Thread: 13 Questions...

KnuckleChucker Guest

Question 13 Questions...

A little history....

A few months back I contacted the powers that be at the EsksFans Site. I told them I would like to send out a few short questions to a few of the Eskimo players and have them answer and post them on the site. Between myself and the mods we came up with the following questions.

1. When were you first introduced to the Esks organization and by who?

2. What is your proudest moment in amateur and pro sports?

3. If you are American, what was the hardest thing to get used to with the Canadian game?

4. What is your favorite aspect of Canadian Football?

5. Who was your favorite player and Football team (Any League) growing up?

6. Do you play any other sports?

7. Do you have any advice you would give to young players with aspirations of playing pro football?

8. Funniest prank or gag you've seen while playing football?

9. If you could meet one person of any era, who would it be and why?

10. What's the one thing most people would be shocked/surprised to learn about you?

11. What is your nickname and how did they get it?

12. Who was the CFL player you found most challenging to play against in your career?

13. What particular moment/aspect of your life made you choose professional football as your career?

I will post the replies as I can track them down. Special thanks go to the mods and to the players and ex-players that frequent the site.

I just received the first reply and fittingly it was our very own Mr. Roberts. So without further ado, here are his answers.
    Last edited by KnuckleChucker; 09-15-2005 at 11:54 AM.

KnuckleChucker Guest

Re: 13 Questions...

Jed Roberts...

I came into the league with the Bombers in 1990. Then head coach Mike Riley was my d-coordinator at the University of Northern Colorado back in 1986.. He brought me in and I hurt my hamstring on the second day covering Robert Mimbs on a pass route.. I rehabbed for the rest of camp and they released me. I called every team and the first team to call me back was the Eskimos. Bruce Lemmerman was the man who called me.

There are a few.. Winning the Grey Cup in Calgary in 93 is up there... Growing up and having my mother be at every football game I ever played in up until college-rain snow or sunshine would have to be at the top of the list. I always had to look over to see her in the crowd before the game started. Once I found her I knew everything was going to be just fine..

3. If you are American, what was the hardest thing to get used to with the Canadian game?

I played all of my football down south up until I came to the CFL so I guess I can answer this one.. Two things come to mind. The unlimited motion completely freaked me out when I first got up here and having just twenty seconds between plays damn near killed me.

The fact that there are three downs which opens the game up wide from a strategic standpoint.. I also love the five yard no yards rule on punts..

My favorite NFL player growing up was Jack Lambert and my favorite team was the Steelers until I moved to Colorado when I was thirteen/fourteen. Then I became a Die Hard Bronco fan..
    My favorite CFL player and team growing up were my dad and the Ottawa Roughriders.

Ran track in high school Finshed third in the state of Colorado in the 1985 State meet in (get this) the triple jump with a jump of 47-7. The two guys I finished behind thar year both went on to become prolific triple jumpers in the NCAA.. I also wrestled and played basketball- but my favorite sport other than football was always volleyball. I don't play a whole lot of team sports anymore.. Now I lift weights and go hiking with my dog a lot..

7. Do you have any advice you would give to young players with aspirations of playing pro football?

Don't put all of your eggs into that basket. Get your education. Make yourself as coachable as you can.. Learn as many different skills as possible out on the field to make yourself a better all around player and more valuable to your team.

Well.. I can't really print the best gags I have ever seen.. But the time that Mike Mc Lean hit Larry Wruck by putting that powder that turns your skin dark purple when it gets moist onto his practice clothing the day after a game was priceless.. We were out on the field and we noticed that Larry's nexk was turning purple.. He ran inside all in a panick to the trainers and they discovered that it was nothing more than a prank.. A very good prank.. Larry was in the bathroom scrubbing around his face, neck and chest frantically in an effort to get the purple stain to come off of his skin.. It stayed on for weeks, and he had a big date with his wife and in-laws that night... Makes me giggle just thinking about it..

Winston Churchill. He was the right man at the right time.

10. What's the one thing most people would be shocked/surprised to learn about you?

I write poetry

Jedrock. I think that Chris Hardy and Dan Crowley were the two guys who came up with it one night while we were out. It kind of stuck. My dad calls me Ingemar Mc Phooey.

12. Who was the CFL player you found most challenging to play against in your career?

Andrew Greene, Jim Mills, Mark Dixon. In that order.

13. What particular moment/aspect of your life made you choose professional football as your career?

My dad leaving the family. I needed some way to feel closer to him.
    Last edited by KnuckleChucker; 09-15-2005 at 02:46 PM.

