View Poll Results: What name will be chosen for the new Brand?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eagles

9 27.27%
  • Eclipse

3 9.09%
  • Elements

1 3.03%
  • Elk(s)

14 42.42%
  • Elkhounds

4 12.12%
  • Evergreens

1 3.03%
  • Evergolds

1 3.03%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Will The Name Be???

vCash

Re: What Will The Name Be???

Speaking of contentious, does anyone have any idea of what kind of drop in season ticket sales, if any, there was after the Esks name was dropped? I heard that there were lots of cancellations but I’m not sure how much of that was hyperbole.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    Speaking of contentious, does anyone have any idea of what kind of drop in season ticket sales, if any, there was after the Esks name was dropped? I heard that there were lots of cancellations but Iím not sure how much of that was hyperbole.
    I think it will difficult to determine exactly now with COVID mixed in with it. I can see a lot not renewing because of the uncertainty of the season and people not working.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    I'm not sure that a bad name, in my humble opinion, gets any better by pointing out that other pro teams have chosen crappy names as well.
    I personally don't think Elk(s) is bad. Looking at the list of options, it's the best choice. Eagles is probably one of the most popular with the public but is so bloody cliche. There are probably a hundred sports teams in Edmonton alone named Eagles. Every Elementary, Junior high, High School, minor hockey, minor soccer, minor baseball team has an Eagles in it's league.

An interesting excerpt from a TSN article the other day: Presson said they wanted something that had a connection to the region, and was original, clear and compelling. Eagles doesn't really fit that criteria.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    I personally don't think Elk(s) is bad. Looking at the list of options, it's the best choice. Eagles is probably one of the most popular with the public but is so bloody cliche. There are probably a hundred sports teams in Edmonton alone named Eagles. Every Elementary, Junior high, High School, minor hockey, minor soccer, minor baseball team has an Eagles in it's league.

An interesting excerpt from a TSN article the other day: Presson said they wanted something that had a connection to the region, and was original, clear and compelling. Eagles doesn't really fit that criteria.
    Nor does Evergolds or Norwegian Elkhounds.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post

Thought Golden Eagles was native to the region. You make a good point thought regarding a lot of amateur teams in Edmonton named Eagles. They are saying Eagles though and not Golden Eagles. Not sure why they cut it down.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    If it is elk/s then if we keep the EE thatís gonna be pathetic...

We better see antler helmet decals and or an elk logo bloody somewhere.. if we keep the EE logo with either Eagles or elk then itís a major league fail... u canít have an animal and not showcase it..
    I think the smart thing to do would be to keep the EE as per normal but then roll out an Elk Antler helmet for Labour Day with the 3rd's and then have an Elk logo as a secondary logo for merch like the one they used to have with Nanook in the 90's.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I think the smart thing to do would be to keep the EE as per normal but then roll out an Elk Antler helmet for Labour Day with the 3rd's and then have an Elk logo as a secondary logo for merch like the one they used to have with Nanook in the 90's.
    If their marketing team is worth their salt, then they will be already having this in motion.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

They basically have at least 3 names that pretty much no one except who ever suggested them would like. Evergreens or Evergolds? Elements?? Eagles I don't mind but as I said I wouldn't touch it because there is a famous FOOTBALL team that has had that name for decades. If they played a different sport then maybe but other than a few different rules, it's the same bloody sport. It's almost on par when the CFL had 2 teams named roughriders.

NO offense intended but when I say Edmonton Eclipse, I immediately think that Edmonton got a WNBA team.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Elk? Hmmmm, Fresh meat for the other teams?
    Eagles? Do we really want to be another Roughriders/Rough Riders and do we spell it Eag les?
    Do the others even count?

I'm still pulling for the Edmonton Eskimoose

Eskimoose.jpg
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

If its ELKS plural its.. um... ok... ELK singular is horrible.

Eagles are... ok.... it would be much better as Golden Eagles...

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

It's going to be the f*****g Elk....and I am never going to call them that.

I still call the Capilano freeway, Mayfair Park, by their original names. There's no damn way I am calling the green n gold anything other than Esks....or Eskimos. I just ain't.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

Elks, plural yes. Not Elk, singular no.

Still better than any of the other options
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post

I still call the Capilano freeway, Mayfair Park, by their original names. There's no damn way I am calling the green n gold anything other than Esks....or Eskimos. I just ain't.
    Amen

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Preach on brother. It's still St.Albert Trail and John Ducey Park to me too.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    If its ELKS plural its.. um... ok... ELK singular is horrible.

Eagles are... ok.... it would be much better as Golden Eagles...
    I agree.

Elks>Elk

Golden Eagle>Eagles

With this poll they even managed to screw up the two names that maybe had a chance to be somewhat acceptable.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Preach on brother. It's still St.Albert Trail and John Ducey Park to me too.
    That's Renfrew Park, to you.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    That's Renfrew Park, to you.
    Dude...I'm not THAT old!!!
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

#PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

Man...you know you're getting old when someone else reminisces about a name that you still refuse to accept because it's too new-fangled.

