Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season

vCash

Attention 2021 Season

Figured this could be started in a new thread as I didn't think this fit anywhere.

Lots going on in the background for the 2021 season it appears.

vCash

Re: 2021 Season

That is great to hear. Before we consider our hopes and dreams for what will happen in the 2021 season, the #1 concern is whether there will be a 2021 season.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    That is great to hear. Before we consider our hopes and dreams for what will happen in the 2021 season, the #1 concern is whether there will be a 2021 season.
    Exactly this. I'll believe opening day happens when I see it.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Another threat at losing Milanovich before he even coaches a game here.

vCash

If we lose Scott M without seeing what he can do AND have to go through another ****ing process of finding a new HC etc

I'm done.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

Another threat at losing Milanovich before he even coaches a game here.
    Well that would suck for us. If SM were to head south I wonder if it would just be a fait accompli for Noel Thorpe to finally get a HCing job with us.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

What do fans think about bringing back Chris Jones if SM leaves?
    I believe 3 Down Nation reported him being available a couple weeks back.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

We’re gonna lose milanovich now. U just bloody watch.

Stupid pandemic..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    What do fans think about bringing back Chris Jones if SM leaves?
    I believe 3 Down Nation reported him being available a couple weeks back.
    Amazing coach... it take him back. Welcome home coach etc etc... the guy wins.. period..

vCash

TSN says he has resigned.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Furkmyster View Post
    TSN says he has resigned.
    Jaime elizondo.. next Hc

I’m calling it now...

vCash

Well that's freaking awesome. Hasn't coached a down of football and he up and resigns.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Just what this team needed, too. We were so stable otherwise....
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Chris Jones as Gone on twitter saying he’s wants back in.. mmmmm

vCash

I would 1000% take him back. I believed him leaving was equal parts him/ Hervey not seeing eye to eye, and considering how Swerves tenure here and in BC ended well... I'll take Chris Jones.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

I would 1000% take him back. I believed him leaving was equal parts him/ Hervey not seeing eye to eye, and considering how Swerves tenure here and in BC ended well... I'll take Chris Jones.
    What about thorpe though? Jones is gonna wanna do his stuff.. which imho is a key ingredient in bringing him back. His defence was amazing..

I have no qualms about bringing him back

Oc would be an issue.. and thorpe would also be an issue..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Just what this team needed, too. We were so stable otherwise....
    If true, Elizondo does make a lot of sense given his involvement in the previous process and the collapse of that league. He's familiar with the people involved and I think he's available.

Although I think I'd get it if Milanovich went for the security and prestige of the NFL paycheque, I would be fairly disappointed in his character because he made it very clear at the time of the announcement that he didn't want to chase that any more and he wanted to the guy making the decisions.

While there seems to be an unwritten rule in sports about not holding a guy back from advancement, you almost wonder if there was an out clause in the contract and if the Esks - er ,the EE - make an issue or pursue the legal realm on this one. It's a big blow on the eve of free agency.

vCash

**** me.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Unfortunate as it is, I can't say that I blame him. Who knows if the CFL will ever kick off another game ever again?
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    What about thorpe though? Jones is gonna wanna do his stuff.. which imho is a key ingredient in bringing him back. His defence was amazing..

Oc would be an issue.. and thorpe would also be an issue..
    Well Sunderland knows Elizondo who has worked with Thorpe before although it would make more sense to give Thorpe the HCing job and try to lure Elizondo rather than the other way around. Does Sunderland even know Chris Jones? Would he get along with him? Whether we like it or not relationships often enter into the equation. Would Chris Jones be able to work with the current staff or would he be starting from scratch? Would any of his guys currently in Regina leave to join him here? Who would our OC be if Chris Jones were hired, McAdoo?
    Last edited by adb; 01-25-2021 at 12:06 PM.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

The reason I'd not be inclined to take him back is moreso how he left Saskatchewan than how he left us. Leaving for the greater opportunity early in an off-season is understandable. Leaving a week after signing an extension when holding multiple roles deeper into the off-season when you're also GM was poor form. That said, Milanovich has just done the exact same thing even ten days later in an off-season than Jones did, albeit under different circumstances (i.e. COVID and league resumption questions).

For talent in the role, I'd take him back in a heart beat, but would be concerned about his commitment to the team.
    Last edited by bone; 01-25-2021 at 12:05 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post

OC would be an issue.. and Thorpe might also be an issue..
    I guess it depends what contracts Thorpe, Gass, Eisler etc have. It maybe dependent on the HC situation? You're right Jones would bring back the blitz happy aggressive scheme. Wiki says Thorpe and CJ overlapped in Mtl back in the day so they have familiarity of person and potentially scheme.

