Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2021

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Around the CFL - 2021

Oh how the mighty have fallen...I mean its nice to go back to your old stomping grounds but Im thinking this has to be disappointing at least in terms of salary if nothing else but he seems genuinely excited about it so good for him I guess...https://3downnation.com/2021/03/08/f...ead-coach-job/
    Last edited by adb; 03-09-2021 at 09:40 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

As a coach or coordinator he won 4 GC. He'll be back in the CFL soon enough.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Promising sign of CFL teams preparing to work with health authorities on plans to have fans in the stands this season. Late yesterday the Lions sent an email to all season ticket holders asking us to fill out a brief survey.

Questions were:

3. Please select the option that best describes how you use your season tickets
    __ I use my tickets personally and all attendees are part of the same household.
    __ I use my tickets for business purposes and there are generally different people using the seats.
    __ I use my tickets for both business purposes and personal enjoyment.
    __ I use my tickets personally, however we are not from the same household. I would consider my seatmates to be part my close social bubble, in situations where that is allowed.
    __ I use my tickets personally, however I generally attend with various friends from outside my household throughout the season.
    __ None of these options represent how I use my tickets. Please have my personal account representative contact me to discuss.

Question Title

4. IN YOUR OWN WORDS:
    Please provide us with any information that would help us understand your seating needs if we are to temporarily relocate seat locations to be physically distanced. This could include your personal ticket usage, any mobility issues we should know about, etc.

Question Title

5. FOCUS GROUP OPPORTUNITY:
    We appreciate when season ticket holders take the time to offer thoughts and opinions on topics from halftime to season ticket holder benefits! Moving forward, we will be hosting occasional focus groups. Do you have an interest in being part of a focus group in the future?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    If I'm a GM or president looking to hire someone, I would at very least question whether or not it's worth bringing someone in - regardless of their pedigree - if there's a very strong chance that you are going to need to replace that person in a very short period. It's even worse if they are holding down multiple jobs like GM/Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator/DoPP/etc.

Look at Calgary (as much as it pains me to); they have had the same person in the GM role for 14 years, and the head coach was with them since 2009 in one coaching capacity or another. That continuity means they are always in contention for the playoffs if not the GC.

If I was Brock or our Board, I would take a pass on Jones unless it was for much easier position to replace, like a positional coach. You could sign him and he could be gone to greener pastures before your season even starts, and then you're the one scrambling.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Even Mike Keenan ran out of new bridges to burn.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    If I'm a GM or president looking to hire someone, I would at very least question whether or not it's worth bringing someone in - regardless of their pedigree - if there's a very strong chance that you are going to need to replace that person in a very short period. It's even worse if they are holding down multiple jobs like GM/Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator/DoPP/etc.

Look at Calgary (as much as it pains me to); they have had the same person in the GM role for 14 years, and the head coach was with them since 2009 in one coaching capacity or another. That continuity means they are always in contention for the playoffs if not the GC.

If I was Brock or our Board, I would take a pass on Jones unless it was for much easier position to replace, like a positional coach. You could sign him and he could be gone to greener pastures before your season even starts, and then you're the one scrambling.
    Meh to each his own. Loyalty in sports isn't what it used to be. I want a winner. He brings that. Players and coaches come and go all the time now, just the way things are.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

I'm with 56 Parkies on this one, especially for coaches and management. Effective long term strategies take a long term to put into practice. Calgary proves that it is still possible to find people who stay for the duration. And I don't think Jones would be a lock for success as much as his reputation seems to imply. Recent CFL history has lots of examples of previously-successful management folk who didn't do so well in their last postings.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Meh to each his own. Loyalty in sports isn't what it used to be. I want a winner. He brings that. Players and coaches come and go all the time now, just the way things are.
    You don't have a winner if he bolts on the eve of the season, and his past behaviour indicates it's a real possibility. The best indicator of future behaviour is what they've done in their recent past. There are plenty of strong coaches out there who aren't using their career solely as a stepping stone to the next big thing.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Jones can coach his ass off and can identify talent... u have to respect that...

The guys prob missing coachin.. the guy lives and breathes football..