It'll always be Renfrew to me!
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Am really disappointed that Empire was not included as a possibility. I really think that they were much to afraid of the PC crowd when they ruled out that name.
    Empire was the most dreadful abomination suggested. And let me give you my solemn assurance that I'm most definitely not part of the "politically correct" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Presson said as much about Empire. Some might find it contentious so they stayed away from it.
    Contentious is hardly the word for it. I don't want any Queens in Canada. And any Brits that come here better be ready to ditch the old bitch and embrace the true North strong, free and freezing ****ing cold.

Last edited by Foxhound; 02-15-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    Radically Canadian!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Man...you know you're getting old when someone else reminisces about a name that you still refuse to accept because it's too new-fangled.

It'll always be Renfrew to me!
    I'm pretty sure the last time I went there it was Renfrew
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

When I hear the term elk I think one or more of the 4 legged critters. When I hear the term elks I think Elks as in the BPOE version with purple jackets and purple fez hats.

vCash

Capture.JPG

A snapshot from our action next season.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Capture.JPG

A snapshot from our action next season.
    Penalty Elk. Too many men in fhe huddle.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    When I hear the term elk I think one or more of the 4 legged critters. When I hear the term elks I think Elks as in the BPOE version with purple jackets and purple fez hats.
    I'll go with Merriam-Webster on this question:

Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
    Definition of elk. 1 plural usually elk
    Elk are indigenous to northern Alberta and they're a seriously bad-ass animal:

Wildlife Expert on EFC Team Name

Moreover there's the historical connection:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The team was renamed the Edmonton Elks in 1922 and represented the WCFRU in the 10th Grey Cup, losing 13–1 to the Queen's University Golden Gaels. The team returned to the Eskimos name for the 1923 season....
    "Elk" is therefore the name that makes the most sense.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    I'll go with Merriam-Webster on this question:

Elk are indigenous to northern Alberta and they're a seriously bad-ass animal:
    Wildlife Expert on EFC Team Name

Moreover there's the historical connection:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The team was renamed the Edmonton Elks in 1922 and represented the WCFRU in the 10th Grey Cup, losing 13–1 to the Queen's University Golden Gaels. The team returned to the Eskimos name for the 1923 season....
    "Elk" is therefore the name that makes the most sense.
    While I have been onboard the "Elks" train since the team confirmed that the name will change, you have to remember that the team was called the Canucks in 1919 longer than it was called the Elks. If we had not gone to the Grey Cup in 1922, I doubt most people would even know about the name change that happened Oct 16, 1922. The team also merged with the Civics club, wearing that brand and colour scheme in 1914 before disbanding due to World War I.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

While I have been onboard the "Elks" train since the team confirmed that the name will change, you have to remember that the team was called the Canucks in 1919 longer than it was called the Elks. If we had not gone to the Grey Cup in 1922, I doubt most people would even know about the name change that happened Oct 16, 1922. The team also merged with the Civics club, wearing that brand and colour scheme in 1914 before disbanding due to World War I.
    Everyday is like a history lesson with you Mike.... I never knew this.

vCash

"Brand new colour scheme" being Green and Gold? Back to 1914?
    I always like to bug Packers / NFL diehards that they stole the Eskimos colour scheme. However, I am never sure on the historical accuracy of that jab. Green Bay's colours go back a long time, although they briefly seem to have flirted with other colours.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    "Brand new colour scheme" being Green and Gold? Back to 1914?
    I always like to bug Packers / NFL diehards that they stole the Eskimos colour scheme. However, I am never sure on the historical accuracy of that jab. Green Bay's colours go back a long time, although they briefly seem to have flirted with other colours.
    We didn't switch to Green and Gold until 1949, when Maury Van Vliet of the Golden Bears suspended operations and donated/sold (depending who tells the story) their uniforms to the newly re-formed Eskimos.

Reading the newspapers as an Esks fan pre-World War II, "Green and Gold" were the enemy, as the Esks and Golden Bears (usually called the "Polar Bears" in the newspapers) competed against each other.

In 1907, we wore Black and Yellow, and played British Rugby
    In 1908 we went with Blue and White, switching to Canadian rules "Rugby Football", with 3 downs, but had 14 men a side, with the "Center scrimmage" heeling the ball back to the quarterback, with one man on either side of him holding him up, to form the "3 man scrimmage" positions.
    In 1914, we merged with the Civics switching to Red & white
    in 1919 we were the Canucks, and wore Red
    In 1920, back to Blue and white
    in 1922, we started with Blue & White, but switched to the Elks' club's purple and white on Oct 16th, half way through the season. The Elks' club donated the uniforms for the switch.
    In 1923 we were back to Blue and White and the Eskimo moniker, but folded after the 1924 season due to lack of interest in organizing the club.
    We reformed in 1928, returning to the Blue and White colours and Eskimo name. We played until 1932 when we switched to Blue and Gold colours, and folded after that season.
    In 1938, once again we re-formed and went back to the Blue & White uniforms and Eskimo name, playing until 1939.

As for Green Bay, they wore Blue and Gold until switching to Kelly Green and Gold in 1950, and then Dark Green and Gold in 1958, 9 years after Edmonton starting wearing the colours, and 48 years after the University of Alberta adopted them.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory