Calgary
    Chicago
    St. Louis
    Anaheim
    Minnesota
    Nashville
    Columbus

I don't care about the rest.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Re: NHL regular season predictions

You can't have Edmonton in 3rd if Vancouver's in 1st -- first, second and third are the division leaders.. otherwise, looks good!

Granted, I wouldn't mind if the Canucks fell down the rankings a bit.. I get enough crap here onna island as it is!!
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies
    You can't have Edmonton in 3rd if Vancouver's in 1st -- first, second and third are the division leaders.. otherwise, looks good!

Granted, I wouldn't mind if the Canucks fell down the rankings a bit.. I get enough crap here onna island as it is!!
    That is a stupid set up. It should be by points.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

x-San Jose
    x-Detroit
    x-Vancouver
    Edmonton
    Dallas
    Phoenix
    Nashville
    Chicago
    ----------
    Colorado
    Los Angeles
    Calgary
    Anaheim
    Columbus
    St. Louis
    Minnesota

x-Ottawa
    x-Tampa Bay
    x-Philadelphia
    Boston
    Montreal
    New Jersey
    Pittsburgh
    Atlanta
    ----------
    Toronto
    Ny Isles
    Buffalo
    Florida
    Carolina
    Washington
    Ny Rangers

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hootch
    x-Ottawa
    x-Tampa Bay
    x-Philadelphia
    Boston
    Montreal
    New Jersey
    Pittsburgh
    Atlanta
    ----------
    Toronto
    Ny Isles
    Buffalo
    Florida
    Carolina
    Washington
    Ny Rangers
    I don't think Fish is gonna like where you put his Leafs..
    @EsksHistory

vCash

Edmonton/Washington will be the Stanley Cup match up this year.

vCash

Bah... forgot about that.

vCash

Oh I'm with you on that Parkies. DOWN WITH THE CANUCKS!

Chain GunTrigger Happy
    Go Eskies!

vCash

Well I am as much an Oiler fan as anyone on this board, but I am surprised to see people pick the Flames to miss the playoffs, while the Oilers finish 4th or 5th. How exactly does that work? Maybe I am just plain missing something, but in what areas (outside of 3rd and 4th line depth) are the Oilers stronger than the Flames?

vCash

I agree with the rankings except in the east, I think Philly and Tampa will switch spots.
    Escalators never actually "break".... they become stairs
    ~ Mitch Hedberg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt
    Well I am as much an Oiler fan as anyone on this board, but I am surprised to see people pick the Flames to miss the playoffs, while the Oilers finish 4th or 5th. How exactly does that work? Maybe I am just plain missing something, but in what areas (outside of 3rd and 4th line depth) are the Oilers stronger than the Flames?
    Forget the 04 playoffs.

Flames clinched a playoff spot with three games remaining in the season. We were still in the race with two games remaining.

04 Season - Flames 94
    04 Season - Oilers 89

We screwed ourselves by only getting three points head to head vs. the Flames.

If we had won two more games versus Calgary we'd have traded spots in the standings.

I've said it many times; we were not a bad team in 04. We had a bad stretch that really cost us. Losing the season series against Calgary, the Heritage Classic loss, and the LA loss were all costly.

We had the hottest team down the stretch. I did a comparison in 2004 of the last 29 games in the season. No team came close to matching our record. No team. We were the hottest team down the home run stretch.

December and January sucked for us.

On the 31 Jan 04 we lost to LA 4-3. We had a 3-0 lead. That game was an eye opener for the Oilers as over the next 29 games we picked up 40 points out of a possible 58. No team was close to being that hot.

If we would have made it in the playoffs I am certain we would have done some damage.

Everyone is preoccupied with what the Flames did in the playoffs and have forgotten what they did in the regular season.

With the new rules the Flames style of hockey is in trouble.
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster
    We had the hottest team down the stretch. I did a comparison in 2004 of the last 29 games in the season. No team came close to matching our record. No team. We were the hottest team down the home run stretch.

