone. Not only that acheivement but he's also been grooming his staff to take over for him next year...Now they've completely gutted the staff and from what I've heard they already have replacements in mind at a lower cost. All that knowledge and experience is gone and wasted now. Nice work EEFC.
    It’s just not the eskimo way is it..

Smh

vCash

So very very true

I’m so disappointed in the team.. I was angry this mornin but it’s turned to disappointment, I understand the current climate it’s tough, I’m not sayin u had to pay anyone anything but all they had to say was were going dark, when it’s right to return your jobs will be here for u..

That way your not paying anyone but your letting folx make the choice move on or return when possible..

As boydo pointed out, we already know dwayne has had health issues for a number of years and we know we have staff in place for a while now that can carry on, when it’s time but let the man leave respectfully .. he earned it like he earned his place on the wall...

We have made some ****ty moves at times.. but This one I can’t get past, it sticks in my throat.. where is the honour and integrity. I love this team but they always do something to let everyone down..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That's bad too.

This is why I say this is also BoG, not JUST Brock and Presson. The bottom line matters to them. And you can guarantee this whole COVID thing is the catalyst behind all of this.

Screw the BoG and screw COVID.

vCash

You need to read a little better. I didn't say it was all on them. They get their orders from the top, just like you do at work.

Classless move either way.
    I can read perfectly fine but thanks for the shot. I also understand that the orders usually come from the top for any business but as a manager myself, when my boss decides to do something and I know it's a bad idea for the company, I go to him and talk him out of it. That's part of any managers JOB is to make sure that the decisions the organization makes is the best decision for the team. This is a horrible, horrible decision not even so much for on the field but how this team looks to the public and a complete failure by this team including Brock. I am not even saying you can't ever get rid of a guy like Dwayne, maybe they tried to keep him on and there just wasn't anyway they could do it. But how they handled it is a freaking classless joke. Not even a statement, NOTHING. Absolute joke by this team that I used to think was above all the rest.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

I can read perfectly fine but thanks for the shot. I also understand that the orders usually come from the top for any business but as a manager myself, when my boss decides to do something and I know it's a bad idea for the company, I go to him and talk him out of it. That's part of any managers JOB is to make sure that the decisions the organization makes is the best decision for the team. This is a horrible, horrible decision not even so much for on the field but how this team looks to the public and a complete failure by this team including Brock. I am not even saying you can't ever get rid of a guy like Dwayne, maybe they tried to keep him on and there just wasn't anyway they could do it. But how they handled it is a freaking classless joke. Not even a statement, NOTHING. Absolute joke by this team that I used to think was above all the rest.
    We look classless.. no two ways round it.. piece of **** move.. it’s wrong on so many levels..
    integrity, loyality, excellence .. ****s happened to that..

vCash

100% agree with this.

vCash

My biggest problem with the way the Mandrusiak firing came to light is that it reeks of "It's just the Equipment Manager" on the organization's part. Absolutely brutal, disgusting and troubling.

vCash
    Blog Entries

No matter who it is...the BoG, Brock, Presson this is a bonehead/classless move. As others have said if they were really up against it money wise then they let everyone go temporarily with the promise that they be re hired when the lights come back on and if it means getting re hired at a lower salary because of the new reality where everyone is making less money including the players then so be it but you leave it up to them to decide. As a football club you do the best you can and in an as honorable way as you can. Under these circumstances you let people like Dwayne make his own decision on how he wants to go out. This just isn't a flagship of the CFL move by any stretch of the imagination and just cements that impression of the club in my mind. Boy do I miss Hugh Campbell.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    We look classless.. no two ways round it.. piece of **** move.. it’s wrong on so many levels..
    integrity, loyality, excellence .. ****s happened to that..
    Totally agree. I don't get what the hell they are doing anymore. All the team would have had to do was come out with a statement about how with the economic climate and the uncertainty of the league, they had no choice but to let him go. Mention about how long he was with the team, how grateful they are for his 49 yrs, put together a short video clip of some highlights. That's it!! Show some freaking class and appreciation to the guy. Sure fans would have still been disappointed but we would have understood. 2020 has been a sh!t year. Covid, economy is in shambles, league is shut down with who knows when it will be coming back. Lots of people have had to lose their jobs so if he had to lose his job, yes it would have sucked but we all get it. People would have been posting about how much 2020 sucks and how sad it his they had to let him go but we would have understood.