Don’t think he will be back here but someone will hire him and they will win..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    You don't have a winner if he bolts on the eve of the season, and his past behaviour indicates it's a real possibility. The best indicator of future behaviour is what they've done in their recent past. There are plenty of strong coaches out there who aren't using their career solely as a stepping stone to the next big thing.
    You're holding it against him that he wanted to wear a bigger hat (GM) or test his mettle against the best (NFL)? Not to mention collect a much healthier salary?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I'm with 56 Parkies on this one, especially for coaches and management. Effective long term strategies take a long term to put into practice. Calgary proves that it is still possible to find people who stay for the duration. And I don't think Jones would be a lock for success as much as his reputation seems to imply. Recent CFL history has lots of examples of previously-successful management folk who didn't do so well in their last postings.
    1/9 teams uses a strategy and its proof that is successful? People move onto bigger and better things all the time. No different in football.

Vince Lombardi

vCash
    Blog Entries

You're holding it against him that he wanted to wear a bigger hat (GM) or test his mettle against the best (NFL)? Not to mention collect a much healthier salary?

- - - Updated - - -

1/9 teams uses a strategy and its proof that is successful? People move onto bigger and better things all the time. No different in football.
    He has ability. It just amazes me that he isn't on a coaching or even scouting/management staff somewhere in the NFL, CFL, or NCAA but maybe he just wanted to get back to his roots or has he really burnt every bridge out there?

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I think the sample size is generally bigger than that. It is a double-edged sword though.

Success breeds continuity, and continuity breeds success. Once you find success with someone, if you can hang on to them long-term, your chances of continued success can increase if they're the right person.

Examples: Hugh Campbell, Wally Buono (CGY and BC), John Hufnagel/Dickenson (and others - how many coordinators has CGY gone through? Not as many, I don't think), Jim Popp in MTL. The Pittsburgh Steelers (something like five coaches in their entire history?). Multiple hockey teams. The San Antonio Spurs. Numerous college programs too.

Somebody like Jones might get you short-term success. But as we've seen that doesn't necessarily lead to long-term success if you keep having to replace key positions. That's the issue. And personally, I'd rather try and set up for long-term success.
    Last edited by gizmo fan 2; 03-10-2021 at 09:37 AM.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-to-explore-op...-xfl-1.1605335

Big news here. I guess we'll have to see what kind of things can come out of this partnership.

vCash

Well...that is some pretty huge news. Definitely taking a wait and see approach to this one...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Well...that is some pretty huge news. Definitely taking a wait and see approach to this one...
    Me too, could be a very good thing if done right.
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

vCash

I am cautious regarding our century old football league discussing stuff with a twice failed blip on the football radar. Open to it, but cautious.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    He has ability. It just amazes me that he isn't on a coaching or even scouting/management staff somewhere in the NFL, CFL, or NCAA but maybe he just wanted to get back to his roots or has he really burnt every bridge out there?
    His Browns contract ended after the Super Bowl. February. Nearly NCAA, CFL and even NFL staffs are filled at that point?

Vince Lombardi

vCash

I think there are options for the XFL, despite what Dave may be suggesting. I think the direction of the XFL may be influenced by the league however.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I am cautious regarding our century old football league discussing stuff with a twice failed blip on the football radar. Open to it, but cautious.
    Dwayne Johnson is a big appeal to it though. He does have roots in CFL and seems to be successful at everything he tries. I don't mind entertaining a concept where the two leagues at minimum form some kind of mutually beneficial partnership instead of the previous attempts where the leagues view each other as competition. There's room for both if done right.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Dwayne Johnson is a big appeal to it though. He does have roots in CFL and seems to be successful at everything he tries. I don't mind entertaining a concept where the two leagues at minimum form some kind of mutually beneficial partnership instead of the previous attempts where the leagues view each other as competition. There's room for both if done right.
    Agreed, but we have seen start up leagues in the past use popular players and faces to promote their brand, only to see their leagues crash and burn. The business plan is just as important as the marketing. Of course, we don't know how bad things are in the CFL offices right now. We might need this even more than we realize.

vCash

Don't change the rules to the CFL game. It is unique and I love it for that reason.