December and January ALWAYS suck for us.. If you could take the last 20 games of the season for the previous 4 years and add 'em together, we'd probably be 30 games over .500 in that makeshift 80-game standings..

Unfortunately, you can't.

Somehow the coaches have to instill that awareness that games in December count just as much as games in March.. and play EACH game like 8th place is on the line. Who knows; might even challenge for first in the Northwest at that rate.. shrug.
    @EsksHistory

vCash

Somehow the coaches have to instill that awareness that games in December count just as much as games in March.. and play EACH game like 8th place is on the line. Who knows; might even challenge for first in the Northwest at that rate.. shrug.
    The captain and the assistants too. I questioned the leadership of Geoff Smith this year and most didn't agree with me.

I would have loved to have had Messier in our dressing room again. For his leadership.

I think it was two seasons ago, just prior to the All-Star break, the Oilers were #1 overall in the standings.

But then we sucked through December and on.
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

The captain and the assistants too. I questioned the leadership of Geoff Smith this year and most didn't agree with me.
    Y'mean Jason Smith, or are you talking about someone else?
    @EsksHistory

vCash

West

Detroit
    Vancouver
    San Jose
    Columbus
    Los Angeles
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Nashville
    ---------
    Colorado
    Anaheim
    St. Louis
    Dallas
    Minnesota
    Phoenix
    Chicago

East

Philadelphia
    Tampa Bay
    Ottawa
    Atlanta
    Pittsburgh
    Montreal
    New Jersey
    NY Islanders
    -----------
    Florida
    Carolina
    Boston
    Buffalo
    NY Rangers
    Toronto
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

December and January ALWAYS suck for us.. If you could take the last 20 games of the season for the previous 4 years and add 'em together, we'd probably be 30 games over .500 in that makeshift 80-game standings..

Unfortunately, you can't.

We have to stop making these late season runs just to try to squeak into the playoffs. There's no way we'd ever go anywhere in the playoffs if we have to go hard for the last month or two just to make it in, we'd just wouldn't have the energy to make a good run. We have to stay in it until the end of the season, no more of these 11th hour runs.
    Go Eskies!

vCash

Forget the 04 playoffs.

Flames clinched a playoff spot with three games remaining in the season. We were still in the race with two games remaining.

04 Season - Flames 94
    04 Season - Oilers 89

We screwed ourselves by only getting three points head to head vs. the Flames.

If we had won two more games versus Calgary we'd have traded spots in the standings.

I've said it many times; we were not a bad team in 04. We had a bad stretch that really cost us. Losing the season series against Calgary, the Heritage Classic loss, and the LA loss were all costly.

On the 31 Jan 04 we lost to LA 4-3. We had a 3-0 lead. That game was an eye opener for the Oilers as over the next 29 games we picked up 40 points out of a possible 58. No team was close to being that hot.

If we would have made it in the playoffs I am certain we would have done some damage.

Everyone is preoccupied with what the Flames did in the playoffs and have forgotten what they did in the regular season.

With the new rules the Flames style of hockey is in trouble.

You know I am far from a Flame apologist (I can't stand them really), but you can't just throw out the 04 playoffs like they don't matter. The Flames beat 3 division leaders and came within 1 goal of winning the Cup. How can you just dismiss that?
    That team gelled in the playoffs. Every player on that team has now had the experience of playing the highest level hockey a team can play. The Oilers sadly, have very few players who have played at that level of intensity for 20+ games in thier career, much less one season. I could argue that the 04 playoffs are the main reason the Flames will be better this year. Also the new rules (IMO) will effect trapping teams (Minnesota, Dallas) more than forechecking teams like the Flames and Oilers. Aside from that, lets look at some of primary changes the Flames made. Langkow is an improvement over Conroy, and Hamrlik is an improvement over Lydman. If the 35 year old Amonte can score just 20 goals (I am betting he will, being that he has never had a season with less than 20 goals and he will be playing with one of the best players in the game in Iginla) the Flames have a 1st line which is very tough to defend against.
    Don't get me wrong, the Oilers have improved....but so have the Flames (and a few other teams) and the Flames have the benefit of the Stanley Cup experience. As it stands right now (providing Kipper only slips a little with his play) they are a half step behind the Canucks IMO. The one thing about the 04 playoffs that might work against them, is the fact that they won't be able to sneak into any buildings this year. Everyone will be 'up' to playing a Stanley Cup finalist.
    The thing that makes predictions so difficult is the unbalanced schedule. Teams like Nashville and Detroit play more games against weaker teams being in the Central division (and the division leader gets a preferable placement) than a team like Edmonton having to play in the Northwest division. For that reason the playoff format is not what I would call fair.
    For what it is worth (I am not one that usually does this kind of thing because teams on paper quite often don't live up to expectations) this is how I am guessing the West will shake down....in all honesty positions 5 - 8 are a crapshoot.