KnuckleChucker Guest

Roger Reinson

Tom Higgins called me up in 2001 while I was with the Lions, about 45 minutes after walking out of then head coach Steve Burrato's office. Steve told me he didn't need me as their long snapper as he wanted to give the gig to someone younger (where have I heard that before...), and before I had even cleaned out my locker, Tom called my cell looking to fill a gap in Edmonton's special teams. The cool thing is Tom was the guy who drafted me out of university when he was with the Stampeders in 94, but since he left to join the Eskimos prior to that season, I didn't get to play for the guy until the Edmonton chapter 8 years later.

2. List in order your 5 most favorite books? ( A little improv here )
    Hey, that's a great question... ok, #1, I Know This Much Is True - Wally Lamb #2, Ishmael - Daniel Quinn #3, Pilgram - Timothy Findley #4 The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho #5 at last there is nothing left to say - Matthew Good (BONUS BOOK - The Devinci Code - Dan Brown)

Every day I thank the higher power I was born here in Canada for a multitude of reasons...

*** SEE BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE ***

5. Who was your favorite musician and band (Any Genre) growing up? (More improv)
    Another great question! I grew up with Led Zep, KISS, Rush, The Police, and branched into Metallica, Radiohead, U2, I Mother Earth...too many to mention really. Matthew Good is pretty much a staple nowadays. See you all at the shows @ the Starlite room on Oct 29th and 30th.

Oh yeah, competition probably makes up 70% of my blood. Squash, hoops, hockey - I love it all.

Sure. Be realistic, thousands of players better than you or I for that matter get overlooked simply because of circumstance. Throw a hoola hoop into an ocean of athletes, and those who get lassoed make it to the show you know? That being said, if you have an unparalleled passion to play the game, sacrifice relentlessly to be the most qualified athlete/person you can be. ( And learn how to run really, really fast...)

Easy. While in Calgary (not sure if it's still done beacause of the obvious),after the media practice just before the first playoff game of any given year we would have a staged ceremony awarding the "rookie of the year" a bogus round trip flight to anywhere in North America. This was of course set up with a local airline representitive and all the media would get us to pose for a photo standing behind the winner with his big airline ticket. As the photo was taken, about five of us would plaster the guy with cream pies as he was totally unsuspecting. Rookies...

Jesus, Osama Bin Laden, Bush - all of these guys have some answering to do as far as I'm concerned.

During my offseasons for the past 10 years I've worked at a group home in Calgary acting as a youth care worker, teaching kids life skills and basically acting as a guardian to probably hundreds of kids by now...shocking!

11. What is one thing we can all do to help people in our community wherever we live which wouldn't cost us a single penny, or take up even one extra second of our precious time?
    Well, this site certainly does ask some fantastic questions doesn't it?! My suggestion, would be that when we all go to the grocery store to fill our fridges, you know, the over $100 kinds of shopping hauls,that we keep our eyes open for products that are sold "buy one get one free" (Safeway has these sales daily) that we are comfortable purchasing for ourselves, and DONATE the free item to the food bank. Simple, isn't it. If even half of the people visiting this site took it upon themselves to do this, just think of the possibilities...

Probably the Giz. The guy ran like a locomotive. Yeh, he was a special athlete.... and I've tackled them all. (sing to Bon Jovi's song, you know the one...)

I think ultimately football chooses you, and you either go along for the ride, or step aside. Kinda like standing at a bus stop I guess. So I don't really know how to answer that one. I mean, I got drafted, I had bills, and when I was offered cash to chase guys, it seamed like a good idea at the time.

KnuckleChucker Guest

#77 - AJ Gass

I was intoduced in 1997 by Dan Brown, my linebacker coach at Fresno State. Dan had coached with Brad Miller who was coaching D-Line here at the time.

Proudest moment was also in '97. We had a Thursday night game on ESPN, Fresno ST. vs Utah. I ended the game with 15 tackles and 5 sacks with a forced fumble. It was one of the few times my extended family had a chance to watch me play since most of them lived out of state. As a professional, it was Grey Cup 05. To be part of a Grey Cup with that much excitement was amazing.

Hardest thing to adjust to in the CFL was the pace of the game, the 20 second play clock is no joke.

My favorite part of the Canadian game is the way the clock forces you to play every snap till the game is over.

Walter Payton and the Bears.

Is Poker a sport? If not, Basketball.

Get an education, stay focused, and be prepared to make sacrafices.

Watching Giz streak through my first ever Eskimo team meeting.

Socrates (if he spoke English). It would make for an interesting conversation.

I dislike running and working out.

I guess A.J. is actually a nickname. It was given to me by my grandfather when I was a newborn.

Dan Comisky. The one guy I least liked to line up against.

The moment I was offerd a contract to do something I love.