But nothing. I get the feeling that if Campbell hadn't of said anything, nothing would have come out about it. Just here's your pink slip, don't let the door hit you in the ass. I am just baffled how my team seems to purposefully make themselves look worse. I guarantee there will be people who won't come back not because they fired the equipment manager but how they handled this. You don't pump the mantra of being the flagship organization, the once an eskimo, always an eskimo then cast aside a 49 yr eskimo like he's worthless.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 09-23-2020 at 09:03 AM.

vCash

Totally agree. I don't get what the hell they are doing anymore. All the team would have had to do was come out with a statement about how with the economic climate and the uncertainty of the league, they had no choice but to let him go. Mention about how long he was with the team, how grateful they are for his 49 yrs, put together a short video clip of some highlights. That's it!! Show some freaking class and appreciation to the guy. Sure fans would have still been disappointed but we would have understood. 2020 has been a sh!t year. Covid, economy is in shambles, league is shut down with who knows when it will be coming back. Lots of people have had to lose their jobs so if he had to lose his job, yes it would have sucked but we all get it. People would have been posting about how much 2020 sucks and how sad it his they had to let him go but we would have understood.

But nothing. I get the feeling that if Campbell hadn't of said anything, nothing would have come out about it. Just here's your pink slip, don't let the door hit you in the ass. I am just baffled how my team seems to purposefully make themselves look worse. I guarantee there will be people who won't come back not because they fired the equipment manager but how they handled this. You don't pump the mantra of being the flagship organization, the once an eskimo, always an eskimo then cast aside a 49 yr eskimo like he's worthless.
    Me too. Public relations quality has gone nowhere but down since Jamieson left, and I'm not even sure they have anyone in that capacity right now - and it shows. Let alone anyone who has any appreciation for this situation at all. When's the last piece of good news we heard about? It's been a long while.

It's a travesty, and like I saw suggested on Twitter this morning, the first game back - the FIRST game back - they had best do something awfully significant to honour a guy who's given 49 years of his life to the club. There's no convincing me that you couldn't have found the money somewhere, even go into a small debt, to keep that position on for another year.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Exactly, bite the bullet and take the cap hit if you need to... This is like benching and then firing at halftime the longtime player that has taken pay cuts, switched positions if need be, and two yards short of breaking a CFL record...

vCash

I don't see a point in having some kind of ceremony after this. For a community run team that preaches loyalty, this is a freaking huge slap in the face. Having a ceremony after the fact isn't going to make people forget how sh!tty, cold and classless they handled this. The damage is done.

vCash

I can understand laying off temporarily but they have done such an amazingly POOR job with this whole situation. And this lays at the feet of the BOG...they have been awful for so long and this really is the cherry on top of it all.

49 years....

Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

I'm so confused. If they were already laid off, he wouldn't have been costing them anything anyways. This is just terrible optics.

I wonder if it went down that they wanted to basically let go all of the staff but him to save costs, and he refused and was shown the door. Still would look just as bad, but I can't believe the management would be so stupid to fail to recognize what this looks like from the outside.

vCash

vCash

But nothing. I get the feeling that if Campbell hadn't of said anything, nothing would have come out about it.
    Well nothing was coming out about it from the EEFC that's for sure. A professional organization doesn't publicly announce who was fired.

I think there is a lot more to this story. Dwayne is free to talk if he wants.

The future of the CFL looks to be in jeopardy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    It's a travesty, and like I saw suggested on Twitter this morning, the first game back - the FIRST game back - they had best do something awfully significant to honour a guy who's given 49 years of his life to the club. There's no convincing me that you couldn't have found the money somewhere, even go into a small debt, to keep that position on for another year.
    Again, keeping him for another year and letting him retire off into the sunset would have SAVED the club money, since you're no longer on the hook for severance for someone with nearly 5 decades of tenure.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Again, keeping him for another year and letting him retire off into the sunset would have SAVED the club money, since you're no longer on the hook for severance for someone with nearly 5 decades of tenure.
    Exactly. Based on the usual factors used to calculate severance, Dwayne should be getting a very substantial severance. I wonder if this was on purpose?