x-Vancouver
    x-San Jose
    x-Detroit
    Calgary
    Nashville
    Los Angeles
    Edmonton
    Colorado
    ----------
    Dallas
    Phoenix
    Anaheim
    Minnesota
    St. Louis
    Columbus
    Chicago
    Last edited by John Galt; 09-14-2005 at 04:11 PM.

vCash

Y'mean Jason Smith, or are you talking about someone else?
    Duh. Yup.
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

You know I am far from a Flame apologist (I can't stand them really), but you can't just throw out the 04 playoffs like they don't matter. The Flames beat 3 division leaders and came within 1 goal of winning the Cup. How can you just dismiss that?
    That team gelled in the playoffs. Every player on that team has now had the experience of playing the highest level hockey a team can play. The Oilers sadly, have very few players who have played at that level of intensity for 20+ games in thier career, much less one season. I could argue that the 04 playoffs are the main reason the Flames will be better this year. Also the new rules (IMO) will effect trapping teams (Minnesota, Dallas) more than forechecking teams like the Flames and Oilers. Aside from that, lets look at some of primary changes the Flames made. Langkow is an improvement over Conroy, and Hamrlik is an improvement over Lydman. If the 35 year old Amonte can score just 20 goals (I am betting he will, being that he has never had a season with less than 20 goals and he will be playing with one of the best players in the game in Iginla) the Flames have a 1st line which is very tough to defend against.
    Don't get me wrong, the Oilers have improved....but so have the Flames (and a few other teams) and the Flames have the benefit of the Stanley Cup experience. As it stands right now (providing Kipper only slips a little with his play) they are a half step behind the Canucks IMO. The one thing about the 04 playoffs that might work against them, is the fact that they won't be able to sneak into any buildings this year. Everyone will be 'up' to playing a Stanley Cup finalist.
    The thing that makes predictions so difficult is the unbalanced schedule. Teams like Nashville and Detroit play more games against weaker teams being in the Central division (and the division leader gets a preferable placement) than a team like Edmonton having to play in the Northwest division. For that reason the playoff format is not what I would call fair.
    For what it is worth (I am not one that usually does this kind of thing because teams on paper quite often don't live up to expectations) this is how I am guessing the West will shake down....in all honesty positions 5 - 8 are a crapshoot.

x-Vancouver
    x-San Jose
    x-Detroit
    Calgary
    Nashville
    Los Angeles
    Edmonton
    Colorado
    ----------
    Dallas
    Phoenix
    Anaheim
    Minnesota
    St. Louis
    Columbus
    Chicago
    One goal from winning a fluke. And look what occurred to other teams who have been to the Cup lately?

Vancouver also had them on the ropes but their goaltending situation cost them.

Kipper stole some games. It was a one-year wonder.

And the Flames are not a strong forechecking team. They play the trap. They only call it the neutral zone forecheck.

Calgary clogged up the lanes and didn't allow the better teams to skate in the playoffs. That sort of interference will not be permitted this year.

