Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 181

Thread: Around the CFL - 2021

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Attention Around the CFL - 2021

    New year, new league thread...

    Masoli signs a one-year deal with the Tiger-Cats. Looks like they are secure at QB depth for the season.

    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    6,235
    vCash
    2264
    Rep Power
    318

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Wait, do the Ticats have their own insurance company???

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,002
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    New year, new league thread...

    Masoli signs a one-year deal with the Tiger-Cats. Looks like they are secure at QB depth for the season.
    Great move for Hamilton to secure the best 1-2 QB depth for a truly legit GC contender. The combined contracts for Masoli and Evans would still likely be less costly than whatever Calgary and BC will be on the hook for with BLM and Reilly and whomever their #2s will be. Probably on par with what the Riders will be paying Fajardo and Franklin.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    TORONTO — The Toronto Argonauts have acquired national offensive lineman Cody Speller, along with the 52nd overall selection in the 2021 CFL Draft, from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, it was announced on Wednesday.

    In exchange, the Bombers received the Argos sixth-round (48th overall) 2021 CFL Draft pick.

    Speller, 26, played 13 regular-season games for the Bombers in 2019, starting eight at left guard and all three playoff games including the Grey Cup at centre.

    https://www.cfl.ca/2021/01/27/argos-...trade-bombers/
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spruce Grove AB
    Posts
    8,207
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    1129

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    TORONTO — The Toronto Argonauts have acquired national offensive lineman Cody Speller, along with the 52nd overall selection in the 2021 CFL Draft, from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, it was announced on Wednesday.

    In exchange, the Bombers received the Argos sixth-round (48th overall) 2021 CFL Draft pick.

    Speller, 26, played 13 regular-season games for the Bombers in 2019, starting eight at left guard and all three playoff games including the Grey Cup at centre.

    https://www.cfl.ca/2021/01/27/argos-...trade-bombers/
    hmmmm they basically gave Speller to the Argos
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,002
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    hmmmm they basically gave Speller to the Argos
    Maybe there is a bit more to the story. It might not have been as much about giving him away as getting something for him while they could even if only moving up a few spots in the latter stages of the draft. Speller will become an FA in less than 2 weeks. He grew up in the Golden Horseshoe born in the outskirts of Hamilton and playing collegiately at McMaster. Looks to me like the Bombers already knew he was not going to re-sign with them without first testing the free agency waters perhaps wanting to be closer to home for personal, family or business reasons. Maybe the Bombers could have gotten more elsewhere but any team not named Argos or Ticats likely faced the same issue; he would go to free agency before signing with them. One more thought to add. At this point the Argos aren't really acquiring Speller. They are merely acquiring negotiation rights for the remaining window leading up to Feb 9. Speller could sign elsewhere like Hamilton leaving them nothing to show for the minor draft position upgrade Winnipeg received.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 01-28-2021 at 12:24 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spruce Grove AB
    Posts
    8,207
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    1129

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Maybe there is a bit more to the story. It might not have been as much about giving him away as getting something for him while they could even if only moving up a few spots in the latter stages of the draft. Speller will become an FA in less than 2 weeks. He grew up in the Golden Horseshoe born in the outskirts of Hamilton and playing collegiately at McMaster. Looks to me like the Bombers already knew he was not going to re-sign with them without first testing the free agency waters perhaps wanting to be closer to home for personal, family or business reasons. Maybe the Bombers could have gotten more elsewhere but any team not named Argos or Ticats likely faced the same issue; he would go to free agency before signing with them. One more thought to add. At this point the Argos aren't really acquiring Speller. They are merely acquiring negotiation rights for the remaining window leading up to Feb 9. Speller could sign elsewhere like Hamilton leaving them nothing to show for the minor draft position upgrade Winnipeg received.
    Thanks for the info, makes sense now!!! I actually never thought of his contract situation
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    The Calgary Stampeders and Toronto Argonauts have made a big deal, per sources.

    Toronto has acquired the rights to receiver Eric Rogers, defensive end Cordarro Law, and defensive back Robertson Daniel from Calgary in exchange for a fourth round pick in the 2021 Canadian draft, and a third round pick in the 2021 Global draft.
    Rogers is a two-time West Division all-star who has made 27 touchdown receptions in just 45 career regular season games, making him easily one of the CFL’s best red zone targets. The six-foot-four, 215-pound target has two 1,000-yard, ten-touchdown seasons with the Stamps.

    The 32-year-old Law had a strong season in 2019 when he made 41 tackles, ten sacks, and two forced fumbles. He has made 32 career sacks over five CFL seasons, all of which have come in Calgary.

