Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 191

Thread: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Regina, SK
    Posts
    468
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by TurfToe
    hmmm... I suddenly realized what my avi will be over at CFLZone!

    Uh oh!!!


  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose Jaw
    Posts
    2,006
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    In related news, three members of the Edmonton Sun newspaper were fired on Thursday after it was revealed that a newspaper article meant to discredit a local fan site was nothing more than a staff attempt to try and find internet porn on work time. Staff were also disappointed when they discovered that the images on "Esksfans.com" were small and contained no nudity. When asked for comment, Sun spokespeople only would say that the reporters involved were not fired for looking at pictures of girls on-line, but for being so stupid as to try and find internet love in the form of a avatar.
    It's gonna be legen... wait for it, and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second half of the word is ...dary....

    LEGENDARY

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Not sure what is up with the article or what Cary Castagna has against the site ...

    I did a quick google and if this is the same Cary Castagna - they seem to like scantily clad well built females as well ...

    take a look at the photo credit on the pic on this website ... http://www.seriousaboutfitness.com/d...l_20021015.htm

    In fact google seems to have quite a few artciles where she is discussing physically ft people...

    But guys the biggest thing ... based on what I saw on google - it seems she hails from Winnipeg - so perhaps that explains things ...

  4. #34
    Steve Vale's Avatar
    Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    Posts
    7,329
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by LFITQ
    But guys the biggest thing ... based on what I saw on google - it seems she hails from Winnipeg - so perhaps that explains things ...
    That she's as flat as the landscape there?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Oakville; tequila.net
    Posts
    14,567
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    zing! Zing!! ZING!!!


    Turf Toe:
    - "...turf toe is a common malady that is more of a nuisance than a serious injury."
    - "Turf toe can often progress into a chronic problem..."
    - "A mild instance of turf toe (grade 1) can be merely aggravating while a serious case (grade 3) can be debilitating."

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Oakville; tequila.net
    Posts
    14,567
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    And in my own bit of research in two media databases that will give you the contact info for anyone of importance (editors, publishers, producers, writers, photo editors, etc) at any media outlet (print, radio, tv, Internet) in Canada and the US... that name didn't come up at all!
    Turf Toe:
    - "...turf toe is a common malady that is more of a nuisance than a serious injury."
    - "Turf toe can often progress into a chronic problem..."
    - "A mild instance of turf toe (grade 1) can be merely aggravating while a serious case (grade 3) can be debilitating."

  7. #37
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,259
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    198

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    for anyone of importance
    exactly
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Oakville; tequila.net
    Posts
    14,567
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by LFITQ
    Not sure what is up with the article or what Cary Castagna has against the site ...

    I did a quick google and if this is the same Cary Castagna - they seem to like scantily clad well built females as well ...

    take a look at the photo credit on the pic on this website ... http://www.seriousaboutfitness.com/d...l_20021015.htm

    In fact google seems to have quite a few artciles where she is discussing physically ft people...

    But guys the biggest thing ... based on what I saw on google - it seems she hails from Winnipeg - so perhaps that explains things ...
    Hey LFITQ, I notice that it took an event like this to finally draw you over here!

    cool!

    edit-- LFITQ, for those of you that don't know, is a good (albeit misguided) fan from back in the total-cfl days. That's right, isn't it?
    Turf Toe:
    - "...turf toe is a common malady that is more of a nuisance than a serious injury."
    - "Turf toe can often progress into a chronic problem..."
    - "A mild instance of turf toe (grade 1) can be merely aggravating while a serious case (grade 3) can be debilitating."

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. Albert
    Posts
    13,216
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    I don't know what's more unbelievable.
    1. That our site gets singles out when every team site I've been on has pics like these.
    2. That the Sun actually ran the story.
    3. That they talked to the police.
    4. That this ran on the third page.
    5. That they didn't run this at the bottom of the page with the Sunshine Girl.

    Unbelievable.
    I officially retract my vote for DDS as Prime Minister. He's clearly incompetent.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    796
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    So from the story I get the impression that if the Esks had there way they would shut this site down.

    I have to say that the ESKS.COM site is boring site, very vanilla.
    If it's not Boeing I'm not going.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Oakville; tequila.net
    Posts
    14,567
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    I get the impression that the Esks had to say that from a corporate communications standpoint. As there is no affiliation to this site they didn't have to back it in any way.

    However, you can bet that members of the Esks do check on this site... if only to get a different (dare I say, better) perspective on what fans are thinking/talking about. This site does tend to get far more indepth than the Esks own fan forum.
    Turf Toe:
    - "...turf toe is a common malady that is more of a nuisance than a serious injury."
    - "Turf toe can often progress into a chronic problem..."
    - "A mild instance of turf toe (grade 1) can be merely aggravating while a serious case (grade 3) can be debilitating."

  12. #42
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,259
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    198

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    However, you can bet that members of the Esks do check on this site...
    Absolutely they do.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Regina, SK
    Posts
    468
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    The more I think about it, all this does is bring more exposure to this site and makes them look like idiots.


    Last edited by Migs; 01-05-2006 at 05:27 PM.