This video reeks of Calgary's play:

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/09/234088.html
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jcr
    West

Detroit
    Vancouver
    San Jose
    Columbus
    Los Angeles
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Nashville
    ---------
    Colorado
    Anaheim
    St. Louis
    Dallas
    Minnesota
    Phoenix
    Chicago

East

Philadelphia
    Tampa Bay
    Ottawa
    Atlanta
    Pittsburgh
    Montreal
    New Jersey
    NY Islanders
    -----------
    Florida
    Carolina
    Boston
    Buffalo
    NY Rangers
    Toronto
    No Washington Capitals on that list...

vCash

Washington - DNF.
    I officially retract my vote for DDS as Prime Minister. He's clearly incompetent.

vCash

One goal from winning a fluke. And look what occurred to other teams who have been to the Cup lately?

Vancouver also had them on the ropes but their goaltending situation cost them.

Kipper stole some games. It was a one-year wonder.

And the Flames are not a strong forechecking team. They play the trap. They only call it the neutral zone forecheck.

Calgary clogged up the lanes and didn't allow the better teams to skate in the playoffs. That sort of interference will not be permitted this year.

This video reeks of Calgary's play:

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/09/234088.html
    Thanks for the link, although this video doesn't really help your argument. There were actually more examples of Flames being interfered with than doing the interfering. I had the displeasure of watching the Flames a lot in 03/04 and more often than not, they played a high pressure forecheck (2 men in)...very similar to the system the Oilers used.
    I hate the Flames as much as any decent Oiler fan but I am not going to pretend they don't have a good team in an attempt to make myself feel better.
    They have better goaltending than the Oilers...period.
    They have a better group of defensemen 1 through 6 than the Oilers.
    They have a better 1st line than the Oilers.
    Some would argue (not me) they have a better coach in Sutter.
    I am actually okay with this because I don't define the Oilers by comparing them to the Flames.
    Anyway, it will be fun to watch this all play out over the course of the year. Hopefully someone will revive this thread in March or April and we can see how right or wrong we were.

vCash

I'm with John Galt on this one. For as much as I like the Oilers and hate the Flames, the Oilers aren't a great team right now. Their goaltending is a HUGE question mark (and no team can dominate without great goaltending), defense is solid, but not necessarily deep. Forwards are solid, but we all know that once again they're going to struggle scoring. As it stands now, I see the Oilers finishing anywhere from 6th to 10th.
    These pretzels are making me thirsty.

vCash

Thanks for the link, although this video doesn't really help your argument. There were actually more examples of Flames being interfered with than doing the interfering.
    Hey John,

They did that so as not to make the Flames feel like they are being picked on. You see the Flames more then any other team. There is only one extra example of them being interfered with.

The times the Flames were interfered with were probably retaliatory or frustration penalties. I think the NHL should hand out medals to those teams for doing that to the Flames.

As for the rest of your post, I think the Oilers are more evenly matched if not better then the Flames.

Time will tell.
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by earl2
    I'm with John Galt on this one. For as much as I like the Oilers and hate the Flames, the Oilers aren't a great team right now. Their goaltending is a HUGE question mark (and no team can dominate without great goaltending), defense is solid, but not necessarily deep. Forwards are solid, but we all know that once again they're going to struggle scoring. As it stands now, I see the Oilers finishing anywhere from 6th to 10th.
    Jussi is a great goalie. Too bad he is injured.

Kipper is going to be a one year wonder.
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Jussi is a great goalie. Too bad he is injured.

Jussi has shown flashes of greatness. He needs to spread it over the course of a season for the Oilers to make the playoffs.

And you could be right about Kiprusoff, I remember some goalies by the name of Andre Racicot, Byron Dafoe, Steve Penney...
    These pretzels are making me thirsty.

vCash

Hey John,

I think the NHL should hand out medals to those teams for doing that to the Flames.

On this we definately agree.

vCash

I am skeptical...but I hope you are right.

vCash

[QUOTE=Nanookster]I've said it many times; we were not a bad team in 04. We had a bad stretch that really cost us. [QUOTE]

it seems to me that the oilers weren't a bad team 5 on 5, but where they had trouble was penalty kill and powerplay especially, I honestly thought that they would have had a few more wins with better PK and PP, and adding Pronger should help in both of those areas as well as Peca for Pk especially.