Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season

vCash

Re: 2021 Season

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    First off F*ck Chris Jones!! He's bailed on every team he's been with and while he produced results here, he also butt humped us the night before the Grey Cup and took the whole coaching staff as well as some players too. I'd rather have the mobster's son here again... Or Higgins even! Jones can go take his cast iron frying pan and cook himself a big bag of d's in it for all I care.

As for Milanovich...I am so disappointed in him for pulling something like this. I'd love it if the club took a stand and made him sit the year out. Pay him his salary and take the hit to the cap, but don't let him just "resign"... That's bs and everyone here knows it. Pretty sure he said he wasn't interested in going back south but when would that make a difference? Ugh. What a crap day.
    Agree 10000000000000% on Chris Jones. He's a DB...and I don't mean Defensive Back. Never want him near this team again.

As for Milanovich....I get the whole NFL opportunity thing but honestly, don't accept the Head Coach position here if you were ready and willing to bail that quickly at the first NFL team that flips up their skirt. So F him too.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

It's a COVID year... yeah, Milanovich never coached a game for us, but he did commit to do so, and would have done it if there had been games for him to coach. And he (like the rest of us) couldn't possibly have predicted the uncertainty that COVID has brought to the league.

These guys have families to support, food to put on the table, and career trajectories to consider. As disappointed as I am to see him leave without ever taking the field, I can't say that I'm angry at him for it.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Remember that the Esks staff didn't have extensions tabled to them or discussions and had pay withheld prior to the Regina exodus. Thats not on CJ. As I said earlier on its at least 50-50 with Swerve and considering how he left here/ BC, its probably more like 70-30 on Hervey...
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash
    Blog Entries

I would LOVE Jones back here even tho he screwed us around the last time ,he would not have the power he had with the green and whites but Iím guessing that Milanovich cost a pretty penny I thought I heard 400,000+ but if Jones comes back and he was on Twitter saying he wants another shot with EE that would spell the end of Thorpe I would think , I would like Elizondo to be our OC /asst HC . Who does everybody else want here

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    It's a COVID year... yeah, Milanovich never coached a game for us, but he did commit to do so, and would have done it if there had been games for him to coach. And he (like the rest of us) couldn't possibly have predicted the uncertainty that COVID has brought to the league.

These guys have families to support, food to put on the table, and career trajectories to consider. As disappointed as I am to see him leave without ever taking the field, I can't say that I'm angry at him for it.
    It really makes you wonder how much a QB coach in the NFL makes compared to an HC here... As for the pay, I'm not begrudging him for having mouths to feed - but they didn't have a pay cut last season, and there's been no mention about one this year.
    I think I'd be more ok with it if he was going to be an HC in the NFL...maybe even an OC...but a fricking QB coach? Really?
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Iíd love Jones back to but that would be the end to Thorpe as it would just not work with both on the staff

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Remember that the Esks staff didn't have extensions tabled to them or discussions and had pay withheld prior to the Regina exodus. Thats not on CJ. As I said earlier on its at least 50-50 with Swerve and considering how he left here/ BC, its probably more like 70-30 on Hervey...
    True

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    It really makes you wonder how much a QB coach in the NFL makes compared to an HC here... As for the pay, I'm not begrudging him for having mouths to feed - but they didn't have a pay cut last season, and there's been no mention about one this year.
    I think I'd be more ok with it if he was going to be an HC in the NFL...maybe even an OC...but a fricking QB coach? Really?
    Top quarterbacks coaches and offensive coordinators in the NFL can earn six-figure salaries; some can top $1 million. When New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton was the quarterbacks coach with the Dallas Cowboys in 2005, he made at least $1 million, according to the Los Angeles Times.
    https://www.sapling.com/12036435/sal...rterback-coach

Whether Milanovich would be up there, I don't know... but given his record, he sure wouldn't be at the bottom.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

HOWS EVERYBODY? sorry for yelling. Its been a loooong time since ive checked in on here. Still love you all and havent forgotten this place, hopefully you guys remember me haha. Partly been away just from information overload with covid etc, and seeing news on esks didnt seem as important in terms of FA's whatnot until we actually get going if at all. FA a free for all anyway, hard to keep up. Literally everybody starting from scratch. hard to follow.

