Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flutie an Eskimo!!

vCash

Hot Flutie an Eskimo!!

Well folks say hello to the newest Eskimo… Doug Flutie!

After needling my journalist friend in SD for some info he came up with the mother lode.

What you see below is a story that is going to run in the Saturday edition of his paper. This is the unedited version … in other words it would still be edited for length, grammar, typos, etc.

The Esks don’t make announcements on the weekend so that is why the paper was given the o.k. to print the story on Sat. This allows some media hype to start building and then the Esks can ‘go to market’ with their announcement early next week.

What can I say but… how ‘bout that!

- - - -
    Flutie Heading Home - Sort Of

John Plachner - Special to The San Diego Union-Tribune

Doug Flutie's going home, but not to New England. Flutie, who was released by the San Diego Chargers on March 11, has decided to finish his career in the league where he first achieved stardom between 1990 and 1997. The former Heisman Trophy Winner is apparently set to join the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football league.

Flutie and his agent Kristen Kuliga, considered other NFL options, including having brief talks with the New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons. However, with Flutie’s age and large salary cap price tag, it was unlikely he would receive any legitimate NFL offers at this point in his career.

“Doug feels that he still has some football left in him, and that he can make a serious contribution somewhere,” Kuliga stated. “He would like to end his career on the field rather than on the bench.”

While Flutie had previously dismissed any return to the northern league that made him a household name in the land of beer and snow, a visit from an old friend provided the former Boston College legend an opportunity.

"Edmonton's General Manager, Paul Jones, contacted Doug when he was in San Diego in early February. They both hadn't seen each other since winning a CFL championship with Toronto back in 1997. What began as two long time friends catching up on old times, morphed into an opportunity for Doug to continue his career should he wish to," said Kuliga.

Flutie's release from the Chargers combined with Edmonton quarterback, former Oregon Duck, Jason Maas requiring season ending shoulder surgery, suddenly made Jones' offer of returning to the Great White North, more appealing.

“Edmonton clearly offered Doug the best opportunity at this point in his career,” Kuliga insisted, “Their organization is very close to the NFL in terms of facilities and salary as Doug would have as a third stringer in the NFL and he has the opportunity to start full time again. The terms of the contract are definitely appealing, but more importantly, Doug is very comfortable in going to a first class organization with a winning tradition."

It's expected that Flutie will sign a 2 year deal close to $800,000. Flutie's family will still continue to live in the San Diego area and his signing is expected to be officially announced early next week by the CFL squad.
    Last edited by TurfToe; 03-31-2005 at 05:59 PM.
    Turf Toe:
    - "...turf toe is a common malady that is more of a nuisance than a serious injury."
    - "Turf toe can often progress into a chronic problem..."
    - "A mild instance of turf toe (grade 1) can be merely aggravating while a serious case (grade 3) can be debilitating."

vCash

Re: Flutie an Eskimo!!

Holy $%^&.

KnuckleChucker Guest

wow.....simply stated....wow!!!

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

*Jaw on the floor*
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash
    Blog Entries

"No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Just got off the phone with Mobes and all he said was there is a big presser tentative for Tues. He wouldn't say what it was for but he chuckled that it was "big".

HOLY SHAT!
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Okay!.... I guess I better start liking him.
    Eric Tillman, the George W. Bush of the CFL.

Well this is a great signing for the CFL IMHO, should help pack CW as well. Darn I wish that it wasn't the Esks, but out East, but oh well. Congratulations, and I look forward to beating you even moreso now....
    Clermont #82

If I say any thing nice about the Eskimos here, always remember I am Lion all the time.

crede quod habes, et habes

Eskimo two word sumation........Enigmatically Eskimo's

vCash

All I can say is Holy Crap. The West (with the exeption of The Peg) is going to be tough. And as a Rider fan it is really tough to say but the Esks have instantly become GC favs if this is true.

vCash

If this is true good for Edmonton. As mentioned above this is great for the league to have Doug Flutie back. I believe that he can still play at a high level and will be a treat to see him live.

I was still in NFLD when Flutie was in the CFL so I never had the pleasure to see him live.

This makes me wonder though if Flutie is in and with the signing of Jones is Jason Maas hurt more seriously then being reported?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Taylor
    If this is true good for Edmonton. As mentioned above this is great for the league to have Doug Flutie back. I believe that he can still play at a high level and will be a treat to see him live.

I was still in NFLD when Flutie was in the CFL so I never had the pleasure to see him live.

This makes me wonder though if Flutie is in and with the signing of Jones is Jason Maas hurt more seriously then being reported?
    I think this line answers your question:

Flutie's release from the Chargers combined with Edmonton quarterback, former Oregon Duck, Jason Maas requiring season ending shoulder surgery, suddenly made Jones' offer of returning to the Great White North, more appealing.

It also scares the crap out of me.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

I've got a bunch of calls in. It's not that I don't believe Mobes but.........
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Some of you might be interested in this though that was posted at Flutie's site today.

http://www.dougflutie7.com/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0

States he might go to Florida.

vCash

Every call to a direct team contact has pretty much been busy. I've got two messages left with people. Jed's phone has also been busy.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by macknairb
    Some of you might be interested in this though that was posted at Flutie's site today.

http://www.dougflutie7.com/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0

States he might go to Florida.
    I heard on the 'Sports Bash' today the Giants are sending Jesse Palmer to the Bucs. Didn't catch who they get in return, but that kills any chance Flutie would have of signing with them. Palmer was an easy trade after signing a two year deal with NY.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

could this Plauchner guy have a different pen name?

maybe TT's copy he got sent had his buddies real name on it......???

pretty damn exciting i'd say.......

on one hand i'm thrilled that Flutie is coming, on the other i'm bummed that JM is gone for the year after earning a #1 spot......
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

I think I'll wait until after tommorrow to get all wound up about this.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bagpipe
    I heard on the 'Sports Bash' today the Giants are sending Jesse Palmer to the Bucs. Didn't catch who they get in return, but that kills any chance Flutie would have of signing with them. Palmer was an easy trade after signing a two year deal with NY.

And at the same money as Flutie and a decade younger.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I thought April Fool's Day wasn't until tomorrow. Find this hard to believe.

vCash

Excllent signing by the Eskies if it is true.

Now if Warner signs in Hamilton and Garcia goes in Toronto, the league will be complete.

If this rumor is true, the Eskies look like excellent contendors for first place in the West.

vCash

I stil haven't heard from anyone but lot's of cell phones are going to voicemail.....
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Wow...I'm really lost for words.

It now sounds like Maas is done for the season, which is terrible news. My feeling that the Esks must have known about his rehab being unsuccessful is even stronger now.

Even with Flutie and Khari here, I'm still a little worried. Khari is our only legitimate shot, because even with his previous stardom, Flutie will take time to adjust to the CFL and will probably not be as successful as some people may think. I guess we'll see what happens though...

What a crazy last few days...
    "The longer that I'm married, the more I realize that the wife is right" - Angelus, July 24, 2010

vCash

Eskimos are out of their mind signing Flutie. I hope it is an April Fool's joke. This would mean going backwards in QB development by not having any young players and worst is RR would probably end up with another team if he were to come back to the CFL. I hope it isn't true!!

vCash

Got one message returned. Same response, wait until Tuesday!
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Good points, but Ricky Ray will remain a Jet. He's just too cheap

vCash

Incredible. This can either be really awesome or really bad. Big name coming back to the CFL, the Esks no less, but also a 42 year old with who knows how much gas left in the tank. Hated him as a Stamp but if he was here....oh boy, oh boy, oh boy....

vCash

Congrats Esks. Your team has just made the West a whole lot tougher division.

Thank-you Doug for returning to the CFL.

Does this mean Darren will be signing too?

vCash

Could you imagine if Darren signed? Wow, the receiving core that would be. And the salary cap would really be shot to hell. Must contain self until Tuesday though.

Edit: Me thinks that this could be a very cruel April Fools joke though.
    Last edited by esks4life; 03-31-2005 at 08:33 PM.

vCash

wowsa, that a whole of infor to swallow. it seems legit, but anything can happen in the meantime. If its true thats a great signing for the esks, but I'll hold judgement until i see the presser!
    I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!

vCash

If it's a hoax, it's a pretty organized one. The article appears to be written by a professional journalist. And from Diesel's report, a couple of Esks would be in on it too.

If this is a joke, my hat is off to the pranksters. I think it's for real, and I'm laying some vCash on it.

edit: or I would have, but the event is closed!