Page 187 of 187 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187
Results 5,581 to 5,593 of 5593

Thread: The Movie Mega-Thread

vCash

Re: The Movie Mega-Thread

Tonight, I will be watching The Sixth Sense. It was released twenty years ago today in theatres, and remains of my favourites. So much to appreciate about this film. I think the cinematography by Tak Fujimoto & the score by James Newton Howard really helped make this film what it is.

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Saw "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" this weekend. Loved it.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure MNS peaked at Unbreakable... Both that and Sixth Sense were great movies but the rest of his catalog has been pretty smelly.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to Jaws last night... Still a fantastic movie!!!
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Pretty sure MNS peaked at Unbreakable... Both that and Sixth Sense were great movies but the rest of his catalog has been pretty smelly.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to Jaws last night... Still a fantastic movie!!!
    MOST of MNS's catalogue sucks. Sixth Sense was good.

Jaws is a classic. Amazing film.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Agree. Although I'm a fan, so I like most of his films. I like some of his approaches. I know Lady In The Water got panned, but I liked the fairy tale concept behind the story. Many scenes were purposely shot at a lower angle to give the viewer the perspective of a child.
    I tried to convince myself that I liked After Earth, but couldn't bring myself to do it. The Happening was an absolute disaster. I thought he wrote a good screenplay with Devil and both The Visit and Split were nice directorial rebounds. This year's Glass was another return to the terrible though.

vCash

I recently watched Split and Glass, and liked them. I think they did a good job of completing the story of Unbreakable and follow a similar mood (James McAvoy chews the scenes in Split, even if the psychiatrist in me cringes at the terrible and inaccurate stereotypes of mental illness). Not as strong as Sixth Sense, but better than a lot of his other movies. I think he tries too hard to have a twist at the end of his movies that it often comes across as way too predictable, and/or it unravels the story he was trying to tell.

vCash

Recently watch Shazam. Marvel movies have generally had the upper hand on DC movies as they tend to be more "fun", adding in elements of humor with the action which my kids (and the big kid in me) find more entertaining, as opposed to the dark, brooding, or "gritty" elements that have been more common in the DC movies. But Shazam is a shift from a lot of the other DC movies, incorporating humor and fun into the storyline. I enjoyed it, and my kids loved it.

vCash
    Blog Entries

The little man and I just watched Shazam as well and I concur...funny and light! I'm vaguely familiar with the character from my younger days but didn't go into it with very high expectations. Was no Endgame by any means but it has it's place.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Went to see this on the weekend. Good fun, creepy and atmospheric. Not my typical type of horror movie, but if you've got some pre-teens at home that are looking for some good scares, it's an excellent introduction into real horror movies.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 08-12-2019 at 12:49 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Agree. Although I'm a fan, so I like most of his films. I like some of his approaches. I know Lady In The Water got panned, but I liked the fairy tale concept behind the story. Many scenes were purposely shot at a lower angle to give the viewer the perspective of a child.
    I tried to convince myself that I liked After Earth, but couldn't bring myself to do it. The Happening was an absolute disaster. I thought he wrote a good screenplay with Devil and both The Visit and Split were nice directorial rebounds. This year's Glass was another return to the terrible though.
    Couldn't agree more with all your comments. I still like most his movies, enjoyed Signs, The Village and even Lady in the Water to a lesser extent. The Happening is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. He meandered for a bit after that, but I loved The Visit and Split but haven't got around to Glass yet after the disaster reviews and didn't realize I missed a movie with After Earth.

That said, I also agree with NFF, sometimes he seems to get too caught up in having the big reveal at the end and sacrifices the overall storytelling, but there are still some good stories coming out of his movies and his cinematography is usually top notch.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I actually like The Happening. I mean, the ending is stupid, but the idea was terrifying. Also love The Village. Bryce Dallas Howard is amazing in it.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I actually like The Happening. I mean, the ending is stupid, but the idea was terrifying. Also love The Village. Bryce Dallas Howard is amazing in it.
    Absolutely the premise was scary as f.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I forgot about the Village. I actually liked that one as well. Hated the Happening.