Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Equipment Crew Officially Turfed!!!

vCash

Re: Equipment Crew Officially Turfed!!!

Did they need to let Dwayne go 180 days after all the layoffs? Yes. That is how the law is set up. Employers MUST either bring them back to work or release them after that 6 month period, which is what they did.

The issue many have is how he was let go. I don't believe they can legally say "yes, we are going to re-hire you when all of this comes back", but they can certainly say that they want him back, spend time talking to him, etc. All the people let go got a short call and an email. Many of us have either had to let people go or have been let go ourselves, and we can attest there's a right way to do it, and a wrong way to do it. I think the club did the wrong way - perhaps because the people who are in charge aren't necessarily great Managers of people, like the club used to have way back in the Quincy Moffat days.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Sad to see that we was let go. To give almost 50 years of service to any organization is something that is rarely seen.

Best of luck to Dwayne moving forward.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    I still see this as a miscommunication or an effort to discredit people in an organization we all know has been fractured, rather than some deliberate slap in the face to the guy. I’m not saying they’re perfect, but the pieces all fit...

April 4, TSN reports Eskimos were the latest team to announce widespread layoffs... https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-eskimos-...d-19-1.1463213

May 1, Terry Jones writes a column on Mandrusiak and Presson is quoted saying they tried to treat all staff members equally and, further, all 26 would be hired back when the team could do so... https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...porary-layoffs

The 180 days by law if you take the April 3 date in TSN coverage is Oct. 1. You give all those employees a couple weeks notice that you won’t be bringing the back - treating all the same as they said they would - and make severance agreements. What they did reflects what Presson said.

I guess the team could have made an exception for him from Day 1, given his tenure, but it isn’t out of the realm of possibility they were planning to bring him back just as they said they’d do. If that’s the plan they communicated, why do an announcement or tribute now? And further, paying a severance may be the kind do if they’re skeptical the league will return. Those are real dollars those people will lose if things get much worse.
    I hope this is the case, but if it was, I'm sure there is a way they could have got this message out there even if not in a formal capacity such as an announcement or tribute. Hiding from this ****storm the way they have suggests to me they don't understand that, which is concerning for the long term health of the team. After what has happened the last couple years culminating with the name change, this team can't afford any negative press, so they need this management group to find the best way to navigate it. This example suggests this group might not have the chops to execute what's needed for EE to re-emerge as a strong CFL franchise post-Covid.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Don’t give me the whole no revenue so we have to fire everyone... They’ve known about his intentions for quite a few years already. They know he was going to retire.
    So you keep taking loses by paying someone to do nothing?

While I agree it was a classless move, how do you expect to survive as an organization if you are paying people when you are getting no revenue?

vCash
    Blog Entries

All I'm saying is it's not like the board thought he was going to go on another ten years so they couldn't have a succession plan in place. They've known almost ten years when he was retiring. He's been setting his staff up accordingly and now they literally have nobody to do the job. No, I don't think they should just throw money at everyone...but it seems like there was no effort at all to find a way to keep him on. Reduced salary? Backloaded payplan that starts off low but gets higher as the retirement date comes up? Just keep him on as part time with enough hours to be considered an employee until retirement? Nothing... This and the way that the club's handled this sh!tshow of a dumpster fire is absolutely embarrassing as a fan and alumni member.

In case anyone wants to let the Chair of the BoD what they think...
    Janice Agrios (780)969-6911 Work
    jagrios@kennedyagrios.com

I know a lot of us have sent emails and left messages, but to my knowledge there hasn't been one reply...
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Did they need to let Dwayne go 180 days after all the layoffs? Yes. That is how the law is set up. Employers MUST either bring them back to work or release them after that 6 month period, which is what they did.

The issue many have is how he was let go. I don't believe they can legally say "yes, we are going to re-hire you when all of this comes back", but they can certainly say that they want him back, spend time talking to him, etc. All the people let go got a short call and an email. Many of us have either had to let people go or have been let go ourselves, and we can attest there's a right way to do it, and a wrong way to do it. I think the club did the wrong way - perhaps because the people who are in charge aren't necessarily great Managers of people, like the club used to have way back in the Quincy Moffat days.
    Yeah, if they didn't properly communicate their intention, that isn't appropriate. I don't know if it's a case of Presson thinking his public comments would suffice, if it's a left-hand, right-hand thing between HR and administration, or they simply are as bad people managers as you suggest. I'm really hopeful that this just got out the wrong way and that they find a way to make it right.

vCash

Most of you know I coach High School ball in the Metro Edmonton area, and one day I had a mountain of a 15 yr ask to join. He was all of 6'6 320lbs. We're a small roster team and seem to always be desperate for linemen. So even though we'd played a game, had training camp etc we were delighted to have him join. BUT we couldn't find size 16 cleats anywhere. Kid checked every Sport Chek, called all over the city, no dice. I played WildCats with Mackenzie, Dwayne's son, so I reached out to see if his Dad might have a pair that we could buy for this kid versus ordering online. Dwayne got back to us within hours and the kid was given a pair of cleats. That's the kind of outreach that Dwayne did and should be honored for.

Whether they intend to bring him back or not a nod to his service and dedication is more than appropriate. We used to be the flagship of the league because we never let the details, like this, slip. Honestly I chalk it up to bringing in non-Eskimo folk. When you have good culture you hire from within. When culture sucks you hire from outside to change it. Our culture was GREAT, but we hired from the outside and this is the result.

(Big kid lasted one game, didn't like contact, but we kept the cleats in the equipment room for the next genetic freak to grace us with his presence.)
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

IMO, I can't believe the organization could be so tone deaf as to not at least put out a boilerplate message saying "thanks for your service". So this is my theory: The 180 days is coming up, so the organization knows it need to make a move. They call up Dwayne and ask him to retire (so they don't have to pay severance). Dwayne refuses. Management is pissed, and not acknowledging Dwayne's service is their petty and pathetic way of exacting their revenge. This maybe explains why the EE refuse to even put out the simplest "Thanks".

Or maybe the organization really is that tone deaf.... which would not bode well for the future.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Okay. That's it. The last straw. Out.

If I can't support the local team and the league is a mess....

Gotta go, folks. Thanks, Phil. Really appreciate the site these last 20 years.

vCash

its horse ****.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Just an email and a quick phone call. Grrrrrr.

vCash

I sent an email to Janice Agrios yesterday voicing my displeasure with the way that Dwayne’s dismissal was handled and I received the following response:

Dear Ryan – Thank you for your message. I understand the disappointment that many are feeling. The Club can't talk specifically about the employment of any particular employee and that is why there has not been any public comment.

What I can say is that, like many businesses, with no revenue coming in, we have had to make some very difficult decisions regarding employees. These decisions are not made lightly. No one wants to lay off any employees. We all wish that the team was playing football and that the Club could retain all of its employees.

I am hoping that you and others will understand that we are doing our best to manage in very difficult circumstances and that you will continue to support the Club.

Janice Agrios

vCash

Bombers laid off their equipment manager now as well..

Understandable that Covid will have these knock on effects to every business.. there is no money and no business coming in for the cfl ...

It’s the handling of dwayne that doesn’t sit right with me..

However we also have to understand that they have been off work for a long time and it’s never easy for all involved.. it’s terrible for all involved..

Sadly with how this was handled even if the Eskimos offered dwayne the chance to return he couldn’t after the public spat and outcry from players and us fans..

Sad way for dwayne to go.. heartbreaking really it will be the same for the stamps if they lose thier guy.. he’s been there a long time.. however in sure they will learn from the eskimos and not look like complete dicks..

vCash

vCash

Like many of us have said, it comes down to the handling of Dwayne. We all get that these are difficult times and financially they had to make tough decisions. Paying your equipment manager just to hang out when there is no football nor does anyone have a clue if/when it will be back doesn't make financial sense. We get it!! But how he was let go wasn't handled properly. He was with the team for 49 yrs, he's a legend around the city and the CFL. The few in here that are sticking up for the team and making up whatever excuse for the team clearly don't get why people are upset. When you have a person that has given that much time and effort to not only the team but the community, they deserve more than just treating him like any other employee. You don't treat a 49 yr employee exactly the same as the usher that was hired 6 months ago when letting him/her go. You just don't. That's not how it's supposed to work. The whole what I call BS excuse about us not knowing everything and maybe they will hire him back, doesn't matter. You don't fire a 49 yr old legendary employee and not say a freaking thing. You don't to have a huge ceremony or a press conference, how about a simple "thank you for your service". Show some respect and class to a guy that gave you 49 yrs. Who seriously is going to give the Esks trouble legally for thanking a long term employee? The CFLPA said thank you to Dwayne, most of whom weren't even on the Esks and his freaking employer can't??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Bombers laid off their equipment manager now as well..

Understandable that Covid will have these knock on effects to every business.. there is no money and no business coming in for the cfl ...

It’s the handling of dwayne that doesn’t sit right with me..

However we also have to understand that they have been off work for a long time and it’s never easy for all involved.. it’s terrible for all involved..

Sadly with how this was handled even if the Eskimos offered dwayne the chance to return he couldn’t after the public spat and outcry from players and us fans..

Sad way for dwayne to go.. heartbreaking really it will be the same for the stamps if they lose thier guy.. he’s been there a long time.. however in sure they will learn from the eskimos and not look like complete dicks..
    EXACTLY!! Would anyone serious be upset if the Esks came out and gave them trouble if they said "Thanks for 49 great years Dwayne". You wouldn't even have to say anything about him being let go. That news could just come out after the statement. But honestly, when is it a terrible thing to show appreciate to anyone no just the Esks but life in general?
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    I sent an email to Janice Agrios yesterday voicing my displeasure with the way that Dwayne’s dismissal was handled and I received the following response:

Dear Ryan – Thank you for your message. I understand the disappointment that many are feeling. The Club can't talk specifically about the employment of any particular employee and that is why there has not been any public comment.
    Bah what a load of trash. They post release statements and signings all the time for players. WHO ARE EMPLOYEES!
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Bah what a load of trash. They post release statements and signings all the time for players. WHO ARE EMPLOYEES!
    that is horse ****. They need to take a long hard look in the mirror this is not the eskimo way.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    that is horse ****. They need to take a long hard look in the mirror this is not the eskimo way.
    Well they're ok then...since we're not the Eskimos anymore...

vCash

Well they're ok then...since we're not the Eskimos anymore...
    I'll still be calling them that ... :P

Its not the EEFC way Better?

vCash

vCash

So the locker room sale is online this year and is up and running. Good chance to get some player worn stuff for a lot of us that can't make it to the annual sale.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    So the locker room sale is online this year and is up and running. Good chance to get some player worn stuff for a lot of us that can't make it to the annual sale.

No helmets though... Bummer.

vCash

I know. I was going to buy one last year but thought I'd wait until this year. Hopefully they maybe add those on the site in the future???
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    I know. I was going to buy one last year but thought I'd wait until this year. Hopefully they maybe add those on the site in the future???
    Yeah, I'm thinking there might be a slow rollout of stuff just to ensure the site doesn't crash.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Not that I need another one, mine's in a case waiting for the basement to be done so I can set my display up. Nothing quite as elaborate or extensive as Parkies...but what I have is pretty cool.

vCash

They likely sold the actual game worn helmets last year and have just new ones for 2020, and since that didn't happen, and no staff to decal up new ones... best to keep those as-is.

I find it strange that they had a Trevor Harris and Greg Ellingson "game worn" jersey... How were those not sold out at the 2019 sale??
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

The more I read this story, about the EE equipment manager being canned after 49 years of service - and without any public expression of regret or gratitude from the EE organization - the more it troubles me. Is this really accurate, the whole picture? If so, the organization is rotten at the top. This is a horrific, it is shocking.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    They likely sold the actual game worn helmets last year and have just new ones for 2020, and since that didn't happen, and no staff to decal up new ones... best to keep those as-is.

I find it strange that they had a Trevor Harris and Greg Ellingson "game worn" jersey... How were those not sold out at the 2019 sale??
    They didn’t sell because they were so expensive most likely.