As for Chris Jones, i'll pass. Most you guys forgot how it went down? and how he is? now we going to forget it all and go on our knees for him now? lol i mean i get its a business but still.
    But more importantly, it doesnt really make sense seing as Thorpe is the defensive mind already. Dont need two, and with covid dollars, teams also want to cut back on positions etc so...

We just should elevate thorpe and find OC id say.
    OR default find HC with offense brain.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    From Milanovich's perspective I get the incentive to jump if:
    1) compensation is better (and would a positional coach really make more, with more term than an HC???)
    2) or if the CFL gig has given his salary cuts last year (cancelled season) and/or this year - you aren't getting what you were promised.

But otherwise it is a slap in the face to commit to a job and back out. He knew signing here was taking on more responsibilities as HC and forgoing NFL networking, in exchange for term and salary.
    Before Sean Paynton left Dallas for New Orleans he was making $1M as QB coach with the Cowboys. That's an extreme example. In the same article they referenced former USC QBC Norm Chow making $500K in 2005 before jumping to the NFL. It also referenced a U of South Carolina QBC forfeiting 1 month or $14600 salary ($175,200 annual) for some hot water he got into back in 2011. In the grand scheme of the pecking order of NFL coaches I think the Quarterback Coach is deemed probably the most important after HC, OC and DC.

Regardless with the FOPs cap set in the CFL impacting HC salaries it's safe to assume most NFL QB Coaches make more than a CFL HC, considerably more in many cases. Put it this way I highly doubt any CFL HC is making as much as $500K CDN and I highly doubt many, if any, NFL QBCs are making less than $500K USD.

I think for Milanovich it's about the opportunity and familiarity with newly promoted Colt OC Marcus Brady. Brady was Milanovich's OC for his final 5 years in Toronto. He left the Argos for Indy shortly after Milanovich was fired and Trestman hired. Brady was the Colts QBC and was promoted to OC today. Obviously he immediately reached out to his old boss Milanovich to see if he'd be interested in them working together again. I don't think we'd be talking about this if not for the long established working relationship Brady and Milanovich had already built up.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 01-25-2021 at 03:19 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post

They do, but Milanovich was likely one of the only ones in Edmonton that still was getting paid and able to do so. I get the uncertainty, but he still has pretty good security unless he truly believes the league doesn't get off the ground this summer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post

As for Chris Jones, i'll pass. Most you guys forgot how it went down? and how he is? now we going to forget it all and go on our knees for him now? lol i mean i get its a business but still.

Got a promotion (to GM) and got to secure the financials for his assistants. Can't fault a guy for that. Not to mention we went from 4-14 to 12-6 to 14-4 with his arrival! Plus a Grey Cup.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    When the NFL is still somewhat viable, and when the CFL is allegedly on the brink of extinction...then yes, it makes a world of difference.

I hate Scott leaving as much as the next EE fan, but I can't blame him for wanting to pursue job security.
    Where are you seeing their on the brink of extinction???

Well this sucks. Is this official or just rumour at this point?

I’d take CJ back in a heartbeat.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    HOWS EVERYBODY? sorry for yelling. Its been a loooong time since ive checked in on here. Still love you all and havent forgotten this place, hopefully you guys remember me haha. Partly been away just from information overload with covid etc, and seeing news on esks didnt seem as important in terms of FA's whatnot until we actually get going if at all. FA a free for all anyway, hard to keep up. Literally everybody starting from scratch. hard to follow.

But more importantly, it doesnt really make sense seing as Thorpe is the defensive mind already. Dont need two, and with covid dollars, teams also want to cut back on positions etc so...

We just should elevate thorpe and find OC id say.
    OR default find HC with offense brain.

I'd see it moreso right now that he's down on his knees looking for the opportunity as his NFL option fell apart quickly, and basically every coach in the CFL has pretty good odds at surviving until at least late 2022.

