View Poll Results: What name will be chosen for the new Brand?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eagles

9 27.27%
  • Eclipse

3 9.09%
  • Elements

1 3.03%
  • Elk(s)

14 42.42%
  • Elkhounds

4 12.12%
  • Evergreens

1 3.03%
  • Evergolds

1 3.03%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Will The Name Be???

vCash

Re: What Will The Name Be???

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I could get behind Eclipse... It's kinda growing on me.
    If we went with Eclipse our slogan could be "Moon me"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    If we went with Eclipse our slogan could be "Moon me"
    Nice historical tie-in.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I'm guessing that the team has done their due diligence when it comes to the Eagles name, cause if the NFL team took exception to it, we could be going through this all again.

None of the names excite me all that much but Eagles is the top for me
    Not sure that the NFL could put up a fuss, especially over use of Eagles in a foreign country. The Eagles nickname is used by 11 different NCAA Div I schools. Bears (9), Panthers (8), Lions (5) and Rams (4) follow as nicknames same as NFL teams used at 4 or more schools. Philadelphia might have some copyrights for use of the name in the NFL or for pro football in the US. I doubt that gives them a global copyright. If they can take exception to a 3 down football league in Canada having a team named Eagles could they not also go after the West Coast Eagles in the Australian Football League?

Different sport but the NFL had no problems hanging the Panther nickname on their Carolina franchise two years after the NHL Florida Panthers began play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Yeah, I'm liking Eclipse too. You could do a lot with that on a video board and the lights in the stadium.
    If the game isn't going well turn the lights off and have an artificial solar eclipse.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Nice historical tie-in.
    And when we beat up on the other team we could say “You’ve just been mooned!”

Eclipse is starting to grow on me. Ok, it really isn’t.

vCash

Obviously no one liked the idea of Alberta.

Never again will such an opportunity arise to one up Calgary and then to leave the door open for Calgary to make fun of the Evergolds. Greengolds never had a chance.

I think they should publicize the names of the selection committee to be sure there are actually people from Edmonton on it.

Win the Cup and eventually you will get over this.

vCash

I really don't understand why people hate Elk so much. If you've ever been around one; you'd know they are not to be messed with. The rest on that list are less than inspired though.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I really don't understand why people hate Elk so much. If you've ever been around one; you'd know they are not to be messed with. The rest on that list are less than inspired though.
    Yeah Elk are a serious animal, Elk or (Golden) Eagles are the only real possibilities in my mind based on the that list, the rest are garbage.

There are some nice ideas on here surrounding Eclipse, but too me it's a hokey sounding name that makes me think of arena football or something like that, it just feels cheap.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    As several tourists in Banff and Jasper usually find out every year. They may not get hurt but no doubt there's several cases of soiled underwear every summer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Yeah Elk are a serious animal, Elk or (Golden) Eagles are the only real possibilities in my mind based on the that list, the rest are garbage.

There are some nice ideas on here surrounding Eclipse, but too me it's a hokey sounding name that makes me think of arena football or something like that, it just feels cheap.
    I think you're right. Elk or Eagles seem to be the most likely. Maybe the rest are being tossed into the mix to give the sense that fans have more choices to mull over than just two. Also the inclusion of seemingly garbage names could serve to fluff one of Elk or Eagles up as more popular than they might otherwise be. if 90% of people hate the other 5 then Elks and Eagles stand to rake in 90% of the #1 and #2 preference votes giving the perception that they are hugely popular.

vCash

I don't get the dislike for he name Elks either. There are hockey and college football teams named Ducks. A basketball team named Pelicans.
    Elk are majestic, hardy, fierce animals, native to our area. I think it's actually an excellent choice.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    As several tourists in Banff and Jasper usually find out every year. They may not get hurt but no doubt there's several cases of soiled underwear every summer.
    I was in Jasper years ago when a guy bothered a bull during rutting season... He was, umm, violated...yeah, you could say he was violated by the elk. Closest I've gone to one since then is seeing it in the crosshairs...

I still think Eagles is right there with Evergreens and Evergolds.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I think you're right. Elk or Eagles seem to be the most likely. Maybe the rest are being tossed into the mix to give the sense that fans have more choices to mull over than just two. Also the inclusion of seemingly garbage names could serve to fluff one of Elk or Eagles up as more popular than they might otherwise be. if 90% of people hate the other 5 then Elks and Eagles stand to rake in 90% of the #1 and #2 preference votes giving the perception that they are hugely popular.
    I agree. If they would have included names like Empire and Express instead of Evergreens and Evergolds there would have been much more of a split among the voting. Am really disappointed that Empire was not included as a possibility. I really think that they were much to afraid of the PC crowd when they ruled out that name.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I agree. If they would have included names like Empire and Express instead of Evergreens and Evergolds there would have been much more of a split among the voting. Am really disappointed that Empire was not included as a possibility. I really think that they were much to afraid of the PC crowd when they ruled out that name.
    This name change has been painful for everyone involved. Why take a chance that we all have to do this again in a few years? Plus, much like Eclipse or Energy, Empire sounds to me like it will be dated sounding in years. Elks or Eagles is the best bet IMO.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    This name change has been painful for everyone involved. Why take a chance that we all have to do this again in a few years? Plus, much like Eclipse or Energy, Empire sounds to me like it will be dated sounding in years. Elks or Eagles is the best bet IMO.
    Thought some might like to read Eric Upton's opinion...https://www.tsn.ca/ee-football-team-...ment-1.1589751

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Presson said as much about Empire. Some might find it contentious so they stayed away from it.

Eagles has been done. Let's be unique.

Elk it is.

vCash

If it is elk/s then if we keep the EE that’s gonna be pathetic...