  14. #44
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,259
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    198

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Geez, now the word is spreading!
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,701
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    179

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by Migs



  16. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by TurfToe
    Hey LFITQ, I notice that it took an event like this to finally draw you over here!

    cool!

    edit-- LFITQ, for those of you that don't know, is a good (albeit misguided) fan from back in the total-cfl days. That's right, isn't it?
    Well I have lurked occassionally.

    And an event like this should pretty much draw us all together in the internet community. Personally I'm not fussy on fishman's avy not because it isn't good (cause I don't mind it at all ) - just because I think with the number of "younger" CFL fans that these boards draw it isn't a good idea. But with that being said, I don't find any "problem" with fishman's (just using him as he was singled - probably unfairly- out in the article) avy - it's just not what I would choose to use. Personal opinion and that's it. And as has been posted if I was offended (and trust me I'm anything but!! ) this board does allow users to turn them off. Besides, I personally think that the use of avy's merely gives an insight into the person who is posting - so it helps to give you their POV.

    This is a privately funded website. If the Esks have a problem with it (and guessing by the connections into the team this board has they don't really have a problem) then they can help to fund the board and the hard and dedicated work it takes to run one in order to get their decisions made real on it. But in truth I think the Eskimos PR department gave it the usual PC lip service and once the interview was over probably looked at each other and aksed themselves the same question we ahve been asking "Doesn't this 'journalist' -and I use the term lightly- have anything better to cover??" You do know there is a little thing called an election happening in the country. I'm pretty sure it affects Edmonton more than a really tiny picture on a private fan board.

    When I first read the article I thought maybe the writer (no I won't use journalist) was actually someone who had been banned from the site and was just getting back at everyone out of spite... I wanted to know what the writer had done so horribly to get banned (ok insert "cheer for the Lions" jokes here) and have that much animosity ...

    Imagine my surprise to find out that it wasn't the case and this writer merely has nothing better to write about ... And they get paid for that?? Now I am merely left wondering what the Editor was thinking allowing that to go to print - especially from the Sun???

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Oakville; tequila.net
    Posts
    14,567
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Thanks LFITQ!! great post!
    Turf Toe:
    - "...turf toe is a common malady that is more of a nuisance than a serious injury."
    - "Turf toe can often progress into a chronic problem..."
    - "A mild instance of turf toe (grade 1) can be merely aggravating while a serious case (grade 3) can be debilitating."

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,340
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by LFITQ
    Not sure what is up with the article or what Cary Castagna has against the site ...

    I did a quick google and if this is the same Cary Castagna - they seem to like scantily clad well built females as well ...

    take a look at the photo credit on the pic on this website ... http://www.seriousaboutfitness.com/d...l_20021015.htm

    In fact google seems to have quite a few artciles where she is discussing physically ft people...

    But guys the biggest thing ... based on what I saw on google - it seems she hails from Winnipeg - so perhaps that explains things ...
    In this case, Cary is not a she. He's a guy.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. Albert
    Posts
    13,216
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Well then he should feel better, cause I'm using one of his scantily clad pics for an avy. Maybe he's just jealous. Maybe he's a porn photographer and he wants us to use his pics...
    I officially retract my vote for DDS as Prime Minister. He's clearly incompetent.

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Oakville; tequila.net
    Posts
    14,567
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by Tojo
    In this case, Cary is not a she. He's a guy.
    you're a media guy Tojo... what's your take on all of this?
    (if you'd rather PM me I'll instigate the 'hack/flack rule of secrecy' ... that's the one whereby honourable PR people and media types keep quiet about stuff - usually because of some debauchery on a client paid trip! )
    Turf Toe:
    - "...turf toe is a common malady that is more of a nuisance than a serious injury."
    - "Turf toe can often progress into a chronic problem..."
    - "A mild instance of turf toe (grade 1) can be merely aggravating while a serious case (grade 3) can be debilitating."

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22,140
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    78

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by jcr
    If ANYONE at the Eskimos office is offended, they can go screw themselves. WE support the Eskimos. One of the hallmarks of a successful team is independant messageboards. Live it it Dave.
    Blame the media not the Eskimos. They put a spin on anything they touch.

    It is kind of ironic that I mentioned the avatars earleir in the season. I was concerned with what my daughter was seeing.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22,140
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    78

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by Delorean
    I wonder which member (or prospective member) blew the whistle on this so-called story!

    My favourite part of the article was when they mentioned "B.O.N.E." as if to imply the 'nasty' meant pornographic

    My money is on Dowbiggen, or whatever that Calgary goofball reporters name is.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

  23. #53
    Jedrock43 Guest

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster
    Blame the media not the Eskimos. They put a spin on anything they touch.

    It is kind of ironic that I mentioned the avatars earleir in the season. I was concerned with what my daughter was seeing.

    Same here...

    I love Fishman and all but... The content in his avy is a little too risque for my tastes and I didn't really like seeing on here what with me being the father of two girls (14 and 6) and a boy (11)... The content in that avy is just a little too racy for my liking

    As far as the whole "Turn the avy feature off if it offends you" argument goes... A lot of the visitors to this site are not internet savvy enough to know what the hell you are referring to when you say that...

