Page 188 of 188 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188
Results 5,611 to 5,637 of 5637

Thread: The Movie Mega-Thread

vCash

Re: The Movie Mega-Thread

Finally saw Ad Astra. Blech. 6/10

Such a juvenile story wrapped in a pseudo cerebral pile of baboon feces. Suspend all what you might know about space travel and physics.

If you love MacGuffins, you'll love this one!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Finally saw Ad Astra. Blech. 6/10

Such a juvenile story wrapped in a pseudo cerebral pile of baboon feces. Suspend all what you might know about space travel and physics.

If you love MacGuffins, you'll love this one!
    I totally get the meh most people have toward this film. My experience was almost spiritual because of the mood I was in (and my own relationship with my father who has been gone for a number of years). As much as the filmed moved me and provided me with my own epiphany, it's not gonna have that impact for everyone.
    PS - I had no idea what a MacGuffin was until I googled it.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 06-27-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I totally get the meh most people have toward this film. My experience was almost spiritual because of the mood I was in (and my own relationship with my father who has been gone for a number of years). As much as the filmed moved me and provided me with my own epiphany, it's not gonna have that impact for everyone.
    PS - I had no idea what a MacGuffin was until I googled it.
    I appreciate your connection. It just didn't resonate with me.

I also had to laugh at Liv Tyler. Is she typecast as the left behind astronaut's love interest? LOL

vCash

I really liked Ad Astra. But for my money, the best film I've seen this year is The Gentlemen.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I really liked Ad Astra. But for my money, the best film I've seen this year is The Gentlemen.
    I've only seen the trailer and it has Guy Ritchie written all over it. Hoping to see this one soon.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I finally saw Joker. Man, did I ever enjoy this. What a great movie.
    Just saw it and I agree 100%.

Generally I don't care for the superhero movies. That is why I was so surprised at this one.

Acting, story, cinematography and music was fantastic! 9/10

Would have been 10/10 but got too preachy at the end by trying to explain the obvious. Felt like they were dumbing it down for those that didn't get it.

vCash

So working through the list of 2020 Oscar Best picture nominees:

1. Jojo Rabbit
    2. Marriage Story
    3. Joker
    4. 1917

All very entertaining and well done. I loved them all. Very tough to rank them. They switch each time I consider them.

4. Parasite - good movie. Just don't think it is better than the four mentioned above.

5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Fun, typical Tarantino ending
    6. Ford v Ferrari - Good, could have used more editing, slow at times

7. Little Women – Never saw it. Could move up if I ever do. Will not move down.

8. The Irishman – hated it

vCash

Recently watched "Palm Beach" on Hulu. It was a lot of fun. Think "Groundhog Day" with a twist and a little more adult themes. I'd recommend it.

I forgot about the Village. I actually liked that one as well. Hated the Happening.
    I watch the Village every year in the fall, one of my all time favourites!

vCash
    Blog Entries

"The Power Project" came up on my Netflix the other night so I figured what the heck...
    Was really surprised at how good it was. Action, mystery, good cast, not too cheesy, decent dialogue. All in all I'd recommend for sure! There are a few "Ya DON'T SAY!!" moments but not nearly as many as a lot of other movies.

Tried again on the weekend to watch "The Godfather" even going so far as skipping the first half hour since I know that part already...nope. Even having it on in the background - ugh, might as well watch whatever Pokemon garbage is on the tv instead. Sorry, I know a ton of people love it and rave about it, but I just can't.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

7. Little Women – Never saw it. Could move up if I ever do. Will not move down.

8. The Irishman – hated it
    I did see Little Women. Not a bad movie but wasn't my thing. The ladies around me enjoyed it. Rankings still don't change.

Might not be the right crowd but also saw a couple of musicals:

Cats - A real hairball. Poor stage musical doesn't become any better on the screen. Blech/10

Hamilton - Been listening to the soundtrack for a few years. Loved it. Awesome/10

vCash

Watched the new Bill and Ted this weekend, it was actually quite enjoyable. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it was fun to watch something light hearted and good natured with the state of everything today.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Watched the new Bill and Ted this weekend, it was actually quite enjoyable. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it was fun to watch something light hearted and good natured with the state of everything today.
    I've heard good things from a few people. Trailers looked like fun.

vCash

I like the fact that they are allowing you to "rent" new movies to watch at home through streaming services.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    I like the fact that they are allowing you to "rent" new movies to watch at home through streaming services.
    The theatre chains have tried really hard to stop this. AMC Theatres in the US, owned by CineWorld threatened Universal with not showing their films after they released Trolls World Tour direct on Demand. But loads of people will be too scared to go to theatres without a vaccine. If that trend holds CineWorld, Cineplex and everyone else will go the way of the DoDo.

However, the head of IMAX said that the numbers this past weekend for Tenet were large.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Of course the head of IMAX is going to say something is large...

I don't really miss going to the theater but I DO miss the popcorn... When you put a straw down to the bottom and pour the "buttery topping" into the straw to get that even distribution... Drool.

vCash

I hated the idea at first. Renting for $20 seemed absurd. But I really had no issue trying on Friday for Bill and Ted as we wanted to watch it but were too exhausted to get to a theater, and I'm glad we did it.