BC - Campbell - will be his first season taking over a team that really sucked last time we played. He'll get at least a 2nd year based off his past record.
    Cgy - Younger Dick - has had quite a bit of success over his short tenure. One season removed from a Grey Cup victory. Very small chance of him being fired unless Calgary drops to something like 3-15.
    Ssk - Older Dick - first season at the helm steers them to first place with a fairly unknown QB prior to that season. Should get one more year no matter what after Sask got the cold shoulder from Jones.
    Wpg - O'Shea - just won their first Cup in decades. Even with a bad season, they'll give him another chance.
    Tor - Dinwiddie - is brand new so unless he ****s the bed, I'd imagine they'd give him a second year unless it's even worse than the last few years. There's a little more chance that they'd pull the plug quicker now though with some time passed to get the multiple coaching contracts off the books, but this team won't want to be firing many guys with their current finances.
    Ott - LaPolice - First year at the helm after a terrible year last time they played, as long as he outperforms last season, he should get a second year.
    Hamiltion - Steinhauer's rookie year was amazing. No way they pull the plug if the team struggles this year.
    Montreal - Jones brought them from the brink of irrelevance to a contender in his first season which he took over amongst tons of distractions. They'll give him another year no matter.

Jones' only profile gig right now where they could afford him is probably Edmonton (Toronto probably couldn't afford him).

All that said, I agree with everything else. We wouldn't want to turf Thorpe that way when we'd still be on the hook for his money, and I could see BS being intimidated at the thought of working with Jones.

vCash

I'm on the fence when it comes to Chris Jones as you know if he comes it isn't a long term thing but then again what in the CFL is a long term thing? He would bring a proven track record of winning that comes with uncertainty. I also wonder if Sunderland would even consider him knowing that he's a Chris Jones first guy that will throw Brock under the bus for a promotion.

I understand why Scott did what he did but I'm still disappointed, that being said my coaching candidates would be Elizondo, Thorpe and Jones
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

vCash

I'm quite happy with Thorpe or Jones. But I'll make another point in CJ's favour. Lots of people on here are not fans of BS, having a guy in CJ in house with GM experience is certainly a positive. BUT that might also be a negative as Looner points out.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I'd see it moreso right now that he's down on his knees looking for the opportunity as his NFL option fell apart quickly, and basically every coach in the CFL has pretty good odds at surviving until at least late 2022.

Cgy - Younger Dick - has had quite a bit of success over his short tenure. One season removed from a Grey Cup victory. Very small chance of him being fired unless Calgary drops to something like 3-15..
    There's nothing about Dickenson's history to date that would lend one to think the Stamps would hit the skids like that. If that were to happen it would more likely be because Hufnagel and his FOPs staff suddenly became incompetent at keeping the talent base up at the level it's been since Huf arrived in 2008. If Dickenson does leave in the foreseeable future I have no doubt it's because the NFL has come calling to offer him a job. As long as Calgary remains a top contender on annual basis I think it's only a matter of time before he gets such an offer.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm quite happy with Thorpe or Jones. But I'll make another point in CJ's favour. Lots of people on here are not fans of BS, having a guy in CJ in house with GM experience is certainly a positive. BUT that might also be a negative as Looner points out.
    If that were the case would BS not see CJ as a potential threat? Jones always gives me the impression of wanting as much control over everything as he can possibly get.

vCash

If they hire Thorpe or Jones, they'd still have the problem of needing and OC. With Jones I know he can do the HC job and do it well. With Thorpe, he's been around a long time and never seems to get much of a sniff at a HC job so why is that? So that's a big time concern when it comes to Thorpe as HC. One problem is if you bring in Jones, he'd had to be cool with being just the HC as with the management salary cap I think if you fire Thorpe, it counts against the cap. Maybe someone else knows that for sure.

Either way, for all the chest pounding some people did with the Milanovich hiring, he sure screwed the Esks over here.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Jones has been known as a mercernary, egomaniac or control freak and someone who acts in his own self interest, but there was some clear tampering there and that isnít a one-sided thing. Bottom line, he knows how to win. I might have been roasted here for saying it, but I wanted CJ over Hervey.

That said, youíve got both the logistics and respect of having Thorpe in place, plus the stupid salary cap. Iím not sure if there are implications with Milanovich himself, but they canít afford to pay Thorpe to go away, pay Jonesí ransom and replace the several offensive hats Milanovich wore. Elizondo makes sense with his familiarity with the franchise QB.