    Daniel made three interceptions in eight games with the Stamps in 2019. He is best-known for playing an entire game while wearing Joker face paint.

    The trade allows the Argos to try and sign Rogers, Law and Daniel prior to the opening of free agency on Tuesday, February 9 at noon eastern time. Even though the negotiating window begins on Monday, January 31 at noon eastern time, Toronto has the chance to put pen to paper prior to the market opening.


    https://3downnation.com/2021/01/30/s...l-free-agency/
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    16,000
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    431

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    I guess this is one of those "first right of signing" trades, hence the apparent one-sidedness in favour of the Argos. I guess these players weren't going to sign in Calgary.

    Don't mind seeing Rogers and Law finding their way to the other division.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,002
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I guess this is one of those "first right of signing" trades, hence the apparent one-sidedness in favour of the Argos. I guess these players weren't going to sign in Calgary.

    Don't mind seeing Rogers and Law finding their way to the other division.
    Exactly. Same as the Speller trade. For what they gave up between the two deals even if they sign only 2 of the 4 they come out ahead. If they don't sign any they didn't give up much to roll the dice on the 4. If they land all 4 holy home run. Great low risk, high reward gamble by the Argos IMO.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021




    Yikes - a 220k bonus due on Feb 1st.
    There are really no free agent QB's out there (other than Pipkin) that could be a starter out of the gate. Unless they've got an ace up their sleeve, or believe in Bethel-Thompson, the Argos may have to get their head coach to throw on the pads.

    edit: Hearing that Nick Arbuckle could also be released by the Redblacks as he is waffling on re-structuring and is due a big bonus tomorrow as well. Perhaps the Argos make another bid at signing him?
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 01-31-2021 at 12:05 PM.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    16,000
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    431

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Interesting...Arbuckle in TO, Nichols in Ottawa?

    Nichols seems to have struggled to find a place to be stable and happy in his position. Hope his next stop works out for him.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    16,000
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    431

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Interesting...Arbuckle in TO, Nichols in Ottawa?

    Nichols seems to have struggled to find a place to be stable and happy in his position. Hope his next stop works out for him.
    I would now go out and buy lottery tickets...except, well, COVID.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,002
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    A post on Lionbackers has TSN1040 saying it's now done. Burnham is scheduled to be on TSN1040 for an interview at 11:30.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 02-01-2021 at 11:25 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021



    - - - Updated - - -

    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,585
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    306

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    If Toronto sign mondo .. we need to see their books cos they got John candy money going over there..

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    6,235
    vCash
    2264
    Rep Power
    318

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    MLSE does have deep pockets so that's not an issue for them.

    Cap may be another issue.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spruce Grove AB
    Posts
    8,207
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    1129

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    If Toronto sign mondo .. we need to see their books cos they got John candy money going over there..
    One may say the same thing about us actually, we have signed arguably one of the best Guards in the game (Dennis) one of the best receivers in the game (Walker) All while having the best Canadian Dlineman (Boateng) and one of the top QBs in the league.
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,766
    vCash
    625
    Rep Power
    541

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    One may say the same thing about us actually, we have signed arguably one of the best Guards in the game (Dennis) one of the best receivers in the game (Walker) All while having the best Canadian Dlineman (Boateng) and one of the top QBs in the league.
    Dennis is one of the best tackles in the game. Saskatchewan tried to switch him to guard and he performed below average at best. Calgary moved him back to Tackle and he shone.
    #PizStrong

    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spruce Grove AB
    Posts
    8,207
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    1129

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Dennis is one of the best tackles in the game. Saskatchewan tried to switch him to guard and he performed below average at best. Calgary moved him back to Tackle and he shone.
    Forgot about that actually. With him Sir V and Draheim, we are set at the tackle position.
    Hoping there is a 2021 season as there is nothing better than a football game on a warm sunny day at Commonwealth!!!!!!!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,766
    vCash
    625
    Rep Power
    541

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Forgot about that actually. With him Sir V and Draheim, we are set at the tackle position.
    Not to mention Randy Richards, Darrel Brown, Eric Lofton, Tristan Nickelson, Colin Kelly,... We have 8 Import OL under contract for 2021; an embarrassment of riches
    #PizStrong

    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,996
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    2155

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,766
    vCash
    625
    Rep Power
    541

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    That is a damn strong receiving core they have there. Banks, Addison and now Posey. Glad we'll only face them twice.
    #PizStrong

    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,642
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    363

    Re: Around the CFL - 2021

    Well...three times when we face them in the Grey Cup...
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •