Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Around the CFL - 2021

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2021

Also underrated will be how vets faired in the offseason/ year long hiatus. Some likely didn't have a fall back option and are hurting. I'm honestly shocked to see Wilder Jr back for example. I suspect some vets jumped at the first offer given because having a pro football gig is better then what they were trying to do to make ends meet?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    From what I recall the League closed the loophole that would still allow that... otherwise Saskatchewan would have more consultants than you could shake a stick at!
    Rider fans are continuously throwing rocks from their glass grain elevators. Every other team in the CFL, especially the privately owned clubs, are suspected of hijinx to get more money to players that slips under the SMS radar. Riders? Squeaky clean. Books are wide open they say. You tell me though in what CFL city would you find local businesses most likely to act like those NCAA alumni who used to eagerly slip cars, cash, non-existant jobs etc to help lure a top recruit to commit to their old alma mater. As the Riders are a community owned club such businesses are defacto owners. I do have issues if a team or local business provides a player or significant other under the table compensation to do nothing in return. I have no issue whatsoever if the same entities help facilitate a player or his SA land work where they are actually doing the job they are paid to do and providing good value for the money.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 02-12-2021 at 06:35 PM.

vCash

Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

vCash

vCash

cap? what cap?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    We aren't over the cap, because the cap doesn't come into effect until we actually start paying dollars, usually not until the regular season starts, but under usual circumstances it would include signing bonuses, etc. I believe the CFL had said teams shouldn't be offering those this year, so if that's the case, no team is over the cap because no money has actually changed hands.

Once we get to game 1, then we can see what our roster looks like and if we might be in cap hell.

What this does tell us, is maybe we will be jettisoning some of these contracts by the time the season rolls around -- assuming there is one to look at.
    Here's a quote from John Hodge's Insider Talk article on 3DownNation(https://3downnation.com/2021/02/17/i...ent-signing/):

"It seems like every guy Edmonton re-signed except for Vontae Diggs got over $100,000. Updating my cap sheet for them is interesting. The math is ugly."

I get your point regarding it not really being an issue as players can always get cut but if we end up having to do so just because we signed them to contracts that we couldn't afford and not primarily on ability then that's not good management IMO. But maybe the strategy is something along the lines of sign players like SirV and Dennis by giving them big contracts and whichever one performs better in camp we just cut the other one.
    Last edited by adb; 02-17-2021 at 11:04 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Here's a quote from John Hodge's Insider Talk article on 3DownNation(https://3downnation.com/2021/02/17/i...ent-signing/):

"It seems like every guy Edmonton re-signed except for Vontae Diggs got over $100,000. Updating my cap sheet for them is interesting. The math is ugly."

I get your point regarding it not really being an issue as players can always get cut but if we end up having to do so just because we signed them to contracts that we couldn't afford and not primarily on ability then that's not good management IMO. But maybe the strategy is something along the lines of sign players like SirV and Dennis by giving them big contracts and whichever one performs better in camp we just cut the other one.
    We don't know who is making the team, and who is getting cut. Yes, you might see someone get released, but you might also see contracts get re-structured. This happens all the time on all teams, by all GMs, so I'll take a "wait and see" approach before worrying about our cap when we don't even know if we will see a season. Time will tell.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm dizzy just from reading in circles...
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

so ya, he has no ****ing plan. But hey, give it up for those European players......

vCash

I think one of the commish's biggest failings during his tenure is his "selective" transparency. He tells us a lot about stuff we really don't care about, and avoids details on the things fans (and players) want to know about. It's not enough to say "we have a plan". People need to know the plan.

vCash

vCash

vCash

This is EXCELLENT News!

vCash

An ELKcellent step forward.

vCash

vCash

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 02-26-2021 at 11:01 AM.