Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Eskimo Collectable

vCash

Question Ultimate Eskimo Collectable

A merging of a few of the previous topics....but a 2 parter:

1) What is the sweetest piece of Eskimo memoriabilia that you or someone you know has?

2) What would be the 1 thing you would love to have as far as Eskie collectables?

For me:

1) I have family with someone in and around the Eskimo family and back in '87 (I was a preteen then) I got a call saying he needed my help with something around his house on the weekend. When he picked me up he said he had to stop off and grab something from his friend. When we got to the friend's house, he asked if I wanted to come in - and in the basement was the Grey Cup and the Eskimo involved (who shall remain nameless) was having a party with his friends and the Cup. my picture with the cup is my most prized - just because of all of the hassle that went into surprising me!!!

2) I would love to be able to get a Normie Kwong signed (personalized)throwback Eskie jersey for my mom. Kwong was the 1st asian public figure in the 50's that was a local role model, and my mom's family is Chinese, so it is a big deal to this day when I bring hm up. If I could get that for her, she would freak out....
    I have OILERS season seats for sale dead centre ice and aisle seats - PM me for details!

vCash

Re: Ultimate Eskimo Collectable

My most prized possesion is a signed Jason Maas poster.

I would love to get a signed Jason Tucker Jersey if I could
    The beginning of their end

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

The following two items are probably my most cherished. The first is a team issued photo of the 1981 Esks, the greatest team the CFL has ever seen. This along with a Baltimore CFL Colts (not stallions) defensive playbook were gifts by Don Matthews.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

For me, it would probably be my Eskimo helmet (circa 93), my Esks hat signed by Willie Pless and the Giz, and my old Spalding J5V signed by Damon Allen who not only won the Cup that year but the MVP accolade as well.
    "ODERINT DUM METUANT" - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    The following two items are probably my most cherished. The first is a team issued photo of the 1981 Esks, the greatest team the CFL has ever seen. This along with a Baltimore CFL Colts (not stallions) defensive playbook were gifts by Don Matthews.
    That playbook is cool Diez, does it count as a gift if you steal it from him?

vCash

I didn't realize the significance of the fact it's a "Colts" playbook until a year or so later. Playbooks are rare to own, but this one is that much more rarefied.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I didn't realize the significance of the fact it's a "Colts" playbook until a year or so later. Playbooks are rare to own, but this one is that much more rarefied.
    Gotta be the same systems and such though right? Just a different name.

vCash

The Colts were forced to change their name to the Stallions and get rid of all "Colts" references. That's what makes it rare.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

The Colts were forced to change their name to the Stallions and get rid of all "Colts" references. That's what makes it rare.
    No I gather that much obviously, and yeah that is pretty cool, but that is probably the same defence they ran, and I would be interested to look through it.

vCash

I have the Decade of Excellence book and when I was booking a trip with Farley Travel he offered to get it autographed for me. I have the entire Eskimos Team from 19 82-83 season.

vCash

When I was a lot younger, I collected a lot newspaper stories and photos during the glory years. I've got scrapbooks detailing every Eskimo game played from 1978 to 1982.
    I'm also somewhat attached to a game worn Stew Hill jersey.

vCash

I've got Edmonton Journals from 1952 and up. Big difference in reporting then.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Hall made sense back then?
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Hall made sense back then?
    No he didn't. There was a lot less reported on the 'personal' lives of the players then. Now there's more than I want to know.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo
    No he didn't. There was a lot less reported on the 'personal' lives of the players then. Now there's more than I want to know.
    Like Nealon?
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

Just my hat right now And my copy of the Toronto Sun Grey Cup from '05

hopefully in the future a lot more will be collected
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam - It is better to suffer an injustice, than to do an injustice.

vCash

Geez... I've got a ton of stuff.

- Ticket stub, pin & programme from the '75 GC.
    - My Green & Gold pom-pom... one of the original ones given out at the very first EE game at CW in '78.

But likely the most interesting is something that is quite significant...
    My dad had a friend who owned the old "Riviera Hotel" on the southside (long gone I do believe). The Esks used to go there a lot for team meals. My dad's friend grabbed an autograph book and passed it around the table. The players and coaches all signed it. The year was 1972. Mean anything to anyone? That's right... the start of the current consecutive playoff appearance run.

It includes the likes of Greg Pipes, Pete Travis, Bayne Norrie, David Syme (!!), Tom Wilkinson, George McGowan, Charlie Turner, Don Warrington ( ), Dick Dupuis, Bob Howes, Roy Bell, Dave Cutler, Tyrone Walls, John LaGrone, Bobby Taylor, Roger Scales, Calvin Harrell and even Ray Jauch!

Little did I know what that team would start. Little did they know!

And what would I like to get? well... if they ever replace the seats at CW... I'll be damned if anyone else gets their hands on Section X, Row 30, Seats 1&2.
    Turf Toe:
    - "...turf toe is a common malady that is more of a nuisance than a serious injury."
    - "Turf toe can often progress into a chronic problem..."
    - "A mild instance of turf toe (grade 1) can be merely aggravating while a serious case (grade 3) can be debilitating."

vCash

My sweetest piece of momorabilia would have to be my Gizmo Bobble Head Doll. only one of a few thousand.
    Through the thick and the Thin I will bleed GREEN and GOLD.

vCash

A couple of other things I've thought of (though not as cool as the autograph book):
    - Section X t-shirt (Section X on the back, "Go Go Get 'em, Get 'em" on the front)... about 50 of these made back in the early 80s by one of the folks in our section
    - my old "love those Esks" pin from the 50s or 60s

non Esk cool things
    - two 'signature' footballs (1 brown panel, 3 white); one with last Ottawa Roughriders logo, the other with Baltimore logo (no name)!
    Turf Toe:
    - "...turf toe is a common malady that is more of a nuisance than a serious injury."
    - "Turf toe can often progress into a chronic problem..."
    - "A mild instance of turf toe (grade 1) can be merely aggravating while a serious case (grade 3) can be debilitating."

vCash

So Diesel does this mean that if Tom Higgins had layed some cool swag on you before getting run out of Edmonton, you'd have cut him as much slack as you give the Don?

I'm not much for collecting, hence the sickening number of now-valuable hockey and baseball cards I stupidly defaced as a kid in the early 1970's by writing updated info on the fronts. However I do have a "signature" football that my dad got for me that was autographed by every member of the 1970 Eskimos.

vCash

So Diesel does this mean that if Tom Higgins had layed some cool swag on you before getting run out of Edmonton, you'd have cut him as much slack as you give the Don?
    Hardly. I didn't like the guy from the moment that commie red bastage came to the organization.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Hardly. I didn't like the guy from the moment that commie red bastage came to the organization.
    Well it's good to know that your affection can't be bought.

vCash

No but it can be rented...
    - Dan Kepley

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

No but it can be rented...
    man-whore....

Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

- Dan Kepley

Super Moderator

vCash

damn.......fortune city got my Fred Garvin (male prostitute) pic...
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

" Help me with my truss....."
    - Dan Kepley

Super Moderator

vCash

Akroyd used to be so good.....

vCash

" The Bass-o-matic 5000"
    " Wow, that's some great bass!"
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Every kid needs a big bag of broken glass.