Like others have said here and on Twitter today, wait and see approach to this whole thing.

vCash

Email I got from the league this morning to season ticket holders:

March 10, 2021

Dear Season Ticket Holder:

Today the CFL is announcing that we have agreed to work with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and his fellow XFL owners to identify opportunities for the leagues to collaborate, innovate and grow the great game of football across North America.
    As a season ticket holder, you are one of the CFL’s most supportive and dedicated fans, and I want you to hear from me what this means for the league and for fans.
    First of all, these discussions will not affect the upcoming season. We hope that, as the pandemic wanes, the league will get the green light to resume play with a full season in 2021.
    These talks with the new owners of the XFL are aimed beyond that. With a shared desire on the part of both leagues to give the sport we all love new energy and excitement and make sure it thrives for years to come.
    While the XFL doesn’t have a long history like ours, they do share our passion for football. Dwayne Johnson, who was a member of the Calgary Stampeders after playing at the University of Miami, is proud of his ties to the CFL and his family’s Canadian roots. He knows and loves our game and our passionate fans. His fellow owners, highly successful entrepreneur Dany Garcia and sports industry leader RedBird Capital, share his excitement about what working with the CFL could mean.
    So, while we don’t know what collaboration or partnership might look like, we do know it’s at least a conversation worth having, to see what ideas we can come up with to promote and grow the game here in Canada, across North America and abroad. We want to share the excitement of Canadian-style football that fans like you know well.
    We’re proud of our game and cherish the deep connections our fans have to it. We look forward to seeing what possibilities our discussions might uncover, and to sharing those with you as the process unfolds.
    In the meantime, our focus in on returning to the field to play CFL football this year.
    Football has been played in Canada under the CFL banner since 1958, but the Grey Cup has been part of our country since 1909. The bond between football and Canadians has never been stronger, and our goal, always, is to respect and strengthen that bond. That is why I’m writing to you today.
    Thank you for being there for the CFL. We can’t wait to get back on the field – and we’re so looking forward to seeing you back in the stands.

Yours in football,
    Randy Ambrosie, Commissioner Canadian Football League
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash
    Blog Entries

His Browns contract ended after the Super Bowl. February. Nearly NCAA, CFL and even NFL staffs are filled at that point?
    And you don't think he was actively looking for another gig long before then? Heck the Riders had him hired before he had even coached in the GC game for us back in 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Don't change the rules to the CFL game. It is unique and I love it for that reason.

Like others have said here and on Twitter today, wait and see approach to this whole thing.
    X2. Don't touch the game...If I hear talk about changing to 4 downs or anything along those lines it becomes a hard pass for me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

Yeah, I'm much more compelled to support a partnership that allows easier movement of players and/or coaches between the leagues which would give more opportunities for each to get more game film and earn a few more bucks without being locked into only one or the other, but I don't want to see major changes to rules within the game itself.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Some reaction around the league including an opinion from Trevor Harris and Dave Naylor's take...https://www.tsn.ca/trevor-harris-zac...ment-1.1605373

vCash

OMG. My first reaction is deep concern for the future of the league I have loved for a lifetime. Maybe this XFL "partnership" will work for awhile and be the stimulus needed right now, much like the CFL 90's expansion into the U.S.
    Who knows what will become of this discussion.
    If I'm reading "between the lines" correctly, our league is fighting for it's life as seriously as a covid patient in ICU and the odds of recovery do not look good. It's a harsh reality to face but the CFL is frail,
    just like any 100+ year old entity. I pray for it's survival and am struggling to face the possibility that it may be nearing the end. I am hoping for the best, don't mean to be a "Debbie downer", just extremely worried.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot in the end and hang on.

vCash

Having Randy Ambrosie in charge of the CFL during this tough time does not fill me with confidence.

I'm expecting we will probably have to get used to 4 down football in the next year or two
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

The main thing that gives me hope is the XFLs release suggests there is no 2022 season without figuring this out whereas CFL is still marching on with 2021 (albeit possibly a modified schedule). That to me reads that XFL needs this more than the CFL so there should be no reason to sell our soul to make it work.

vCash

what the f***ing f***???????

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Having Randy Ambrosie in charge of the CFL during this tough time does not fill me with confidence.

I'm expecting we will probably have to get used to 4 down football in the next year or two
    Randy Ambrosie being interviewed on the topic...

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/10/3...-announcement/

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/03/10/commis...collaboration/
    Last edited by adb; 03-10-2021 at 01:32 PM.