- - - Updated - - -

The theatre chains have tried really hard to stop this. AMC Theatres in the US, owned by CineWorld threatened Universal with not showing their films after they released Trolls World Tour direct on Demand. But loads of people will be too scared to go to theatres without a vaccine. If that trend holds CineWorld, Cineplex and everyone else will go the way of the DoDo.

However, the head of IMAX said that the numbers this past weekend for Tenet were large.
    I think at $20 for the rental it's high enough that I'd still likely pick the theater for many movies I'd like to see as the experience in theater will always be different than what it brings at home.

That said, I did like having the choice this weekend because our schedule would have prevented us seeing it for at least another month.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Hopefully by November when No Time To Die is released it'll be a little more calm to go to the theater.

vCash

Watching at home isn't a complete substitute. The big blockbuster action movies are still better on the big screen, and sometimes you just want an excuse to get out of the house. These days, I wait for a lot of movies to come out on Bluray/streaming anyway. I would have liked to have seen Bill and Ted in the theaters, but I just don't feel comfortable sitting for a couple hours in a theater, so this gives me a way to watch it without waiting for a few months.

If drive-ins were still around, they might have actually thrived through COVID.

vCash

Watching at home isn't a complete substitute. The big blockbuster action movies are still better on the big screen, and sometimes you just want an excuse to get out of the house. These days, I wait for a lot of movies to come out on Bluray/streaming anyway. I would have liked to have seen Bill and Ted in the theaters, but I just don't feel comfortable sitting for a couple hours in a theater, so this gives me a way to watch it without waiting for a few months.

If drive-ins were still around, they might have actually thrived through COVID.
    Kind of ironic isn't it. Things we did 50 years ago could have continued through this without incident. Drive-ins would have been packed through this if they were still around.

vCash

To make my home experience like a drive-in, I'd have to obscure my view of the picture, degrade the sound quality, sit in an awkward position, and keep the movie running while I went to the bathroom. Not appealing at all.

Drive-ins were never a place to actually watch a movie.

vCash
    Blog Entries

To make my home experience like a drive-in, I'd have to obscure my view of the picture, degrade the sound quality, sit in an awkward position, and keep the movie running while I went to the bathroom. Not appealing at all.

Drive-ins were never a place to actually watch a movie.
    I used to think that too until we went to a drive-in last summer down in Portland. When you have a newer vehicle with a spiffy sound system, cooled/heated massage seats it sure helps with the movie viewing! (Shameless plug for my employer Audi Canada...)
    Sucks here though because by the time it gets dark enough to watch a movie, it's too late!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I used to think that too until we went to a drive-in last summer down in Portland. When you have a newer vehicle with a spiffy sound system, cooled/heated massage seats it sure helps with the movie viewing! (Shameless plug for my employer Audi Canada...)
    Sucks here though because by the time it gets dark enough to watch a movie, it's too late!
    Or by the time it get dark early enough, it's too cold. Though that's where the heated seats come into play.

vCash

I don't much miss the theatre. I have a large enough TV at home and surround sound, so I'm good. Plus I can plause, use a clean washroom, and never have to worry about that one a-hole you ALWAYS get in the theatre who talks.

There will be some that will be willing to go to the movies. But you will have limited capacity and limited audiences until there is a vaccine. I'm not sure what kind of margins theatres run on. Restaurants and retail run on 10% margins or less, which is why you've seen so many closures.

vCash

Yeah, I'd be curious about the margins as well. Everyone knows snacks are marked up massively and I'd imagine contracts with the studios tie the costs to show the films to audience sizes so they shouldn't be losing on those two key areas.

Where the issue likely comes is they have to have gigantic leasing costs to house those massive amphitheaters, lobbies and such. Theatres aren't the picture of space optimization that's for sure. As such, the markup on what they sell is likely in large portion to pay for their leases. I can't imagine those lease costs will drop.

It's kind of strange to think that the theatres that have been starting to offer in theatre food services may be best positioned to work through this if they can reduce the footprint of the concession area and repurpose it because that area only gets used for a small amount of time between movie showings.
    Last edited by bone; 09-03-2020 at 01:18 PM.

vCash

I was a child of the drive in era. I wouldn't doubt if I was conceived at the drive in, lol. I wish there was a drive-in on Vancouver Island but the last one closed down way back in 1982. During my teen/young adult years I spent many a night at (usually) the Millwoods Twin, or Twin Drive Inn (just off 137th).

If you are ever in the Vancouver area, be sure to check out the Twilight Drive-In located just outside of Langley. It's a good sized lot with really good food at the concessions. I don't get off the island a lot, but when I do, I'm sure to go to the drive-in every time.

The picture is a shot from one of my first visits to this drive in.

If you are ever in the Okanagan for vacation, I highly recommend a small detour to the town of Enderby & the Starlight Drive In.
    http://www.starlightdrivein.ca/
    It's a beautiful drive-in with North America's largest outdoor screen - little bit of an Edmonton connection here - the screen was actually purchased from the Sherwood Park Drive-In when it was torn down way back when. The concessions have good food with free refills on large pop or popcorn. There is a great privately owned campground directly in town backing onto the river. Beautiful placed to spend a day or two.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    If you are ever in the Vancouver area, be sure to check out the Twilight Drive-In located just outside of Langley. It's a good sized lot with really good food at the concessions. I don't get off the island a lot, but when I do, I'm sure to go to the drive-in every time.
    Ha, that's just down the road from where I work, and I'd never heard of it! And at my advanced age, never been to a drive-in. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.