    I understand the need for free speech and the whole argument has a subjective bent to it which is a beautiful thing in my eyes.. I just think that we should be sensitive to the fact that first time visitors to this site might not understand that this is actually a football site first and foremost based upon some of the avys that are currently in use..

    My solution to the whole issue would be to tone the avys down and leave that sort of thing for the lounge..

    Flame away...

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Regina, Sk
    Posts
    19,501
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedrock43
    Same here...

    I love Fishman and all but... The content in his avy is a little too risque for my tastes and I didn't really like seeing on here what with me being the father of two girls (14 and 6) and a boy (11)... The content in that avy is just a little too racy for my liking

    As far as the whole "Turn the avy feature off if it offends you" argument goes... A lot of the visitors to this site are not internet savvy enough to know what the hell you are referring to when you say that...

    I understand the need for free speech and the whole argument has a subjective bent to it which is a beautiful thing in my eyes.. I just think that we should be sensitive to the fact that first time visitors to this site might not understand that this is actually a football site first and foremost based upon some of the avys that are currently in use..

    My solution to the whole issue would be to tone the avys down and leave that sort of thing for the lounge..

    Flame away...
    So thats why you got rid of the half naked man warriors.

  25. #55
    Jedrock43 Guest

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by esks4life
    So thats why you got rid of the half naked man warriors.

    Good one.. Rep for that one..

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22,140
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    78

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedrock43
    Same here...

    I love Fishman and all but... The content in his avy is a little too risque for my tastes and I didn't really like seeing on here what with me being the father of two girls (14 and 6) and a boy (11)... The content in that avy is just a little too racy for my liking

    As far as the whole "Turn the avy feature off if it offends you" argument goes... A lot of the visitors to this site are not internet savvy enough to know what the hell you are referring to when you say that...

    I understand the need for free speech and the whole argument has a subjective bent to it which is a beautiful thing in my eyes.. I just think that we should be sensitive to the fact that first time visitors to this site might not understand that this is actually a football site first and foremost based upon some of the avys that are currently in use..

    My solution to the whole issue would be to tone the avys down and leave that sort of thing for the lounge..

    Flame away...
    I took heat earlier in the season for saying the same thing.

    Not only do I like the other users, I love the avvys. But I would sooner see them toned down.

    Sorry guys, I don't want any of you getting a hate on for me.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Oakville; tequila.net
    Posts
    14,567
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Actually we (mods and admins) had already talked about shifting to a "turn avy's on" option... i.e. only those that want to see them could.

    Also we had toyed with the ideas as being open to members only so that a casual visitor would only be able to see the general football related discussions.

    These had been discussed but we hadn't moved on anything yet. It remains to be seen if and how we will.

    But you can rest assured that the decision will not be made because of the Sun article... it simply has forced us to bring this discussion out in public sooner rather than later.

    TT
    Turf Toe:
    - "...turf toe is a common malady that is more of a nuisance than a serious injury."
    - "Turf toe can often progress into a chronic problem..."
    - "A mild instance of turf toe (grade 1) can be merely aggravating while a serious case (grade 3) can be debilitating."

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. Albert
    Posts
    13,216
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedrock43
    Same here...

    I love Fishman and all but... The content in his avy is a little too risque for my tastes and I didn't really like seeing on here what with me being the father of two girls (14 and 6) and a boy (11)... The content in that avy is just a little too racy for my liking

    As far as the whole "Turn the avy feature off if it offends you" argument goes... A lot of the visitors to this site are not internet savvy enough to know what the hell you are referring to when you say that...

    I understand the need for free speech and the whole argument has a subjective bent to it which is a beautiful thing in my eyes.. I just think that we should be sensitive to the fact that first time visitors to this site might not understand that this is actually a football site first and foremost based upon some of the avys that are currently in use..

    My solution to the whole issue would be to tone the avys down and leave that sort of thing for the lounge..

    Flame away...
    I'm with you. I'd surf this site more at home if the avys were a bit cleaner. Not even a no chicks policy...but some have been a little over the top.
    I officially retract my vote for DDS as Prime Minister. He's clearly incompetent.

  29. #59
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,259
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    198

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedrock43
    Same here...

    I love Fishman and all but... The content in his avy is a little too risque for my tastes and I didn't really like seeing on here what with me being the father of two girls (14 and 6) and a boy (11)... The content in that avy is just a little too racy for my liking

    As far as the whole "Turn the avy feature off if it offends you" argument goes... A lot of the visitors to this site are not internet savvy enough to know what the hell you are referring to when you say that...

    I understand the need for free speech and the whole argument has a subjective bent to it which is a beautiful thing in my eyes.. I just think that we should be sensitive to the fact that first time visitors to this site might not understand that this is actually a football site first and foremost based upon some of the avys that are currently in use..

    My solution to the whole issue would be to tone the avys down and leave that sort of thing for the lounge..

    Flame away...
    The whole topic is under discussion by the mods and admin. One idea brought up is that the default setting would be for users not to be able to see avy's instead of the other way around.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,376
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Esks don't like avys on this site -- esp Fishman

    What if the picture is a self-portrait??? Is it still offensive????

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •