Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alberta, desert bound...

vCash

Science Alberta, desert bound...

http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/article.cfm?id=7454

One of the absolutely worst and most brain dead wastes of water that has been going on for years is allowing oil companies to pump fresh water down wells thus essentailly removing that water from the water table for a long time if not permanently.

vCash

Re: Alberta, desert bound...

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/article.cfm?id=7454

One of the absolutely worst and most brain dead wastes of water that has been going on for years is allowing oil companies to pump fresh water down wells thus essentailly removing that water from the water table for a long time if not permanently.

Before you get in a huff, you should recognize there is some irony here. In drilling for oil, it would be preferable to use any unusable waste water to inject back down hole.

However, the EUB does not allow it -- get this -- for fear of damage to the environment.

So the EUB is saving the environment while, at the same time, destroying fresh water supplies.

The key to this problem is two fold:

1. More waste water treatment plants to clean the waste water for use in downhole injection.

2. New design to limit the amount of water actually needed. In this avenue, there has been significant improvement, but more work is needed.

vCash

I've studied this as it's a pet topic of mine. I predict water will be the next crisis, perhaps surpassing oil. In a decade the problem will be severe. I feel wars will be fought over water and this will be a source of a great deal of hardship between Canada and the U.S. We're not using it very wisely. I save every bit of water I can because I think I know the problem that's coming. Far worse than man's contribution to global warming, IMO.

vCash

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

*breaks out suntan lotion and shades*

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGuy
    I've studied this as it's a pet topic of mine. I predict water will be the next crisis, perhaps surpassing oil. In a decade the problem will be severe. I feel wars will be fought over water and this will be a source of a great deal of hardship between Canada and the U.S. We're not using it very wisely. I save every bit of water I can because I think I know the problem that's coming. Far worse than man's contribution to global warming, IMO.
    That's the real cause of conflict in the Palestinian / Isreali conflicts I've heard. People want to make sure that they've got the wadi on their side of the border.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

Wow, that's two threads where Steve and MG have agreed. Must be a sign of the end times.

vCash

There is a big desire right now in the oil industry for finding a way to clean and re-use dirty water, and some say that significant breakthroughs are just around the corner.
    These pretzels are making me thirsty.

vCash

Alberta desert bound?

so, it's becoming saskatchewanized.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimos32001
    so, it's becoming saskatchewanized.
    I don't think the Third Way involves lobotomies.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby
    These pretzels are making me thirsty.

vCash

Ah, it's the only way we can put up you guys to the west
    It's gonna be legen... wait for it, and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second half of the word is ...dary....

LEGENDARY

vCash

nor inbreeeding.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by earl2
    There is a big desire right now in the oil industry for finding a way to clean and re-use dirty water, and some say that significant breakthroughs are just around the corner.

Several smaller Alberta companies are already using a better method instead of wastewater and that's pumping CO2 into old wells. The recovery % is much higher than using water and it provides a usefull purpose for CO2. Look for this technology to expand big time over the next decade
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    Several smaller Alberta companies are already using a better method instead of wastewater and that's pumping CO2 into old wells. The recovery % is much higher than using water and it provides a usefull purpose for CO2. Look for this technology to expand big time over the next decade
    The CO2 has been going on at an oil field for years in Weyburn Sk. that had dropped production and was close to being shut down, there's supposed to be good results so far there. I don't know about the heavy oil areas for CO2 though, I'll be willing to bet they'll still require thermal recovery. Husky Oil has a steam flood a few miles from the family farm east of Lloydmnister thats been going strong since the late 70's and it gets it's source water from the North Sask River. When I got my steam time there for my power engineering in 1990 I remember they were steaming in excess of 1200M3 feedwater/day.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

liquid nitrogen is also becoming huge....I know that the number of cryogenic units (you may see many of the Air Liquide tankers) in the last five years has increased by easily 10x....
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

Using CO2 can potentially kill two birds with one stone, first it increases the recovery% more than water and second it gives a very usefull way to deal with large amounts of CO2
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Using CO2 can potentially kill two birds with one stone, first it increases the recovery% more than water and second it gives a very usefull way to deal with large amounts of CO2

I live in Edmonton. I LIKE global warming. If only it was really happening...
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

There is climate change occuring, of that I have no doubt. The reasons and theories offered by politicos and special interest groups is what I look at with a very skeptical eye. One has to look past their agenda$ to find the real reasons.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

There is climate change occuring, of that I have no doubt.

I agree 100%... Climate changes happen everywhere eventually.. Its nature. IMO our " pollution is speeding up the process - but the change will happen reguardless of what pollution we throw into the air.

vCash

The enviro movement has cried wolf too many times for me to believe anything they say anymore. I'm more likely to trust a greasy televangelist.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jcr
    The enviro movement has cried wolf too many times for me to believe anything they say anymore. I'm more likely to trust a greasy televangelist.
    Or perhaps they have cried wolf very few times, they have not been taken seriously and thus now we have a problem.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Or perhaps they have cried wolf very few times, they have not been taken seriously and thus now we have a problem.
    1970: World will end because of global cooling
    1980: Rainforests will be gone in 10 years
    1990: Icecaps will melt in 10 years due to global warming
    1995: World will starve to death due to overpopulation
    2000: Icecaps will melt in 10 years due to global warming

They've cried wolf many times. Not few times.

vCash

Global warming is happening. It's a fact.

The debateable point is what is causing the warming.

Top scientists say that it the massive amounts of CO2 we are pumping in the atmosphere at alarming levels. Theoretically, this can cause warming. In reality, we are warming.

Industry says scientists are stupid. The same science that put man on the moon and developed an atomic bomb. They know nothing.

vCash

Global warming is happening. It's a theory.
    There. Fixed.

vCash

I guess the sand that some have their heads stuck in isn't warming as fast the polar regions.

vCash

How is it that we are continually having the "2nd warmest day in the last 100 years", or the "third warmest month on record"?

What happened to cause the warmest days, or months? why is it that I always read about temp records being set in the early 1900's? Were we going through a global warming then? If so, what caused it? If not, what is the expenation for the temps?
    Escalators never actually "break".... they become stairs
    ~ Mitch Hedberg

vCash

How is it that places like India and Israel have set daily records for the coolest temperatures. How is it that Tehran had snow for the first time on record last year?

How is it that they can't seem to prove this global warming theory? How is it that climate trends from all over the world show differently?

vCash

How is it that places like India and Israel have set daily records for the coolest temperatures. How is it that Tehran had snow for the first time on record last year?

How is it that they can't seem to prove this global warming theory? How is it that climate trends from all over the world show differently?
    Exactly. Where's the "global" part of global warming?
    I officially retract my vote for DDS as Prime Minister. He's clearly incompetent.

vCash

Are you seriously asking this? An occurance isn't a trend. Here is a math quiz for you.

Which location has the highest average temperature?

Location A

Location B