We better see antler helmet decals and or an elk logo bloody somewhere.. if we keep the EE logo with either Eagles or elk then it’s a major league fail... u can’t have an animal and not showcase it..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post

We better see antler helmet decals and or an elk logo bloody somewhere.. if we keep the EE logo with either Eagles or elk then it’s a major league fail... u can’t have an animal and not showcase it..
    you can't flip a switch and change all the helmets and logos all around. It will be the EE logo in 2021 and we will see a change perhaps happen in the next year or two.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash
    Blog Entries

As long as they don't touch the EE logo on helmet they can include an animal logo on the uniform somewhere else. I'd be fine with that.

vCash

vCash

If we aren't keeping the EE logo, then why did we only go with EE names? I think the EE will be around in some form for the sake of some sort of continuity. They didn't want to burn the club to the ground.

vCash

EE Logo and helmet will stay for a few years minimum, maybe forever. They will produce a third jersey/helmet combo next season that would be reflective of the new name. Perhaps somewhere down the road once the new name is accepted and commonplace, they may look at a permanent helmet/logo change and relegate the EE helmet as a retro/third jersey.
    The EE oval logo will stay in some form forever, maybe just a logo on the pants and some merchandise, but it will always be around.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

you can't flip a switch and change all the helmets and logos all around. It will be the EE logo in 2021 and we will see a change perhaps happen in the next year or two.
    Of course you can Mike.. teams rebrand all the time..

- - - Updated - - -

As long as they don't touch the EE logo on helmet they can include an animal logo on the uniform somewhere else. I'd be fine with that.
    Yea that Is a option..

vCash

Of course you can Mike.. teams rebrand all the time..
    I didn't say they can't change it; just that it takes time to do it. They have already a ton of equipment with the old look on it. They can't just scrap it all and then get a new look with new logos, plus replace every EE across town, they're already spending a million dollars where the name existed. If they also have to replace the logo, double that.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    If we aren't keeping the EE logo, then why did we only go with EE names? I think the EE will be around in some form for the sake of some sort of continuity. They didn't want to burn the club to the ground.
    I’m prob just jaded with this topic. I realise I’m never gonna be happy.. that’s my cross to bear..

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't say they can't change it; just that it takes time to do it. They have already a ton of equipment with the old look on it. They can't just scrap it all and then get a new look with new logos, plus replace every EE across town, they're already spending a million dollars where the name existed. If they also have to replace the logo, double that.
    See my previous post mike... I’m gonna hold my hands up here I just don’t like it.. I don’t think I’m ever gone like it, but I love the team, the league and it’s still my team.. I’ll just have to live with whatever comes... it is what it is..

vCash

I’m prob just jaded with this topic. I realise I’m never gonna be happy.. that’s my cross to bear..

- - - Updated - - -

See my previous post mike... I’m gonna hold my hands up here I just don’t like it.. I don’t think I’m ever gone like it, but I love the team, the league and it’s still my team.. I’ll just have to live with whatever comes... it is what it is..
    We all have the passion for the team; it isn't easy on any of us. But eventually we will move on, watch our team play, and realize that matters most.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    I don't get the dislike for he name Elks either. There are hockey and college football teams named Ducks. A basketball team named Pelicans.
    Elk are majestic, hardy, fierce animals, native to our area. I think it's actually an excellent choice.

I'm not sure that a bad name, in my humble opinion, gets any better by pointing out that other pro teams have chosen crappy names as well.
    Last edited by widowmaker; 02-09-2021 at 02:37 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Now, the big question is...how much is the re-branding going to hit the salary cap? I remember Dwayne saying the one year that the reason they didn't put out ALL the game worn stuff for sale was the amount they collect is counted towards the cap. Reason being, they don't try to make profit off selling game used equipment. So when the Locker Room sale comes along, unless they're changing suppliers league wide like New Era taking over from Adidas...it's going to cost them. It's a garbage rule, but it's still something to think about. Throwing some new stickers on is one thing, but changing out the entire uniforms to accomodate the logo or name switch won't be cheap.

I do seem to remember them doing patchovers back in the day. So Puma jerseys had Reebok logos stitched over top so they complied. Have to imagine the contracts now with New Era won't allow for that though.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Thought some might like to read Eric Upton's opinion...https://www.tsn.ca/ee-football-team-...ment-1.1589751
    "They also wanted something that wasn't contentious, eliminating fan favourites Energy and Empire from the running."

I can at least understand how Empire might be considered contentious to some (colonial overtones, the frequent association with the adjective "evil" and portrayals of empires as the bad guys in movies, possible ramifications from Disney), but how would Energy be contentious? I mean, even if someone is anti-oil industry (and I don't hear any clamoring to change the Oilers name), there's always green (and gold) energy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Now, the big question is...how much is the re-branding going to hit the salary cap? I remember Dwayne saying the one year that the reason they didn't put out ALL the game worn stuff for sale was the amount they collect is counted towards the cap. Reason being, they don't try to make profit off selling game used equipment. So when the Locker Room sale comes along, unless they're changing suppliers league wide like New Era taking over from Adidas...it's going to cost them. It's a garbage rule, but it's still something to think about. Throwing some new stickers on is one thing, but changing out the entire uniforms to accomodate the logo or name switch won't be cheap.

I do seem to remember them doing patchovers back in the day. So Puma jerseys had Reebok logos stitched over top so they complied. Have to imagine the contracts now with New Era won't allow for that though.
    That counts against the cap??? Wow...nickel and dime them to death.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    That counts against the cap??? Wow...nickel and dime them to death.
    Think we were due a new uniform this year though.. so it might not be an issue