It would be interesting all that aside if Jones and Sunderland could work together. I think Jones would be kept in check by a strong GM, which I think BS is, but their personalities may really clash.
    Last edited by BeaverSports; 01-25-2021 at 05:19 PM.

vCash

Hervey and Jones clashed. Everyone blamed Jones being the "bad guy"... I think Hervey should have some of that light shone on him.

Also Players loved Jones, and want to play for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    Jones has been known as a mercernary, egomaniac or control freak and someone who acts in his own self interest, but there was some clear tampering there and that isn’t a one-sided thing. Bottom line, he knows how to win. I might have been roasted here for saying it, but I wanted CJ over Hervey.

That said, you’ve got both the logistics and respect of having Thorpe in place, plus the stupid salary cap. I’m not sure if there are implications with Milanovich himself, but they can’t afford to pay Thorpe to go away, pay Jones’ ransom and replace the several offensive hats Milanovich wore. Elizondo makes sense with his familiarity with the franchise QB.

It would be interesting all that aside if Jones and Sunderland could work together. I think Jones would be kept in check by a strong GM, which I think BS is, but their personalities may really clash.
    I'm not sure BS has the guts to hire someone who could potentially replace him.

I'd love Jones though, and maybe he and Thorpe can work together. Elizondo seems like a natural fit as well.

Pretty upsetting that we never got to see Milanovich coach a game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I'm not sure BS has the guts to hire someone who could potentially replace him.

I'd love Jones though, and maybe he and Thorpe can work together. Elizondo seems like a natural fit as well.

Pretty upsetting that we never got to see Milanovich coach a game.
    I donít know. I think Milanovich could have been qualified to replace him too. Heís certainly well connected. I just donít see the overlap in Jones and Thorpe making a lot of sense.

What about a guy like Trestman?

vCash

If Jones was hired Thorpe would be as good as gone unless severance costs against FOPs cap made that impossible. Since finishing his first year in Edmonton Chris Jones' DC has been Chris Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    I don’t know. I think Milanovich could have been qualified to replace him too. He’s certainly well connected. I just don’t see the overlap in Jones and Thorpe making a lot of sense.

What about a guy like Trestman?
    Good point about Milanovich.

I could be wrong but I thought Thorpe was a branch off the Jones tree so maybe CJ would be comfortable handing the D off to him like he was planning to do with Shivers in Sask.

I’ve always been a Trestman fan and would be in favour of bringing him in as well.

vCash

I could be wrong but I thought Thorpe was a branch off the Jones tree so maybe CJ would be comfortable handing the D off to him like he was planning to do with Shivers in Sask.
    They both joined Montreal's staff in 2002. Jones joined as DL Coach for 2002 then was promoted to DC the following year and held that position until leaving after 2007. Thorpe was hired as Special Teams Coordinator and held that role until leaving the Larks along with Jones when Trestman was hired and cleaned house. Thorpe did however take on the responsibilities of DB Coach from 2003-07. Given both were Coordinators together at the same time I don't think Thorpe taking on extra defensive responsibilities qualifies him as being a "branch" off Jones' tree. Both would have been reporting directly to HC Don Matthews until Oct 2006 then Jim Popp for the rest of their stay meaning if anything both were branches off the Matthews tree. Ironically given the topic de jour Trestman brought in Milanovich as OC and Elizondo as Receivers Coach to help fill his original staff. 2002-07 with Montreal is the only time Jones and Thorpe worked together.

vCash

So does that make Milanovich the only undefeated coach in EEFC history?

vCash

I'm willing to bet that Thorpe would be the DC by title only in that scenario. They would also still need an OC, and I don't think they can afford both Jones and an OC, unless they can release Thorpe and not have his salary count toward operations SMS. I personally think we will hire an OC and either that person or Thorpe will be the HC.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    So does that make Milanovich the only undefeated coach in EEFC history?
    And the only winless coach?

vCash

I was really on the Elizondo train earlier today, but I do wonder about another first-time head coach.

Thatís partially what keeps bringing me back to Trestman (whom Rod Peterson apparently claims is interested). Heís won with two franchises and a lot of good coaches learned under him. It always kind of struck me how guys like Ray talked about him after the last win in Toronto and the way he treated his players and created a family atmosphere. You hear it a lot withchampionships, but it was neat to see these guys who had won say how different the guy was.