Sunderland was a scout with the Als back then too according to Wiki.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Well Sunderland knows Elizondo who has worked with Thorpe before although it would make more sense to give Thorpe the HCing job and try to lure Elizondo rather than the other way around. Does Sunderland even know Chris Jones? Would he get along with him? Whether we like it or not relationships often enter into the equation. Would Chris Jones be able to work with the current staff or would he be starting from scratch? Would any of his guys in regain leave to join him here?
    Thorpes been around the CFL so long and hasn't shown the propensity to jump ship at an NFL gig. That stability alone is worthy of a shot.
    I'd be happy with him or CJ.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Holy sh*t. Talk about a " blue monday." SM gets paid for a season and doesn't even coach a game. Can't blame the guy because it's a promotion . Don't know if I'm all lovey, dovey about Jones coming back. Super coach but seems to have happy feet and then what happens to Thorpe. No way Jones won' t be the DC also. Would Thorpe stay in a lesser role ?

Name change, now coaching change. Tough being an Esk fan, oops being an Edmonton Football Team fan.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Holy sh*t. Talk about a " blue monday." SM gets paid for a season and doesn't even coach a game. Can't blame the guy because it's a promotion . Don't know if I'm all lovey, dovey about Jones coming back. Super coach but seems to have happy feet and then what happens to Thorpe. No way Jones won' t be the DC also. Would Thorpe stay in a lesser role ?

Name change, now coaching change. Tough being an Esk fan, oops being an Edmonton Football Team fan.
    That's all the challenge right now. Jones is the best HC available but then we need to hire an OC as well and probably terminate Thorpe which isn't fair. It may be best to look at Elizondo (if he's allowed) or promote Thorpe and find just an OC.

But the fact that Jones probably is the best HC available makes it tempting. Too bad Maas couldn't be our OC under Jones. I'd love to see that team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    The reason I'd not be inclined to take him back is moreso how he left Saskatchewan than how he left us. Leaving for the greater opportunity early in an off-season is understandable. Leaving a week after signing an extension when holding multiple roles deeper into the off-season when you're also GM was poor form. That said, Milanovich has just done the exact same thing even ten days later in an off-season than Jones did, albeit under different circumstances (i.e. COVID and league resumption questions).

For talent in the role, I'd take him back in a heart beat, but would be concerned about his commitment to the team.
    Jones also bailed out on the Stamps to take a coaching job with the Argos without asking permission from Calgary about 2010 or 2011.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Jones also bailed out on the Stamps to take a coaching job with the Argos without asking permission from Calgary about 2010 or 2011.
    Yup. Definitely a pattern with him. You'd hope getting turfed so quickly in Cleveland maybe served him up some humble pie and he'd consider getting into something stable, but you know what to expect with him, and it's not likely long term.

Though if he was able to deliver a Grey Cup in a short term arrangement again, I'd forgive him for bailing even if he did it again.

vCash

From Milanovich's perspective I get the incentive to jump if:
    1) compensation is better (and would a positional coach really make more, with more term than an HC???)
    2) or if the CFL gig has given his salary cuts last year (cancelled season) and/or this year - you aren't getting what you were promised.

But otherwise it is a slap in the face to commit to a job and back out. He knew signing here was taking on more responsibilities as HC and forgoing NFL networking, in exchange for term and salary.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Yup. Definitely a pattern with him. You'd hope getting turfed so quickly in Cleveland maybe served him up some humble pie and he'd consider getting into something stable, but you know what to expect with him, and it's not likely long term.

Though if he was able to deliver a Grey Cup in a short term arrangement again, I'd forgive him for bailing even if he did it again.
    Whatever happens Sunderland is going to need a bigger phone plan. He supposedly has excellent connections down south. I just hope we don't lose him.. i can't see BS being slow to steady things here.

There was also some talk about some character concerns regarding Jones while here. But it could be just sour grapes because of the way he left.

vCash
    Blog Entries

First off F*ck Chris Jones!! He's bailed on every team he's been with and while he produced results here, he also butt humped us the night before the Grey Cup and took the whole coaching staff as well as some players too. I'd rather have the mobster's son here again... Or Higgins even! Jones can go take his cast iron frying pan and cook himself a big bag of d's in it for all I care.

As for Milanovich...I am so disappointed in him for pulling something like this. I'd love it if the club took a stand and made him sit the year out. Pay him his salary and take the hit to the cap, but don't let him just "resign"... That's bs and everyone here knows it. Pretty sure he said he wasn't interested in going back south but when would that make a difference? Ugh. What a crap day.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Pretty sure he said he wasn't interested in going back south but when would that make a difference? Ugh. What a crap day.
    When the NFL is still somewhat viable, and when the CFL is allegedly on the brink of extinction...then yes, it makes a world of difference.

I hate Scott leaving as much as the next EE fan, but I can't blame him for wanting to pursue job security.
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo